Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA announced today in a new post on the Madden NFL blog that they have implemented several popular community requests into franchise mode. Let's take a look at them:

• Around The League Score Ticker: Be immersed in Sunday football, with the new Around The League Score Ticker. While playing your game, you will see score updates occur from games around the league. For example, if you’re playing a 1pm Sunday game, you will see score updates and stat lines for all the other 1pm games.
  • Full Player Editing: As the commissioner in your league, you now have the ability to customize almost everything about all the players. You will be able to adjust appearance, ratings, traits, and contract information for the entire league, letting you make tweaks as you see fit to alter players.
  • Practice Squad: Each team now has a 10-man Practice Squad that they can control week-to-week. It all starts in week 4 of the preseason. Instead of cutting players, you can now easily move eligible players to the Practice Squad where they will develop as you train the various position groups during weekly training.
  • Dynamic Development Trait: Each player’s development trait is the biggest defining factor in how he develops. Players with a Superstar trait will stay in the league longer and develop into the top tier talent, while players with the Slow trait will not make it in the league long.
  • Regression Feedback: As a coach or owner, you need to have a pulse on your team’s development and you need to know exactly when your team regresses and now you will in Madden NFL 17.
  • Player Card Improvements: The Player Card has been bolstered with three key improvements. The first is a way to quickly see all the attributes for a specific player and how they rank in the league based on overall rating. The second is a view so you can see the progression history for the player. This lets you see where all the XP came from and when ratings have been impacted whether through progression or regression. Last but not least, the player card is now accessible from more areas so you will always be just a step or two from seeing the information you want.

What do you think of these add-ons? Time for rejoicing for several right?

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 StL_RamZ @ 06/13/16 08:31 AM
We are getting more blogs about franchise mode right? This can't be it....right

# 142 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yeah, a few of the others in the top ten we were told would not make it in.

I'm not overly satisfied and I'm not overly disappointed in the updates, either, kind of just meh.

The fact that you, and many of us feel the same way- just kind of meh, is what im pissed about.They said it was a focus, put more into it this year, and Rex claimed they were saving the best for last when talking about the CFM blogs and news.If this is the best they can do in a years time. I seriously give up on them every making cfm great.I dont have another 30 years to wait.

Quote:
I will be using gameplanning and practice squads for sure.
Ok here is my thing, i still dont know how much info on my current week opponent im going to see.If its only his fav 3 plays on off and def, that is just weak and not even close to enough of an addition. Also , i am so sick of "boosts" in madden. The fact you get boosts to your players when you run plays from your gameplaning just kind of makes me sick to my stomach.So to me that alone counter acts the possible good of gameplanning now.Want to run 4 verts still... just make it your gameplanning each week and your guys will gets boosts when running it.... i can see that turning out real weel when people figure out how to manipulate it, as they always do.

Quote:
He said to get on Twitter and tell them what is missing and they will try to get it in before 18.
Ok, look, ive done that for the last 4 years now, and frankly im sick of wasting my time with them.They just gonna add the gimmicy things they want to add to CFM and toss in a few simple things we ask for, but we want something somewhat "Complicated" and nope, forget it.I dont see how telling them stuff is helping to be honest when it comes to CFM.The suits obviously dont care about it, even though in that Mike and Mike video they said Franchise is the most popular mode in madden.... odd statement.

Quote:
I still feel that with better gameplay, adequate CFM(better than the last 4 yrs) and better presentation will get me to a good playing NFL video football game.
While i agree better gameplay can be good, i disagree that CFM is better than last 4 years, to me its about the same really as far as things i really find useful being added.Since i run an online league and its the only reason i buy madden, lackluster additions added to cfm( when acting like it would be something grand) overrides gameplay improvements.

# 143 Grey_Osprey @ 06/13/16 08:36 AM
After seeing the gameplay blog and considering they were saving the best for last, I do feel a bit disappointed and underwhelmed with CFM/franchise.

Obviously being able to edit everything about a player is the big one, but outside of editing contracts, I'm not sure it's how I want to spend my time. The rest of it really doesn't have any "wow" factor for me.

I was hoping to see coaching staffs, a coaching carousel, revamped scouting and free agency, more dynamic contracts, vastly improved cpu AI - roster management, etc - rebranding, vastly improved relocation, uniform creation, create-A-team (expansion teams?), conference realignment, etc, etc.

Speaking of which, has it been stated if there's been ANY changes to relocation, uniforms, team names, or stadiums? Or if there's been any changes to Owners Mode?

# 144 roadman @ 06/13/16 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat

While i agree better gameplay can be good, i disagree that CFM is better than last 4 years, to me its about the same really as far as things i really find useful being added.Since i run an online league and its the only reason i buy madden, lackluster additions added to cfm( when acting like it would be something grand) overrides gameplay improvements.
This is where I will agree to disagree with you, all the other stuff you said prior I'm in total agreement.

I'm still playing Madden 16 and it's the game play that had me immersed, not CFM. So, if I will like a few additions to CFM and the game play is much better than 16, I should be able to get my mileage out of it.

To each their own.

# 145 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 09:10 AM
Quote:
This is where I will agree to disagree with you, all the other stuff you said prior I'm in total agreement.

I'm still playing Madden 16 and it's the game play that had me immersed, not CFM. So, if I will like a few additions to CFM and the game play is much better than 16, I should be able to get my mileage out of it.

To each their own.
Yes im still playing it too, our league runs year round every year. The issue to me is ,they acted like it was really going to be alot added to CFM and frankly its not.I feel lied to , period.Something EA has done alot over the years and while i see gameplay improving in large leaps, i dont see that in CFM, yet for the second year in a row it was "more put into cfm than ever".... that doesnt sit well with me , when its the only reason i buy this game. Im still baffled why they put time in some of that stuff, but didnt finish what they started in giving us a real draft board when they started a framework for it last year.That just ticks me off.

# 146 brza37 @ 06/13/16 09:13 AM
Quote:
Yes im still playing it too, our league runs year round every year. The issue to me is ,they acted like it was really going to be alot added to CFM and frankly its not.I feel lied to , period.Something EA has done alot over the years and while i see gameplay improving in large leaps, i dont see that in CFM, yet for the second year in a row it was "more put into cfm than ever".... that doesnt sit well with me , when its the only reason i buy this game. Im still baffled why they put time in some of that stuff, but didnt finish what they started in giving us a real draft board when they started a framework for it last year.That just ticks me off.
Exactly! I cannot understand why they wouldn't finish the draft board. They acknowledged last year that they knew it wasn't implemented the way we wanted it to be and that they needed to add the ability to rank players. Given a full year its mind-boggling that they didn't finish the feature.

# 147 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 09:47 AM
Quote:
They get their many community requests from websites not just OS, but websites similar to OS.

Here is a sample of one of them:

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...xes/shopmaster

I don't see draft board in the top 50.

Plus, Shopmaster said he feels there is more info to drop for CFM.

Id also note this : this is the current site Shop had for people ranking top things they wanted in 17 - http://cfmmovement.com/rank-your-cfm-priorities/ This was up all year after 16 came out.

Draft Board , clearly a top 5 thing... they acknowledged last year they needed to add it,put in watch list as a suppliment until this year... yet not touched.

# 148 roadman @ 06/13/16 10:01 AM
Quote:
Id also note this : this is the current site Shop had for people ranking top things they wanted in 17 - http://cfmmovement.com/rank-your-cfm-priorities/ This was up all year after 16 came out.

Draft Board , clearly a top 5 thing... they acknowledged last year they needed to add it,put in watch list as a suppliment until this year... yet not touched.
Great find, my friend, thank you. My apologies for using an outdated CFM ranking survey.

Without working at EA, it's all about the priority, timing and resources according to Rex and Clint. 3 out of the top 5 are in the game at launch, formation subs could be in the game after launch and and JP has already mentioned to Rex, Clint and John White on Twitter that draft boards is something that needs to be in the game.

# 149 jeremym480 @ 06/13/16 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse79x
I don't understand with so many being involved in online leagues, which in turn greatly expands the longevity of the game, how so little focus is put on improving things for online leagues.

I'm not a programmer but I don't see how hard it would be to add exhibition games to cfm leagues. Or even a draft board for those who can't make a draft. Ability to do more while away from console using the website would be great as well. Like scouting or letting commishes auto users, undo games or roster dumps.

I don't hate some of the changes but some seem to be very minor or not meant for online leagues. Editable players is great for offline I guess but leagues won't use that except maybe to change names.
I agree with you. Exhibition games and a real draft board would be great additions to online franchises. The one thing that I really wanted to see the most was auto mid game saves during games (even if it just saved at halftime). There's nothing worse than a disconnection with only a minute or two left in a game, especially since the league I was in last year played 15 minute quarters and it took over an hour an a half to two hours to play a game. Save points not making it in will probably keep me offline only this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I wish they just had a formula for auto progression like on NBA 2k. at end of season players go up or down based on a combination of their age, potential, and performance. theres even a slider to set from 1-100 how much players will progress and theres a slider for regression too so you can really make it exactly how you want it. its easy, simple, realistic, and doesn't feel like a gimmick at all. because its done right.

Madden's current XP progression system feels like something out of an arcade football mobile game you buy in the app store for $9.99. not like something you'd find in a top of the line sports title. in addition, while customization is a good thing - being able to pick and choose exactly what ratings to increase and by how much really takes me out of the realm of immersion.

Yeah, you can use your imagination and pretend like your the coach and you're telling that player to practice and improve those skills - but until theres variables that go into how much the player gains from it like you would find in real life (like a worth ethic rating or a rating for your coaches motivation) it just feels like one big gimmick. the fact that falling literally a few yards short of a season goal will net your player a lot less XP then someone else who got those yards is really just the icing on EA's yearly disappointment cake. I know what I'll be wishing for this year when I blow out the candles.
Good post. I love NBA 2K's progression/regression system. Potential, stats, peak age, coaches, mid-year training with intensity levels, and end of the year training camps all make up how much a player progresses/regresses. It's pretty much the perfect system, in my opinion.

Quote:
I think you're short selling Practice Squads short a little bit. I'm not a game developer, but to me the mechanics that gives other users the ability to poach players away from you and you would either have to add that player to your 53 man roster or lose them seems like a lot of work.

Regarding editing rosters commissioners/co-commissioners could easily just change the name, skin tone and college of some of the top skill players if they chose to. Therefore, if you want Deshaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Leonard Fournette, etc. in your online league you have that option now. I for one, absolutely love that.

I admit, that this is somewhat "out of the box" way to look at things, but editing players does have some other value, as well. For one, if something is messed up with regression like WR speed or OL blocking, then you know longer have to wait on a patch. I know it would require a little work, but you and the co-commishes could easily fix all of that yourself rather than waiting and since there's a log that tracks everything, then the rest of the league can see your changes. Also in the case that you ever have to punish someone for breaking a rule editing can be a great tool. Example: Dallas user used Dez to user catch in a no switch league. Well, now as punishment rather than suspending Dez instead all of his catch ratings are moved down to 40 for the next 4 games. Get creative with it

Other than that I don't know if there's a lot to be excited about "franchise-wise" for online leagues. Hopefully, they add in some stuff post release, if not would think that the gameplay and commentary improvements would make Madden 17 a must buy for most online guys.

# 150 Reed1417 @ 06/13/16 10:14 AM
So i just want to say my bit on XP. As a 24 year old male who is working on a radio career, i still have a decent amount of time to play games. RPG'S are my bread and butter so since they have put this XP system in place it's easy for me to understand and it allows me to have a direct impact on how I want to develop my players. I'm a sim football guy too and I still dig having some control over how my players progress. Just because of my RPG background though I can assure you I don't "stat chase" because that's not "sim" to me.
One of my big complaints of the XP system was that I could not develop every position such as O-linemen and it seems that with this new system they have found a way to do that. That, makes me happy. As long as they make a progression system that's easy for people to understand that sounds like a win to me.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

# 151 Cowboy008 @ 06/13/16 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StL_RamZ
We are getting more blogs about franchise mode right? This can't be it....right
Don't know. Looks like they made some tweaks to scouting but aren't sure if they are going to keep them in or not

# 152 khaliib @ 06/13/16 10:23 AM
Is there anyway of bringing the thread back to dealing with the OP?

Some don't like any of what's been added, as they've noted in just about every other thread they've visited dealing with M17, even prior to EA Play info being done.

There's little discussion to be had about the mechanisms noted in the OP due to the path the thread has seem to taken.

If I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mind, at some point it doesn't become condusive to a constructive dialog within the OP.

Anyways, a couple of gamers have asked on Twitter to give info on any work done to "Stamina" since its noted as taken a ratings hit when an injured player is playing not fully healed.

Hope to get some feedback on this within another blog.

# 153 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 10:38 AM
Quote:
Great find, my friend, thank you. My apologies for using an outdated CFM ranking survey.

Without working at EA, it's all about the priority, timing and resources according to Rex and Clint. 3 out of the top 5 are in the game at launch, formation subs could be in the game after launch and and JP has already mentioned to Rex, Clint and John White on Twitter that draft boards is something that needs to be in the game.
so just curious which are the 3 of top 5 ? Game prep improved and practice squad ... whats the third one?

# 154 PPerfect_CJ @ 06/13/16 10:45 AM
I had no plans of ever buying another Madden...but full player edit is going to make me rethink that.

# 155 roadman @ 06/13/16 10:47 AM
Quote:
so just curious which are the 3 of top 5 ? Game prep improved and practice squad ... whats the third one?
Fix regression, speed regression by WR's has been fixed.

# 156 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 11:00 AM
Quote:
Fix regression, speed regression by WR's has been fixed.
as also said last couple of years, #believeitwheniseeit

Ill try to find it again, somewhere this am i saw someone post a screenshot, showing a player losing -2 speed points in a year again.Seems they said it happened numerous years for the guy... That sounds like what its been in 16

# 157 LionsFanNJ @ 06/13/16 11:22 AM
Full player editing is an awesome feature to CFM. Not sure how i'll use practice squads though, as i usually just go to free practice with my whole team and run plays there..

Its just too bad there's so many games coming out near the same timeframe. Madden just may have to wait, i don't have the money to spend. But i'll surely like the editing.

The other feaures are pretty good as well.

Now if only i could get selectable weather so i'm not always playing in sunshine every game

# 158 Chin2112 @ 06/13/16 11:30 AM
People complaining about roster dumps and being able to revert them, you can just add the players back and give them a contract. Will it be perfect, no. Is it a work around, yes.

Player edits can be used online as well. If 97 speed WRs are too OP it gives the commish a chance to have a top speed limit that doesn't break the game.

Also allows commishs to counter any speed/acc declines.

Why do people always jump on the negative side and not look at the positives

# 159 Armor and Sword @ 06/13/16 11:36 AM
Very very excited for Madden 17. The score ticker so subtle yet so huge to immersion. I am loving the fact I now have a more living and breathing CFM with just that alone.

The practice squad is a monster new feature. Now we can really develop some young guys who are simply not ready to take up a roster spot. You can go after veterans to make a run at the title now yet stash away 5th, 6th and 7th round rookies or even free agent rookies who get cut by other teams. It add's such a huge layer of roster management to Madden that was sorely needed.

Play the Moments is actually something I really am curious about. It is akin to Quick Counts on The Show. I think this is a great new feature as EA seems to understand a core section of their game buying base are their pioneer Madden gamers (like myself as I am an old fart) and don't have nearly as much time to play 2-3 games a day yet alone one! I do play every snap....but if I am crunched for time and don't want to go into rest mode and come back to the game later, it's nice to have this option to fly through a game when/if I want. I have a feeling it will be a hugely popular feature for a good amount of older Madden players in the mainstream.

Gameplanning - Nice. Now this looks like an expansion of game prep. But I appreciate the in game boosts that can be earned by using this feature. I am really looking forward to using this though. It will make game preparation more immersive knowing we get a nice payoff (in game boosts for certain positions, plays etc) if we can do well in drills designed to take advantage of a team's weakness. Tendency tracking is also another immersive feature which add's a layer of strategy to the gameplanning feature. Also three different approaches to gameplans is nice. If I am out of the playoff race, I can focus on player development. If I am a dominant team I can focus on my money plays/tendencies. If I am facing a tough team, I can hone in on their weak spot and try to exploit it. All great additions.

Player Development Focus - Much needed. I am glad I can focus on that LT, MLB or WR I took in the draft more than other players. Another cool little addition to make you decide things within your roster management strategy.

Full Player Editing - Thank goodness it is back. I was really let down when it was removed on 13 and always hoped it would return. Well it has. So now we can do whatever our hearts content to our rosters, rookies and aging superstars (extend a career perhaps? Fix some over done regression? Change a rookies name and looks to what we want?) It is now possible to make your league more immersive again with player editing.

Dynamic Development Trait - Nice to see this possibly work like it should with Superstar dev traits really blooming and slow dev traits busting out of the league quicker.

I am sure some more CFM news will come out.....but this is all looking great to me. 16 was the best playing Madden ever (not even close for me) and 17 is shaping up into a juggernaut Madden release.

# 160 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 11:37 AM
Quote:
as also said last couple of years, #believeitwheniseeit

Ill try to find it again, somewhere this am i saw someone post a screenshot, showing a player losing -2 speed points in a year again.Seems they said it happened numerous years for the guy... That sounds like what its been in 16
Ok here it is -

Looks like players over 30 going to be losing -2 points in numerous areas now ..... including speed. Not sure how improved that is from this year to be honest.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.