Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K has just posted a new trailer highlighting all-new NBA 2K17 commentary, which includes Dynamic Booth and the debut of new analysts including Chris Webber, Brent Barry, Steve Smith, and Doris Burke complementing Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and Greg Anthony (lead analyst). For the first time, users will have variable secondary analysts for various games throughout the NBA season.

Additionally, this year’s title builds upon the NBA 2K series’ signature presentation package by adding:
  • Authentic Arena Crowds – featuring all 30 home teams.
  • Coach Mic-Up RealVoice – new feature with 200+ coach mic-up clips and huddles. Includes 1:1 body and facial animations.
  • New Sideline Commentary – featuring TNT and TBS broadcasting reporter David Aldridge.
  • MyPLAYER Interviews – Shaq, Kenny, and David Aldridge will interview your MyPLAYER at end of half, and end of game, including on the Studio Show.
  • Authentic Arena Sound FX – including net, rim, dunk, buzzers, horns, chants, game sound effects, per each NBA arena.
  • RealVoice Interviews (Players and Coaches) – including 150+ new interviews at end of half and end of game with coaches and players.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 181 The 24th Letter @ 09/08/16 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
This is exactly why I love the commentary in this year's Madden. When they are calling the game, it sounds like they are watching it. I would love to get that feeling when playing NBA 2k. The situational awareness is exactly what I would love to see improved in 2k. I could not think of those words for the life of me before lol.
See I think we over look those instances because they've been happening for so long in 2k, and they are fresh in Madden

If you think about it, basketball has triple the amount of possesions of football. So for one of the commentators to refer to something that happned earlier in the game is a bit more of a challenge....but there are at least 10-15 instances when they will do that in 2k....

# 182 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
Really? I've definitely noticed when things happen to fast for the commentators and they talk about something that happened during the timeout like 15 seconds later. It mainly tends to be an issue in the fourth quarter I've noticed.

They also don't really ever get overly excited if a player is going nuts.
I post this video a LOT when talking about commentary and crowd involvement, but I can't help it. The day I see the crowd and commentators react to something in the game like this, that is the day when presentation is done perfectly.

Another thing to note is how much focus is on this specific game versus back story.

# 183 Poke @ 09/08/16 04:51 PM
Well I guess I missed it because the video is private now, smh

# 184 Mauer4MVP @ 09/08/16 04:53 PM
Quote:
I post this video a LOT when talking about commentary and crowd involvement, but I can't help it. The day I see the crowd and commentators react to something in the game like this, that is the day when presentation is done perfectly.

Thanks for reminding me how awful Austin Carr and Fred McLeod are. Worst in the league.

# 185 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 04:56 PM
Quote:
Definitely, but you could easily have him in the studio commentating a few close games like he does in real life. That and the crowd in the last two minutes make for some pretty dull endings even when something amazing happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHR5G0XLK3g

Look at how terrible the commentary is in that video.

There's basically no recognition of the situation until the Denver guy hits the shot. That all goes back to 2K always wanting the commentates to mention something, even when some moments simply don't call for it and don't do it in real life.

Harlan typically calls everything in the last few minutes of the game.
"shot clock at 4....LeBron.....BIG TIME TRIPLE!"

That kind of thing on all the shots, and then he'll get all excited on the last play of a game and say something like

"Iguodalaaaaaaa, gooodddddddd, he got ittt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0T6k2k90w

I understand player specific would be near impossible, unless you had him chained to a chair for weeks on end, but surely there's a way we can get more of that excitement in the game.

and even then Harlan says something for a brief second before Greg Anthony just commentates on how he's played like it's the middle of the game.
No offense man but you overuse the word "easy" when it comes to what 2k can add or change in this game. Just because you sit Harlan down and have him call "a few close games like he does in real life" doesnt mean its easy to implement that commentary into every close late game scenario.

In fact, the video you showed is an example of what you suggested. They recorded a late game generic shot line and it came off flat.

I'm all for Harlan recording more up tempo content but its a trade off. They have limited time and a constant demand for new commentary content each year. So they can either have Harlan record certain previously recorded calls over with a more excited or urgent voice (for late game scenarios) or they can add more completely new commentary.

Given the short dev cycle and Harlan's availability, they likely cant get both in.

Also the examples, you list arent generic (Lebron and Iggy references)...they are specific and not easy to just drop into other commentary.

# 186 ProfessaPackMan @ 09/08/16 04:56 PM
Quote:
Really? I've definitely noticed when things happen to fast for the commentators and they talk about something that happened during the timeout like 15 seconds later. It mainly tends to be an issue in the fourth quarter I've noticed.

They also don't really ever get overly excited if a player is going nuts.
Shoot, the crowd doesn't even get overly excited if a player is going nuts so I can't blame them, lol.

You could have Klay Thompson score like 30 straight points and they'll act like nothing is happening.

But I've seen what you describe happen in the games I've played. Most times, it was usually in the 4th quarter as you mentioned but when the game is in blowout.

# 187 TheBadazz @ 09/08/16 04:58 PM
I missed the trailer, It now says video is private.

# 188 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Shoot, the crowd doesn't even get overly excited if a player is going nuts so I can't blame them, lol.

You could have Klay Thompson score like 30 straight points and they'll act like nothing is happening.

But I've seen what you describe happen in the games I've played. Most times, it was usually in the 4th quarter as you mentioned but when the game is in blowout.
LOL. I can picture Harlan screaming about Klay and the crowd is completely silent.

# 189 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Thanks for reminding me how awful Austin Carr and Fred McLeod are. Worst in the league.
Lol I love listening to them. Could be because I'm from Cleveland, but I much prefer them to the TNT crew.

# 190 Poke @ 09/08/16 05:05 PM
nevermind, its viewable on their facebook page

# 191 Poke @ 09/08/16 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadazz
I missed the trailer, It now says video is private.
It's viewable on their facebook page

# 192 strawberryshortcake @ 09/08/16 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke
Well I guess I missed it because the video is private now, smh
2k reuploaded it.

# 193 TheBadazz @ 09/08/16 05:09 PM
That was crazy! "I can't wait to get it on!"

# 194 Eman5805 @ 09/08/16 05:13 PM
That's how you take presentation to the next level, 2K.

You works are not forgotten!

# 195 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 05:15 PM
Quote:
They just added 11 different commentary pairings, so I'm not going to believe that making some realistic sounding game endings is beyond them.

They need to record more lines that Harlan would do late in a game, even if they sound ****ty because they're generic.

Obviously Harlan would be a busy man, but I think they already undertook a bigger thing with the dynamic commentary with him involved this year, so I don't see why they can't do it.
Assumptions man.

We have no idea if it required more time this year to work with more people. If anything, I'd guess that the Anthony/Kellogg commentary is pretty much the same (with some small timely updates) and they used the time designated in the past for them to record with Webber/Smith/Burke/Barry.

# 196 xman2k @ 09/08/16 05:16 PM
Unbelievable, something about the graphics and gameplay just set it apart from everything else. I thought 2k16 was the utmost top in these departments, after watching this (especially that interview), I'm ecstatic, wow. This is what sets 2k apart, had it not been for them, we would never have ever witnessed these kinds of evolutionary advances in presentation. Heck we may have never even gotten any historic teams, I'm so happy

# 197 DC @ 09/08/16 05:21 PM
Everything is easy when you don't have to do anything but sit there and tell other people how easy their job is

# 198 ChaseB @ 09/08/16 05:23 PM
Quote:
Lol I love listening to them. Could be because I'm from Cleveland, but I much prefer them to the TNT crew.

Captain Giggles Carr is never the choice.

# 199 ProfessaPackMan @ 09/08/16 05:28 PM
Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello(or Jim Spinarkel) >>>>>

# 200 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 05:36 PM
Quote:
No, it's just common sense.

11 commentary teams would be much harder to implement, unless they took shortcuts and there isn't much depth in commentary. But I highly doubt that.

It's actually not common sense at all when it comes to the amount of work Harlan would have to do but I'll move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.