Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

Polygon has posted a new MLB The Show 17 article on the improved player faces and lighting we will see in the game this year. These improvements will also be seen in Road to the Show, as the team has bumped up from 17 heads to over 40.

Quote:
It's all about the lighting on the faces, how light affects the skin tone and how light affects the skin tone when it's being shadowed by a ballcap," Russell said. "The lighting we had last year wasn't perfect, and we were basically dimming everything and giving you too much energy from nowhere, for a guy with a ballcap on. Now in real life, if you have a ballcap on, that shadow is being created, but you still have light energy coming from the ground.

They have also included a couple of screenshots showing off the faces of Clayton Kershaw and José Altuve from MLB The Show 16 vs. MLB The Show 17.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 HustlinOwl @ 02/14/17 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
They do not have new faces all the improvements are from this year's graphical improvements feature suite. None of those guys have new face scans.
same for fans in the stands?

# 42 WaitTilNextYear @ 02/14/17 03:12 PM
Dare I say these look almost photorealistic?

EDIT: I knew they'd "crack the code" for the lighting again. lol

# 43 philmnn @ 02/14/17 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectsMetalcore
"They do not have new faces all the improvements are from this year's graphical improvements feature suite. None of those guys have new face scans."

This is a very ignorant question so pardon me, but does that even mean? How do you improve faces with a new face scan? Lighting? There seems to be more work done than just lighting. May someone please explain how this works?
I'm no graphic designer, but a scan is a scan. There's a video from either last year or 2 years ago showing how SCEA scans players faces. They use dozens of cameras in a 360 view for each player. That means the images they have are as good as it gets, the graphics in recent years were not up to par to mimic those real life images. This year they improved and tweaked the graphics/shadows etc to closer mimic those real life scans. It's not like their scans automatically turn to video game graphics. I'm assuming obviously more power and detail was put in to making real life look more like real life. In sum, the team's scan capturing equipment is as good as it gets, they're simply trying to figure out how to get as much detail in the game as the scans show.

# 44 CoiaNY @ 02/14/17 03:44 PM
Quote:
They do not have new faces all the improvements are from this year's graphical improvements feature suite. None of those guys have new face scans.
Very interesting! Does the team get an updaed graphical improvements feature suite every year, or is that one of those things that released every so now and then?

# 45 Caulfield @ 02/14/17 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'm about 101% positive your Lindors and Kershaws and Altuves will have improved faces but the equipment I cant even venture a guess.
Quote:
Ah, thanks, fixxed!

# 46 SilverBullet1929 @ 02/14/17 05:34 PM
To: SCEA Dev Team...

Will you be my Valentine?

# 47 Finn @ 02/14/17 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectsMetalcore
So the way they improved the face models this year is inherently superior to face scans?

I believe the new graphic suite they applied to the already on hand asset (face scan) is superior to the graphic suite they used in 16. Sounds like the face model/scan asset is the same as from 2016 but the graphics suite be it shaders, texture rendering etc... has been upgraded this year.

In short looks like the programmers and artists have been putting in a lot of work to extract a lot more from assets they already had, rather than the assumption that they may have just upgraded some cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 48 legacyme3 @ 02/14/17 05:46 PM
I cannot wait. No. I cannot wait. Give me the game now.

# 49 Caulfield @ 02/14/17 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
To: SCEA Dev Team...

Will you be my Valentine?

Attachment 131117

Or-

It may be June or July before I get an OSFM season rolling, what with the 49 new head models and plus new body models, equipment and what not. We all just need to remember to be extra patient with 17's OSFM versions. In the end it will all be worth it.

# 50 Syce @ 02/14/17 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoiaNY
Very interesting! Does the team get an updaed graphical improvements feature suite every year, or is that one of those things that released every so now and then?
its the same lighting that they implemented into '16 last year, with the reflective lighting, they showed it in the dev streams for last seasons game, where you can see like the sun light reflecting off the outfield walls in areas, glass reflecting real time, helmets reflecting what was actually shown, stuff like that.

Now, they have added that to the players face, etc. they even said in last years dev streams that it was their first step in many with the new lighting tech they added.

# 51 Jolly Roger @ 02/14/17 08:14 PM
Quote:
"We had 17 heads in Road to the Show to choose from, I think," Russell said. "Now we've got more than 40. Hopefully, the end result is you won't be able to tell who is fake and who is real. Last year, you could tell who was fake, just because he looked off."
This is some of the best information I've ever heard about a new version of The Show. I haven't used CAPs for years due to exactly what Ramone said; you could tell which players were CAPs, which just ruined the immersion for me. Man, this is going to be excellent.

# 52 catswithbats @ 02/14/17 08:28 PM
Welcome to the Uncanny Valley, population: me

# 53 tnixen @ 02/14/17 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
its the same lighting that they implemented into '16 last year, with the reflective lighting, they showed it in the dev streams for last seasons game, where you can see like the sun light reflecting off the outfield walls in areas, glass reflecting real time, helmets reflecting what was actually shown, stuff like that.

Now, they have added that to the players face, etc. they even said in last years dev streams that it was their first step in many with the new lighting tech they added.
You mean PBR I think.

# 54 Jolly Roger @ 02/14/17 10:12 PM
As the hours have passed since I first saw this, I'm becoming unsettled. I don't think those are virtual renders of Clayton Kershaw and Jose Altuve. That is Clayton Kershaw and Jose Altuve. I think they've kidnapped them and trapped them in the game, like Tron or something. This is sinister...

# 55 Caulfield @ 02/14/17 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
As the hours have passed since I first saw this, I'm becoming unsettled. I don't think those are virtual renders of Clayton Kershaw and Jose Altuve. That is Clayton Kershaw and Jose Altuve. I think they've kidnapped them and trapped them in the game, like Tron or something. This is sinister...
If thats the case I hope Freddie Freeman Julio Teheran and Ender Inciarte are left untouched.
Theys all we got.

# 56 tree3five @ 02/15/17 12:07 AM
I wonder what Cutch's face looks like with the new lighting [emoji3]

# 57 Syce @ 02/15/17 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
You mean PBR I think.
yes, tbh i couldn't think of the abbreviation for the life of me, but i was also in kind of a hurry when i posted it because i had to leave for work.

# 58 mikestanek1 @ 02/15/17 01:55 PM
I hope they can fix the equipment colors too. It sucks with the bats. I would like to get McCutchen's bat on there with that real nice super dark maroon glossy finish but it has been impossible each year because the colors and finishes are so limited. The developers really overlook some very simple things sometimes. I wasn't even going to buy the game after how bad 16 was. I thought 2016 was like old 2k baseball. You can see why after seeing these new facial improvement pictures. Wow the 2016 graphics sucked. But after seeing this I'll be getting 17.

# 59 TripleCrown9 @ 02/15/17 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree3five
I wonder what Cutch's face looks like with the new lighting [emoji3]
Probably like this...
Spoiler

# 60 Smallville102001 @ 02/15/17 10:34 PM
Big improvement starting to look more how it should look. Normally you only see a big graphic jump from one year to the next when new systems come out. So like first year of a sports game on ps4 compared to the year before when it was on ps3 or first ps3 game after going from ps2 to ps3. Before this year the games graphics where way behind NBA 2k, NHL and even behind madden. These look really good though. Starting to look photo realistic like NBA and NHL do. Hopefully bodies can improve next year. I was not expecting to see this kind of jump this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.