Home
Preview
Madden NFL 11 Preview (Xbox 360)

At EA’s recent community event, I was able to sit down with Madden developer Ian Cummings and get a very early hands on with Madden 11. With the tagline "Simpler," "Deeper" and "Quicker" being emphasized, I was able to take a look at some of this year's gameplay improvements that the Madden team feels will elevate Madden 11 to the next level.

Gameplay Improvements

Locomotion

When I first sat down with Ian, I was introduced to Madden’s locomotion engine. Much like NCAA Football 11’s movement mechanics, Madden’s locomotion engine promises to provide much more realistic player movement and acceleration on the field. On offense, the right stick now controls a player's upper torso, giving players unprecedented control over a ball carrier's ability to shed and avoid tacklers.

The most surprising addition to Madden 11’s gameplay is actually a subtraction: the removal of a turbo button (off by defaut, can be turned on). Taking a cue from EA’s successful NHL franchise, Madden 11 no longer requires players to spam a turbo button in a desperate attempt to create offensive separation or track down an elusive player on defense. Instead, player speed and acceleration are completely tied to ratings.

While I was a bit surprised when Ian let me in on the removal of the turbo button (again, this is off by default and can be turned back on) once I got my hands on the game, I immediately felt the difference. The best way I can sum up my gameplay experience with Madden 11 is that the game feels very organic in the way it moves. In other words, the days of choppy animation transitions and stop/starts on a dime that were in previous versions of the game should be minimized this year -- replaced now by an an overall feel that sim fans everywhere should enjoy.

Game Flow

During our time together, Ian also informed me that a lot of research had been completed that determined how many plays gamers had been calling in an average game, which was also coupled with some insight from John Madden himself. After these findings, the development team decided to completely overhaul the way plays are called.

The result is what is known as the "GameFlow," a streamlined game-planning option that will allow a virtual coordinator to call in a play for your team via headset based on a number of offensive variables that the game calculates. Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions and immediately writes this feature off as a way to make Madden 11 more "noob" friendly, please note that the feature can be ignored at any point during the game with a simple button press that takes you back to the traditional play calling menu.

As a veteran of the series, I was a bit worried that GameFlow would be something that I would not utilize -- I typically avoid the "Ask Madden" types of plays in my football games. However, after getting some hands-on time with the feature, and grilling Ian on it, I am absolutely hooked because of the depth that its simplicity provides.

First off, you can completely customize what plays end up in the GameFlow playbook, and you can change plays on a game by game basis. You can even rate your plays via a five-star system (like on iTunes) so that you can easily find them on the fly when customizing a GameFlow. I can already see myself putting together different game plans for online and offline franchise mode, which would add an NFL Head Coach-like layer of strategy to the game that has been sorely missing since the removal of the create-a-play feature.

Secondly, GameFlow makes you feel more like a real head coach. As many of you already know, it is a rarity for a head coach to actually call plays while in a game. Clicking over to the GameFlow button, and then listening to my offensive/defensive coordinators call out specific plays based on game situations is undeniably cool. What is even better is executing plays to perfection -- something that is undeniably rewarding. I can see the GameFlow feature being big among coach-mode fans, especially if you take advantage of the playbook customization in between games.

Finally, as advertised, GameFlow dramatically increases the tempo at which the game is played. In a day and age where the "core" Madden gamer is getting older and has more non-gaming responsibilities, it is very refreshing to be able to complete an entire game of Madden in roughly 30 minutes. I was able to play an entire half utilizing GameFlow in approximately 15 minutes, and it did not feel like I had been cheated out of a gameplay or play calling opportunity either. Instead, I felt like I was an actual NFL head coach who had a laminated page of plays in hand. Yes, I know I come off sounding a bit lame by writing that, but as a huge fan of the NFL, it is a feeling I have never had before in a football game.

New Line Interaction

Similar to the NCAA series, shoddy line play and interaction has been something that has plagued the Madden series for years. However, the new locomotion engine has gone a long way towards improving what some considered "broken" line play in past iterations of the series.

Since players now have to plant before moving, suction blocking and lackluster AI seem to have at least been minimized when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines. During my limited amount of time playing the game, I was able to get solid pressure on the QB when it made sense. In addition, the CPU also pressured me if I attempted to hold the ball for too long in the pocket.

Presentation Upgrades

Outside of the new GameFlow feature, I was able to see some of the improvements EA has made to the presentation in Madden 11. While Ian was feverishly button pressing through some of the more secretive options (more on those in future Madden blogs), I was able to catch some team-specific introductions (example: Drew Brees' pregame "speech"), and even cuts to players preparing for the game in the locker room. On the field, you will see new cut scenes between plays that look more natural than those in the past, and new animations for sideline catches, big hits and mid-air collisions.

Graphically, the game looks to be largely unchanged from Madden 10. Player models, stadium lighting and the turf look like they received minimum upgrades at most. It is worth noting, however, that the build of the game I played was very early in development. In other words, many of the aesthetic details most likely will be improved by the time the game releases.

As a side note, the kicking meter has also been completely redone. It now more closely resembles the putting meter from the Tiger Woods games. Ian explained to me that this change was the best way to differentiate kicker ability in the game because the old meter would not allow the developers to create the differences that truly exist in the NFL. The meter feels great to use, but since I was only able to use one kicker during my time with the game, I was unable to feel any difference in how the meter reacted.

Final Thoughts

It is very difficult to pass any judgments on Madden 11 at this early stage in the game. But, what I can say is that the locomotion engine and GameFlow additions have the potential to fix some of the nagging issues from Madden 10. Since both elements already work very well at this early stage in the game's development, I am very excited to see what the final product looks like come August.

Look for more hands-on previews from OS as E3 approaches, and as always, stay tuned for the most up to date Madden 11 media and information.

Make sure you follow Operation Sports on Twitter and Facebook.

Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 roadman @ 04/26/10 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
Gameflow is an option from what I'm hearing. You can still go through your playbook if you want. Honestly, I like the Gameflow option where you can set your plays before a game for certain offensive situations. I don't think I'll use the Gameflow to "tell me" what to run. I know I haven't purchased Madden since 06, but I'm an experienced player.
Please read the OS preview too.

It's stated in the preview this is not just for "noobs"

# 22 swiftychampleone @ 04/26/10 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Please read the OS preview too.

It's stated in the preview this is not just for "noobs"
I did read it, roadman. That's why I said:

Honestly, I like the Gameflow option where you can set your plays before a game for certain offensive situations.

That would be the option for the experienced players on how they would use Gameflow. Most casuals/new players would use the version of Gameflow that picks the play for them.

# 23 kjcheezhead @ 04/26/10 12:01 PM
The gameflow thing really just doesn't do much for me. I don't fit the average madden gamer that only runs 3-4 plays tho. When I played I tried to never use the same play more than 3-4 times a game at most. I also really don't like having the cpu select my plays even if it's choosing from my selection because I still wouldn't trust it to be the play I wanted to run.

It's not a bad feature I guess, it just does nothing to address any of the issues I have with the game either.

# 24 coogrfan @ 04/26/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
What if we like our games to last over an hour? I want my game to be as close to authentic as it can be, and playing a full NFL game in 30 minutes goes in the opposite direction.
If you choose to use traditional playcalling instead of Gameflow the pace of the game should be the same as before.

# 25 davjaffe @ 04/26/10 12:02 PM
So far, things sound good. Keeping in mind that it's an early build, I can't help but notice that the previews seem a lot more enthusiastic about NCAA thus far . . . and being a Madden-only gamer, I'm hoping that will change as we get closer to release. Also, I'm still hoping for some graphical improvements - the player models in NCAA look to be significantly improved, and I would be pretty disappointed if Madden's don't follow suit.

# 26 GlennN @ 04/26/10 12:11 PM
Great article. Very encouraging. Two of the things I have been most critical about are the locomotion and line play deficiencies. It is great to see that an emphasis has been spent on both. I am now genuinely excited to see what Madden 11 looks like!

# 27 davjaffe @ 04/26/10 12:16 PM
Also, this review's endorsement of improved line-play seemed half-hearted. That's kind of concerning.

# 28 Valdarez @ 04/26/10 12:17 PM
I don't believe the choppy animations are over at all. Even in the warm up vids you can still see the lack of fluid animations. That's a rendering problem, not an animation problem.

Love the quote on Gameflow... has to be an instant classic... 'because of the depth that it's simplicity provides'. I'm hungry for some jumbo shrimp.

Gameflow makes you feel like a real head coach? How? You're not doing anything in the game. Maybe it makes you feel like a QB, but a head coach? I don't see it.

The videos haven't shown a real pocket developing, and most of the guys continue to drop back 10 yards on plays. You'll even see Guards rush forward 2 to 3 yards to make a block on PASSING plays instead of protecting the pocket.

# 29 SteelerSpartan @ 04/26/10 12:19 PM
Cant say I'll ever fiddle around with GameFlow that much for myself

Did anyone see if we can set team/coach tendencies for the CPU..with it??/

Last year we heard a lot about how they had programed teams to play like themselves but of course.....there was very little evidence of that.

Im hoping the "psychic" play calling from the cpu is eliminated.......so sick and tired of coming out in 4 wr Draw, and them lined up in 4-3 stacked in the middle

# 30 roadman @ 04/26/10 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftychampleone
I did read it, roadman. That's why I said:

Honestly, I like the Gameflow option where you can set your plays before a game for certain offensive situations.

That would be the option for the experienced players on how they would use Gameflow. Most casuals/new players would use the version of Gameflow that picks the play for them.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong person by mistake.

I wanted to quote Valdarez instead.

# 31 Bumble14 @ 04/26/10 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
How did you feel about the removal of the "sprint" button? I dont know if you play the EA NHL series but I love the way the analog stick, and ratings control how fast you move in that game.

Is the analog responsive enough to handle the lack of a sprint button? What I mean by this is if I see a hole can I jam the left stick up and the player will immediately start accelerating into his sprint?

Also, could you elaborate a little more on the new kicking meter?

Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT: When you say the pre-play controls were streamlined. Was it similar to the old PS2 pre-play controls? Those were infinitely better then what we have now.
It took me a while to stop pressing down on the RT for turbo, but I really like how it's implemented. As a semi "sim" guy I like how acceleration and speed bursts are determined by a players ratings vs. me spamming a button. The analog is very responsive, and the end result is a lot like NHL (speedier players are more responsive than grinders).

Kicking meter is a lot like a Tiger Woods putting meter. It's a horizontal bar that you click a button on when it hits the desired power. It's very basic and I was not able to see how it differentiated with different kickers. Quite honestly I am not that big of a fan, even though Ian explained that it was the best way to differentiate kickers.

The pre play controls are integrated to the right stick and then you are given a menu on screen a lot like NCAA's (visual circle telling you where to move the analog stick, etc.).

# 32 Bumble14 @ 04/26/10 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Can you comment on the run blocking assignments and execution?
Blocking is much better- players have assignments, and if they lose a guy will seek out someone to block that makes sense. Huge improvement.

# 33 therizing02 @ 04/26/10 12:22 PM
I still can't understand how games are going to take 30 minutes. I use Ask Madden on O and D about 90% of the time. I'm using 15 minute quarters with 20 second runoff and games are taking an hour or slightly less.

Game Flow sounds like a great addition, but I'm not sure how it would cut the time to play games down to 30 minutes.

# 34 Bumble14 @ 04/26/10 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Christian. As posted by Boregard, in this thread. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-controls.html

Did you see anything like this?
Did not see this. Can not confirm. It was very limited as to how much I could fool around with the game while I had my hands on time.

# 35 SteelerSpartan @ 04/26/10 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I don't believe the choppy animations are over at all. Even in the warm up vids you can still see the lack of fluid animations. That's a rendering problem, not an animation problem.

Love the quote on Gameflow... has to be an instant classic... 'because of the depth that it's simplicity provides'. I'm hungry for some jumbo shrimp.

Gameflow makes you feel like a real head coach? How? You're not doing anything in the game. Maybe it makes you feel like a QB, but a head coach? I don't see it.

The videos haven't shown a real pocket developing, and most of the guys continue to drop back 10 yards on plays. You'll even see Guards rush forward 2 to 3 yards to make a block on PASSING plays instead of protecting the pocket.
I agree....in both NCAA and Madden the QBs are still floating around too much........If they're not going to make the pass rush come up field, at least slow the Qbs down back there...............hmmm

THats makes me wonder though....if theres no sprint button then will the QBs ever sprint around back there and be able to take off if they see a lane??

# 36 Bumble14 @ 04/26/10 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
I still dont understand how Gameflow is going to make the game go any faster than it already goes. I'm not seeing what exactly is being taken out that will cut the game to half hour vice 1 to 1 hour and a half?

I utilize the Ask Madden feature and then pick one of the plays in that selection, doesn't take long at all. My games still last for a good hour. What is gameflow going to do that'll make my games go faster that I'm not already doing? See what I'm getting at?
The cpu picks the play for you based on the situation, you do not spend time in the playcalling screen. You can rate plays, and set up a playbook to customize this, but in game you do not even mess around in a menu like ask madden when using gameflow.

# 37 Bumble14 @ 04/26/10 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I do not understand why anyone thinks removing the "sprint" button is a good idea. The sticks on both the current gen consoles absolutely suck, they are not stiff enough or sensitive enough and this just takes more control out of the user's hands - absolutely stupid and lazy way to deal with CPU not taking proper pursuit angles.

In football, you don't always run at full speed, there are times when you are running close to it, but holding back or setting up your feet for a move and then you turn on that top gear. This makes that more difficult for the user to replicate and is the single dumbest idea ever. This isn't hockey, this is football and the analog sticks are not done well enough for this to work properly and with "sprint" being off by default that means it probally is now a turbo button instead of full sprint which it should be - dumb, dumb, dumb!!!
This is where the locomotion engine comes into play. Players will ramp up to top speed based on acceleration ratings and if they get into the open field. Trust me, the game feels awesome when you get past the second layer of defense and your player hits full stride. Simulation guys are going to love this once they get their hands on it.

# 38 DJ @ 04/26/10 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
I still can't understand how games are going to take 30 minutes. I use Ask Madden on O and D about 90% of the time. I'm using 15 minute quarters with 20 second runoff and games are taking an hour or slightly less.

Game Flow sounds like a great addition, but I'm not sure how it would cut the time to play games down to 30 minutes.
Yeah, I'm just not seeing how GF is going to drastically reduce play time in half. Like you, I use Ask Madden on both sides of the ball and my games take around 50-60 minutes to play.

# 39 Valdarez @ 04/26/10 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Kicking meter is a lot like a Tiger Woods putting meter. It's a horizontal bar that you click a button on when it hits the desired power. It's very basic and I was not able to see how it differentiated with different kickers. Quite honestly I am not that big of a fan, even though Ian explained that it was the best way to differentiate kickers.
100% disagree with Ian on this, and disappointed that Ian actually believes this to be true. Play APF2K8 and you'll see that they do an excellent job differentiating kickers without the need for a kick meter.

# 40 CreatineKasey @ 04/26/10 12:45 PM
Even if I don't use GameFlow all the time in ranked matches, I'll definitely use that to speed up games after people quit on me.

I like the removal of the sprint button. It worked, but the sensitive locomotion should bring out more possibilities and probably be more intuitive. I'm also excited about the kicking changes. Hopefully kickers have proper distance limits and there's an actual opportunity to fail. If there's one thing that I'll voice clear displeasure about in M10, it's the kicking. Nothing in M10 takes me more out of reality than nailing 3 FG's beyond 60 yards in one game.

I'll be excited to see some footage of this game. Things that weren't mentioned much which I still want:

- Route running improvements
- Real examples of situations where warps used to happen and them not happening now.
- A true pocket = need those DE's rushing around the edges while still being engaged like APF.
- Pass trajectory = show me some nice deep balls.

Those things are still all possible for this year. So far I like what I've read. Honestly, if locomotion and OL were the only gameplay improvements... call me tickled pink. Those are massive changes to a game that really struggled in those areas. Smart move by EA.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.