Home
Preview
Madden NFL 13 Preview

When I first heard that the franchise and superstar modes were taken out of Madden NFL 13, I was livid. Why on Earth would you destroy the offline gamer’s dream? Not cool EA, not cool.

But after getting my hands on the game, I know exactly why they “ditched” the modes. Connected Careers is basically the three modes combined into one, creating what seems to be the most immersive football gaming experience to date. You may not understand it – I didn’t at first – but in time you will.

Connected Careers can be done as a player or as a coach. If you choose player, welcome to Superstar mode; choose coach, welcome to offline franchise. You can choose to create your own guy, choose an exisiting coach or select to be a Hall of Fame player/coach – e.g., John Madden and Jerry Rice – in their rookie season. Once you’ve chosen that option, the main screen will pop up in front of you with news from the league and fake Twitter feeds of your favorite analysts like Skip Bayless and Trey Wingo. The news, for example, does a great job of getting the player immersed in the league. It even takes into account what’s actually happening since I saw one slide talking about Drew Brees’ contract talks being stalled.

Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better. For a player you can increase attributes and for a coach you can increase your persuasive skills to have key free agents sign with your team. You can also practice in specific situations such as the 2-minute drill or even a three-touchdown deficit in the third quarter. And practice isn’t the only way to gain points: each player/coach has a set of goals per game and season that they need to accomplish. You accomplish them, you get points. If you underperform, you get fired/released. Which leads me to the next point.

If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams. But if this does happen to you, you don’t have to give up. You can create a new coach and go to a new team in the same “franchise.” If you coached the Seahawks for seven years and your new guy gets hired by St. Louis, then you’ll enjoy pounding on the same Seattle team you controlled for so long. It really helps you stay connected in your very own world of the NFL.

Scouting has also improved a lot. Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft, and there are plenty of busts and gems. For example, I scouted a cornerback that was all over the news and Twitter and ranked No. 4 overall on the big board and he turned out to be garbage. His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat. Love it.

One of my personal favorite features added into the game is the fact that retired players and coaches can come out of retirement, including ones who are currently retired and not even in Madden NFL 12. I never saw any of this happen – it’s rare – but someone did see Kurt Warner come back. And let’s be honest, if this feature is in the game, so is Brett Favre.

When it comes down to it, Connected Careers is the heart and soul of this football game. The integration and immersion are very advanced to what we have ever seen in a sports game. If the replayability holds up the way the Madden team says, and the way I honestly feel, then we're all in for a long overdue football gaming experience.

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 moneal2001 @ 06/20/12 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoanSteelerFromAus
I'm going to save time reading through all the comments and just ask a question cause it looks like most info regards online queries and people who play as multiple teams. I'm part of the minority that plays strictly offline cause I have terrible lag in Aus but here's what I must know -
My brother and I play offline franchise in madden 12. He has a created safety and I have a created MLB, we both play for the Steelers and thats the only team we control. We do this on the same ps3 - "couch co-op" i've seen it referred to.

Will it still be possible to have two people play in CC as i've mentioned above? and if so, can TWO CREATED players be on that team?
From what I see it is maaaay be a possibility if I choose to be a coach but I can't be bothered with all that team stuff, I just wanna play games, make plays and get sick stats with my created player.
no to either. you cant play couch co-op or have 2 created players on the same team.

# 202 The_Balm @ 06/20/12 10:19 PM
Does anybody know if there is regular practice mode (No XP just for practicing plays, getting used to your players etc.) that you can use as much as you want in CC (using your CC team)?

# 203 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 06/20/12 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal2001
no to either. you cant play couch co-op or have 2 created players on the same team.
Thanks for the response bro. I'm absolutely livid about this. I do everything in the madden 12 franchise my brother just slides his controller across when its time to play a game. Why take something so simple and established out after so many years hey. I think its time for my first letter to EA - redundant I know, but where better to vent.

# 204 DNMHIII @ 06/20/12 11:00 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the response bro. I'm absolutely livid about this. I do everything in the madden 12 franchise my brother just slides his controller across when its time to play a game. Why take something so simple and established out after so many years hey. I think its time for my first letter to EA - redundant I know, but where better to vent.
It makes absolutely zero sense man and a lot of people are pissed about what EA has decided to do with 13. If EA would've just added CCM and left everything else almost everyone would've been happy and then next year with more time they could've wrapped everything into CCM with zero loss in features.

Not the perfect solution, but it would've been better than what they're planning on releasing this year IMO.

# 205 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 06/21/12 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMHIII
It makes absolutely zero sense man and a lot of people are pissed about what EA has decided to do with 13. If EA would've just added CCM and left everything else almost everyone would've been happy and then next year with more time they could've wrapped everything into CCM with zero loss in features.

Not the perfect solution, but it would've been better than what they're planning on releasing this year IMO.
I know right, hopefully they patch or DLC some of these features back in. and I mean how can a second person playing on the same ps3 screw up CC by joining your games? It seems so unnecessary to take out such a thing, especially considering how many people play that way (that's the only way I play).
Now my brother is just gonna have to sit there and watch me play CC if he's over, thats rubbish. Either that or we play "play now" which is also rubbish.

They definitely rushed all this. I'd be happy with Madden 12 exactly the way it is just add in the physics engine. I'd just keep playing 12 but I'm sick of seeing the same animations over and over again, and it always seem to be the worst animations that repeat the most. I'm big on gameplay so I was ecstatic to hear about the engine but it comes with this bit of news thus my excitement is now indifference.

Speaking of the engine - that whole "no two plays are the same" is bs cause there are still tackling/break tackling animations in the game so offcourse you're gonna see plays that are/look exactly the same. Sure people will fall over a dead play and that will make it look different but a player in the open field getting tackled one on one will easily get repeated. They should of said something like "no mid air collisions will be the same" cause thats when the physics really kick in and show the most based off all the E3 gameplay i've seen.

# 206 kalimmortal @ 06/21/12 02:56 AM
i think they shoulda waited 'til next year to unveil connected careers...

it's half-finished... and 3-4 of the biggest features of the mode are missing...

i like to edit my players..not necessarily their ratings or height & weight...but i like to edit their equipment...

and i like to import my draft classes from ncaa football...

i don't do a lot of fantasy drafts... but i realize that's important to some other players...so it should be in the game...

i'm jus gonna wait 'til next year and buy madden 14 ... so i have a completely finished game and not a work-in-progress...

i know sometimes i ask for frivolous things like tattoos and the ability to put hyphens, periods, and apostrophes into player names...and if they don't get included...i don't really get disappointed... but certain features should be mandatory in a game...

i think in connected careers...bein' able to import your player from ncaa football and customize him to the nth degree...should be included..

a real nfl combine mini-game..should be included..a real nfl draft should be included..especially if you're playin' as a superstar ... there should be a cut scene of you walkin' up on stage meetin' the commissioner and posin' for pictures... and maybe some highlights from you in college that get imported from ncaa football 13... as analyst talk about what kinda player they think you'll be in the nfl..

there should be a training camp mini-game..and weekly practice mini-games..

bein' able to play on the same team as your buddies...should be included... football is the ultimate team sport.. after all...

a weekly wrap-up show with highlights of some of the games and other breaking news should be included...

and obviously the actual games...etc..

but this connected careers mode should be so addictive...that i spend all my time playin' it...

i think they had enough new features to market..with new lighting, the infinity engine, etc... that they coulda withheld this feature 'til next year..

# 207 joshmarange @ 06/21/12 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackAttack
Um. You don't have to play online?

No one is forcing you.
You do have to play online if you want to play more than a 1 person franchise.

I usually play franchise mode with my 2 brothers and apparently being able to play multi-man local franchise isn't something EA thought we needed.

# 208 jeb4056 @ 06/21/12 07:01 PM
I had posted this in a different thread but seems to make more sense being posted here...

Just read over the connected careers blog again (the one posted on EAsports website) by Josh Looman and noticed this statement -

"At the heart of it, Connected Careers is about connecting you and your friends, in the ultimate career mode, online or offline."

How is connected career mode connecting us with our friends offline when offline is a single player experience?

# 209 StanleyStutters @ 06/22/12 12:07 AM
Quote:
Agreed. I've been doing the same thing in Franchise mode for 10+ years. I still can't believe they took it out. In addition to sending a letter to EA you should vote for the idea on the EA Sports GameChangers site.

Here is the link for the co-op idea - http://mgi-gc.easports.com/a/dtd/Con...p/140368-18503

It currently only has 18 votes which is very low when compared to the other missing features from Madden 12.

# 210 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/22/12 03:08 PM
I never really played superstar, but if you take a real player such as adrian peterson, do you only play snaps that have him in the game or do you just llay as the entire team like a regular madden game?. Like NCAA 12 where if you control a corner the offensive plays are simulated?

this to me sounds like it could be some fun.

# 211 87Birdman @ 06/22/12 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple28Pedestrian
I never really played superstar, but if you take a real player such as adrian peterson, do you only play snaps that have him in the game or do you just llay as the entire team like a regular madden game?. Like NCAA 12 where if you control a corner the offensive plays are simulated?

this to me sounds like it could be some fun.
You control just your player so AP just when he is on the field so if the computer deems they need to run a 5 wide on 3 and long you would be out and just watching. But you can have it supersim till your on the field again.

I just hope they get supersim fixed so it runs off a decent amount of time.

# 212 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/22/12 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don"t think that's entirely correct because in one the videos, I think Looman says even when playing as a player, you still have control over the playcalling. So essentially, if playing as AP, you still would be in "M12 Coach Mode" control of everything else.
that's a shame,would that mean if i'm a backup I could put myself in? Wouldn't it make more sense/be more fun to HAVE to practice and wait for your chance, such as in this case an injury to Peterson [like that would happen ] would allow you as Gerhart to "get your chance"?

I understand gamers would be upset practicing for a year and getting just a few snaps here and there during the season, but practicing and buliding up your superstar as a backup and then in the offseason proving yourself and getting promoted OR testing free agency etc. That could provide some serious fun in my opnion.

Does that make sense?

# 213 Purple28Pedestrian @ 06/22/12 04:50 PM
Quote:
Let me retract the "M12 Coach Mode" part because I meant during the actual games, not for team management. During the games you still decide playcalling but I would presume you could just use Gameflow if didn't want to favor yourself.
Big FN Deal, you seem to be quite knowledgeable, I havent delved that deep into CC yet due to the lack of multiplayer capability offline [killer for me]. I do ask though,

If you choose to be a back-up or Role player, how do you "work your way up" is there any strategy to it, or do you just start immediately due to the human choosing that player?

such as If i create a rookie QB, will I be an automatic starter regardless of which team I select to play on or is there some sort of improvement/waiting that is required to become a starter?

cheers

# 214 KBLover @ 06/22/12 10:08 PM
Quote:
I don"t think that's entirely correct because in one the videos, I think Looman says even when playing as a player, you still have control over the playcalling. So essentially, if playing as AP, you still would be in "M12 Coach Mode" control of everything else.
Wait...

So if I'm a HB, I can call the plays like I'm a QB?

That's....interesting.

# 215 mestevo @ 06/22/12 10:24 PM
Not really a fan of that, would rather just play my role if I'm a player, or better yet earn the ability to influence play calls the way you earn it in NCAA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

# 216 illwill10 @ 06/22/12 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Not really a fan of that, would rather just play my role if I'm a player, or better yet earn the ability to influence play calls the way you earn it in NCAA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You are going to see people bragging about their stats because they are giving themselve 50+ passes or 40+ rushes a game. Only way that it wwould seem beneficial early is if you are a 3-4 Rush OLB or a CB that likes running Man-to-Man.

If anything I will use GameFlow. I would want to earn play call responsibilities.

# 217 moneal2001 @ 06/22/12 10:41 PM
you do not start automatically when you pick to play cc as a player. if your player starts rated 4th on the team at your position, thats where you start out on the depth chart.

# 218 illwill10 @ 06/22/12 10:54 PM
I want to try a single version of Online CCM, but I dont want to risk losing online connection or the servers being down.
I have to see how MaddenCareer.com works out before I make the decision.

# 219 moneal2001 @ 06/22/12 10:54 PM
no i am pretty sure you only control the play calling aspect of coaching, and only while you are in the game

# 220 BuccaneerMan @ 06/25/12 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiallourakis
can you still play multiple team franchises or careers or whatever they are called?
No you can only play one team

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.