Home

Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Gameplay Videos, Ships June 13th

This is a discussion on Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Gameplay Videos, Ships June 13th within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Gameplay Videos, Ships June 13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
Passing's pretty much the same. Back line is usually very unorganised so you see passes to the man standing right beside you, especially from the AI.

Way too many turnovers. You can barely get multiple phases on one possession and even using the send runner right and left (cool addition) seems to increase the chances of a turnover rather the opposite.

Still a pretty fun game though but the restrictions are killing me. Sucks that I can't use players for the international teams with likeness in some leagues due to the restriction.
Agree with all of this. The ball should be turned over more often on the tackle, through handling errors, or most of all more phases rather than two phases and then the defending team overpowers in the ruck.
I haven't experimented with sliders yet, but I will shortly. After that I'll hopefully get a Lions tour up in the dynasty forum.

I'm enjoying the game though. A couple of things that I'd like to see fixed in a patch (excluding the player restrictions which I know is the licensor's prerogative rather than Sidhe's). Note I'm playing on PS3

-a few rules glitches: Sometimes balls kicked into touch are are awarded to the wrong team, and some instances 22 drops are called when there should be a scrum.

-number of balls turned over in the ruck. Already explained above. I'm not asking for pure sim gameplay in the breakdowns, but I think a few changes could go a long way to improving gameplay.

-progression/regression in career mode. This is a big one I'd like to see young players progress more than 1 point overall every three years or so. Would like to see older players regress by the time they reach late 20's/early 30's.

-I'd like long passes and passes by forwards to feel riskier/less accurate.

-maybe slow the game down a bit (though I'm sure the game speed is a well-deliberated design decision.)

-Painfully slow menus. Probably due to the design style, and how much is rendered. See NCAA Football 14. They had the same problem with overly elaborate menus in previous year being slow and unresponsive—this year they went with simple and responsive.
-cosmetic: I'd like to see dirty uniforms back int he game. It looks like player limbs still get dirty, but kits are perfectly clean even in rain games.

It's the best rugby game I've played (and I loved JLR on PSX, and Rugby 06), but there are some really annoying niggles detracting from a game that would otherwise be an all-timer for me.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 06-17-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

It's good (if that's even the right word?) to see that some of the things I've noticed are actually problems rather than me being frustrated. The rucks are particularly killing me at the moment.

Finally got to the 6 Nations in my first career (chose Ireland as my International team) and I've just come up against those player restrictions. Is there no way to get around it? I might have to start a new career and pick a minnow possibly.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #27
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

One terrible thing I noticed. In a career test of Super Rugby, players made unavailable due to international duty actually show up on your bench and you can sub them in. Imagine my surprise to see Dan Carter doing double duty for the All Blacks and Crusaders at the same time.

And about rucking. I would simply like to know if I'm doing it wrong or if there is an issue. It seems like I often have guys at the tackle, and I quick bind, but get blown off the ball by no apparent opponents. I'm just not sure if I don't understand the rucking mechanic or if this is how it's supposed to be.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #28
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16
I think if you contest (X or []) then the ruck bar increases a fair bit, but after you do and you get a warning by the ref you can't add more players to the ruck (I don't seem to be able to anyways).
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 0

I don't like the sound of it to be honest. I mean it sounds like it is an improvement, but still not sim enough for me. I'm usually pretty lax with wanting pure sim, such as with Madden and FIFA(which isn't a sim despite what some say) but Rugby is by far my number one sport. I live and breath rugby hehe

Old 06-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Finally bumped it up to hard and I'm noticing more things, some of which have already been mentioned:

- The long passes are quite ridiculous, particularly by forwards who can seemingly throw a 30m pass to perfection consistently.

- The amount of offloads by the CPU is far too much, I know you can adjust this by sliders but I haven't touched any of them yet.

- A lot of the time there isn't any sort of defensive structure and when an attacker breaks free, defenders occasionally stand there and watch them go by.

Have noticed a few glitches as well. Latest one is if you knock on and keep kicking the ball along the floor, the game carries on. Theoretically, if you knock-on inside your own 10, you could kick it 80m for example, let the CPU recover and carry on there if you let the ruck play out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
And about rucking. I would simply like to know if I'm doing it wrong or if there is an issue. It seems like I often have guys at the tackle, and I quick bind, but get blown off the ball by no apparent opponents. I'm just not sure if I don't understand the rucking mechanic or if this is how it's supposed to be.
I've noticed this as well. I've resorted to just doing heavy bind and it seems to work a bit better but it's still an issue.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #31
MVP

stizz's Arena

OVR: 16
Here's a quote from Milla.

Quote:
There are people who want a sim. They won't get one from us. We never set out to make one, and don't plan to do so.
Pretty disappointing really.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #32
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
Here's a quote from Milla.

Pretty disappointing really.
To be honest I think that Milla guy is a bit of ****.

And yeah that is very dissapointing, I mean Rugby is a pretty niche sport. A rugby video game even more so, especially one that is more expensive than other games and harder to find. I'd wager that the majority of people buying the game want a sim.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »