Home

NCAA 2K2 College Football (Dreamcast)

This is a discussion on NCAA 2K2 College Football (Dreamcast) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Rookie

Malignant's Arena

OVR: 7
Smile NCAA 2K2 College Football (Dreamcast)

I was wondering what people thought of this game at the time of its release and if anyone plays it now?

Due to the fact that I'm from Europe we don't have the opportunity to buy any baseball or college games. But recently I've found a way to play North American games on my Dreamcast without modding it.

So after buying a cheap used copy of NCAA 2K2 College Football from ebay I've been having some fun with it. I can't believe they managed to fit all 117 stadiums into a Dreamcast title.

However, there are a few things that bug me...
  • There is too much of a gap between the easy level (Walk-on) and the normal level (Starter). With the easy level being too easy, and the normal level requiring more effort than I'm normally used to with 2K games.
  • Kick returns and punt returns are fun like in NFL 2K4. However, the kickers always seem to put maximum effort with all their kicks, even on the easiest setting. Unless you're playing against an extremely poor kicker every kick-off makes it into the oppositions end-zone.
  • Only three audibles, as in three in total, you don't get different plays depending on your current formation.
  • Once you've chosen your play you have to memorise all of your routes because their invisible before you snap the ball.
  • Some incredible pass rushes have occurred from the CPU AI. In one game everyone of their defenders decided to rush my QB apart from one of their safeties. Is this sort of play common in college football or a bug?

Obviously I understand that this is an old game, and that faults are easier to spot after enjoying both NFL 2K4 and 2K5. Having said all that with more practice this game should keep me going until the PS3 arrives in March and the promise of region-free games. So maybe if NCAA 2007 is any good I should be able to play it for the first time.

So does anyone else have any good or bad memories with this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA 2K2 College Football (Dreamcast)

To me, this game is terrible. I haven't played it since about a month after it came out, so I don't remember many specifics. One thing that I do remember is, when running the option with the qb, the speed and pitch buttons were the same so, you get this dumb running animation where it looks like the qb is throwing and pulling back a stiff arm every second.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I enjoyed the game. As you mentioned, that was before 2K4 & 2K5, and it was also before EA's NCAA football game really stepped it up. But at the time it was fun. I played several seasons and had a pretty realistic/challenging experience.

The thing that bugged me was the limited fight songs. If your team didn't have a song in the game, you had to hear a random fight song every time.....So it was kind of odd hearing the Michigan fight song after scoring a TD with Iowa.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13

The 6-1 defensive formation was pretty bad...the cpu would use it too much,especially if it expected an option run.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Rookie

burgan's Arena

OVR: 1

this game i really liked. the only problem is the money plays using a spread offense. those wide out passes are just about always there but passing down the middle is a real challenge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2006, 10:54 PM   #6
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18

Is this game similar to NCAA 2K3 for the PS2? I got that game and hated it (while loving NFL 2K3 at the same time - I thought they were very dissimilar) and it got me on to the EA NCAA series, which I've been playing ever since. Anyways, are they closely related?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Rookie

Malignant's Arena

OVR: 7

Apologies for topping one of my old threads.

I've just finished my first season with the Texas Longhorns and I've qualified for the National Championship game against Cincinnati. How I managed to get there with Major Applewhite as my QB is another story.

Anyway, did anyone else notice at the time how bad the Senior Bowl was? I say "at the time" because I realise I'm the only nutter still playing this game.

The Senior Bowl is completely ruined by the fact that both lineups are taken straight from the Air Force team, rather than a proper selection process. (I can only assume the Air Force were used because alphabetically they're the first team). However, even more annoying is the fact that the kickers are replaced with wide receives, so every kickoff only makes it as far as midfield.

Man I can't wait for a region-free NCAA game to be released.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
All Star

OVR: 17

I enjoyed this game for a little bit, I could run the option at will though, but I fun with the game....I wish they decided to improve upon it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »