Home

READ THE LIES...

This is a discussion on READ THE LIES... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #17
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: READ THE LIES...

I think it probably comes down to management more that development. FIFA and NHL have stiff competition that has forced EA to do better - neither are self sellers like Madden is.

The guys at Tiburon probably really want to do things their way, but they're an outsourced developer told what to do by EA upper management and "designers", who are trying to run a business, not trying to create art. Madden continues to sell incredibly well so EA would be insane to do anything differently than they have been doing. Unfortunately, mainstream gamers have spoken, and THIS is how they want their football gaming..... well, that, or they really don't care either way, I mean the game won't sell any worse if EA tried really hard to make it better, it just wouldn't sell much better than it already is now so it is a pointless investment of time and money from EA's standpoint.

Ain't monopolies a bitch.

Last edited by Nza; 02-12-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Maybe Tiburon is the problem here, because EA's next/now-gen efforts with soccer and hockey are really, really well done.
While i agree with you in a sense, I think Maddens problem is the head brass at EA. Im willing to bet that the programers at Tiburon would love to have the time and resources to take madden to the next level in gameplay and presntation.but that would mean way more hours, more money, delayed ship dates, engineering a new gameplay engine, possibly missing a year all together. And i dont think the suits at EA would even entertain those possiblities as long as madden is flying off the shelves each year.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
Blame Canada
Nice reference.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 25

Even with this competition EA won't change their practices. Especially when Madden sold over 6 million copies last year and was by FAR the best selling video game of any kind.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 15

Just want to say a few things.

1) Dont blame Canada. They gave me the Hart Foundation and so many other great wrestlers. Sorry about the wrestling reference but I cant think of anything else since well, I dont live in Canada.

2) Amazingly, EA Canada actually developed one of old school favorites - the original Need For Speed for 3DO. NFS was awesome back then.

3) The reason as to why FIFA and NHL has improved is actually quite simple - Winning Eleven and NHL 2K. Enough said.

4) EA buying the NFL, AFL, NCAA and CFL licenses were for one simple reason - to eliminate the possibility of any licensed football game developed by Visual Concepts. EA fears VC plain and simple. EA buying the ESPN license was just so they could eliminate the far better presentation that was in all 2K sports games. The funny thing is, I think that even without ESPN, the presentation is still far superior. Kind of sad, huh?

5) For those who havent noticed, Madden has actually received lower ratings by websites and magazines the last two years compared to Madden NFL 2005. I believe that websites and magazines are finally starting to realize that every year is the same old crap. The difference is that without competition, websites and magazines dont have to fear losing EA's advertising money simply because there's obviously nothing available that can outscore Madden. Of course, I still think that Madden shouldnt even be rated higher then a 7/10 and that's being generous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733

1) Dont blame Canada. They gave me the Hart Foundation and so many other great wrestlers. Sorry about the wrestling reference but I cant think of anything else since well, I dont live in Canada.

2) Amazingly, EA Canada actually developed one of old school favorites - the original Need For Speed for 3DO. NFS was awesome back then.

3) The reason as to why FIFA and NHL has improved is actually quite simple - Winning Eleven and NHL 2K. Enough said.

4) EA buying the NFL, AFL, NCAA and CFL licenses were for one simple reason - to eliminate the possibility of any licensed football game developed by Visual Concepts. EA fears VC plain and simple. EA buying the ESPN license was just so they could eliminate the far better presentation that was in all 2K sports games. The funny thing is, I think that even without ESPN, the presentation is still far superior. Kind of sad, huh?

5) For those who havent noticed, Madden has actually received lower ratings by websites and magazines the last two years compared to Madden NFL 2005. I believe that websites and magazines are finally starting to realize that every year is the same old crap. The difference is that without competition, websites and magazines dont have to fear losing EA's advertising money simply because there's obviously nothing available that can outscore Madden. Of course, I still think that Madden shouldnt even be rated higher then a 7/10 and that's being generous.
Co-Sign this whole post. LOL@The Hart foundation, they were the sh1t.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 PM   #23
All Star

OVR: 13

I actually don't think that EA's soccer or hockey games are all that much better in terms of representing their sports, although I agree they do much better than Madden. FIFA is graphically gorgeous, no question, but the game still plays like scripted kickball and stresses one-on-one maneuvers as opposed to Winning Eleven's focus on passing, crosses into the box, and tactical, positional offense. EA's NHL offering is definitely not bad, but I still think it does not stand up to the 2K offering of hockey when it comes to actually playing a game. Although I'd like to see 2K use the stick handling controls of EA's game, the rest of the game flows more like real hockey (cycling the puck, working the boards, slot slappers, rebound goals) with the exception of too much emphasis on one-timers.

But I agree, their hockey and soccer offerings are making an effort on next-gen...No effort to be found with the Madden franchise. Frankly, if I were EA, I would not change anything at all in the Madden game and just update the rosters and re-release literally the exact same unchanged game every year. They've more or less already maximized profits, they might as well not waste time/money investing in a product that already is at its maximum earning capability....
Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733

after 2K5, I think its hard for a credible game reviewer praise madden the sameas before. no one with an unbiased opinion can dispute that the bar was definatly raised.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »