Home

IGN Preview, Rice Interview

This is a discussion on IGN Preview, Rice Interview within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: IGN Preview, Rice Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Yeah, that BS for we were screwing around putting some birds and cowboys in a stadium and couldn't work on adding a franchise mode.
Yes there's a huge connection between stadiums and a franchise mode.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 4

Jerry Rice announces return to football...video game football

Jerry Rice looks forward to playing himself in the upcoming All-Pro Football 2K8.
Jerry Rice is gearing up to hit the gridiron again only this time, the catches and hits will be virtual. The wide-receiving great made an appearance today to promote the upcoming All-Pro Football 2K8 from 2K Sports.

Rice headlines a roster of all-time all stars that will appear in the game, 2K's first since losing the NFL license two years ago. Rice will be joined by more than 240 fellow greats like John Elway, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. The game will also feature older stars like Johnny Unitas, **** Butkus and, hell, why not -- O.J. Simpson. And Rice will also have plenty of old 49er pals to hang with including Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott and Dwight Clark.
"This game is going to be special," said Rice, at a press conference at Momo's in San Francisco today. "I get to go up against legends, the best in the game. It's going to be great." The hitch is that the players won't be appearing on any familiar teams. Since 2K lost the rights to use NFL property, which Electronic Arts owns solely, they have resorted to assembling a who's who list of retired stars. But they will be playing in new imagined stadiums in jerseys of teams you won't recognize.

2K Sports officials aren't worried. They're promising an updated game that will build off their old NFL 2K franchise using next-generation technology. The title will feature many of the old game play features but will incorporate some new controls, designs, extra customization and some activities that the NFL won't allow in a game with its name on it.
"We've had incredible feedback from fans who were disappointed when the (NFL) license went away," said Erik Whiteford, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "We feel confident this game will do well in the marketplace. It's all next-gen. From a graphical stand point, it will be like nothing before in a football game."
Getting back to good old Jerry. The all-time touchdown leader said he's excited about the prospects of getting back into the game again.
"I'm fortuate to play a game that was so special," said Rice. "After you retire from football you think it's all over with but this is my opportunity to go up against the best so I'm looking forward to it."

Rice was coy about what specific help he's given to the game designers, preferring to say his work ethic has been his biggest contribution. But 2K Sports officials said Rice has been active in helping review the game, checking for accuracy and proper game play.
Rice said he's not as big a gamer as his son, but he still looks forward to playing his new game. He said he's most psyched to see his likeness so well recreated in the game, down to his own moves.

As far as his favorite opponent he'd like to square off against, Rice mentioned Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes. How about Deion Sanders? "I pretty much kicked his butt pretty much every time so that wouldn't be that much of a challenge for me," he joked.
As for who he wouldn't mind playing as, if not himself: Ronnie Lott. "Ronnie was a hitter. I would love to play as an enforcer, lay some wood and get the game started right."
Rice has been busy of late. He's come off an appearance in Dancing with the Stars. He's got his new video game and a bestseller in "Go Long!" And And he's also preparing a new reality show for TLC this summer called Jerry Rice's Dream Team, in which he travels around giving people opportunities to live out their dreams. He says it's all part of his expanding schedule, taking on new challenges, even if it prompts criticism like his appearance on Dancing with the Stars did.
"I just wanted to learn how to ball room dance and I went for it. I think I did OK," he said.
It's still unclear how this latest game will do. EA's Madden franchise has its share of critics, who would love an alternative. But will they flock to the 2K franchise if they can't play with current stars on actual teams? That's what we'll find out.

Well, I guess there's one other question: who's going to be the coverboy on the new game? Jerry, for one, has no doubt who it should be.
"I should be the cover guy," Rice joked. "I'm the number one draft choice, I deserve to be on the front."
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 7

Hmm..I could care less about how the stadiums look. I'd rather have a Franchise mode than huge cowboys, eagles, and rhinos.

The excuse he gave about players not progressing is stupid, I can understand the legends but the regular players? At least they won't progress like Madden players - by year 3 almost everyone on your team improved to 90+.

Franchise better be a part of the game in future installments..The offseason is almost as important as the season itself. I love doing Free Agency & the Draft.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven123
Hmm..I could care less about how the stadiums look. I'd rather have a Franchise mode than huge cowboys, eagles, and rhinos.

The excuse he gave about players not progressing is stupid, I can understand the legends but the regular players? At least they won't progress like Madden players - by year 3 almost everyone on your team improved to 90+.

Franchise better be a part of the game in future installments..The offseason is almost as important as the season itself. I love doing Free Agency & the Draft.
If you want to be a wannabe GM , go play Madden man

Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #29
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

I hate to say this but I am actually looking forward to Madden this year. With all of the stuff that they are supposedly implementing for 08, it sounds like EA MAY actually have their heads on straight. As for 2K Sports, I have no idea what they are doing and sadly I don't think that they do either. All Pro Football is sounding more and more like an ill-conceived train wreck the more I read about it. First it was supposed to be teams of legends, then it was rumored that there were no legends at all and that the teams would be made up players that are FULLY customizable, then it was made up players and teams that aren't customizable (or at least somewhat), now it's somewhat customizable teams and players with legends AND made up players on them? That has to be the stupidest idea I have ever heard of.

I don't mind made up teams, stadiums, and players, but playing with teams made up of half fake players and half legends is just plain stupid in my book. I just don't understand why 2K didn't just give us deep customization, made up teams AND players and some kind of Franchise mode. This idiotic mishmash of legends with fake players with no Franchise mode and who know's what level of customization is pointless to me. I just don't understand their logic. What is supposed to get me inspired to want to BUY this game? Everything about this game is being put together in such a bizarre way that it really makes me think that 2K is just rushing to get SOMETHING out there, even if it is a sort of Frankenstein-like pieced together disaster. I really had high hopes for this game, but after hearing more about it, there is nothing at all that would inspire me to buy this over Madden this year (Oooohhh it hurt to say that, even though that's how I really feel). I know that everyone will start harping on gameplay and I agree with that, but for me, the way that 2K is making this game subtracts from the gameplay SEVERELY for me. Hopefully next year things will be different, but this year I think I'm gonna have to pass.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 05-01-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 4

the reason for no franchise is cause there are no ratings for players.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #31
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
I hate to say this but I am actually looking forward to Madden this year. With all of the stuff that they are supposedly implementing for 08, it sounds like EA MAY actually have their heads on straight. As for 2K Sports, I have no idea what they are doing and sadly I don't think that they do either. All Pro Football is sounding more and more like an ill-conceived train wreck the more I read about it. First it was supposed to be teams of legends, then it was rumored that there were no legends at all and that the teams would be made up players that are FULLY customizable, then it was made up players and teams that aren't customizable (or at least somewhat), now it's somewhat customizable teams and players with legends AND made up players on them? That has to be the stupidest idea I have ever heard of.

I don't mind made up teams, stadiums, and players, but playing with teams made up of half fake players and half legends is just plain stupid in my book. I just don't understand why 2K didn't just give us deep customization, made up teams AND players and some kind of Franchise mode. This idiotic mishmash of legends with fake players with no Franchise mode and who know's what level of customization is pointless to me. I just don't understand their logic. What is supposed to get me inspired to want to BUY this game? Everything about this game is being put together in such a bizarre way that it really makes me think that 2K is just rushing to get SOMETHING out there, even if it is a sort of Frankenstein-like pieced together disaster. I really had high hopes for this game, but after hearing more about it, there is nothing at all that would inspire me to buy this over Madden this year (Oooohhh it hurt to say that, even though that's how I really feel). I know that everyone will start harping on gameplay and I agree with that, but for me, the way that 2K is making this game subtracts from the gameplay SEVERELY for me. Hopefully next year things will be different, but this year I think I'm gonna have to pass.
I hope you got your flame ******ant suit on.

Well its seems clear that probably for budgetary reasons/time constraints the had to make some tough choices in terms of which direction to go in.

Obviously they chose gameplay/A.I. and presentation as their foundation, with the Legends added in as the prestige/hook.

Now while I may feel the way you do, their most vocal fans seem quite happy with their choices. We'll see how it plays.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM   #32
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldogg
the reason for no franchise is cause there are no ratings for players.

That is BS as well

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »