Home

Great writeup from Pastapadre

This is a discussion on Great writeup from Pastapadre within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #49
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Great writeup from Pastapadre

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
No and they werent all exclusive.
In that case... It would seem 2K has made the (2K8) iteration solely for 2K5 aficionado's..... the over the top stadiums would be for hooking the younger crowd... and if the replayability is good (on or offline)... they could also hook folks that routinely get tired of madden....

fair to say...?!?!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
IMO, I think they're prepared to lose money. VC has always been extremely concerned with pleasing the loyal fans/customers and putting out a quality game because they enjoy making them, and they enjoy playing them. Their priorities are what make me respect the company such a great deal.
Yeah but they're still a company and companies don't keep doing things that don't make them money.

And people need to quit taking this as such a personal attack IMO. It's just his observations about the strategy around the game and how it may be shortchanging what could eventually be a great series for them and their fans in the long run.

I guess some people missed his closing remark in that sense because they were too busy getting their type on to attack him.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 14

I would've liked to see a lot of the customization elements usable online. I know there is concern over inappropriate things, but look at Forza as an example. They ban people from the game if they're found to have broken their TOS with inappropriate designs. The customization is huge, and the use of screenshots people are posting on the net have literally sold copies on its own. I'm someone who bought that game because it was fun to see all the different designs on cars, and the ability to upload those screens from the game. Originally I had decided to pass on it.

Way back in March I did an article about what 2K would need to do to really be a serious consideration for a lot of people. One was offering things that the other football games didn't have, or that people have specifically been asking for. How about spectator mode or online co-op?

It doesn't look like they delivered on presenting new aspects of the game that would make people want to buy it who were at least somewhat satisfied with the other games or are looking forward to the new ones. Instead they lost a staple in Franchise mode and the downgraded presentation and lack of NFL license. All the while at the price that the other games offer a richer overall experience in packages that consumers are comfortable with.

The big thing here is that this is a "new" game and they needed to come into the marketplace strategically to take advantage of the freedoms they had. It just doesn't seem that they've done that at all.

Last edited by pastapadre; 06-16-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #52
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
If there plan was to take a loss, it'd only be with the thought of a long term blueprint that would give them a great gain. You're kidding yourself if you think they'd make a game and take a loss on it just to make fans happy.
Obviously, the main motivation is to make profit, but if that was their ONLY concern, I don't think they'd be making this game in the first place.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 06-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #53
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah but they're still a company and companies don't keep doing things that don't make them money.

And people need to quit taking this as such a personal attack IMO. It's just his observations about the strategy around the game and how it may be shortchanging what could eventually be a great series for them and their fans in the long run.

I guess some people missed his closing remark in that sense because they were too busy getting their type on to attack him.
ODogg.... I feel base on his noted background that the response has been adequate... considering what he posted....
Old 06-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #54
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Did anyone thank Pasta for taking the time to write this thing up? He didn't even have to share any of this stuff. People like him, aholbert, etc, need to be appreciated more for taking time to post this stuff and deal with us lol.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 06-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams
ODogg.... I feel base on his noted background that the response has been adequate... considering what he posted....
Well the thing is, I see where you're coming from, but just because perhaps in the past he's been biased does not make a lot of what he says true in this case. You can't just necessarily discount the message because of the messenger I guess is my point.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #56
Pro

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG_Meth
Did anyone thank Pasta for taking the time to write this thing up? He didn't even have to share any of this stuff. People like him, aholbert, etc, need to be appreciated more for taking time to post this stuff and deal with us lol.
lol I don't expect any sort of thanks but I appreciate the sentiment. I think its an interesting topic and has a wide array of opinions as we've seen here.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »