Home

All-Pro Football 2K8 - The Next Tecmo Bowl?

This is a discussion on All-Pro Football 2K8 - The Next Tecmo Bowl? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: All-Pro Football 2K8 - The Next Tecmo Bowl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
The similarity to Tecmo Bowl is that its "star player driven". (and APFK2K8 uses about
106 former Tecmo Super Bowl vets from the 1991 season..) Tecmo also didn't market much, if at all. Yet the game took off because of its stars and its features, so its similar in that regard too.
Yeah I agree w/your point there. Particularly if it's easy to differentiate between average players and great players (visually also - sig styles could play a huge part and be a big selling point)

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Formula,
I didn't mean that APF2K8 was Tecmo-like on the field.

The similarity to Tecmo Bowl is that its "star player driven". (and APFK2K8 uses about
106 former Tecmo Super Bowl vets from the 1991 season..) Tecmo also didn't market much, if at all. Yet the game took off because of its stars and its features, so its similar in that regard too.

So when I compare it to Tecmo Super Bowl...I don't mean in the "on the field execution" sense. Tecmo was an arcade football game (though about as sim as it got back in 1991 on consoles.)

There must be something about that 1991 season who's stars Tecmo pimped... and I think that 2K knew that when picking the roster. Nothing wrong with that... It was one of the most played football games in history, and those players stood out because of the game.
I was not comparing the two games 'on the field', rather, how they are
being introduced to the marketplace. Tecmo which I enjoyed simply
found its way to my house. Like any sport or racing game at the time,
I played them-ALL. I think Tecmo had an advantage because it was
born when NFL-branding and licensing didn't really matter and certainly
isn't the hot-button issue it is today. Games like 4th & Inches and
Hardball were amazing titles before today's insatiable need for
rosters. Tecmo had the allure of Stars, I agree, but it was forged
when gamers enjoyed what was put in front of them and not driven
to satisfy an immediate need to visit a roster site, update their game
and feel better because their game is now somehow more 'authentic'
Old 06-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #11
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Geat article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
Well, times are different nowadays. One of the greatest baseball games of all time, IMHO, was Baseball Stars and it had no license at all. The thing with that game was that you could actually build your team from the ground up, which at the time was unheard of.

Since then, those innovations those games had have been put to use by the major games with the licenses now. So, you can get the best of both worlds now.
I'm sure APF will be awesome, but I have trouble with the idea of calling it the next Tecmo Bowl, especially when we're getting a new Tecmo Bowl next year.

I agree completely about Baseball Stars. I played more games on that(probably at least 2000) than I have on all MLB licensed games put together. The whole build your own team element is why I'm looking forward to this game. I'm actually a little bit tired of licenses and being tied down to just the real teams and players. I also wish someone would make a somewhat more realistic update of the Baseball Stars on a next-gen system. I'd be at least 1000 times more excited for that than any new MLB game.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

Here's the vets from the original TSB in APF2K8

Randall Cunningham (i.e. "QB EAGLES")
use to win by 50 using the eagles
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

Tecmo Super Bowl was fine and good, but the original will always be king. I got the Raiders!! Ahhh the good ol' days.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA316
I still enjoy 4th & Inches and Hardball

Times are certainly different, when one company can flush the competition
down the toilet buy gobbling up league licensing. If APF was born a few years
ago (say around the Dreamcast Days), this could already have been an annual
top franchise. Now (most) gamers look towards licensing and the 'franchise option'
as prerequisites.
Someone else mentioned 4th and Inches in another thread. Can I just say I am Dam proud to be among gamers who appreciate their heritage : ) That was some great footballin' and if my commadore 64 hadn't stopped working I would still be playing it today. anyway Great article I am ashamed to say that was my first time at that site. Very nice.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2007, 06:44 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 17

Tecmo Bowl was a different game in a different time. Gaming back then was too niche to be considered a niche. Maybe a hobby.

Plus Tecmo Bowl didn't face the 800 pound gorilla sitting the room. APF faces two 800 pound gorilla in EA Sports and the NFL. First it said it doesn't want to upset the NFL so they might have a chance at getting the license back. Second it faces the brand name of Madden. Madden has gone into iconic status for whatever reason.

Back in the NES days, baseball games were plenty but there were few football games. I think Tecmo Bowl hit at the right time and place. And it was fun, let's not forget.

Super Tecmo Bowl is still the ultimate game for that time. Tecmo Bowl was just the warm-up to Super Tecmo bowl.

Maybe APF will get the right game for the right time. It has a lot more problems adversity to get through.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »