Home

Pass Coverage AI.

This is a discussion on Pass Coverage AI. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Pass Coverage AI.

Current-Gen Madden is the only football game that I've played that has great defensive secondary control. One big reason for me is that the strafe button was very responsive, both next-gen EA and APF's strafe isn't as reponsive as I liked.. I also find it hard playing the run and staying with a HB on a screen route when playing as a Linebacker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 13

I threw four interceptions last game because I had to throw before I wanted to avoid the sack. I could not run the ball and lost 15 to 17. The CPU makes the field goal to take the lead with 54 seconds left. I get the ball back with no time outs and complete a deep out to mid field and got of bounds to stop the clock with about 40 second left. I ran out of time trying to get into position to kick a field goal. All my offensive linemen are generics and I am constantly scrambling around in the pocket to avoid the sack.

Last edited by LIGHTNING; 07-24-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I agree that the way the pocket works in this game is incredible. The only negative for me is that I suck at moving in the pocket. Is "feathering" the stick just a quick flick this way or that, or does it entail something else. I get sacked way too much because my pocket breaks down in 2 seconds and I'm looking downfield to try to read coverages and see where my receiver is in his route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
This is one of the sweetest things about the game no doubt. Feathering the L stick in the pocket to buy a little extra time. And when it is done right and stepping away from a rushing Dlineman then finding that open receiver, it feels great!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Gonna work on this tonight. My problem so far with the deep ball is 90% of the time I send a speedy WR on a fly the cpu has a saftey deep on that side and my speedy WR NEVER can run by the deep saftey. I think the safteys play the deep ball too good, LOL. However if no saftey is deep and its a one on one match up. My Speedy WR will blow by the CB. Thing is you gotta have time in the pocket for that to happen.
So far the only thing I can get my WR's(Rob Moore and James Lofton) to react to the ball is by taking control of them and pressing X or Y. Y tends to make them put their hands up for the ball and X makes them dive for it. Hitting Y while pressing forward on the L Stick seems to make them dive also. I cant figure out how to make them just jump up for the ball. The times they have done it seems to be by there own doing. Either there is some trick to this or they designed it this way to prevent Super Leap(TM) that was in Madden. If anyone has tips please report.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywhiplash
I respectfully disagree with you. But my issue isn't the DB AI on MY team; my issue is with the DB AI for CPU controlled teams. I find the CPU too easy to pass on. DBs don't adjust and frequently leave assignments early, leaving an open man. Admittedly, my issue may be more with the CPU defensive playcalling, but I see things like safeties in an obvious cover two not help over the top, corners either staying in their spot too long, or leaving it for whatever reason. I understand that missed assignments happen in real football all the time and that certain routes are suited to pick apart certain coverages and that these are all part of the strategy of playing offense. I just wish the CPU would put up a little bit more of a fight, whether that fight come from the play call or the DB mechanic.

We labbed corner routes the other night just to see what would happen. Hit the same receiver on the same route for an entire half and the CPU never adjusted. How the game adjusted was to have the open receiver just drop the ball from time to time.

But you're right. NCAA has its problems with DB play too, but the opposite. On higher difficulty, DBs and Linebackers all have the verticals of an NBA Forward coupled with the ability to glide from one spot to another. Think that guy's open? Not if there's someone withing ten yards of him.

Please don't misunderstand: I think the game is a lot of fun and has a ton of potential for the future. But for me, this is one of those things I feel could use some refinement. But for those who think it's spot on--that's great. I'm glad for that. I'm a football guy much more than a "brand" guy, so the more football there is to play, the better.

I just wish there was something in between the bionic DB of NCAA and the slappy DB of APF.

I have run the same play over and over again for 2 quarters on All-Pro lvl. I kept throwing to novacek running a post. First 2 attempts I got completions. From then one the CPU either called cover 3 plays or cover 3 shells and shut it down. I then started throwing to Rob Moore who was running a post-corner route.(Same Play) I was able to complete 3 in a row before the CPU adjusted to shut it down. However as I continued I did notice My WR's were TIRED. Rob Moore even started slipping on his routes.

Conclusions so far. In a human game, a human will make adjustments to you throwing to the same route over and over again. The CPU does it also but I think the difficulty lvl may help in the CPU making adjustments also.(What lvl were you playing on ?) If you do run pass plays over and over again you end up paying for it in the long run because your WR's speed and abilites seem to dimenish because they are getting tired.

I played someone online tonight with my team "Landover Flight", a team with NO legends on defense. He had OJ Simpson as a RB. With 2 min left in the 2nd quarter despite OJ having 165 yards rushing. The score was 14-14 and I had just picked the ball off and ran it down to my opponents 40 yard line. Guess what he did.....he quit. Guess why ? On the drive where I picked him off he was running the hurry up trying to run the same play over and over again. My GENERICS got him, LOL.

This game is not perfect by no means, but its better than anything ever made thus far.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM   #30
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Pass Coverage AI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
So far the only thing I can get my WR's(Rob Moore and James Lofton) to react to the ball is by taking control of them and pressing X or Y. Y tends to make them put their hands up for the ball and X makes them dive for it. Hitting Y while pressing forward on the L Stick seems to make them dive also. I cant figure out how to make them just jump up for the ball. The times they have done it seems to be by there own doing. Either there is some trick to this or they designed it this way to prevent Super Leap(TM) that was in Madden. If anyone has tips please report.

Similar to what I posted before, I believe a wide receiver has to have that "Acrobatic Catch" attribute in order to make leaping or high-jump type catches. Or the "Hops" attribute like Henry Ellard has.

Kruza
Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
Similar to what I posted before, I believe a wide receiver has to have that "Acrobatic Catch" attribute in order to make leaping or high-jump type catches. Or the "Hops" attribute like Henry Ellard has.

Kruza
After messing around with that for part of the night I came to the conclusion WR controls need to be implemented.

When the ball is coming toward the WR and you take control. You should be able to press Y to signify look for the ball, then use the right stick to (Up) dive for the ball/reach forward for a ball thats thrown a little in front of you, (Down) jump straight up for the ball, (Left) Turn to catch a ball thrown over your left shoulder. (Right) Turn to catch a ball thrown over your right shoulder, or just use (Left) or (Right) to simply turn to catch the ball.

For defense (UP) and (Down) should function like it does for the WR,s, and (Left) would swat at all balls and (Right) would be attempt INT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
I agree that the way the pocket works in this game is incredible. The only negative for me is that I suck at moving in the pocket. Is "feathering" the stick just a quick flick this way or that, or does it entail something else. I get sacked way too much because my pocket breaks down in 2 seconds and I'm looking downfield to try to read coverages and see where my receiver is in his route.
I hear you man, my pocket time at the start of the game is around 2 seconds, and I have started to notice as the game goes on it gets to be less and less. Pretty much at the end I am forced to run because I dont even have time to throw the ball.

Moving the QB helps, and you have to be extremely gentle with it, no sudden movements.

Last edited by Franklin; 07-25-2007 at 12:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »