Home

Wishlist - Offense

This is a discussion on Wishlist - Offense within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Wishlist - Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzeh
I'd like to see the most important part of the run and shoot offense: the option routes. The whole point of the offense is to attack the safeties with option routes and if the only thing i can do is use the canned routes that came with the game i cant really run the whole thing.

Specifically, I'd like to see the WR sit if he sees the safety backed off and to break depending on where the safety tries to shade. As of now i don't even look at my WRs but if i could do more than just use the run and shoot sets i would be working more like that.

Yeah, I would love to see Go, Slide, Choice, and Switch in any video game. People think the RnS passing game is so complicated but is really only those 4 routes with option routes and tags.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #10
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Ok the game has been out for almost a month. It's time to start chiming in and help these guys make this game better. The foundation is solid. So I think it's just a matter of building the game up. First thing is first some bugs that need to be ironed out on offense.

On RO Plays - not PA RO but simple RO plays the Offensive tackle to the Rollout side never blocks. Secondly the HB is supposed to lead block for the QB but he never blocks anyone.

Routes - Deltron hit this on the 2nd day the game was released. Some of the routes ran by the WR's they run them too slow. If you hot route the drag route that is a good example, but then compare it to a play with a drag route already in it. It's world's different in terms of speed. I think they just need to clean up the route running.

Playbook - this was probably my biggest dissatisfaction on offense with 2k8. The run plays I'm completely satisfied with. The passing however is what I want to see greatly improved. I have attached my list of passing concepts that I would love to see in the game spread out across several formations. I think every offensive playbook should have these concepts and that these concepts should be spread out across multiple formations. I'll start with the first three, NCAA, Follow and Texas. These have to be a part of the offensive playbook. This is what teams are doing now. Coaches are developing concepts and 2k needs them in the game. EA has a start with some of these. I'll post more later.
I like it! Someone has been visiting the site of the Unofficial WCO
Old 08-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #11
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21

offensive line play. yes the pocket forms well and I love it. But on a running play where the guard or center is supposed to pull, they never touch anybody like 70% of the time. I can't tell you how many times I've called a trap or counter play and seen a wide open field as long as the guy pulling picks up his block and I've been dumbfounded watching replays where he completely runs past the defender. I know generics aren't as good as legends, but this is supposedly an All-Pro football league, the guy could at least engage the defender or shove him or something.

Same issue with generic fullbacks. My generic FB has run past countless defenders without even turning his head. I know he's not good, but he's not some 14 year old kid either. He should be able to do something, even if that includes just getting trucked over by Singletary or Butkus. Just get in the way, slow the defender down for a split second.

You guys already mentioned the passing plays and that's cool.

adequate special abilities. Dexter Manley (bronze DE) has 5 abilities. Jim Lachey (silver OT) has 1. Lachey will hold Manley fine, but if the guy's a silver, I'm sure he's got more special ability than simply being a brick wall. Perhaps higher rated OL should have a more adverse effect on lower ranked DL?

That's about all I can think of now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #12
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

Quote:
More Offensive Plays

Mesh Route

Interesting, this is actually a variation of Air Raid Mesh (Not to be confused with Coverdale Bunch Mesh) Usually Leach will run it as:
PS (Playside) #1: Corner
PS #2: Sets the depth of the mesh and is the high crosser
PS#3: Swing or Bubble
BS#1: Low Mesher
BS#2: Shoot route

Norm Chow will do the same as Leach except likes a Post by PS#1, and a shoot for PS#3.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #13
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

Quote:
Well the Texas route if it is a base zone coverage and you just want to play Safety you are not going to stop it. That's how the Colts made Brain Urlacher look like a normal guy in the super bowl. They ran it on him quite a bit and that's why Addai had 10 catches. If you run zone you are not going to stop the Texas Route unless you drop a Dlineman out in coverage over the middle. If you run man then your LB has to be very disciplined and deny the inside to the back. I understand what you are saying, but everyone is always talking about "real football" where here it is. But then nobody wants it If you want to stop a route like Texas you need to sacrifice some things and mix in other things. The Colts ran the multiple Smash route all the time last year and teams had a very difficult time stopping it.

In a video game you can stop the Texas route though. What I would do is run zone and man up the vertical routes. Then I would manually guard the Angle route by the HB underneath. because the vertical routes are manned up I don't have to worry about making a decision between guarding the HB and guarding the vertical routes. With Texas The vertical route is the first read, then the HB is the #2 read. If you are forcing someone to their 3rd read then if the Pass Rush is programmed well you can put the breaks on the play. You will not completely stop it every time, but you can put breaks on it. In real life I would not make that same call.
Very good points. With Texas you are basically High/Lowing a MLB in a Cov. 2 scheme. He has to make a choice on whether to drop and defend the Post or Alert, or come up and take the angle. You then of course have to make a choice; do I sit in zone and let them play dink and dunk all-day, play man and hope my MLB can play with the RB, bring man pressure and hope I get there before the QB has time to throw, or bring some sort of zone blitz to try and confuse the QB's reads. This is the chess match of coaching football. It would be great to see these type of "real" routes implemented into games.

Thinking further on that. A Create-a-playbbok where you could chose some basic "route concepts" and run plays that could be run from all your formations would be a great addition to any game. You could then create an offensive system, as opposed to just a myriad of formations.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Thinking further on that. A Create-a-playbbok where you could chose some basic "route concepts" and run plays that could be run from all your formations would be a great addition to any game. You could then create an offensive system, as opposed to just a myriad of formations.
And that is exactly what I want to do instead of just choosing plays.

Yeah here is another version of the Mesh that Norm Chow used when he was at BYU

Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
Pro

southside_hitmen's Arena

Quote:
And that is exactly what I want to do instead of just choosing plays.
Yeah, add that and the ability to "tag" concepts and I would be in football video game heaven.

If we could ever get someone at VC's ear on the subject, it might be worthwile for us to do some sort of example on concepts for them.

Good to see someone else on the board with X's and O's in their blood.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by southside_hitmen
Yeah, add that and the ability to "tag" concepts and I would be in football video game heaven.

If we could ever get someone at VC's ear on the subject, it might be worthwile for us to do some sort of example on concepts for them.

Good to see someone else on the board with X's and O's in their blood.
Yeah man, they advertised real football and people say they want real football, well I'm just trying to help them get a little closer to real football hehe. Will start on defensive stuff soon.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »