Home

Why I didn't buy APF(but might at 20$)

This is a discussion on Why I didn't buy APF(but might at 20$) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:44 PM   #17
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Why I didn't buy APF(but might at 20$)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I don't think anybody is looking back fondly on Madden 06 on 360. LOL. I don't have anything much against Madden these days but that game was God-awful.

I don't think having a franchise mode would constitute "sky high" expectations. IMO no sports game should be without one for any reason. As barebones and shallow as the mode was in Madden 06, at least it was there. You can't please everyone all the time and people will always complain no matter what. I don't think generic, generated players would've been an issue with simply porting the 2K5 franchise mode to start out with, since you're inundated with generic players from the very first off-season....and there were no legends in that franchise mode.

But regardless, I have no doubt 2k will not be dumb enough to put out a 2K9 game without one. I'm quite sure they have learned their lesson from the sheer retail math involved. And telling the fanbase to "just shut up and play the game" in Game Informer didn't work too well for them.
Not to defend the "shut up and play the game" comment, but imo it was appropriate given how things turned out. We sit here crying about how all we want a great playing football game; mostly get one, then complain that franchise mode is just as important. Even if it's bareboned lol. So even if the draft AI sucks, the CPU trades it's superstars w/o consideration to team needs, you're telling me people wouldn't be dogging it? It's not that people are looking fondly back at Madden 06. I was just commenting on people that say "at least it had a franchise mode". I want a franchise mode myself, but I think people are placing far too much importance to it.

If this game had the NFL license - if VC were able to have sig-styled Tom Brady/Peyton Manning doing their real drops behind realistically forming pockets; if they could have defensive players like Shawn Merriman or Troy Polamalu appropriately sig-styled to reflect their on the field play, etc. all of a sudden I think areas where people complain the game is lacking suddenly are a lot better, or at least more tolerable. Perhaps playing through season mode isn't dismissed as useless, because everything in the game becomes more identifiable. Suddenly the work they did w/the sidelines and crowds becomes that much better and isn't dismissed as fluff. Online becomes a lot more fun. Not having the license is a HUGE factor imo. Even if they add franchise mode next year, there's no guarantee the people begging for it will accept it. Or won't say "well, I can't get into it because it's not the NFL". No matter how well they make next year's game, imo it will come down to that. Mark my words.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
Rookie

chainsaw4099's Arena

OVR: 4

i got it yesterday so far having fun with the game.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
As a non-NFL game, they're really not Madden's competition. You're also overlooking the fact that this is their first attempt at a next gen football game. Even comparing it's features to 2K5 isn't a fair comparison imo. If this were an NFL game I'd agree with you, to a degree. I don't know of any next gen sports game that didn't experience growing pains on it's first time out of the box.

Not overlooking that at all. In my original post, I addressed it directly. This game is a blueprint, and it felt like it. As an objective viewer of the growth of game franchises, that isn't inexcusable. As a spender of sixty dollars in a competitive market, it is totally inexcusable. The competition for APF Football is any sports game, from a certain perspective. Gamers have a limited income, particularly with the prices where they are now.

I can't convince you that the NFL license doens't matter to me, but it doesn't. For me, APF would have taken up the same place as a college football game, or a streetball game. Even Fight Night, to a degree. While there are some notable fighters in Fight Night, the bulk of the game is your created player vs. generics.

APF just wasn't created for the offline experience. And telling gamers "just shut up and play the game" is never appropriate if you're interested in winning them over to your underdog franchise, particularly when you're bringing a much smaller game than just about every other sports franchise out there. Great game mechanics are only as great as the world you're allowed to explore them in, for many gamers.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:58 PM   #20
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

Quote:
Great game mechanics are only as great as the world you're allowed to explore them in, for many gamers.
I guess I'm the exception. I am more interested in first rate gameplay than I am NFL licensing. It would make APF the **** if they had it but I'll take the sacrifice in license for a fundamentally solid football sim.

I never really understood the point of franchise mode and setting imaginary records against an exploitable CPU. I just want to beat people online without 23 turnovers, cheesy drop back bombs, , weird throwing mechanics, glitchy WRs, and superman DBs that can swat anything without even looking at the ball. And I like being immersed in the game (goofy announcers, cut scenes, etc).

I just want a good game of football. That said, I don't see the logic in developing 2k9 without a franchise mode or bringing something heavy to the table. What's the point? There's no roster update needed. There's no new teams, coaches, big trades, etc. They could just do a "roster update" and add a bunch of legends to 2k8. I think they're going to take the game to another level honestly. Just don't **** with the gameplay beyond making Jerry Rice more coverable.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #21
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

Weel, you can get it for $19.99 now at Bestbuy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #22
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14
Exclamation Re: Why I didn't buy APF(but might at 20$)

I have generally enjoyed sports games from Take 2. I have to admit it was a
shame to have purchased this game for $69 when I really should have waited
3-months later and get it for $29 Canadian. It plays a great game of football
but overall it comes across as more of a technical demo than a full-value
game on the 360.

The opening experience was also a bit of a rag, playing against my brother-in-law,
we had to assemble our teams, create, pick, etc, etc and took a good 30-minutes
before we got into a game. I really dislike what the Madden team delivered for
the 360 (NCAA 08 as well) but I find myself playing Madden 08 for the Wii more
than APF2K8. And with MLB Power Pros, I hardly touch APF at all right now.
At $29, who cares, but at $69 I have seen very little value. Again, a great
football 'technical demo'.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »