Home

Run Readers....

This is a discussion on Run Readers.... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Run Readers....

Does anyone esle think they stink. I have Carson and one of the problems with a run reader is that they get sucked in to the middle to easily and get blocked.

You have to build a protection for them to be effective. sort of like big defensive tackles for Ray Lewis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #2
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Run Readers....

I've never really had that issue with my MLB, and I usually control the DT. I just finished a season with Carson as my MLB and he led the team in tackles and was 2nd in tackles for loss behind Carl Banks.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

I'm talking about online. The run readers get caught up in the wash too many times and can't find their way to the ball handler unless they run right to him.

Case scenario is when the run reader runs into the hole alot of times the back will already be past him leaving him stuck in the wash.

I find the run readers are only good when I use the 4-3 and have him at MLB. In the 3-4 run readers are horrible.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Middle linebackers in this game are terrible within the framework of how the game plays. You have to do insane and stupid things to get them to play even mediocre. For instance, in the 3-4 you need to hot blitz one of the ILB's, preferably the weak side ILB, let him line up between NT and DE and get him to crash the gap. I don't know what's dumber, that you have to do this or on alot of running plays the Guard just let's the ILB run right in.

From the default alignment they take way too long to get going. I know what VC was trying to do but it doesn't execute well. They tried programming reads and keys. The problem is they didn't realize that the MLB's key = what he instantly reacts to and the read is what develops over the course of the play, had they realized this, no MLB would be standing still or barely moving in one spot on the snap of the ball not when his key is illiciting a particular response . Secondly, even if the MLB does get into position by luck, the tackling is horrible. Third like all football games, the defense takes a back seat and there is nothing groundbreaking about it.

And before anyone says, "well there isn't much they can do with defense," I'd take you up on that, but I'm not going to post any ideas that will fall on deaf ears.

The Problems for the MLB's in this game:

1) MLB Alignments are too tight to the line of scrimmage. Should be 4 1/5 to 5 yds off.
2) Reactions to keys and reads are way too slow along with movement being too slow in general.
3) They play a "careful" "finesse" style of football the way the animations look. Linebackers are Pricks and guys that have attitude and play wrecklessly but under control. The way they play in this game, the animations make them appear "SOFT" and trying to be careful.
4) The front alignments do not help in keeping blockers off the backers.
5) Suction Bugs by the offensive line
6) Lack of lateral movement model
7) Imprecise Tackling Stick Mechanic
8) Animation automatically favors the HB even when you have a great angle and you hit the HB at the line he somehow gets 2 to 3 yards, whatever.

These are some big reasons as to why I quit playing this game. These in addition to the A.I issues on defense (Focus Bug, Players do not play well in their zones, wacky and comical animations they give to your defender when you are trying to defend the ball, Random Gap Blitz angles, Pass Rushers automatically programmed to take the longest route to the QB, Dline and linebackers are way too slow off the football, which is why QB sneak plays are money, Not to mention the Maddenization of the 2k series with Rocket Catches/Bullet Streak, QB running backwards and lobbing for complete passes, ect) and I just said forget it.

Last edited by LBzrule; 07-15-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Man, would I love to see a MLB blow up a fullback in the hole using the correct shoulder and get the other shoulder and arm on the HB. That damn iso play would be much less effective. As it stands, it's so easy to run for 4-6 yards that it's sick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Middle linebackers in this game are terrible within the framework of how the game plays. You have to do insane and stupid things to get them to play even mediocre. For instance, in the 3-4 you need to hot blitz one of the ILB's, preferably the weak side ILB, let him line up between NT and DE and get him to crash the gap. I don't know what's dumber, that you have to do this or on alot of running plays the Guard just let's the ILB run right in.

From the default alignment they take way too long to get going. I know what VC was trying to do but it doesn't execute well. They tried programming reads and keys. The problem is they didn't realize that the MLB's key = what he instantly reacts to and the read is what develops over the course of the play, had they realized this, no MLB would be standing still or barely moving in one spot on the snap of the ball not when his key is illiciting a particular response . Secondly, even if the MLB does get into position by luck, the tackling is horrible. Third like all football games, the defense takes a back seat and there is nothing groundbreaking about it.

And before anyone says, "well there isn't much they can do with defense," I'd take you up on that, but I'm not going to post any ideas that will fall on deaf ears.

1) MLB Alignments are too tight to the line of scrimmage. Should be 4 1/5 to 5 yds off.
2) Reactions to keys and reads are way too slow along with movement being too slow in general.
3) They play a "careful" "finesse" style of football the way the animations look. Linebackers are Pricks and guys that have attitude and play wrecklessly but under control. The way they play in this game, the animations make them appear "SOFT" and trying to be careful.
8) Animation automatically favors the HB even when you have a great angle and you hit the HB at the line he somehow gets 2 to 3 yards, whatever.

These are some big reasons as to why I quit playing this game. These in addition to the A.I issues on defense (Focus Bug, Players do not play well in their zones, wacky and comical animations they give to your defender when you are trying to defend the ball, Random Gap Blitz angles, Pass Rushers automatically programmed to take the longest route to the QB, Dline and linebackers are way too slow off the football, which is why QB sneak plays are money, Not to mention the Maddenization of the 2k series with Rocket Catches/Bullet Streak, QB running backwards and lobbing for complete passes, ect) and I just said forget it.
I agree but those issues were never game killers to me. I get more random sim games online than in any other football game I played.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

I spent three hours last night trying to figure out a scheme in order for my inside linebackers to play well in the 3-4 and in my estimation it's just not possible. Even when I get it all right and everything works to how I have it planned Carson gets run over.

I am a pure Defensive player when it comes to sports games. The first thing I want to do is pay D. Games these days think everyone wants to score. NO! I want to shut people down. They just don't give the user the ability to shut people down with great defense anymore.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
I spent three hours last night trying to figure out a scheme in order for my inside linebackers to play well in the 3-4 and in my estimation it's just not possible. Even when I get it all right and everything works to how I have it planned Carson gets run over.

I am a pure Defensive player when it comes to sports games. The first thing I want to do is pay D. Games these days think everyone wants to score. NO! I want to shut people down. They just don't give the user the ability to shut people down with great defense anymore.
That's why I'm looking more forward to games like TNA, Smackdown vs Raw, Legends of Wrestlemania, UFC, Gears 2, Soul Calibur IV, Too Human ect. I'll give Madden a spin, but already knowing the issues that will be present this year it's time to take a hiatus from traditional sports.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »