Home

This or 2k5?

This is a discussion on This or 2k5? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Rookie

randogu's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: This or 2k5?

Just own them both.....there's really no reason not to.

NFL 2k5 -- 99 cents or less at GameSchtapo (I grabbed another copy not too long ago for .48)

APF 2k8 -- $9.99 (Most recent deal I've seen was Amazon doing a bundle of APF2k8 + NBA Street: Homecourt for $9.99 TOTAL)

The other thing is that the control schemes are nearly identical, so you can easily switch between them as you itch for a taste of NFL teams or vice versa.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

On-field the two games are very similar, and as most have said, they can each be had for a cheap price, so you could get both for just a touch over $10.

2k5 has more cut-scenes and different replay angles and the postgame show is a little more in-depth than 2k8, but those are really just minor things.

You can't go wrong either way.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 02-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 9

I think it depends on how you're going to play. If you're going to play a game online or with friends, then I have to say APF 2k8. It truly is one of the best multiplayer sports experiences around. If you're looking for more of a single player gaming experience to get into, then I'd go with NFL 2k5. The franchise mode can be awesome if you make some adjustments since the draft glitch can be a killer. Since my 360 red ringed a few weeks ago, I went back to 2k5 and have had a blast with the franchise mode, but I still miss the online competition of APF and will definitely be getting back to it once my 360 is repaired. It all depends on what type of experience you're looking for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

APF2k8 can be had for $5.99. That's the price I paid for it at Gamestop last night. I also bought NFL2k5 for $0.99 there.

I'm new to both games, why do people say 2k5 franchise mode is bad?

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyCane
APF2k8 can be had for $5.99. That's the price I paid for it at Gamestop last night. I also bought NFL2k5 for $0.99 there.

I'm new to both games, why do people say 2k5 franchise mode is bad?
There's a glitch in the Draft in which the CPU only drafts QBs, Ts, HBs, and DEs in the first round. Additionally, the CPU frequently waives injured players during the preseason since their ratings are lower, so you can occassionally see guys like Tom Brady or Anquan Boldin on the FA market when the season starts for no apparent reason. Some say the trades the CPU teams make are unrealistic, but really I don't find them too bad most of the time.

The first glitch can be worked around if you utilize Finn's editor, which really is a must have if you want to play with up to date rosters anyway. If you manually draft the 1st round for every team and then just continue the draft normall for the rest of the rounds you'll get good results. The latter glitch can be easily alleviated by turning the injury slider down during preseason so nobody gets hurts and waived, and then turning it back up once the regular season starts as the CPU cannot release injured players during the season.

2k5 requires some work...and really isn't a game that plays particularly well right out of the box imo. APF is a much better game out of the box. It has far fewer glitches and deficiencies that need to be worked around. You'll find both to be great experiences, but I believe 2k5 takes a lot more tweaking and time to get there.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 12

Maybe I should clarify, I already own both APF and 2k5. I've owned both for some time now. I was just wondering if people had a preference of one over the other. I understand (and agree) that both are leaps and bounds ahead of Madden. My only really annoying gripe about either one is that the CPU is inconsistent. There are some days where even if you are playing a team that is vastly better than you (say, the LA Legends in APF or the Pats in 2k5), and you can just crush them without even trying. I just finished a game of 2k5 that ended with me winning 42-3. The CPU just could not get anything going all game and were lucky to get the FG.

On the flip side, there are some days that are just the opposite. You can use a team that has always played well, and make calls that work well 90% of the time, and everything just falls apart. Elite WRs drop wide open passes on clutch 3rd downs. Your HB coughs up the ball deep in your own territory. Your secondary goes for deflections/INTs and whiff hard, leaving nothing but green grass between the other team's WR and the endzone.

Many people would view this as a "good" or "realistic" thing. After all, all teams/players have "on" or "off" days. However, I don't appreicate the radical difference between the two, especially with how often the latter seems to come up. It would be one thing if you had a star WR who just had an off day (couldn't get open, dropped a few passes, whiff some blocks to let the HB get slammed) while the rest of the team played decently. It just happens where your entire team decides to have an "off" day together. Regardless of how annoying I find these things, I'll undoubtedly keep playing since these are the two best football games out to date ("best" referring simply to gameplay/presentation, the Blitz series blows these out of the water in the fun department).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »