Home

4th Quarter Comeback- overpowered?

This is a discussion on 4th Quarter Comeback- overpowered? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20
4th Quarter Comeback- overpowered?

15thHunter and I played a game recently where the insane value of this stat showed itself to be immeasurable. Harbaugh took the game over.

After a nice start for my team, a tough injury to my go-to WR and some questionable defense on my part got me in a deep deep whole. Simply put, I was dominated for the first 4/5's of the game. Couldn't move the ball. There were about 2-3 mins left in the game, and I was down by 17 points. I decided to go a little crazy, and just start calling all kinds of deep routes with Branch on one side, a generic on the other (his name was something like Aomoah) and keeping my TE in to block his formiddable pass rush. Branch got doubled, but Aomoah started flying around the field making plays.

The first one was a deep stop and go, where he ran deep, then cut back about 10 yards and made a diving catch for like a 30 yard gain, all while being guarded by Browner. Then he bests Browner again on a deep corner route, outrunning him the back corner of the endzone and catching Harbaugh's perfect pass. An onside kick later, Branch is out with fatigue, and the generic replacing him makes a 40 yard diving catch in Tatum's face. Then Aomoah does his thing again, and sooner rather than later, I'm down a field goal.

Another onside recovery, and I'm going for the FG to tie it. A deep pass to Metz for 30 yrds puts me in FG range. Then Metz runs straight at Browner and catches a 25 yrd reception for the lead with 5 seconds to go. I went from 17 down with 2:30 to go, to having the lead with a timeout to spare, with several huge routes and catches by generics. This was not a "skillful comeback", this felt like highway robbery.

Just goes to show how overpowered this attribute can be at times. It has also made me a little happy that Madden is coming, because if nothing else, it will shake things up and get us away from this system for a little while.

More importantly though, has anyone else seen this kind of thing from this attribute?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: 4th Quarter Comeback- overpowered?

thats cool 15th is a good player, Sounds like a good gm. I will try a 4th qrter Qb myself and see what its like...I'm thinkin Staubach.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
MVP

teambayern's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDROMADA 1
thats cool 15th is a good player, Sounds like a good gm. I will try a 4th qrter Qb myself and see what its like...I'm thinkin Staubach.
He has given me fits before.

and yeah, 15th was a great sport about it. I would have been going nuts if that happened against me.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 55

I don't think it's overpowered, but I do think it is more powerful thank clutch. I know more than a handful of times where Dan Marino has came back and shredded defenses in the 4th quarter. I think attributes like these are what make this game NOT madden. It really makes players feel alive - more towards an RPG-type feel. I really like how attributes evolve over the course of a game. Don't involve your WR with average to bad hands early? Well he won't show up when you need him late. Don't feed your workhorse RB the ball? He won't perform at his best.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
MVP

teambayern's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I don't think it's overpowered, but I do think it is more powerful thank clutch. I know more than a handful of times where Dan Marino has came back and shredded defenses in the 4th quarter. I think attributes like these are what make this game NOT madden. It really makes players feel alive - more towards an RPG-type feel. I really like how attributes evolve over the course of a game. Don't involve your WR with average to bad hands early? Well he won't show up when you need him late. Don't feed your workhorse RB the ball? He won't perform at his best.
Yea, that's true. And I haven't ever seen Harbaugh do this before. But man, was it weird to watch this game unfold. It was like no single person on my team made a false move during the last 2 minutes, and the generic WR's made two diving catches, outran a silver SS, and caught an additional TD. Crazy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I think it had to do more with the momentum earned in the 4th qtr instead of the 4th qtr comeback. Momentum plays a HUGE role in this game. If someone is able to recover 2 onsides in a row, of course momentum is going to swing big time.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 34

The only issue I have with the intangibles attributes like 4th qtr comeback and clutch, is that it doesnt make the offense better, or cause the offensive player to make an outstanding play..

What it does, is causes your defense to simply stop playing.

Seriously, pay close attention to how the ball is getting moved and how you are getting scored on in these situations.

What you'll see are defenders all of a sudden decide that they do not want to play football anymore.

A DB will have coverage on a reciever, only to mysteriously decide to stop covering him, or make a an absurd flail at the ball that gets him beat by 5 yards. LBs decide that they do not want to puruse, and just stare at the play, etc..
Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
A DB will have coverage on a reciever, only to mysteriously decide to stop covering him, or make a an absurd flail at the ball that gets him beat by 5 yards. LBs decide that they do not want to puruse, and just stare at the play, etc..
This is what I've noticed. I have paused and replayed a bunch of plays where clutch or comeback were operative, and defenders simply stop what they're doing to allow the play. That's pretty lame.

The best antidote is a manual pass rush with a stud DL. The DBs can't make boneheaded plays if they QB can't get the ball off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »