Home

Tips on tackling?

This is a discussion on Tips on tackling? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Tips on tackling?

I just started playing this game online and it's awesome but my s***ty tackling sticks out like a sore thumb. It's obviously alot harder to tackle in this game than Madden. Tips anyone?

BTW, that spin move burns me all the time so tips on how to not get beat on that would be cool too.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Tips on tackling?

I usually let the computer get me within tackling range then I take over and press the tackle button from there.

However, if a guy is good at using the right stick, you'll just want to do it all yourself, because the CPU gets shook easily.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

What about the right stick reach tackles? Do you use though at all or only for the guys with the reach tackle ability?

Another thing I noticed is that it seems like if you try to tackle like the 2K5 tackle system where you hold down the X button for a wrap up and tap X for a dive/hard hit it always dives?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
What about the right stick reach tackles? Do you use though at all or only for the guys with the reach tackle ability?

Another thing I noticed is that it seems like if you try to tackle like the 2K5 tackle system where you hold down the X button for a wrap up and tap X for a dive/hard hit it always dives?
I use the reach tackles all the time. They are great for correcting over/under pursuit. Think about it, when you take an angle that is somewhat off you can just use a reach tackle to quick grab the runner. Reach tackles also manipulate blocks really well to plug holes or pull down runners while being blocked.

If you are a LB and engaged with a FB along with a RB who is head-up behind you - I'd suggest using the R stick to reach tackle in whatever direction the RB goes... almost anticipate it. Ideally the RB will run into their teammate killing all momentum and your teammates will come in to clean up.

Reach tackles and the intricacies of player interaction is where the meat and potatoes of this game is. It is easily the best representation of real football ever created to this day for examples I've stated. The little things are overwhelming and really make the game something great.

I have some good tackling tips here:

http://www.operationsports.com/Creat...-football-2k8/

Edit: reach tackles will help slow down those spin moves too. You are probably over pursuing and your opponent is spinning out of it. Reach tackling back into the runner should at least slow the player down.

Also, I personally recommend controlling the nearest runners and doing things yourself in most situations. It is far more gratifying and you'll get the hang of things faster. The longer you don't try the longer it takes to get good at player control.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 09-03-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I just started playing this game online and it's awesome but my s***ty tackling sticks out like a sore thumb. It's obviously alot harder to tackle in this game than Madden. Tips anyone?

BTW, that spin move burns me all the time so tips on how to not get beat on that would be cool too.

Tackling is complex and its situational, this is what I love about this game. Right Stick controls, if you're use to EA use of the RS as an Hit stick then you'll using it wrong.

1. RS to tackle high push up quickly tap []
2. RS to tackle low push down quickly tap []
3. RS to use as hit stick press down on the RS
4. RS to reach tackle effectives is based on the player rating(see attributes) push up and hold, you must be near the ball carrier to actually grab him duh!
5. PS3 press the [] button to wrap tackle and quickly press tap the button to bring the ball carrier down or he may just break out of the tackle. Tap the [] to deliver a big hit or dive tackle. On 360 replace the square button with whatever it is on the 360 controller.

Now remember I said its complex and situational, Knowing the running back and what he's capable of is important how you tackle, of course you don't want to hit Earl Campbell with a little CB no matter the tackle unless you wrap him up. People often complain about breaking tackles in APF and the common problem is user error, because you have to know how to tackle. We have gotten use to the press button and be done with it type of tackles but this is not the case, its hit and follow through just like you will do in real life.

Things you must know

Type of Runner
Size of your tackler
the angle in which you approach
Now input the correct tackle see controls

I have had great success with this formula, its dynamic and physics based tackling.

hope this helps.

Last edited by backbreaker; 09-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

Thanks for all the tips guys. I just played 2 online games and my tackling is alot better now.

1 of those games was an absolute heartbreaker. I was down 24-21 with :40 seconds left in the other guy's redzone and forced a pass to Jerry Rice because I seen he was in 1 on 1 coverage on a streak to the endzone and his DB jumped up and made a play on the ball, the ball bounced off the DB's knee into the air and Eugene Robinson ran by and picked it off in the endzone.

In that game I could tell my tackling improved by miles though because he had Walter Payton and in the 1st quarter he was running well but after that he was never able to make the 1st guy miss and every defender that made a hit on Payton was always controlled by me.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Never dive to tackle. Diving is the #1 way to miss a block, or to allow the runner to easily shed the block. It's one of the primary mistakes I see newer players making when playing the game. I only dive if I'm about to be blocked as it avoids the block animation or when I'm behind a player and I know if I just slow 'em down enough the next guy down the field is going to make the tackle. Other than that, you need to directly connect with the player or make a big hit.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Simple: Charge up before tackling. You will be amazed at how many ballcarriers go down or are slowed up enough to allow for reinforcements.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »