Home

I don't get it...

This is a discussion on I don't get it... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
I don't get it...

I loved 2k5. I like 2k8. I play Madden. That aside, I have to say, "I just don't get it."

What I mean is, why a lot of people on the Madden forums act like 2k8 is some great chess match when it just isn't. I say this mostly because of the passing game, or more importantly, pass defense.

I forget the name of the play, but in 2k8 it doesn't matter [they are all the same with a different formation] but go into practice on All-Pro and select a medium pass play where the X [not the button but the left side WR] runs this curling In-route:

...___
./
|

Now run this against man coverage against any rank of CB. It doesn't matter if I run agaisnt Woodson or some generic CB, I get the same results a majority of the time. The CB will start to follow the WR and then do a strange back-peddle-spin-loop thingy that totally takes him out of the play and leaves your man wide open.

------

There are many, many, times when I have a SS or FS in the middle third of the field, despite if they are rated or not, and after a ball is throw deep into their zone the computer will again dow some strange back peddle spin move thingy and run away from the play and leave the WR wide open for he catch and possibly the TD. This is an AI issue I remember in 2k5 that I have scored TDs agaisnt online and have had TDs scored against me on over the years.

-----

There are plenty of times where I call a 3-4 cover two zone under and I will see line backers and defensive backs start to back peddle into their zones and suddenly and "randomly" turn their backs on the LOS and abandon their zone coverage for no reason giving up big throws.

-----

I have played against some 2k8 vets that really like this game and shown them these obvious flaws in the game and how they just obliterate coverages, allowing for big plays in the passing game. I just don't get how people act like 2k8 is some chess match when there are so many AI problems with the defense combined with the lack of depth in the play books.

One person I talked to said something really well, that they hate in Madden that when you see something on offense, you just can't trust it and that you can in 2k8. I'll agree when it comes to offense... however, you can not trust defesne in this game. I am not defensing Madden in any way. This is not about Madden. Madden has it's own problems. This is about 2k8.

Just like how the D in 2k5 couldn't react to a scrambling QB, 2k8 finds whole new ways to screw up coverages. I guess what really gets me upset is that I never get the feeling that someone has to pay for making mistakes in the passing game. I feel like 2k8 is too dependent on user control to make plays than allowing players who lack stick skills to make up for it with good/great scheme/coaching/play calling.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I loved 2k5. I like 2k8. I play Madden. That aside, I have to say, "I just don't get it."

What I mean is, why a lot of people on the Madden forums act like 2k8 is some great chess match when it just isn't. I say this mostly because of the passing game, or more importantly, pass defense.

I forget the name of the play, but in 2k8 it doesn't matter [they are all the same with a different formation] but go into practice on All-Pro and select a medium pass play where the X [not the button but the left side WR] runs this curling In-route:

...___
./
|

Now run this against man coverage against any rank of CB. It doesn't matter if I run agaisnt Woodson or some generic CB, I get the same results a majority of the time. The CB will start to follow the WR and then do a strange back-peddle-spin-loop thingy that totally takes him out of the play and leaves your man wide open.

------

There are many, many, times when I have a SS or FS in the middle third of the field, despite if they are rated or not, and after a ball is throw deep into their zone the computer will again dow some strange back peddle spin move thingy and run away from the play and leave the WR wide open for he catch and possibly the TD. This is an AI issue I remember in 2k5 that I have scored TDs agaisnt online and have had TDs scored against me on over the years.

-----

There are plenty of times where I call a 3-4 cover two zone under and I will see line backers and defensive backs start to back peddle into their zones and suddenly and "randomly" turn their backs on the LOS and abandon their zone coverage for no reason giving up big throws.

-----

I have played against some 2k8 vets that really like this game and shown them these obvious flaws in the game and how they just obliterate coverages, allowing for big plays in the passing game. I just don't get how people act like 2k8 is some chess match when there are so many AI problems with the defense combined with the lack of depth in the play books.

One person I talked to said something really well, that they hate in Madden that when you see something on offense, you just can't trust it and that you can in 2k8. I'll agree when it comes to offense... however, you can not trust defesne in this game. I am not defensing Madden in any way. This is not about Madden. Madden has it's own problems. This is about 2k8.

Just like how the D in 2k5 couldn't react to a scrambling QB, 2k8 finds whole new ways to screw up coverages. I guess what really gets me upset is that I never get the feeling that someone has to pay for making mistakes in the passing game. I feel like 2k8 is too dependent on user control to make plays than allowing players who lack stick skills to make up for it with good/great scheme/coaching/play calling.
First of all, don't play on All-Pro. Each game has different ways to ease the average gamer into it's passing game. Madden slows down the pass rush, 2K makes the coverage less effective.

However, coverage going from All-Pro to Legend is like night and day. It's not perfect on legend, but there are far less quirky instances on that mode. Hell, I've been accused of cheesing by playing on legend because I'm "letting the CPU play for me".

If you want to get a game in on legend, just let me know.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: I don't get it...

Interesting. Recently I tried messing with the sliders from the All-Pro settings for games against the computer, and while I wasn't looking to turn this into a sliders thread, i found right away that it was nice to bump both human and computer catching up [to 60] and I cranked coverage for both up to 100. I was getting frustrated that my wide open generic "balanced" receivers were droping almost all of my passes to them.

Hit me a Friend request on XBox live: PGaither84

We'll have to get a game in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »