Home

Will Tecmo Throwback Hurt Backbreaker?

This is a discussion on Will Tecmo Throwback Hurt Backbreaker? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Will Tecmo Throwback Hurt Backbreaker?

No i don't think tecmo throwback will hurt bb at all other games might
Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Mass Murda o
nah...two diff games and two different price points. TSB is for nostalgia. BB is for the future. i still have the original TSB on nintendo with the NFL rosters. never gets old, but its just not the same type of game IMO.
Very well put! I agree.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I think UFC will hurt BB more than tecmo. Not sure if it was a good idea to move the release date and go head to head vs that game.
I didn't know the UFC game was going to feature a football mode, I may have to check it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Tecmo Throwback and Backbreaker are clearly two different football games. The reason that I feel that Tecmo could hurt the market place for BB is because it will garner attention away from them. A good portion of the football gamer community will be drawn to Throwback and play that game and it hits the market before Backbreaker.

The focus this spring will be on two football games this spring, not just one.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
Pro

ChampIsHere42's Arena

OVR: 6

If you put this engine in Madden, it would be the greatest football game ever created. Yeah, I said it
Old 03-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 55

Tecmo may prevent me from buying a copy of BB, but BB would never prevent me from buying Tecmo. It's got the nostalgia lock on me.

I feel if Tecmo is legitimately Tecmo that I'll become much more "wait and see" on Backbreaker.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonM
Tecmo Throwback and Backbreaker are clearly two different football games. The reason that I feel that Tecmo could hurt the market place for BB is because it will garner attention away from them. A good portion of the football gamer community will be drawn to Throwback and play that game and it hits the market before Backbreaker.

The focus this spring will be on two football games this spring, not just one.
I think both games will be just fine. There have been similar situations like this in other genres, and there has never been any evidence to suggest that an XBLA/PSN game had any adverse effect on a physical product. To reiterate, these games are being sold through two different channels. There is no real rivalry between physical and non-physical games on 360/PS3. XBLA games by nature are smaller games made cheaply, targeting a casual audience.

It should also be understood that a physical game is, by nature of the beast, promoted far heavier than online network console games. Many of these downloadable games receive little to no promotion at all and certainly nothing anywhere close to the scale that a physical release would. So, physical presence and promotion is going to give a physical game an enormous edge every time. We just haven't reached the point yet where there is a legitimate concern about what effect an XBLA/PSN game will have on a physical product.

The last thing is, when game companies stopped developing football games after the EA/NFL disaster in 2004, the market all but disappeared from its once thriving state, but the gamers never did. They still exist and have just been waiting for more product to come along. In other words, there is enough for everyone to eat and get full. I think both projects will do well based on the size and scope of each since both are much smaller by comparison to productions created by large studios.

I said last year that I believe the football gaming sector of the market will find a resurgence through smaller independent companies and that prediction is certainly coming true right now as there is a healthy number of indies making football games right now when combining PC, Mobile, and Console projects and so far the PC and Mobile games have been making money. I don't know how well BCFX did, but I hope it's at least been profitable. The two other console games on the horizon doing well will be another huge step forward to resurrection. But gamers have to start buying. Gamers have more power right now than they've ever had to help steer the course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Agree with TheWatcher and to expand it's a simple case of Tecmo Bowl Throwback probably coming in at $14.95 (at most) so the cost issue is hardly there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »