Home

tackling in Back Breaker looks great BUT......

This is a discussion on tackling in Back Breaker looks great BUT...... within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 12
tackling in Back Breaker looks great BUT......

I tip my hat to the Back Breaker team for being able to incorporate a more realistic representation of physics in a football game. All of the tackles that I've seen have looked great in the trailers.

there's just one thing that bothers me. For all of the beauty in the big hits in this game I have seen no examples of the slow take down. let's be honest, football tackles are not always voilent encounters. Most of the times the collsion occurs at an angle or there may not even be a true collision.

I would contend that the "big hit" is rare which is why we get excited when we see it. Most tackles fall into following categories: slow takedowns - leg grabs - wrap up and twists - drag downs - push out of bounds

I's easy to get excited about seeing different tackles on every play but honestly you can't have a football game without having a few "canned" animations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: tackling in Back Breaker looks great BUT......

in some of the older vids ive seen some simplistic tackles. i havent seen slo mo drag downs but i have seen some simple textbook wrap up tackles way back when we were getting more vids. and even on a sack in one vid. i remember it was just a nice takedown, not a crazy man torpedo or nothing.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

"Given that background, the developers have put this engine to good use in Backbreaker -- doing away with the short list of repeated animations that appear during impact (namely tackles) in other football games; every tackle in the game is unique. I've honestly never seen more realistic looking tackles than I did in Backbreaker. In a real professional football game, tackles are rarely the huge hits that other football videogames have made commonplace; instead they are mostly comprised of players wrapping around their target and dragging them down and that is precisely what NaturalMotion has brought to Backbreaker. Of course, there are crazy "flatten the opposition" hits too, but they happen naturally."- IGN
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 55

I've seen natural tackles that aren't "blow you up" style. I think they all look smooth and phenomenal.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 05-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
I tip my hat to the Back Breaker team for being able to incorporate a more realistic representation of physics in a football game. All of the tackles that I've seen have looked great in the trailers.

there's just one thing that bothers me. For all of the beauty in the big hits in this game I have seen no examples of the slow take down. let's be honest, football tackles are not always voilent encounters. Most of the times the collsion occurs at an angle or there may not even be a true collision.

I would contend that the "big hit" is rare which is why we get excited when we see it. Most tackles fall into following categories: slow takedowns - leg grabs - wrap up and twists - drag downs - push out of bounds

I's easy to get excited about seeing different tackles on every play but honestly you can't have a football game without having a few "canned" animations.
it doesn't have to be "canned", Beast.....it is all about realistic situations....

I know I have posted these same Gifs in another thread, but they pertain to here as well...

the first one shows that if you are in a vulnerable position, a big highlight hit can and will happen....the running back is stubling...in real life the tackle would look just as worse...

where as in this one....the RB is in good position to not get destroyed and actually fends off the tackles just enough to get to the endzone....there was no highlight tackle or hit in this run because of the realistic situation of the play.....

basically if you want to see a highlight hit...do something stupid and run full speed at a defender and try to jump....if you want to see realistic tackles...don't go head up with someone and try to avoid the tackle..and cover the ball....this should result in a regular wrap tackle.

also like a poster said in this thread, older videos show regular soft/slow tackles....like one where some one was playing defense...and they sacked the QB who tried to run away...and it resulted in a slow wrap tackle.

Last edited by Afrikan; 05-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

All I want is a quarter of actual gameplay. No highlights clips. No tutorials. Just continuous gameplay. It would answer some questions regarding tackle variations, camera angles, etc. Aside from the violent tackles, I'm more concerned with how the ball carrier doesn't protect themselves before getting blasted. The ball carrier video shows us how to lower the head and such, but the tackle video doesn't reflect that.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Somewhat related, I wonder how much of the gameplay we've seen in videos, gifs, etc, is at normal speed. Almost everything seems to be either slow motion or sped up, even when they aren't obviously like this at first glance. Watch the running video and watch stuff like offensive lineman and you should be able to see what I mean.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngoldfan
All I want is a quarter of actual gameplay. No highlights clips. No tutorials. Just continuous gameplay. It would answer some questions regarding tackle variations, camera angles, etc. Aside from the violent tackles, I'm more concerned with how the ball carrier doesn't protect themselves before getting blasted. The ball carrier video shows us how to lower the head and such, but the tackle video doesn't reflect that.
this is the closest so far.....the interview is for like 9 mins...but there is continues gameplay in the background....it also shows the kicking meter, broadcast cam replays, and more...

again this is an older build footage.
watch the HD version if you can....

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg44920">

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »