Home

Backbreaker Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #809
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Backbreaker Demo Available, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Are you serious? Football fans maybe, but football players no. You can NOT see what is going on all around you when you actually play football. It is a lot harder to execute plays when you are on the field. Football fans have never had the experience of realizing how hard it actually is to make reads and throws. It is not hiding AI flaws, it is showing you how hard it is to actually play football. You have no time and you have to be able to make quick decisions.

You can easily "see what is going on" the more you play. I love this though. I really do. A lot of people will not have the skills to play this game and it should mean higher competition online.

Linkboy = thanks!
People really need to stop with this "you'll love this if you've played football" thing. I've played football since 2nd grade and that doesn't stop the camera from being a negative in the game. Other people have already addressed this but you can't scream REALISM!! with the camera when players are glowing and look like robots. It's also funny how if people complain about the game they don't have skills. The game is not hard to play, the developers just made ridiculous decisions with the camera.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 05-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #810
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Why is a person ripped every time they mention the camera angle in this game? I love the feel of the game, the tackles, blocking, etc. I don't like the camera though, it doesn't mean I or anyone else who feels similar is wrong. I fully understand that the devs wanted the on the field feel, thats great, they accomplished it. The problem is some people want to play the game with an elevated view. Again, we're not wrong in wanting that, just a preferred angle is all. Anyone who thinks they won't lose sales because of this is sorely mistaken. My point is simply, give us the option, in doing so make everybody happy, sell more copies, and we can avoid bickering like old women on this board.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #811
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
People really need to stop with this "you'll love this if you've played football" thing. I've played football since 2nd grade and that doesn't stop the camera from being a negative in the game. Other people have already addressed this but you can't scream REALISM!! with the camera when players are glowing and look like robots. It's also funny how if people complain about the game they don't have skills. The game is not hard to play, the developers just made ridiculous decisions with the camera.
And again, it's not realistic to have a vision of your own body taking up most of your field of vision.

I can't speak for anyone, but the reason I keep harping on control/camera issues in this game is that there is so much potential here. I was genuinely excited to try it out, and really disappointed once I actually played it. To me these design choices get in the way of me accessing the content that is ridiculously good (especially for a first-time dev) and it's a shame.

If they gave the user an optional standard camera, plus tightened up some of the AI/logic issues, this game could be the best one on the field. Instead, it's way too frustrating to recommend.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #812
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eski33
The camera kills this game for me. Part of me thinks that the camera was implemented this way on purpose to hide AI flaws.
I mentioned that being a possibility once myself.

Nevertheless, the more I play this game the more I like it. The post-play camera work is very nice, and the animations really move pretty fluidly. Passing is tough though. I wish you could declare a primary target at the line rather than being forced into the CPU's choice.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #813
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

you can, watcher. hold LT and push the right stick left or right.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #814
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

Nevertheless, the more I play this game the more I like it. The post-play camera work is very nice, and the animations really move pretty fluidly. Passing is tough though. I wish you could declare a primary target at the line rather than being forced into the CPU's choice.
You can... Hold the left trigger then scan through your recievers with the stick at the line. Makes a HUGE difference in the passing game.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #815
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

Yeah you can. Hold the left trigger and use the R-stick to change it. This helps passing a LOT. If you know someone is being repetitive with playcalls you can immediately hand pick a route as a primary WR.

This game has been growing on me, too. I see the potential for online fun.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #816
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
People really need to stop with this "you'll love this if you've played football" thing. I've played football since 2nd grade and that doesn't stop the camera from being a negative in the game. Other people have already addressed...
Amen.

Like the camera view or not--more realistic it ain't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »