Home

Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #137
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Backbreaker Patch "Greathouse" Impressions (PS3, 360)

This game plays pretty well now but needs a few editor adjustments.

For instance;

WR and TE's should be at least 75 with good ones 85-90 and top ones higher yet.It negates most of the dropped passes.

D-line strength should be no higher than 70.I globally edited down 20.You could even go a little higher with DT's in particular and could even lower all defensive positions as well.Global edit is your friend.This should help get running games going.

There have been times on Hard,even with very good form,that I've felt helpless on defense.

Bottom line;for those who have the 360 and use the editor,you can get the game to where you want it.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 PM   #138
Pro

pistonpete's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18

For instance;

WR and TE's should be at least 75 with good ones 85-90 and top ones higher yet.It negates most of the dropped passes.

D-line strength should be no higher than 70.I globally edited down 20.You could even go a little higher with DT's in particular and could even lower all defensive positions as well.Global edit is your friend.This should help get running games going.

There have been times on Hard,even with very good form,that I've felt helpless on defense.

Bottom line;for those who have the 360 and use the editor,you can get the game to where you want it.
that's good to hear for you 360 guys. just makes me shake my head since i'm on ps3. i like the game so much i was thinking of spending $50 to fix the dvd drive on my 360 and then buying it on 360. it would be nice if someone could convert the 360 save to a ps3 like on 2k5. anyway, enjoy; i think i'm going to shelve it too, since i love running the ball and it's not impossible to do, but it's too inconsistent and unrealistic to be entertaining.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #139
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonpete
that's good to hear for you 360 guys. just makes me shake my head since i'm on ps3. i like the game so much i was thinking of spending $50 to fix the dvd drive on my 360 and then buying it on 360. it would be nice if someone could convert the 360 save to a ps3 like on 2k5. anyway, enjoy; i think i'm going to shelve it too, since i love running the ball and it's not impossible to do, but it's too inconsistent and unrealistic to be entertaining.
For what it's worth, that's only possible in 2k5 because the XBOX file gets converted to a PS2 file and physical memory card first. That PS2 file is then run through a memory card adaptor (a special official Sony device) to become usable on the PS3.

Editing PS3 files directly (as in Finn's editor) is still not possible because nobody's been able to copy the PS3's digital signature (and if it hasn't been done by now, it probably never will).
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #140
MVP

OVR: 20

Anybody else still seeing a good amount of lag online? Starting to think my connection may be the problem.

Overall, my impressions so far is that patch certainly fixed a couple of key problems like the CPU throwing too many INTS, but it also created just as many new problems. Seems like they overdid it on the pass blocking, seems too perfect now and I have no idea what they did to the running game. Before the patch I was having no problem running whatsoever, but now I seem to get blasted in the backfield almost every run. Inside runs seem to be useless. I know people said the running game was better online, but in the games I have played it didn't seem like it. Neither my opponent or me could get any run game going. Watching replays it just looks like the run blocking is not there most of the time, with guys going unblocked or blocks not being held. Even on plays where the defense is outnumbered upfront I am still seeing that happen.

Not to mention the kicking game is just way too easy for both humans and CPU. I don't think I have seen a missed field goal yet by either a human player or the CPU even from 50+ yards.

I may have to put the game back on the shelf. Just wish they would have left the running game alone, prepatch at least for the human player it was almost perfect.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-09-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #141
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

One area that still needs work is sideline catches. Feels like no receiver is capable of making a catch and dragging the foot to stay in-bounds. Very frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #142
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18

For instance;

Please post your roster GR!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 AM   #143

OVR: 34

I don't know that I can say yet if I'm sold on the passing mechanics. In one way, the time it takes to pass forces you to pay attention to the coverage before the snap to where you definitely have an idea of what is about to happen. The glance feature gives you a better look at what's happening, but once you see your open man, it's hard to switch to him and then pass.

That's where I feel the game does an excellent job of pocket passing. If your pocket collapses, you have zero time to make a play. That's how it should be. Maybe you can evade, but if you have 2-3 defenders coming after you, it's rare that you complete a pass. The window of time seems perfect to me. I just don't know if the controls are the best. that can change with more time in the game.

I actually disagree with the issues in running the ball. To me, it really feels like you are having to work the run and find your holes. I love how some runs feel like nothing but you get 3-4 yards. If a hole is there, and you hit it, you can get yards.

I do wonder if we are sometimes expecting big plays too often and that may have conditioned us to expect more.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #144
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I don't know that I can say yet if I'm sold on the passing mechanics. In one way, the time it takes to pass forces you to pay attention to the coverage before the snap to where you definitely have an idea of what is about to happen. The glance feature gives you a better look at what's happening, but once you see your open man, it's hard to switch to him and then pass.

That's where I feel the game does an excellent job of pocket passing. If your pocket collapses, you have zero time to make a play. That's how it should be. Maybe you can evade, but if you have 2-3 defenders coming after you, it's rare that you complete a pass. The window of time seems perfect to me. I just don't know if the controls are the best. that can change with more time in the game.

I actually disagree with the issues in running the ball. To me, it really feels like you are having to work the run and find your holes. I love how some runs feel like nothing but you get 3-4 yards. If a hole is there, and you hit it, you can get yards.

I do wonder if we are sometimes expecting big plays too often and that may have conditioned us to expect more.
Not at all, but I am conditioned to expect not to get drilled as soon as the ball is handed off as much as it is occurring post patch. Not even remotely realistic the number of times I am seeing that occurring. Can't say it's much better for the CPU either. Not sure what difficulty your on but on Hard it is near impossible to run effectively and I can't play on Medium because the CPU doesn't' generate enough offense on Medium to legitimately compete with me. Don't want more big plays just less plays that get blown immediately.

Basically for me after the patch I am finding passing to be too easy with the pass blocking seeming too perfect now and the run game to be completely screwed up. Hard is one thing, but it shouldn't be insanely hard because o-linemen routinely let guys go unblocked even when they have advantage in numbers upfront or can't hold their blocks for more than 2 seconds. That is what I am seeing on replays and that is not remotely realistic.

I had no problems running the ball prepatch either, was getting a very realistic YPC.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-09-2010 at 09:13 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »