Home

Road to the Show: Brayden Wiley, LHP

This is a discussion on Road to the Show: Brayden Wiley, LHP within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #65
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Road to the Show: Brayden Wiley, LHP

Braves beat BayBears, 5-0
Wiley blanks Mobile, picks up fifth win on season

By Luke Johnson

The Mississippi Braves won their fourth game in a row last night after beating the Mobile BayBears at Trustman Park, 5-0.

Brayden Wiley threw eight strong innings and picked up his fifth win on the season. It was his fifth quality start in a row. He only gave up four hits. He walked two and struck out 10, making it the fourth start in a row in which he's registered double digit strikeout numbers.

He leads the Southern League with 110 K's.

"I'm on a roll right now," said Wiley after the game. "I feel like each time I go out there, I'm getting better. My pitches are developing and I'm gaining confidence."

Paul Clemens pitched a scoreless ninth inning to secure the win for the Braves.

Offensively, Braves' first baseman Wes Timmons led the Braves by going 2-4 with a home run and double. He had two RBIs and raised his season average to .328.

Wiley finished 1-3 with a two-RBI single in the sixth inning.

Mycal Jones, Cole Miles and J.C. Holt all had two hits for the Braves.

The Braves will begin a five-game series in Birmingham tomorrow against the Barons.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #66
Banned

Braves top Barons, 4-1, now two games out of first
Wiley gets sixth win, dominates again

By Luke Johnson

Does it ever get boring?

Brayden Wiley, the Braves' highly touted pitching prospect, won his sixth game of the season last night and got his first career complete game as the Braves rolled to a 4-1 win last against the Birmingham Barons.

Wiley has now thrown quality starts in sixth straight games.

His line was again dominant. Wiley went the distance, only allowing three hits, one run, walking three and striking out six.

"He was in command all game long and to be honest, he's proved himself here at Double-A," said Manager Rocket Wheeler. "He's 6-2 with a 1.85 ERA on the season. He has 116 strikeouts and only 31 walks. His performance, and his numbers here speak for themselves."

Is Wheeler expecting Wiley to get promoting anytime soon?

"He's done everything I've asked and more," said Wheeler. "A call from the big guys telling me that he's going to Triple-A wouldn't surprise me."

Mycal Jones led the offense for the Braves by finishing 3-4 with three RBIs.

The Braves, the first half winners in the SL South Division, are now 6-5 in the second half and are two games behind the Jacksonville Suns (8-3).

The Braves will finish the series against the Barons tomorrow and will then head home for a seven-game homestand that will bring them to the All-Star break.

Wiley will get his next start against the Barons next Wednesday, July 7.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #67
Banned

Braves beat Barons 6-5
Wiley shows he's human in no-decision

By Luke Johnson

The Mississippi Braves won the opening game of a home series with the Birmingham Barons 6-5 last night at Trustman Park.

Brayden Wiley was cruising through four innings but then ran into some trouble.
In the top of the fifth, Wiley left a hanging curve ball out over the plate to Barons' outfielder Salvador Sanchez. Sanchez took advantage by sending the mistake pitch 390 feet for his seventh home run of the season.

It was only the third home run that Wiley had allowed all season.

Wiley allowed two singles to start the sixth, when he faced Barons' third baseman Joe Crede. On the first pitch of the at-bat, Crede hit a line drive down the line that resulted in a double. Both runners scored as the Barons grabbed a 3-1 lead.

The Braves answered back in the bottom of the sixth by scoring three runs of their own to take the lead, 4-3.

In the seventh, Wiley walked the first batter and Manager Rocket Wheeler pulled Wiley in favor of Brett DeVall.

DeVall promptly allowed two runs and got his fourth blown save of the season. He did not record an out and was pulled in favor of Braves' pitcher Paul Clemens.

The Braves again answered back by scoring two runs on a Cole Miles home run in the bottom of the seventh to take a 6-5 lead.

It would stay that way for the rest of the night, as the Braves bullpen slammed the door shut on the Barons' offense.

Clemens pitched two scoreless innings and gave way to Braves' closer Stephen Marek in the ninth.

Marek walked the first batter and then struck out the side to pick up his 31st save.

Wiley's line was still solid. The lefty went six innings, giving up five hits (one home run) and allowing three runs. He walked one and struck out eight.

"I didn't have my best stuff," said Wiley after the game. "Thankfully, we still got the win. That's all that matters."

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #68
Banned

Baseball America Office

July 8, 2010

E
ric Williamson was finally back at the office and would take a much needed three-day weekend after being on the road scouting prospects for the past month.

During that month, he had logged over 4,000 miles driving around to different minor league towns. He had seen a lot of talent, but the one kid that he could not quit thinking about was Brayden Wiley, the smooth lefty who pitched for Mississippi in the Atlanta Braves' organization.

His "office" was really anything but. Rather, it was a small cubicle that had a small desk. He did have a nice computer, but the rest of his office left much to be desired. The dust that had accumulated during his absence was disgusting.

Didn't they have someone who kept things clean around here?

Williamson got his shot with Baseball America after writing for his local newspaper for 10 years. He was 32-years-old and had got his Journalism degree from Arizona State. He thought doors would be opened for him everywhere, but upon graduation, his hometown newspaper was ultimately his only choice.

He loved baseball ever since he was a kid. He was never that talented, but he loved watching it. He was good at scouting players and he even helped the Sun Devils' baseball team during his time there. He was especially good at scouting pitchers and identifying their strengths and weaknesses.

He had applied to work for Baseball America for the past six years and had finally gotten his shot after his eight interview. He wasn't going to let anything take this opportunity away from him.

He was their grunt of the Southern League
scouting department and was told that he was lucky that he didn't get put on some short season Single-A beat. He didn't complain.

He had seen some of the best players the league had to offer. But the kid that caught his eye that night in Jackson was Brayden Wiley. He had dominated the Jaxx hitters en route to 13 K's. He was barely 19 and was absolutely dominating in Double-A. That's almost unheard of, thought Williamson.

How had no one else really known about this kid? Williamson was glad they didn't, though. Wiley would be his ticket, his proof that he belonged with Baseball America.

He had drove to Pearl to watch the Braves take on the Mobile BayBears. Wiley was getting the start.

Williamson was again blown away by the kid. The Braves had lost the game, 6-4. It wasn't because of Wiley, though. The kid dominated, tossing seven strong innings. He had only given up one run on four hits. He walked two and struck out 11.

His fastball was his best pitch, and it topped out at 93 on the gun that night. It had life though, and his curve ball was putting the BayBears' hitters through hell. It was pathetic, really, to watch them flail aimlessly at his pitches. Wiley had a slider and change up as well, but these were simply average secondary pitches that would improve over time.

Williamson saw the kid as a Cliff Lee/Erik Bedard type. That was high praise, but Williamson was simply blown away by the kid.

He wanted to talk to Wiley after the game, but was unsuccessful.

He would tell his boss that he wanted to write a feature on the kid. He would begin to work on his scouting report as soon as possible. He wanted to see him pitch more, but the numbers didn't lie.

Brayden Wiley was on the prospect radar. Williamson had little doubt that he was one of the better prospects in the Braves' system and perhaps one of the best hundred prospects in the land.

The kid was good.

Last edited by 12; 01-24-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #69
Banned

"Kid, this is the hardest part of my job."

R
ocket Wheeler could be heard from a mile away. He was yelling in his office, talking to someone on the phone. The players didn't pay much attention.

Wiley was sending a text message to his buddy Peyton Jones, telling him about the game.

It was then that Wheeler stepped out of his office, with a face raging mad, and motioned for Wiley to come inside his office.

"Have a seat kid," said Wheeler.

Had he been crying?

"Hey Skip, what's up?" said Wiley, clearly curious as to what this was about.

In his mind, Wiley thought that the coach was mad that the Braves were sending him to Triple-A. He had pitched extremely well and knew all of his own stats, how the league was only hitting like .230 off of him. Wiley felt he had proved all he needed to prove.

"Kid, this is the hardest part of my job," began Rocket.

Wiley tried to suppress a smile. It looks like I'm going to Lawrenceville, Georgia, thought Wiley. Triple-A!

"I have loved coaching you here in Pearl," began Wheeler. His face was turning red.

"Thanks Skip," said Wiley. "It has been a pleasure to play here--"

"They traded you," said Wheeler, flatly.

"Traded me? What?" asked Wiley.

"The Braves' organization has decided to trade you, Brayden. I don't know why. It makes absolutely no sense to me."

"To where," said Wiley, staring at the ground.

"Tampa Bay. Kid, they have a great organization. They really do. They have a lot of young talent."

"Who was I traded for?" asked Wiley.

"A reliever named Dan Wheeler. You and a couple other players are going to the Rays."

"Who else?"

"A closer named Craig Kimbrel," answered Wheeler. "I honestly can't remember the third player."

"So what now?"

"Well, you need to report to their organization some how," said Wheeler. "I will get you a contact number. Kid, for the record, and I mean it, I have no idea what the hell the Braves are doing. I think you're one of the best lefty pitching prospects in the game."

"Thanks, Skip. It's been a pleasure. My heart is broken."

"I know, mine too," said Wheeler.

And with that, Brayden Wiley's tenure as a member of the Atlanta Braves was over.

How in the hell?

How could they trade me! I was told by the Braves that I was a part of their plans, how they got excited when thinking about me and Mike Minor heading their rotation in Atlanta in the future.

Now I get traded? Just like that? I'm 6-2 on the year with a 1.99 ERA. I lead the Southern League in strikeouts.

Brayden Wiley sat in his apartment in Pearl, wondering what had just hit him. He was told after tonight's game that he had been traded to the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for a reliever named Dan Wheeler.

It just didn't make sense to him. He had pitched way better than he thought he would. His arm had never felt better and he was dominating in Double-A.

He would try and enjoy the last night in his apartment. He told his team members that he was traded. Most of the reactions were filled with sadness, but there was no one on the team that he was really close with. He had tried, but the only real friend he had on the team was Benji Johnson, the team's catcher. Jordan Schafer had reached out to him once, but Schafer was long gone, having gotten promoted to Triple-A a couple of months ago.

He never felt accepted in Pearl. He had enjoyed time there though, even if most of it was spent in solitude.

With his adrenaline pumping, Wiley had packed up his entire apartment in a span of two hours. He left his television plugged in and took out a couple DVD's to watch.

Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game. He would spend the night watching movies and sleep in tomorrow. He expected to get a call at some point in the morning by someone in the Rays' organization. All of his stuff was waiting by the door, ready to be packed in his truck tomorrow.

He would call his family and friends tomorrow and tell them what had happened. He didn't want to deal with that right now. He just wanted to relax and watch some movies.

By the end of the night, and as Wiley was drifting off to sleep, he found himself easing up and embracing a new opportunity with a new team.

He was still excited to see where his future would take him.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #70
Banned

OVR: 10

Best writing I have seen on OS. But I really haven't read too many dynasty threads.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 AM   #71
Banned

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #72
Banned

"You're a Biscuit, now."

Andrew Friedman was beyond excited.

Last night, he had proven why he was considered one of the best young General Manager's in the game.

Frank Wren was desperate for a reliever, and Dan Wheeler was having one hell of a season. Friedman wanted Craig Kimbrel, but what he wanted even more was that lefty. Brayden Wiley was going to be a star.

It took two hours, but Wren had relented. He had agreed to trade Wiley and Kimbrel to the Rays for Wheeler. It was a deal that was going to send the baseball blogosphere in a frenzy. Braves' fans would undoubtedly be mad, and Ray
s' fans would shower praise on Friedman for being a genius.

He had fleeced Frank Wren and the Braves, and he didn't feel bad about it.

Kimbrel was having an outstanding season for the Gwinnett Braves, their Triple-A affiliate. He was 2-0 with a 2.25 ERA and had 22 saves in 23 chances. In 31.1 innings, he had recorded 40 strikeouts. He would make a great replacement for the Rays' current closer, Rafael Soriano, who Friedman had no desire to resign at the end of the season.

Wiley was the real prize, though. Friedman had seen him dominate their Double-A affiliate, the Montgomery Biscuits. On the season, Wiley was 6-2 with a 1.99 ERA and he led the Southern League in strikeouts. He was barely 19 and was dominating in Double-A. This was almost unheard of.

Wiley had already been selected to start for Team USA in the Futures Game. He would also start in the Southern League All-Star Game.

Friedman drooled over the thought of one day having both David Price and Wiley in the same rotation.

David Price, Matt Garza, Jeremy Hellickson, Brayden Wiley, Matt Moore, Jeff Niemann. Throw in Craig Kimbrel as your closer, and the Rays had the best young pitching staff in baseball.

For some reason, Wiley was somewhat of an unknown in the baseball world, but it wouldn't be that way for long. Scouts were catching wind of this kid, and he saw a few writers from Baseball America sniffing around at his games.

Friedman does it again. This is precisely why most people feel that we run the best organization in baseball. Hopefully one day, we can keep our talent from the other big clubs, thought Friedman.

He called the cell phone number that belonged to Brayden Wiley, and to his surprise, the kid answered on the first ring. No one answered their cell phone on the first ring.

This kid is ready to be a part of something special, thought Friedman.

"Hello, this is Brayden," came the voice on the other end.

"Brayden! Hey man, this is Andrew Friedman. I am the Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations for the Tampa Bay Rays. Really, that's just a fancy title for General Manager. How are you?" asked Friedman.

"I'm good," said Brayden. "Just wondering what happens next."

"Well, first of all, I can't tell you how excited I am to have you as a part of this great organization," said Friedman. "I am happy that the Braves chose to make the mistake of trading you. I am sure that there is a lot going through your mind right now. Maybe you feel as if your self-confidence has taken a hit. Let me tell you, I think you're the best left-handed pitching prospect in baseball right now. I can't believe they traded you, but more than that, I can't believe our luck."

This guy talks too much, thought Wiley. Just tell me where I'm going.

"The self-confidence is fine," said Wiley. "I am excited for this opportunity."

"You should be! Welcome to the best ran organization in all of baseball," said Friedman.

"So... What is next for me?" asked Wiley.

"Well, tomorrow you're flying to Anaheim to play in the Futures Game. It's a pretty exciting game and word is, you're starting."

"I've heard," said Wiley.

"Then it's on to Milwaukee to play at Miller Park in the Southern League All-Star Game," said Friedman.

"I'm excited for all of that," said Wiley. "Thanks. How about my assignment?"

"Well, you're a Biscuit now," answered Friedman. "The Montgomery Biscuits are our Double-A affiliate based out of Montgomery, Alabama. There's a very nice apartment complex there that our players stay in. It's a tight knit group and you'll fit right in. Brayden, we're beyond excited to have you."

"Thank you Mr. Friedman, I am excited as well," said Wiley.

He was being honest. He was looking forward to a new opportunity. He didn't understand why the Braves would trade him, but he welcomed the move to a team that wouldn't take his talent for granted.

"Have you told anyone yet?" asked Friedman?

"No, I was going to call my parents and a couple friends," answered Wiley.

"Good, let them know. We're going to have a press conference here in about an hour to announce the deal. Do you have any more questions for me? If not, I need to get running. I've got a busy day."

"Nope, I'm all set. Thanks again," said Wiley.

"Thank you, Brayden. Again, welcome to the Tampa Bay Rays. I think you'll find out that this will be a great opportunity."

They hung up.

Brayden knew one thing - he needed to hire an agent. He had yet to do so, and he felt stupid for not doing it sooner. He was absolutely blind-sided by the trade and he didn't want to feel that way again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »