Home

From Done with Baseball to the MLB Draft? Story of Dan Baker RTTS

This is a discussion on From Done with Baseball to the MLB Draft? Story of Dan Baker RTTS within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
All Star

doncoryell's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Drafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getty51
Meeting the team

Ok, so I’ll be honest, went they told me I was going to be assigned to Akron I initially thought I was going to be heading to the Indians ball park and they just meant to say Cleveland…..Having lived in Ohio for about 15 years I hope I am not alone here but I had no idea that Akron had a baseball team much less one in the Indians organization. So much for seeing the country by bus, I get to go north and stay in the same state.
When I first got to the squad not many people said much, Alex Lavisky (C) was the one who came up and introduced himself as the other 20 year old on the roster. He told me not to worry about the other guys, they would grow to me soon, it’s just the fact that I’m so young compared to many of them. Well, I’m not the youngest guy on the team, that award goes to Tony Wolters (SS) who is 19. But he is making 10 times as much as me so I’m sure a little youth doesn’t hurt. It’s tough to make friends here because many of these guys have gone through the system together and have been playing together for a while. Then the younger guys are not looking to make friends, they are just looking for a way to make it to the next level like myself. Hopefully some more team bonding on road trips will help.

As of right now I’m eighth on the Organization’s Depth Chart at Centerfield. Here is a quick look at who is ahead of me.
Grady Sizemore: Superstar, one of the best players in the organization, 1 year contract worth about 10 million. Currently: MLB
Michael Brantley: 23 year old who Scouts project to be a role player in the big leagues, 1 year contract worth 320k. Currently: AAA
Ezequiel Carrera: 24 year old who scouts project as a possible role player in the big leagues, 3 year contract worth 111k. Currently: AA
Tyler Holt: 22 year old who scouts project as possible role player in the big leagues, 3 year contract worth 111k. Currently: AA
Jordan Henry: 23 year old who scouts project as an everyday player in the majors, 2 year contract worth 307k. Currently: A
Trevor Crowe: 27 year old who scouts project as a possible role player in the majors, 1 year contract worth 230k. Currently: A
Levon Washington: 20 year old who scouts project as a star in the majors, 3 year contract worth 396k. Currently: A
Dan Baker (ME): 20 year old who scouts project as a star in the majors, 1 year contract worth 30k.
Currently: AA

It’s nice that the scouts think I’m going to be a star one day, looks like I have an uphill battle to make it big though. As of now I am a bench player which makes sense with Carrera and Holt both in front of me. Let’s hope I get a lot of opportunities to show what I’m worth.
Considering the depth in center field, I would have asked for a 3-year deal so that I would have more time to develop and see what happens. I don't think that a 1-year deal is long enough. I had tried that before with MLB07 and ended up out of baseball for a couple of years before being able to latch on with another club.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: From Done with Baseball to the MLB Draft? Story of Dan Baker RTTS

April Wrap

I completed all four of my goals! Coach called me into his office because he wanted to talk to me. I obviously was thinking, I did everything he asked, now I’ll get promoted! I was wrong…… He told me he doesn’t think that I’m ready to move up and isn’t impressed with how I have played. (Thanks a lot coach)
My new goals are to not strike out more than 5 times and to have a slugging percentage over .310

The Akron Aeros are 13-9, we are 1 game behind the 1st place Senators in the El Western division.
The Columbus Clippers are 14-9, tied for first in the IL West.
The Cleveland Indians are 10-16, tied for last in the AL Central.

Here is a quick update on my position battle.
Grady Sizemore: .228 avg., 4HR, 6 2B, 2 SB, 23 R, 10 RBI, .297 OBP
Currently: MLB
Michael Brantley: .235 avg., 2HR, 9 RBI, 2 2B, 4SB, 14 R, .309 OBP
Currently: AAA
Ezequiel Carrera: .222avg, 1HR, 5 RBI, 1 2B, 2 SB, 7 R, .300 OBP
Currently: AAA(Promoted from AA this month)
Tyler Holt: .233 avg., 0 HR, 3 RBI, 1 2B, 2 SB, 6 R, .283 OBP
Jordan Henry: .278 avg., 0 HR, 2 RBI, 3 2B, 1 3B, 2 SB, 4 R, .350 OBP
Currently: AA(Promoted this month from A)
Trevor Crowe: .333 avg., 0 HR, 4 RBI, 1 2B, 2 SB, 1 R, .391 OBP
Currently: AA (Promoted from A this month)
Levon Washington: No Stats available
Currently: A
Dan Baker (ME): .318 avg., 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 2B, 2 SB, 3 R, .318 OBP
League wide I am ranked #53 of 55 Center Fielders in all organizations… And currently lowest rated player in all of the Cleveland system…. Can really only go up from here!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncoryell
Considering the depth in center field, I would have asked for a 3-year deal so that I would have more time to develop and see what happens. I don't think that a 1-year deal is long enough. I had tried that before with MLB07 and ended up out of baseball for a couple of years before being able to latch on with another club.
Ya, I would have much preferred a longer contract. I didn't get an option though . Could end up being a long long road to the show if I don't start improving.

Thanks for following!

Edit: April Wrap up is on previous page for anyone that missed it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
Pro

So you all remember that homerun I hit? Well you wouldn't believe the first person who called me after it happened...It wasn't my parents, it wasn't any fans, it was Jim Myers, my agent.

I didn't think he would care about a single home run as long as he made his money but I was wrong, or at least I think I was.

Jim: That Homer was huge kid! Keep hitting like that and your going to be big! Big I say!
Me: Thanks Jim, but I have to keep getting at bats to be able to be big don't I?
Jim: Want me to go talk to the manager to get you some more playing time? I know a guy who has some......Well I'll keep that to myself, but I guarantee you'll play more.
Me: Wait, you have what?
Jim: Don't worry about it kid, let me worry about it. Don't worry, I'll talk to my friend, you should get some more playing time soon!

With that Jim hung up the phone and left me wondering. Who is this guy really? Does he really have the ability to get me a starting spot on the team that soon? Do I want my manager bribed or forced into playing me?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #13
Pro

Game Monday, May 2, 2011: @ The Altoona Curve (Loss 3-2 in the 10th inning)
Well, my first at bat was ugly and I popped up a circle change right behind the mound. At bat #2 wasn’t much better with a grounder hit right at the 2nd baseman. I got robbed on my 3rd at bat by a diving left fielder. Then I got a fourth at bat in the top of the 10th inning and hit a long fly ball that looked like it would be able to score the run, unfortunately the center fielder was able to run back and make the grab at the warning track.

After the game coach called me into his office, I know I hit bad but I had some solid drives didn’t think I was going to get chewed out after this game.
(AA) Manager: Well, Dan, this is one of the hardest jobs a coach has to do, especially down here in double A.
Me: Coach, am I being cut?
Manager: No, Dan the organization has decided to go another way. They have decided to trade you to the Marlins organization……
Me: Wait, what?
Manager: They traded you for Clay Hensley, a Relief Pitcher because they have been struggling in the bullpen lately. They told us that you’re going to start off 7th on the depth chart, but a bonus is that two of the guys ahead of you are Ice Cold and another is on the Disabled list, so you should get more playing time there.
Me: Well, thanks coach.
Manager: Best of luck to you Dan

After that I called my parents to let them know I had been traded, and then I called Jim(Myers). I had no idea where I was supposed to report. Jim told me I was headed to Jacksonville to play for the Suns. Right away I am thinking that this could be a good change of scenery being a lot warmer down in Florida.

Well I have to get on a plane to get down to Florida so I can make tonight’s game. I’ll update again when I can.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Pro

Game (May 3rd): @ Huntsville Stars (Loss 2-1)

One day after being traded I showed up in Huntsville Alabama to play against the Stars. In the fourth inning I got put into the game as a pinch runner at 2nd base! Don’t these guys understand Jet Lag? They kept me in the game to play Center from there. My first at bat for the new team was a dribbler back to the mound. Not really the way I wanted to make my first impression. In the top of the 9th in a tie ball game I came through big on the first pitch and got a base hit! My first with the new team! I got thrown out stealing 2nd though and we ended up losing the game 2-1 and I got my first chewing of the new team. The good news is, I found out that because of an injury to the guy ahead of me I should be playing every Day! (He is out 1-6) days with a pulled groin.

Game (May 4th): @ Huntsville Stars (Win 9-4)

In my first at bat I proved that I should get to play every day with a double down the left field line! I scored on a passed ball that got away from the catcher, I beat the tag from the pitcher and scored my first run as a Sun! In my next at bat I hit a hard ground ball to third that turned into a fielder’s choice at 2nd, Lucky for me I was able to beat out the double play. 3rd at bat and I’m looking for the cycle! Well, kind of. Base hit into right field! Only problem, I got caught stealing again, I should pry realize now that this catcher has a good arm…. After the game coach told me I’m not allowed to steal on my own anymore….
Well the fourth at bat wasn’t anything special, a baby ground ball to the 2nd baseman and the 5th at bat was a lazy fly ball to Center. I’m going to have to talk to coach so I can get some more work in the cages soon.

Game (May 5th): @ Huntsville Stars (Loss 2-0)
Well, not an impressive display in the outfield as I drop a routine fly ball and allow the runner to get to 2nd, lucky for me he didn’t end up scoring. Then in the top of the next inning I hit a frozen rope into left, only problem is that the left field was sitting there. *DOIH* Then of course, just like clock work, my next at bat turns into a 5-4-3 double play. My next at bat I really thought it was going to get through the middle of the infield but the short stop made a great play and turned it into a fielders choice at 2nd.

Game (May 7th): @ Huntsville Stars (10-6 in 11th)

Well all I can say is WTP baby….. First at bat was a shot all the way to the wall, but the center fielder got to it to make it nothing but Warning Track Power, at least I got the runner over from 2nd to 3rd. Of course after that my next at bat was a pop up to the first baseman with the tying run on second base. My next at bat gave us the lead in the Top of the 6th inning with an RBI base hit to center field! That’s my first RBI since I hit that homer a few weeks ago. Somehow they were able to tie it and in the top of the 8th I grounded out to the shortstop. In the 10th inning I grounded out to short again making my day extremely long. Something about me must say Warning Track Power, I hit another one to the warning track in the top of the 11th with runners on the corners but again the center fielder was able to get back to it. At least we won the game!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Pro

Meet the Marlins Organization
Well it struck me today that I didn't let anyone know about the Marlins Organization

The Jacksonville Suns are 6-24, we are 13 games behind the 1st place BayBears in the SL South Division.
The New Orleans Zephyrs are 15-15, 2.5 games behind the 1st place Isotopes in the PCL AMerican South.
The Florida Marlins are 13-20, in last in the NL East and 6 games behind the Mets in first.

Here is a quick update on my position battle.
Chris Coghlan: .330 avg., 5 HR, 18 RBI, 15 2B
Scott Cousins: .220 avg., 0 HR, 2 RBI, 2 2B
Isaac Galloway: .308 avg., 1 HR, 11 RBI, 2 2B, 2 3B
Currently: AAA
Kevin Mattison: .245 avg., 0 HR, 3 RBI, 5 2B, 1 3B
Alex Romero: .429 avg., 0 HR, 0 RBI, 2 2B
Currently: AA (Currently on the DL with a Bulging Disc, is out 6+ Months)
Jose Duarte: .191 avg., 5 RBI, 1 2B, 1 3B
Currently: A
Dan Baker (ME): .262 avg., 1 HR, 4 RBI, 3 2B, 2 SB, 4 R, .262 OBP
League wide I am ranked #59 of 61 Center Fielders in all organizations… And currently lowest rated player in all of the Florida system…. Can really only go up from here!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Pro

Game (May 9th): Vs. Mobile BayBears (Loss 6-3)
Baker’s Stats: 1/3, 1R, 1RBI, 1 2B
Recap: Well I was involved in two of our three runs. That RBI double was big and then our pitcher was able to drive me in from there. They just hit better than us in this game.
Game (May 10th): Vs. Mobile BayBears (Win 4-3)
Baker’s Stats: 0/1, 1 Sac Fly, 1 RBI, 1 Sac Bunt
Recap: That Sac fly was about 3 feet away from being a 3 run homer. Not a bad day overall as we beat the First place team.
Game (May 12th): Vs. Mobile BayBears (Loss 6-2)
Baker’s Stats: 0/4, GIDP
Recap: Was a horrid performance by me in this game. Couldn’t get anything out of the infield and they all were right at people.
Game (May 13th): Vs. Mobile BayBears (Loss 3-2)
Baker’s Stats: 2/4, 2 2B, 2 K, 2 R
Recap: Well with the good comes the bad. I had our only two runs, had two doubles but I also struck out twice. We ended up going 1-4 against the 1st place BayBears in this series.

Profile Card - Dan Baker
Dan Baker | CF
Jacksonville Suns
Height: 5\'11\"Bats/Throws: R/R
Weight: 200Age: 20 years old
SeasonGABAVGR2B3BHRRBISBOBP
Last 10ABHRRBIHRSOSBAEPO

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »