Home

Summer Livin'

This is a discussion on Summer Livin' within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Summer Livin'

Hey OSF'ers,

I tried to make a dynasty last summer but then got sidetracked by college and what not but this year I have a bit more free time and absolutely want to try my hand at this Dynasty thing and showoff my (hopefully good) dynasty rebuild of the Miami Marlins. Once The Show 15 comes out I'll be importing the file over there but for now I'm playing with the Marlins starting out in April of 2014 (last season) and progressing from there.

Overview :

There is no doubt in my mind that this year will be tough. Offensively we have some really great pieces like Giancarlo Stanton, Jarrod "My name is so large it barely fits on my jersey" Saltalamacchia,and on the pitching side we have Jose Fernandez as a lock as the #1 starter.

That being said there are a lot of variables at play in the roster. Nathan Eovaldi is the #3 starter and a fireball thrower who can hold his own but is still relatively young and can either be a good starter or an average starter. The outfield is also one of those "They'll either be really good or really bad" situations. Christian Yelich and Marcel Ozuna form a fairly interesting outfield with Stanton and a lot of our season will be predicated on whether or not they'll live up to their potential. In Yelich's case his A rating is great and Ozuna's B rating show they have great potential and hopefully it will translate to great seasons.

Depth Chart:

Miami Marlins Depth Chart - 2014
  • Catcher
  • J. Saltalamacchia
  • Jeff Mathis
  • First Base
  • Garrett Jones
  • Second Base
  • Donovan Solano
  • Rafael Furcal
  • Jeff Baker
  • Third Base
  • Greg Dobbs
  • Casey McGehee
  • Shortstop
  • Adeiny Hechavarria
  • Left Field
  • Christian Yelich
  • Reed Johnson
  • Center Field
  • Marcell Ozuna
  • Right Field
  • Giancarlo Stanton
  • Starting Pitcher
  • Jose Fernandez
  • Hendersen Alvarez
  • Nathan Eovaldi
  • Tom Koehler
  • Kevin Slowey
  • Relief Pitcher
  • Brian Flynn
  • Brad Hand
  • Carlos Marmol
  • Henry Rodruigez
  • A.J Ramos
  • Michael Dunn
  • Closer
  • Steve Cishek

Goals:

#1- Make it in as a Wild Card team: I have no assumptions that the Marlins will win the NL East in 2014. That being said a Wild Card berth is extremely plausible if everything clicks right

#2- Draft a new 3B: Colin Moran is at AA Jacksonville and could be the future 3B but still needs time to develop. Dobbs and McGehee are not the answers for future seasons. Hopefully we can find a good 3B in the draft whose fairly far along in his development and will be ready in 2 years or so

#3- Trade for a reliever: One of the goals this year is to upgrade the bullpen and get a solid reliever out of a trade. Not willing to give up too much but also willing to expend a little for a young strong reliever.

That's about it for the opening post. I'll be playing the major league games and also player locking on minor league games and giving updates every now and then on the status of the Zephyrs and Suns and their top players. Next up is Opening Day! Welcome to the white sandy beaches of Miami, Florida. Play Ball!

(Quick Note: I am using OSFM v3 PitchEdits roster with the pitch edits (obviously lol). Love them and love the roster overall)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Summer Livin'

Injuries Already???

The Marlins already have suffered their first setback of the year. LF Reed Johnson was placed on the 60 day DL after suffering a torn groin towards the end of Spring Training. He was placed on the 60 day DL and is hoping to return by mid-May/end of May. His loss was big as we didn't really have any major league ready outfielders to take his spot at AAA (Jake Marisnick is B overall rating but I want him to mature with New Orleans this season). Kyle Jepsen as a result made the cut with the big league team and will be the reserve outfielder/reserve 1B.

http://dynasties.operationsports.com...d=14&sport=mlb
Old 03-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Rookie

Rockin' and Rollin'

The first game of the season came and went for Miami and if the first game is a harbinger of the season then it's going to be a rough one. The Marlins sent young gun Jose Fernandez to the mound but he could get practically nothing done. He surrendered 3 runs over 6 innings, all of them strangely being homers, while striking out 8. The Rockies just seemed to jump all over breaking pitches in all parts of the strike zone.

The Marlins hitters were also neutralized effectively with only Stanton getting more than one hit in the game. On an uplifting note, Kyle Jensen (Not Jepsen, ,y bad) picked up his first major league hit in this rookie season of his. Kid did his job in the late innings and didn't make a mistake in his first at-bat.

The Rockies though were lead by Josh Rutledge as he just slammed the ball around. 2-3 with 3 RBI and a solo HR. If the Rockies look good this often and stay healthy they can absolutely be a great postseason team and win the NL West. Anderson also went the distance and stayed under 100 pitches in the contest.

News and Notes

After the game Jacob Turner was informed by Manager Reed Johnson to pack his bags and go west young man. He is being sent down to AAA New Orleans to be their #1 starter. I really liked what i saw out of the 22 year old and think that he can flourish in AAA and help the Marlins out next year or later on this year if we're still in playoff contention. Reliever Henry Rodruigez was called up from AAA New Orleans to take his place in the bullpen. Part of the decision was also influenced by the fact that we had 3 long relievers in the pen.

Colorado Rockies at Miami Marlins
Mar 31, 2014123456789RHE
Colorado (0-0)020100002561
Miami (0-0)000000000080
W: Anderson (1-0) L: Fernandez (0-1)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSCOLMIA
COL2Morneau solo HR10
COL2Rutledge solo HR20
COL4Tulowitzki solo HR30
COL9Rutledge RBI Double (2 RBI)50
Colorado Rockies
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Cuddyer (RF)4000010.000
Stubbs (CF)4000030.000
Tulowitzki (SS)4111001.250
Gonzalez (LF)4010010.250
Morneau (1B)4221021.500
Rosario (C)3100100.000
Rutledge (2B)3123110.666
Arenado (3B)4000010.000
Anderson (P)3000030.000
Miami Marlins
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
Furcal (SS)4010000.250
McGehee (3B)4010020.250
Baker (2B)4000010.000
Stanton4020010.500
Jones (1B)4010010.250
Ozuna (CF)3010000.333
Yelich (LF)4010010.250
Saltalamacchia (C)3000000.000
Fernandez (P)1000000.000
Jensen (PH)10100001.000
Marmol (P)0000000.000
Turner (P)1000000.000
BASERUNNING:
SB: Furcal (1)
Colorado Rockies
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Anderson 9.08000600.00
Miami Marlins
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Fernandez6.04331834.50
Marmol1.00000100.00
Turner2.02221309.00
Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
Rookie

When Life Gives You Lemons

The Marlins attempted to rebound from their Opening Day loss but were instead treated to a cruel april fools joke on the 1st of the month as closer Steve Cishek allowed a game tying homer to Morneau allowing the Rockies to push the game into extras.

Once there the Rockies managed to play one run in the 14th and their closer managed to do what his title says and closed the door on Miami. The extra inning heart breaker was not without it's fair share of "Mighty Marlins Moments". Donovan Solano broke the 2-2 tie in the bottom of the 7th originally with a monster homer to right field off Matt Belisle. Henderson Alvarez also pitched a solid 7 innings giving up only 2 runs, 6 hits, and 2 walks while striking out 6.

Rodriguez did well in his first appearance this year since taking Turner's spot in the bullpen throwing 1 inning in relief in the eighth and getting his first hold of the year.

Quick Notes: The Marlins had a quiet 3-4-5 spot in the lineup as Stanton, Dobbs, and Jones went a combined 0-15 with 3 walks (All from Jones)

Rockies at Marlins |
Apr 1, 2014123456789ExtrasRHE
Colorado (1-0)001001001000014121
Miami (0-1)10010010000000380
W: Ottavino (1-0) L: Ramos (0-1) S: Hawkins (1)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Rookie

Too Hot, Too Heavy, Too Fast

Remember when I said in the opening post to this Dynasty that Eovaldi will be one of those #3 starters who can either be really good or really bad depending on how his stuff is? April 2nd was a bad day. Eovaldi only lasted 4 innings before getting the hook from Mark Redmond. He gave up 5 runs on 7 hits while walking 2 and striking out 3.

His counterpart on the mound, De La Rosa, didn't fare much better. He was also shelled by Miami's line giving up 6 runs over 6 1/3 innings on 9 hits with 3 walks and 4 K's. He simply sucked less and picked up the win...just barely.

Quick Notes: Garrett Jones is really struggling so far through these first 3 games against the Rockies. He went only 0-3 with a walk which drew a run in and plated him an RBI. His average is now at .100 but he has 4 walks so far.

Colorado Rockies at Miami Marlins
Apr 2, 2014123456789RHE
Colorado (2-0)05002210010160
Miami (0-2)100030200690
W: De La Rosa (1-0) L: Eovaldi (0-1)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »