Home

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - MLB The Show

This is a discussion on The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - MLB The Show within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
the team

k_mac's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim - MLB The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number999
Really cool to see someone boost up an Angels franchise! Trout is such a freak and it'd be awesome if over time you could build an awesome core around him and have him be an All-Time legend. He's only been to the playoffs once in his career and LA just ran into the red-hot Royals in 2014. Definetly interested to see what you can do with them, especially considering Pujols mammoth contract and how he's projected at the age of 41 to get paid $30M a year. O_O
Building around Trout was really the main selling point in starting this franchise. I like a bit of a challenge, and the Angels being handicapped by deals like Pujols' and having the worst system in the league presented something unique.

Thanks for the interest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totte
Will definitely be following along! Assuming you're playing with IRL injuries in regards to what you said about Richards and Heaney?

What are the goals from the game? Play .500 Ball and reach the postseason?

What are the top three guys you're thinking of selling off?

Would Kole Calhoun be available for the right type of package?
Yeah, the injuries and dates might not line up perfectly but they'll be out for the same amount of time (or as close as I can get it) in the franchise that they are in real life. Heaney and Richards' outlooks look pretty grim, but I'll get Tyler Skaggs back at some point this season. Other guys like Simmons will start the year on the DL instead of getting injured on the corresponding date in-game, just seems like too much work, and honestly I would forget to do it.

The yearly goal from the game is to finish over .500 and the contract goal is to reach the postseason. Might not finish over .500 this season, but reaching the playoffs (at least the WC) is something that I think can be done.

I'm not sure I really have a "top three" at the moment, so I'll just give you a list of names: Matt Shoemaker, Hector Santiago, Joe Smith, Huston Street, and Yunel Escobar. These are the guys who I think have a pretty good shot at playing/pitching well enough to warrant the attention of other teams. I doubt that I can realistically move them all, but those are some guys to keep an eye on. I'm trying to not give too much away, as I already have a move or two up my sleeve, just haven't had a chance to do it/write about it. Have a post or two before I get there.

For the right package, Kole Calhoun is definitely available. I didn't realize prior to this franchise how valuable Calhoun really is. Since the start of 2014, he's put up 7.1 WAR. He's also controlled until 2020, so I think there's some potential for a pretty good return there.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
MVP

Totte's Arena

OVR: 11

Would Smith step in as the closer if Street is dealt? Or are you looking at Salas or Bedrosian? I understand that it'll come down to who performs the best during the season. Just trying to get a feel for what you have in mind from the get go
Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #11
the team

k_mac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totte
Would Smith step in as the closer if Street is dealt? Or are you looking at Salas or Bedrosian? I understand that it'll come down to who performs the best during the season. Just trying to get a feel for what you have in mind from the get go

I'm honestly not sure who I'd select to close out games if Street was dealt (or gets injured). I haven't pitched much with these guys, so I think it would come down to who I feel the most comfortable with/has good stuff. It would probably be Smith, but I wouldn't count out Mike Morin as a dark-horse type of candidate. Love pitching with him and the fact that he can fluctuate speeds around 20 MPH is awesome.

I enjoy answering the questions, so if you've got any more throw them my way. Getting some quality insight into a franchise instead of just reading box scores and game write ups is something that I enjoy, so I'd be happy to provide that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
the team

k_mac's Arena

The State of the Angels: Preseason Report
Spring Training Comes to a Close
By k_mac / OperationSports.com | April 1, 2016

LOS ANGELES - At 19-8, the Angels exit Spring Training with the second best record in the Cactus League. However, starting the season with eight, yes eight, major league players on the disabled list has overshadowed what was one of the more successful teams of the 2016 preseason.

Staff ace Garret Richards suffered a torn ulnar collateral ligament, shutting him down indefinitely. Instead of electing for Tommy John surgery, Richards has received stem-cell injections and will be re-evaluated again in six weeks. Andrew Heaney, suffering from a flexor muscle strain in his left arm, will not throw again until mid-June. C.J. Wilson
, suffering from left shoulder tendinitis, accompanies Heaney and Richards on the 60-Day disabled list. Long time Angel Jered Weaver has been tapped by manager Mike Scioscia to take the mound as the Opening Day starter on April 3rd, when Los Angeles welcomes the Chicago Cubs to town.

Injuries aren't limited to the pitching staff, as both sides of the newly signed left field platoon (Daniel Nava and Craig Gentry) find themselves on the DL to open the season. Geovany Soto is recovering from surgery to repair a torn meniscus, and will be out for a month, possibly more. Starting shortstop Andrelton Simmons, who was acquired in a blockbuster deal over the summer, is scheduled to have surgery on his injured left thumb soon. He is expected to miss around a month of game action as well.

On paper the Angels look incredibly shorthanded, dealing with injuries to a little over 30 percent of their major league roster. What is unanimously regarded as the worst minor league system in the MLB will have to find players to contribute in a big way in 2016. If they system fails the Angels, the consequences are grim and the year could easily be lost.

ESPN's Kieth Law says of the Angels minor league system: "I've been doing these rankings for eight years now, and this is by far the worst system I've ever seen. They traded their top two prospects in the Andrelton Simmons deal and had no one remotely close to top-100 status. They need a big draft this year to start to restock the system or we're going to start talking about whether it's time to trade Mike Trout."

Pictured Right: Angels Top Prospect Taylor Ward

Kieth Law is right, the Angels system does lack a single top 100 talent, and many around the league feel as strongly as Law. With the offseason trades and the retirement of former top prospect Hunter Green due to a multitude of injuries, the farm is as thin as ever. MLB.com rates the Angels top 10 prospects as followed:

Taylor Ward, C
Spoiler

Jahmai Jones, OF
Spoiler

Nate Smith, LHP
Spoiler

Victor Alcantara, RHP
Spoiler

Kaleb Cowart, 3B
Spoiler

Joe Gatto, RHP
Spoiler

Kyle Kubitza, 3B
Spoiler

Jake Jewell, RHP
Spoiler

Chad Hinshaw, OF
Spoiler

David Fletcher, SS
Spoiler
Old 06-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #13
the team

k_mac's Arena

Okay guys, I've loaded up all of the first round picks into the hybrid roster, so it's about time to get started!

Simulated Spring Training and put various guys around the league on the DL that are out for a significant amount of time in real life, so that should be set. For some reason it threw Jered Weaver on waivers, so he isn't available to start opening day (frustrating). Got an update before the start of the season, so stay tuned.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
the team

k_mac's Arena

Angels, Orioles Complete Three Player Deal
Opening Day in Los Angeles Looms
By k_mac / OperationSports.com | April 2, 2016

LOS ANGELES - Just two days before the Angels open up the 2016 season against the Chicago Cubs, General Manager Billy Eppler has decided to bolster the starting rotation. Talks between the Angels and the Orioles began at the beginning of Spring Training, but gained steam over the last 24 hours. John Heyman, of MLB Network, reported at 11:49PM last night that the Angels had agreed to trade right fielder Kole Calhoun to the Baltimore Orioles for a pair of pitchers, Kevin Gausman and prospect David Hess.

Calhoun, coming off a successful 2015 season with the Angels in which he put up a .256/.308/.422 slash line, said that he was "shocked" by the news, but added that he was "looking forward to playing in Baltimore." Calhoun, the incumbent starter in right field for the Angels, hit 26 home runs last season, and was good for 3.0 wins above replacement level-player (WAR). The team will look towards rookie Rafael Ortega to fill the void in right field, as Shane Robinson will presumably slide into the starting role in left.

GM Billy Eppler highlighted his thoughts on the trade this morning during an interview on AM830 KLAA: "With the recent injuries to guys like Garret [Richards], and Andy [Andrew Heaney], coupled with the existing injuries to Tyler Skaggs, and C.J. Wilson, it was apparent that our starting rotation needed a boost. Kevin [Gausman] gives us an immediate upgrade, and slots in as our number one starter. At 25 years old, he has the potential to be a very good pitcher for us for a long time." said Eppler of the deal.

Gausman joins an ailing Angels rotation, and Eppler indicated that the plan was for him to start on Opening Day against the Cubs in two days. Drafted 4th overall out of baseball powerhouse Louisiana State University by Baltimore in the 2012 MLB draft, Gausman has been in and out of the major leagues for three years. He is coming off of a 2015 season that saw him pitch 112.1 innings at the major league level to the tune of a 4.25 ERA in the American League East, not known to be pitcher friendly.

The last piece of the deal, pitching prospect David Hess isn't getting a lot of attention, but was considered by Kieth Law to be the 3rd best player in Baltimore's minor league system. Hess, 22, was drafted out of Tennessee Tech in the 5th round of the 2014 MLB Draft by the Orioles. Hess ended the 2015 season as a member of the AA Bowie Baysox, going 7-1 with a 1.80 ERA over his last 12 starts of the season. On Hess, Eppler added "This deal allowed us to not only improve our major league roster, but add a very talented arm to our prospect base. David has a bright future, and we are excited to see what he can do as a member of the Angels once he reports to Arkansas (to the Angels AA affiliate Arkansas Travelers)."

When asked if trading members of the major league team, helping bolster the minors to build for the future was going to continue as a theme of the 2016 season, Eppler said, "I'm not going to count anything out. Improving depth in both areas (major and minor leagues) is our priority right now."
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 PM   #15
the team

k_mac's Arena

Series Recap
Chicago Cubs @ Los Angeles Angels
April 4 - 5, 2016

Chicago Cubs at Los Angeles Angels
Apr 4, 2016123456789RHE
Chicago (1-0)010000020370
Los Angeles (0-1)000100010280
W: Jake Arrieta (1-0) L: Kevin Gausman (0-1) S: Hector Rondon (1)
Chicago Cubs
HITTERSABRHBIBBSOAVG
BATTING
2B: Zobrist
HR: Heyward, Zobrist
RBI: Heyward 2, Zobrist
Chicago Cubs
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOERA
Arrieta8.0822162.25
Rondon1.0000110.00
Los Angeles Angels
HITTERSABRHBIBBSOAVG
BATTING
HR: Pujols
RBI: Pujols 2
SAC: Pujols
GIDP: Cron
Los Angeles Angels
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOERA
Gausman7.2633073.52
Morin0.2000000.00
Mahle0.2100000,00

Chicago Cubs at Los Angeles Angels
Apr 5, 2016123456789RHE
Chicago (2-0)0000123017120
Los Angeles (0-2)000200000280
W: Jon Lester (1-0) L: Hector Santiago (0-1)
Chicago Cubs
HITTERSABRHBIBBSOAVG
BATTING
2B: Rizzo, Bryant, Szczur
HR: Baez 2, Bryant
RBI: Baez 2, Bryant 3, Rizzo
SF: Rizzo
Chicago Cubs
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOERA
Lester8.0733154.50
Grimm1.0100010.00
Los Angeles Angels