Home

No Country for Old Men: A Utah Jazz Story.

This is a discussion on No Country for Old Men: A Utah Jazz Story. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #81
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Milwaukee Bucks win 2003 NBA Title, Ray Allen Finals MVP.

Tough way to go out, but what a fascinating alternate history with the Bucks-T'Wolves final!

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2023, 06:28 AM   #82
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Utah Jazz: 2002-03 Season Review.

Utah Jazz: 2002-03 Season Review.

The Utah Jazz showcased their resilience and tenacity during the 2002-03 NBA season, capturing the Pacific Division title with a commendable 17-12 record, edging out the formidable Sacramento Kings. Led by the legendary Karl Malone, the Jazz secured the 3rd seed in the highly competitive Western Conference, setting the stage for an exciting postseason run.

Malone, a perennial All-Star, continued to impress with his scoring prowess, averaging 23.5 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game. His dominant performances on both ends of the court earned him a top-five finish in the MVP voting, further solidifying his status as one of the league's premier players even at the ripe old age of 40.

John Stockton, the maestro of the Jazz's offense, provided a steady hand and exceptional court vision, averaging 13.4 points per game and 8.0 assists per game. Stockton's ability to orchestrate the team's offense and create scoring opportunities for his teammates was instrumental in the Jazz's success. Stockton aged 41 finished in the top 5 of true point effeciency in the league.

Rookie center Nenad Krstic emerged as a pleasant surprise, delivering impactful performances and showcasing his potential. His contributions in the paint provided a valuable presence on both ends of the court, further bolstering the Jazz's frontcourt depth. Krstic averaged 11.0 points per game and 7.0 rebounds per game.

Andrei Kirilenko, known for his versatility, earned a nomination for the prestigious 6th Man of the Year award, a testament to his growth and development as a key contributor off the bench. Kirilenko's defensive prowess and improved offensive game were crucial in providing a spark for the Jazz throughout the season.

The addition of Matt Harpring proved to be a significant move for the Jazz, as the new signing provided stability and production in the starting lineup. Harpring's scoring ability, averaging 15.1 points per game, made him an integral part of the Jazz's offensive scheme. Harpring spent time at small forward and shooting guard this season.

At the trade deadline, the Jazz made a notable acquisition, bringing in veteran guard Penny Hardaway in exchange for Greg Ostertag, Mark Jackson and Raja Bell. Hardaway's presence and experience added depth to the roster and proved to be a valuable asset during the team's playoff push.

In the postseason, the Jazz displayed their mettle by defeating the formidable San Antonio Spurs in the first round, winning the series 2-1. However, their journey came to an end in the second round, as they fell to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a hard-fought series, also concluding with a 2-1 result. The Timberwolves would go on to reach the NBA Finals but ultimately lost to the Milwaukee Bucks in a closely contested series.

As the offseason commences, the Utah Jazz face significant questions regarding the future. Will the iconic duo of Stockton and Malone decide to retire, leaving a void that will be challenging to fill? Additionally, the contract situation of head coach Jerry Sloan adds another layer of uncertainty, as his return to the team remains uncertain.

Next up for the Jazz is the NBA Draft Lottery. The Jazz hold the draft rights to the Phoenix Suns first round pick from the Hardaway trade. This pick is currently slated with the 6th best odds of the top pick. Utah will be hoping this can move up to pick of the top prospects. The Jazz also hold their own pick which is set at the 22nd spot.

The offseason will undoubtedly be a period of reflection and decision-making for the Jazz organization. Jazz fans eagerly await news regarding the future of their beloved franchise, hoping for continued success and a bright outlook for the upcoming seasons.
Old 06-27-2023, 06:45 AM   #83
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

NBA Draft Lottery 2003.

NBA Draft Lottery Odds 2003.

Draft Pick Infomation:

Vancouver Grizzlies can only keep their pick if they win the #1 pick. If the pick finishes between the 2nd and 13th pick, it then conveys to the Detroit Pistons. The Grizzlies traded this pick to the Pistons for Otis Thorpe on August 7, 1997.

The Phoenix Suns pick is conveyed to the Utah Jazz. The Suns traded this pick along with Penny Hardaway on February 24th, 2003

The Atlanta Hawks pick may be conveyed to the Milwaukee Bucks. The Hawks traded this pick along with Toni Kukoč and Leon Smith to the Bucks for Glenn Robinson on August 2, 2002. If Milwaukee choose not to use this pick it is carried forward to the 2004 NBA Draft.

Last edited by RMJH4; 06-27-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:35 PM   #84
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Chapter 15: Snakes in the Grass.

Chapter 15: Snakes in the Grass.

Meeting Transcript: Utah Jazz Owner Larry Miller, Head Coach Jerry Sloan, POB Kevin O'Connor, and GM Mike Hobbs.

[The meeting takes place in a conference room at the Utah Jazz headquarters. Larry Miller, Jerry Sloan, Kevin O'Connor, and Mike Hobbs are seated around a large table.]

Miller: Thank you all for being here today. We have some important matters to discuss regarding the future of our organization. It's crucial that we have an open and honest conversation.

Sloan: I appreciate the opportunity to address my future, Kevin. I realise my contract is up this summer. After much consideration about my future, I firmly believe that I can bring even more value to the organization by taking on the roles of President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach. I am not happy with the level of control I have, I feel this is a vital time to have more input in roster contruction. I will not be happy to only stay on as Head Coach.

Miller: Jerry, I understand your desire for a new challenge, but we need to carefully consider the impact of such a transition. We must also acknowledge the importance of having a separate President of Basketball Operations to maintain balance and ensure objective decision-making.

Hobbs: If I may interject here gentlemen, I must express my concerns about this proposal. Jerry, your coaching contributions have been tremendous, but I believe it's essential to have a dedicated President of Basketball Operations and General Manager to handle personnel decisions impartially. Removing any of those role's could lead to potential conflicts and hinder the team's progress.

Sloan: I understand your perspective, Mike, but I strongly believe in my ability to handle both positions effectively. With my deep understanding of the organization and its needs, I can lead us to even greater success. I believe this is the right path for the Utah Jazz.

Miller: Jerry, I appreciate your dedication and passion for this team. However, we need to carefully consider all aspects and potential implications of this transition. We must evaluate the best course of action for the organization as a whole.

O' Connor: Well I have got to be honest Jerry, this has blindsided me. Mike and I have worked closely with you this past season to tailor the roster to your liking. I have worked with you for 2 further seasons and have always had a good working relationship with you.

Hobbs: If I may be frank, I feel that my dismissal would be extremely unfair. I have worked tirelessly as the General Manager this season, and I believe my contributions have been valuable. It's disheartening if I am to be let go without a fair chance to prove my worth. I took a massive risk coming in here cold after all my health issues last year. I moved my family here to give this the best shot I could for this organisation.

Miller: Mike, Kevin, I understand your frustrations, and I want to express my gratitude for your service to the Utah Jazz so far. However, after careful consideration, I have made the decision to hire Jerry as the new President of Basketball Operations to provide fresh perspectives and ideas for the organization. Jerry knows this organisation inside out and has brought us our most successful periods. We cannot afford to lose him. This decision was not made lightly. I would like to invite you both to appy for the General Managers position and work with Jerry.

Hobbs: [visibly frustrated] I disagree with this decision, and I feel it undermines the progress we have made. I believe in my abilities and the vision I had for this team. It's disheartening to be let go in this manner.

O' Connor: You can't actually be serious Larry, can you? A promotion last year and a demotion or worse this year? You can shove your application.

Miller: Gentlemen I understand your disappointment, but I must move forward in the best interests of the organization. I appreciate both of your dedication, and I will support you in your transition to new opportunities. We will work together to find the right candidate to fill the General Manager position.

Sloan: I want to assure you, Kevin and Mike, that this decision was not a reflection of your abilities. It's simply part of the necessary changes I feel need to be made to propel this team forward. I genuinely appreciate your contributions to the Utah Jazz. Mike, would you consider staying on as General Manager then?

Hobbs: I respectfully decline Jerry and Larry. Thanks.

[The meeting concludes with a sense of disappointment and tension. The Utah Jazz owner acknowledges the challenges ahead but remains focused on finding the right candidate for the General Manager position to support Jerry Sloan's new role as President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach.]
Old 07-05-2023, 04:45 PM   #85
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Chapter 16: Refresh and Refocus.

Chapter 16: Refresh and Refocus.

Today has been a challenging day for me, as I received the news that I have been effectively fired from my position as General Manager of the Utah Jazz. It came as quite a shock, especially considering the success we had this past season, reaching the Western Conference semi finals. But sometimes in this business, things don't go as planned.

Jerry Sloan, the legendary coach of the Jazz, launched a coup to take over the GM role along with the head coach job. It was a power move that caught everyone off guard, including myself. I never saw it coming, and it's hard not to feel a sense of disappointment and frustration.

With no job on the horizon, I have been contemplating my next steps. It's tempting to dive back into the basketball world, but I have to prioritize my health and well-being. Over the past few years, I've been dealing with some health issues that have taken a toll on me physically and mentally. Perhaps taking the next season off would be the right decision, allowing me to focus on my recovery and spend more time with my family.

Speaking of family, my son is now a senior in high school and playing varsity basketball. It's an exciting time for him, and I don't want to miss out on these precious moments. Watching him grow and succeed on the court is something I cherish, and being there for him during this important stage of his life is a priority.

Although I probably won't be actively involved in the upcoming NBA draft, I'll still be following it closely from afar. It's always an intriguing time in the league, as young talents enter the professional stage, and teams make moves to shape their futures. It will be bittersweet not to be part of the action, but I'm confident that there will be great players emerging from this draft class.

As I reflect on the road ahead, I know that challenges and opportunities will come my way. It's a matter of staying resilient, maintaining a positive mindset, and being open to new possibilities. I have faith that things will work out in due time, and I trust that my dedication and passion for the game will lead me to new and fulfilling endeavors.

Until next time, Mike.

Last edited by RMJH4; 07-15-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »