Home

The Story of Chuck Cruz (NBA 2K10)

This is a discussion on The Story of Chuck Cruz (NBA 2K10) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
All Star

OVR: 19
The Story of Chuck Cruz (NBA 2K10)

Charles "Chuck" Cruz
AKA "The Waiter"

Point Guard

5'8" 158 LBS

Undrafted

University of North Florida
20 Years Old
Right Handed
Play Style: All-Around

Jacksonville Jaguars - Seattle Seahawks - Seattle Mariners - Jacksonville Sharks - Oklahoma City Thunder - Florida Gators

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 12-04-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
All Star

Re: The Story of Chuck Cruz (NBA 2K10)

"To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect." - Oscar Wilde

So there I was...

It was July 1st in Orlando, just two hours south of my hometown of Jacksonville, Florida. It was the annual Hot Import Nights festival in Orlando where I drove up in my nifty 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S. An awesome car I thought, sure to win a prize with my Lamborghini doors, Greddy SuperCharger, and Pioneer Sound System. Little did I know that I was about to embark on a journey that I would never have expected...

"And the winner is Car Number 0-9-2-5-0-9!"

"Holy crap, that's ME!" I exclaimed, "What did I just win?"

"What's your name kid? Where you from?" asked the DJ.

"I'm Charles... From Duval County in Jacksonville. I drive the 2000 Celica with the Lambo Doors."

"Yeah, we saw that ride not too long ago, nice whip! How did you pay for all that?"

"Well, I'm a waiter at an old folks home... Just a little time and patience I guess." I replied.

"Alright ladies and gentlemen, we've got Chuck here on stage. He's the Winner of the Best in Show and we've got a little treat for him this year. He gets to play a little basketball with a few known celebrities."

"What the hell?" I thought to myself... I just wanted to win some cash.

"He's gonna be on the court with Asher Roth, Wale, and Kanye West!!" yelled the DJ.

...Such a strange prize - nothing I ever expected. But I was down for it. I never back down from a challenge.

Jacksonville Jaguars - Seattle Seahawks - Seattle Mariners - Jacksonville Sharks - Oklahoma City Thunder - Florida Gators
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
All Star

“Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.”
- Oprah Winfrey

I left it all on the court that day.

I didn't care that I was 5'8" and 158 pounds. I didn't care that I was playing against Kanye West. I didn't care that thousands were watching only to see the concert right after the game. I put 100% in everything I do. I always do my best... I never back down.

Although the game was a simple game to 21 by one's and two's, I think I turned a few heads in the crowd. Our team lost by six, but I scored seven points and threw out four assists. I even dazzled some rapper named Wale... Drilled it right in his eye.

After the game, a few people congratulated me for putting on such a great show, but one in particularly was quite intriguing.

"Nice game Kid. Chuck right?" said a mysterious man in a blue suit with gold trimmings.

"Yes sir." I answered hesitantly. He was an older man... maybe in his 50's. He looked Filipino... Kinda looked like my uncle, actually.

"My names Mo Villanueva. I work for the Washington Wizards as a scout. I'm just here on a little vacation, visiting family and all and I think you might have something special."

"You sure 'bout that?" I answered sharply, " I'm 5'8"... 160 pounds soaking wet, maybe. And you think I have something special."

Still grinning, he said, "You got heart, Kid. You got spunk... Fearless, almost. You know what? I'm gonna call you "The Waiter". I hope you serve those old folks like you were servin' those dimes on the court... Gimme a call if you're interested in playing ball as a career. Here's my card."

What the deuce did I just get myself into? All I wanted was to win some damn cash here...

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 12-05-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
All Star

The Making of His-Story

I remember dreaming of playing Pro-Ball when I was younger. But that was a long time ago... and that was a dream. What I embarked on was a reality.

From kindergarten to eight grade, I was always the star of my basketball team - in Rec Leagues, Local 3-On-3 Tournaments, and I was even named MVP of our league in middle school.

But when I entered high school, it was a different story. I soon realized that I had already hit my growth spurt and that I would never grow from the 5'8" stature that I had. Regardless, I tried out for the team... The shortest player in the gym. The shortest chance to make it.

Ultimately, I got cut on the second of three day tryouts. I went home and cried to my parents. My first love... Basketball... and I wasn't good enough for it. For the next four years of my life - all in high school - I didn't touch a basketball.

It wasn't until this past year when I started play basketball again. It started with pick up games with some friends and elevated into intramural tournaments with my Frat Brothers. Eventually, I polished up my skills and joined my work's basketball team in the FBA.

The Filipino Basketball Association is what they called it... It was perfect for me because the league's rules clearly stated that players must be of Filipino descent with a maximum height of six feet tall... And I never knew any Filipinos that were that tall. By playing form my workplace, they gave me a nifty little bonus on my paychecks. The more wins we racked up, the more money I got.

Eventually our team won the State Championship. I was named MVP, averaging 18 points and 8 assists per game.

But still... I focussed on my studies and enrolled in the University of North Florida in 2008... I was already coming in as a Sophomore with my AP and Dual-Enrollment credits. During my Junior year I scored just high enough on my LSAT to get into the Law Program at the University of Florida. My future was in criminal court, not the basketball court.

There was no way I was gonna get distracted by some basketball scout at a car show... There was no way.

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 12-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
All Star

We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us."
-E.M. Forster

Upon driving back home to Jacksonville that night, I kept pondering about that guy... Mo. He didn't even sound like a legit scout. It was all too surreal.

I finally arrived at my house and told my parents about what happened. They always give the best advice.

"Anak, ("Son" in Tagalog, the language of the Philippines) all I ever ask is that you do your best in whatever you do and take care of our family. If basketball is what you wanna do with the rest of your life, then do go for it. If you want to be a lawyer, then know that I support that too."

Thanks Mom... What a way to say it. Maybe I could be good enough to play in the NBA. There have been shorter players than me in the league before. Muggsy Bogues was only 5'3". Spud Webb was 5'7". Nate Robinson's only 5'9" and he's won the Dunk Contest twice.

I looked at the card with the Wizards logo on it and slowly drifted asleep.

4... He fakes left... Rolls right. He comes off an Antawn Jamison screen.
3... He's got Caron Butler in the corner.
2...Chuck Cruz puts up the three point shot at the buzzer. It's good if it goes... Flip Saunders is shaking his head. For the win...

BEEEEEEEP

My alarm clock woke me up at nine o'clock. Such a crazy dream I had... Maybe it was sign? In my hand I had Mo's card. I decided to call him at that instance.

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 12-07-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
All Star

"I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
-Michael Jordan

"Kumustana Po?" I asked in my terrible Filipino-American accent, "It's me, Chuck... From the other day in Orlando."

"Oh yes, yes. I remember you. How's it going Kid...? So you interest in playing ball, huh?"

"Yes Sir... I think so. So how is this going to work, exactly?" I asked eagerly.

"Well... We'll fly you up to D.C. and you'll run a few drills with our coaches, play a few Summer Games. We'll evaluate you from there and if you impress us, we'll assign you to our NBDL affiliate, the Dakota Wizards. From there, we'll call you up on a need-be basis... Maybe even sign you to an NBA contract. So, you up for the challenge? I'm going out on a limb here, we've only got one spot left for our Summer Circuit, so you've gotta decide now, Man."

It was a lot to take in on such short notice. But this was a once in a lifetime chance... And I wanted it, bad. My love for basketball resurfaced. I couldn't imagine myself as a lawyer five years from now and be happy at the same time. Basketball was my calling. I had to go for it. I didn't want to live my life wondering "What if?"...

So I closed my eyes, bit my lips, and put the phone to my mouth...

"Yes... Yes, I'm in... When do I leave?"

"You leave tonight... Summer Games start in a week. I'll E-Mail you your ticket."

Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #7
All Star

"The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."
-Vince Lombardi

So there I was in D.C., just one week before the Summer Games start. I was going to be a gym rat for these next six days, concentrating on whatever it takes to make this squad. The Wizards only drafted SG Jermaine Taylor in the past draft and he was traded to the Rockets so I know I'm gonna provide a young, new face in this organization.

I signed a little contract with the Wizards that would pay me about a grand for these next few weeks. Money in the bank...

To show people I was really focused and driven to succeed in this sport, I used the money to get a pair of Jordan Old School Classics and tatted myself up - two full sleeves to show that there is no looking back now. The chances of me being successful in a corporate world with tattoos is very slim. Basketball is my life now.

Mo said he'll be eyeing me closely this summer. I can't wait for the Circuit... So until then, you can catch me in the gym. I'll be a Gym Rat 'till then.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
All Star

"Go hard or go home."
-Anonymous

Tomorrow starts the first wave of Summer Games. The Wizards are scheduled to play the Rockets and I am pumped! I just spent the last six days in the Gym by myself, just working on attacking the basket and my jump shot. I cannot wait for tomorrow...

Mo said that Randy Wittman, one of the Wizards' assistant coaches will be coaching tomorrow and that I won't start, but I'll see ample time on the court.

This is it... My time is now.

Last edited by CharlieBrown; 12-06-2009 at 12:18 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »