Home

2009-10 USC TROJANS

This is a discussion on 2009-10 USC TROJANS within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24
2009-10 USC TROJANS

Photobucket

USC TROJANS BASKETBALL
ALL CONF DIFFICULTY
20 MIN HALVES

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
MVP

drlw322's Arena

Re: 2009-10 USC TROJANS

Nov. 16, 2009 by Sam Saig |USC Trojan network | www.Trojanbasketball.Timu.com

State of the Program

On March 22nd 2009, Michigan State narrowly edged USC in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The Spartans would go on to play for a National Championship, while the Trojans remarkable March run came to an end. Then things got bad…

First, at the Trojans season ending banquet (March 31st) head coach Tim Floyd implored the superstar trio of DeMar DeRozan , Daniel Hackett , and Taj Gibson to stay at ‘SC for a potential Final Four run the following season. Less than a day later, Floyd was in Tucson, Arizona rubbing elbows with ‘Cats AD Jim Livengood . Needless to say, after that debacle the three ‘SC superstars swiftly decided to turn pro.

But the worst was still to come. I won’t go through the painful summary, but here is a quick chronological recap using key terms: Louis Johnson, Rodney Guillory, alleged $1,000 envelope, NCAA investigation, “lack of institutional control”, ‘Zona raid of ‘SC recruits.

Pretty tumultuous off-season to say the least, but the show must go on and it will now be directed by journeyman Kevin O’Neill . O’Neill knows a thing or two about coaching a program through chaotic times (2007-08 UA), and now the seasoned 52-year old will try to do it again. As mentioned earlier, the Trojans were decimated by de-commits during the last recruiting cycle, but there is still enough talent left on the roster for O’Neill to keep this team competitive in 2009-10.

Impact Superstar: G Dwight Lewis

Lewis led the Trojans in scoring last season with 14.4 PPG, which is especially impressive considering the talent that was on that roster. This season, the senior from Metairie (LA) will not only have to carry much of the scoring load again, but also provide valuable leadership for a team that must find its identity.

At 6-5 215 pounds, Lewis is a slashing guard with excellent shooting range. Last season, he connected on 37% of his 3-point attempts, and he enters the season ranked 15th on ‘SC’s all-time three-point baskets made list. He has steadily improved over the last three years, especially on the defensive end.

I fully expect Lewis to have a big year scoring, and O’Neill’s pro-style offensive system should fit his game nicely.

Needs To Have A Big Year: G Marcus Simmons

An ankle injury kept Simmons out for most of last season, but when he did get on the court (during the Trojans March run) he was the Trojans best defender (just ask UCLA’s Darren Collison and Cal’s Jerome Randle ). Simmons finished the season with 1.9 PPG, 1.2 RPG in 11.2 minutes per game, but those numbers should skyrocket this season.

The 6-6 guard from Alexandria (LA) is a prototypical wing player, possessing excellent length and athleticism that he uses to his advantage on both sides of the floor. Now the only question is, can he develop consistency with his jump shot and perimeter game? If O’Neill can mold Simmons into a more dynamic offensive threat, the Trojans could surprise in the Pac-10 this season.

I believe Simmons is one of the most talented defensive players in the Pac-10, and it would not surprise me to see him on an all-conference team for that reason. Hopefully, the junior can stay healthy this year because I really think he is due for a breakout season.

Potential Impact Newcomer: F Alex Stephenson

Anytime a player transfers from North Carolina there is reason to get excited, and Stephenson should have a huge impact in his debut season with ‘SC. The 6-9 forward from Los Angeles (CA) left UNC in 2008 to be closer to his family. At one point, it looked like he would suit up for the Trojans last season, but the NCAA denied his transfer waiver and he instead redshirted.

Stephenson is a very gifted post player, possessing excellent rebounding and shot blocking skills. During his last season in Chapel Hill (2007-08), he averaged 4.3 PPG, 4.5 RPG and shot 53.9 percent from the field (played 14.5 minutes per game).

In my opinion, Stephenson will be the x-factor for ‘SC this season. If he is as good as advertised, the Trojans will have a dominant frontcourt player that few Pac-10 big men will be able to handle.

My Take

Despite all the problems, Kevin O’Neill has done a fantastic job stabilizing the program so far. Recently, O’Neill put the finishing touches on a 2010 recruiting class that is currently ranked in the top 15 nationally by most recruiting services. Not bad for a program that is in the midst of an NCAA investigation.

I also like the talent on this year’s squad, as players like Simmons and Stephenson should take a lot of pressure off of Dwight Lewis. But there is one position on this Trojans squad where I am very skeptical: point guard. O’Neill has mentioned how critical it will be for ‘SC to establish a reliable presence at the point, and I’m not sure where that player will come from. Junior Donte Smith will likely be the starting PG, but his relative inexperience (three career starts) is cause for concern.

USC has the talent to compete in a rebuilding Pac-10 conference, but lack of overall depth and limitations at point guard will probably hold the team back.

Projected Pac-10 Finish: 9th Place

Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
MVP

drlw322's Arena

Photobucket

Nov. 22, 2009 by Drlw322 |USC Trojan network | www.Trojanbasketball.Timu.com  

Los Angeles (AP)- The USC Trojan basketball team finished week 1 of their season at 2-0.  USC played fairly well against two less then stellar basketball program in UC Riverside and Loyola Marymount University.  Nevertheless it is still a good start for a program that was chosen to finish 9th in the PAC-10 by most media outlet.  

Kevin O'Neil, the new head man in town for the basketball program have alot to live up to as LA fans are very unforgiving.  Many thought O'Neil under achieved at the University of Arizona with the talents that he had.  With USC's most talented players leaving early or graduating, O'Neil will have to coach his heart out and help his young players not only to believe in his system but also believe in themselves. 

It was evident in the opener against UC Riverside that the Trojans were young and inexperienced.  Trojans fell behind early to way less talented UCR team, led by UCR PG Javon Borum.  Borum took control and scored 12 of 18 points in the 1st half to help the Highlanders to a 34 to 26 lead heading into halftime.  

Trojans came out in the 2nd half more agressive on defense.  "I told the guys, were young and inexperienced, but if we play good defense we can make offense alot easier on ourselves " -- Kevin O'Neil.  That was exactly what happened, freshmen guard Tyler Sugiyama played tough defense on the ball and disrupted the flow of UCR's offense.  Sugiyama also ripped UCR ball handler 3 times leading to easy basketball oppurtunity.  USC's tough defense helped them over come a 12 points 2nd half deficit and win by 14 against the Highlanders. 

USC took a 3 day break and then hosted Loyola Marymount at the Galen Center.  LMU was much tougher challenge for the Men Of Troy.  SC was up to the challenge with 1 game under their belt.  USC never trailed after the 1st half, "I think that 1st game really helped us feel more confident about our team.  I have to step up as a leader and help us win " -- D wig ht Lewis .   USC held LMU to 26/65 shooting and out rebounded them 37-33 and limiting them to only 1 offensive rebound.  "The key to this one was that we didn't give up any 2nd chance oppurtunities. " -- Nikola Vucevic.   Nikola helped defended the back boards with 10 rebs.  USC beats LMU 88-79

For complete stats check out UCR and LMU boxscores.

Last edited by drlw322; 12-17-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

love the sportscenter recaps
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10

HOLY ****. That sportscenter recap is...unreal...BUT INSANLY REAL. Great stuff man looking forward to seeing this thread grow!
Milwaukee Bucks
Vegas Golden Knights
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
MVP

drlw322's Arena

thanks guys, hopefully i can keep this up. I played a couple more games, and had my 1st test of the season against the cornhuskers in a thriller victory on a 3 pointer with 1.5 seconds left. Can't wait to post that up

Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
MVP

drlw322's Arena

USC ends losing streak, upsets Tennessee

Dec. 20, 2009 by Drlw322 | USC Trojans Network | www.Trojansbasketball. timu

Vs Coppin St. (Nov. 27, 2009 @ Galen Center)

Trojans dominates Coppin St., out scoring them 46 to 24 in the second half. Dwight Lewis led all scorers with 31 pts, making 13 of 24 shots. Lewis also hit 3 from beyond the arc. Nikola Vucevic grabbed a career high 18 rebs with 12 pts. Coppin St. PG Michael Harper helped them stand in the game during the 1st half and scored 22 pts for the game. Harper's effort was not enough. 85-60 (W) Box Score

Vs Nebraska (Nov. 29, 2009 @ Galen Center)

Dwight Lewis shot poorly the whole game making only 6 of 21 shots. But with the score tied at 68 and with 15 seconds remaining on the game clock, USC went to their go to guy and Lewis took his defender off the dribble and hit a fade away 3 with 1.5 seconds left to secured a 71 to 68 victory over the visiting Nebraska Cornhusker for Pac-10 bragging rights. Sek Henry (SF) from Nebraska led all scorers with 22 pts on 9 of 16 shooting from the field. 71-68 (W) Box Score

Vs Texas (Dec. 3, 2009 @ Frank Erwin Center)

Trojans went into Texas with hopes of getting their 1st win against a rank team of the season. The Longhorns proved to be too tough and loaded with tremendous talents at all positions. Trojans kept it close in the 1st half behind Dwight Lewis' hot shooting 7-12 from 3 pt range, but no other Trojan was able to get going. Player of the year candidate Damion Jones helped pulled the Longhorns away in the 2nd half, scoring 10 of 16 pts to lead Texas to a 75 to 64 victory. Mike Gerrity , transfer from Charlotte became eligible and played in his 1st game for USC dishing out 10 assists and scored 9 pts. 75-64 (L) Box Score

Vs Georgia Tech (Dec. 5, 2009 @ Alexander Memorial Coliseum)

Trojans were no match for the top 10 Yellow Jackets. GT boosted a all american line up with Freshmen sensation Derrick Favors and veteran Gani Lawal and Maurice Miller. The trio combined for 43 pts, 27 rebs, and 10 assists. Center, Alex Stepheson kept Favors in check to 10 pts and finished 13 pts, 6 rebs, and 5 blks. 80-62 (L) Box Score

Vs Sacramento St. (Dec. 8, 2009 @ Galen Center)

Trojans looked to bounce back after back to back lost against top 10 teams. But instead they were shocked by Sacramento St. Trojans were not able shake off their poor play on defense. Sacramento St. senior guard Antonio Flagg did what ever he wanted to the Trojans' defense. Flagg scored 29 pts, getting to the foul line 11 times. Flagg also grabbed 6 boards and 3 assists. Nikola Vucevic had a poor shooting night of 6-16 that hurt Trojans chances of winning the game. Vucevic missed several key shots late in the game. 81-75 (L) Box Score

Vs Idaho St. (Dec. 11, 2009 @ Galen Center)

Trojans extends their losing streak, came out slow and seemed to be very un-motivated. Trojans fell behind by 10 at halftime and was not able to recover. Once again Dwight Lewis tried to carry the team on his back, he shot 10 of 18 and finished the game with 31 pts, but with 2nd leading scorer Nikola Vuevic putting up a goose egg for points doesn't help. At this point no one has the answers. Idaho St.'s front line also dominated the Trojans. Center Deividas Busma had 17 pts, and power forward Chron Tatum had 18 pts. 76-73 (L) Box Score

Vs Tennessee (Dec. 19, 2009 @ Galen Center)

Riding on a 4 game losing streak and with 12th ranked team in the country coming to your house, Trojans found all the motivation needed. USC finally broke their 4 game losing streak by playing inspiring basketball. They came out and jumped on top of the Vols and held one of the best player in the country (Tyler Smith) to 4 pts in 34 mins of play. Leonard Washington and Alex Stepheson were just way too physical for smith and other Vols post players forcing the Vols to do all their scoring from their back court. Although Bobby Maze scored 21 pts and Scotty Hopson scored 24 pts, they both shot under 50 percent and they were hard earned pts. 7 Trojans scored in double figures led by Vucevic's 19 pts on 10 FGA. Vucevic also hit his 1st 3 pt shot of the season. 96-84 (W) Box Score

Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

this back?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »