Home

Pride of a Winner l Richard Ortiz GM Story

This is a discussion on Pride of a Winner l Richard Ortiz GM Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
Pride of a Winner l Richard Ortiz GM Story

6-14-13
Ortiz Residence in Fairview, OR

Surrounded by his family and friends he stares at his cell phone starting to wonder if the call will ever come through.

This will be the one call that could change everything in his life.

With so much support there’s no room to not be confident about the situation but still there’s that little nagging voice in the back of your mind that makes you uneasy.

“I can’t take this! It’s taking forever for them to call!”

He’s been in a battle for a prestigious spot since April and it’s finally come down to this final day.

Looking to his wife who is the only one in the residence paying him any attention and he states to her, “I really need this job, hun. I don’t know what I’d do without this.”

He looks back at his cellular device and anxiously await his life changing call.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

6-4-13
Portland, OR

“This is it. These 2 men have been working hard and doing whatever it takes to make him the better man for the job. We started with 8 and what an elite 8 that was, but its now down to these 2. Please everyone put you hands together and congratulate the final two; Richard Ortiz and Bill Thompson.”

The audience begins to clap as Ortiz and Thompson rise from their seats on the stage absorbing the applause from all those that are attending.

“Let me make this clear to everyone again. This job that these 2 are fighting for is the open General Manager Job for our Portland Trailblazers. I, Paul Allen, am very excited to have come up with this contest to find a perfect fit for the job. We missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and with help from the Rookie of the Year, Damien Lillard, we came close to making the playoffs, but it wasn’t possible once.”

The audience boos with disapproval.

“Yes, I know I know. Now I have faith in these 2 final participates. The winner of this contest will be given a 1 year contract and be allowed to hire someone of their choice as their Assistant General Manager to help him along this journey. To start off this final phase in the contest Mr. Ortiz and Mr. Thompson will go the next 10 days periodically interviewed by me and others in our front office to see their plans and their goals for the future of the Blazer Franchise. In closing I’m very excited for these 2 and let the best man win. We are now opened for question for these 2.”

Ortiz and Thompson shakes hands as the audience applauses and the press begin taking pictures and shouting out with their hands up to get the opportunity to ask their questions.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6-14-13
Ortiz Residence in Fairview, OR

Kayla walks to Richard and takes her right hand and begins caressing his back, trying to ease the anxiety away from her husband.

“You know you’re getting all worked up for nothing,” Kayla stated with a beautiful smile on her face.

Richard had no response as he looks at her and begins to smile as the woman he loved since high school slowly brings him peace. Just looking at her beauty can easily calm him down.

“You’re right, Kayla,” Richard agreed.

He looked at the rest of his family and friends flooding his home to personally get the news that could change his life. Richard always had great support from his family and friends throughout his life and this wouldn’t be any different.

“I’m going to sit here and enjoy all my family and friends who came out today,” a cheered up Richard stated to his wife. Then he shortly announced, “Besides they said they’ll call by noon.”

Nearly everyone in the room looked at the grandfather clock in the corner of the living room noticing that there’s only a short amount of time till the estimated time of the phone call.

His wife’s little brother Chris, a freshman in high school, stormed toward him saying, “Its noon right now!”

Richard shook his head at his brother-in-law pointing at the clock. Richard decided to show his brother by marriage the time on his Rolex watch.

He replies saying, “Chris, technically its not noon there’s still like 10 seconds left.”

Chris grabs Richard’s arm taking a real close look at the watch and strangely begins counting the seconds down, “8…7…6…5…”

“A countdown? Really?” Richard questioned now annoyed.

Chris ignoring Richard finished the countdown, “…2…”

Before he could get to 1 immediately Richard’s cell phone begins ringing and excitement and anxiousness begins filling the air. Including amazement of the phone call’s timing.

Richard’s eyes widen he can’t believe this one phone call is determining the outcome of his life. Just turning 28 years old in March he could make front office history being the youngest to ever be a GM of the Portland Trailblazers.

He reaches out for the cell phone but hesitates as he’s just a centimeter away. Everything and everyone around him slowly dies down and all he could hear is the combination of his heart beating and the phone ringing.

Kayla grabs the phone for him then puts the phone in his hand.

He finally gets just enough courage to answer. He puts the phone to his ear and says, “Hello?”

“WHAT’S UP, CUZZ, HOW’S LIFE TREATING YOU! THIS IS COUSIN KEITH!”

Richard’s entire attitude shifted from nearly having a heart attack to just plain irritated.

“Why does it seem like when something crucial is happening you popped up?” He asked in frustration.

“You must be talking about that time when I ended up tripping over my shoe and knocking you into that girl you liked back in high school you was so afraid to talk to.”

Richard pauses and glances at his wife remembering that first day they met. It was his cousin, Keith, who got them to talk to each other.

“That was a coincidence, Keith,” stated Richard trying to avoid admitting the fact that it was Keith who helped him talk to the woman he fell in love with and married.

“Oh that was a coincidence huh? What about the time when I accidently called you during your job interview?” Keith questioned with a cocky attitude.

Richard never really noticed but Keith was making sense. Keith called during his job interview that he was hired to be one of the board members for Public Relations of the Portland Trailbrazers.

“Oh yeah you really can’t forget the time when I visited you the same day you was chosen for this contest that you are currently in now,” Keith continued.

Finally admitting defeat though he also wanted to shut him up Richard changed his attitude and says, “Okay, okay you win. I’m glad you called.”

Keith has been his good luck charm nearly his whole life. Every time he pops up in his life good things seem to always follow.

“Well you’ll be happier when you open your front door,” Keith notified.

Richard makes his way to the door trying to figure out what Keith is talking about. He opens the door and there he was Cousin Keith here for a surprise visit. Happy to see him he welcomed his cousin in his non-expensive 3 bedroom home.

“What’s up, Richie?” Keith greets his cousin as he enters the house with his bags in hand.

“It’s good to see you, Keith, but seriously you know I hate that name,” Richard replied.

Everyone greets Keith as he enters the house and then his cell phone begins ringing once again. Richard doesn’t think anything of it and grabs the phone answering it as though it was unimportant.

Once the conversation was finished he hangs up and sets it down on the nightstand.

He looks at his family with the biggest smile they have ever seen. No one knows how to react to it, but one person.

“Dude, quit before your face get stuck that way. You’re pulling a straight joker.” Keith pointed out.

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 07-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Pride of a Winner l Richard Ortiz GM Story

6-17-13
Rose Garden Arena in Portland, OR

At a live press conference being broadcast on ESPN Greg Miller is introducing the man they have chosen as they’re General Manager for the Portland Trailblazers. Miller reminded everyone how hard this test was and how difficult it was to choose the GM. He went on to talk about how all things started and closed with how it ended and now he is about to present the new general manager.

“In closing I’m excited to be here and appreciative that you all came for this official announcement. I am proud to finally present to the country and to all the Blazer fans out there the man who will be the new General Manager. Let me introduce to you the winner of the Operation GM contest and now General Manager of the Portland Trailblazers; Mr. Richard Ortiz.”

Richard walks into the press conference, shakes Greg’s hand then holds onto a side of a Blazer jersey with Greg holding the other side as the cameras is taking pictures. After photo op was done he finally took his seat along side the owner of the Trail Blazers.

“This press conference will allow you to go ahead and pick his brain almost like I did. I am personally glad that we brought Ortiz on board. I know he will fix the Blazers and put us on the top of the West then eventually the NBA. Let’s begin the Q & A’s, shall we?”

Immediately all members of the press raised their hands hoping to be the first to give their question to the new Blazers general manager. Miller pointed at a man in the front giving him the floor to ask his question.

“You are the youngest general manager to be chosen for this job. Many are wondering why Bill Thompson was not chosen for he seemed most suited for the job. What makes you the better choice?”

Richard laughs at the man’s question as he leans into the microphone to speak, “It’s interesting that you said that. I am only 28 and I believe Thompson is somewhere in his late 30s. It’s because of my youth that makes me better. I am an optimist ‘young’ guy whose main objective for being here is to bring championships to this franchise. The former employee was not capable of doing that & plan on making this team a very force to be reckon with in the NBA, but there’s one thing about this team that I noticed and there will be BIG changes.”

Once he finished the members of the press quickly raised their hands again. Miller chooses a woman in the middle of the press.

“What are your future plans for this franchise?”

Richard whips out that million dollar smile again happy that someone asked that question. He clears his throat and says, “Well I have two years on my contract and I plan on making this team a conference title contender and I can assure you the way I’m going to pull this off you wouldn’t even believe it.”

A burst of comments amongst the press began all in awe of the expectations he presented.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

6-21-12
General Manager Office in Portland, OR

In his new office Richard is soaking in all the hype and luxury that came with the job.

The office refurbished with the colors resembling the Blazers’ team colors. His office decorated by wife, you can tell looking at it that a woman put their touches on it. Paintings scaled all over the walls, plants placed in every corner of the room even the two small ones on his desk. It almost resembled the oval office, but instead of president of the United States he’s the General Manager of the Portland Trailblazers with the pressure like the president forced upon him.

His phone on his desk rings and he presses the speaker button.

A woman’s voice spoke through the intercom, “Mr. Ortiz, the man who you been asking for is finally here.”

“Oh he finally came. Great, let him in,” he stated with a small grin on his face.

The doors to his office opened and walking in is the man who he was chosen over.

He greets him saying, “Bill, I’m glad you can finally make it.”

“At first I thought you were trying to play games with me, but now after calling me thousands of times I finally realized you’re serious,” Bill states.

“Obviously this is a serious job, Bill. I can’t do this alone. I would love for you to be my assistant general manager.”

“Considering what has transpired I wouldn’t partner with you and I’m not to thrilled to work under you, but I’m a grown man and I can see that you and I have the same objective for this franchise.”

“Right to win championships, but I only have two years on my contract so I have to make a bang if I’m going to continue working here.”

“That’s why you said what you said at the press conference and you don’t even have an idea of what to do to get this team to conference title contention in 2 years.”

“Oh I do, but I can’t talk to you about anything confidential unless you’re on my side.”

Richard reaches his hand out signaling that he’s ready to come to an agreement.

“I don’t really like you, but for the sake of the franchise I’ll join you so YOU don’t mess anything up.”

Bill smiles at him and decides to shake his hand.

“I don’t know about all that, Bill, but it’s good to have you on board. You’ll sign your paperwork first thing tomorrow morning.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6-22-13

“Rich, it’s great in all, but I really think you should of hired somebody else,” Keith stated.

Richard takes a deep breath trying to understand Keith’s point in the matter. He sees the risk that he’s taking making this hire, but it feels as though this hire is a great idea.

Ever since he hired Bill as Assistant GM and it hit the news Keith has been getting a bad feeling.

“Look this isn't a lose-lose situation, Bill is perfect, he’s so qualified for the GM job I couldn't just kick him to the curve. He’ll be a great adviser,” he said getting his point across.

“You say that now, but think about what things could turn to. He could try to steal your thunder or sabotage the team or something.”

“That’s ridiculous acquisitions, Keith. He’ll be out of a job just like me.”

Keith shakes his head noticing that no matter what he say Richard won’t change his mind.

“Fine, Richard, whatever you say. Just know I’ll be there to tell you I told you so when this turns on you.”

“Nothing is going to happen, Keith.”

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 07-09-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
Pro

6-24-13

“So tell me what you going to do about this team, Richard?” questioned Bill.

“We still have the draft to help fill in spots that we need, but at the same time I just don’t have high hopes for the team we have now,” Richard stated.

“I think the team is fine the way it is. We just need maybe one or two pieces. I think we stay with who we got trade our tenth pick and get somebody in free agency. Someone like Dwight Howard…” Bill pointed out.

“Yeah you make an interesting point, but no. This team gets hurt way to much and eventually everything crumples we need to break the Blazer curse. & I have a better idea I’m going to refuel this team with new players with no history of injury.”

Bill scolds him disgusted with the way he brushed off his brilliant idea. Bill just doesn’t think this is a good idea because there is no way he can reload this team.

“Wait, I just got a brilliant idea. Something that will shake the league and potentially get who we need for the future,” announced Richard.

Richard starts grinning out of the blue and Bill gives a confused look wondering what he’s smiling about.

“You might hate me for this one, but I know what I’m doing,” he says still showing that million dollar smile.

“What are you up to?” scolded Bill.

“Let me make a quick phone call.”

“Wait; tell me what you’re planning?”

It was too late Richard already picked up the phone and made the call.

“What are you doing, kid?”

It was as though Richard is ignoring Bill as he listening to the phone ring hoping and praying that someone answers.

It felt as though he has been on the phone waiting for ages, but finally someone answered. Bill still out of the loop of his current plan stares at him while he conversant on the phone trying to ignore Richard’s poor attempt at ice breaking. After all the small talk Bill overhears the deal and anger and frustration started to build up.

“I think we can come to an agreement now,” Richard says over the phone.

Bill scolding Richard has been pretty much a habit; he doesn’t like to be out of decisions while he’s proclaimed advisor and assistant GM, but Richard continues to do it.

Bill taps on Richard’s desk to get his attention, but once he got it Richard stuck up his index finger signaling Bill to wait and be patient.

Bill can’t wait the way this deal is going he’s not satisfied with what he’s hearing.

“Alright thank you, Mr. Gilbert. It was great doing business with you,” Richard says before hanging up.

Bill slams his fist on the desk startling Richard to the point he almost fell out his chair.

“At first I was reluctant to call you an idiot, but officially you are an idiot,” Bill stated angrily.

Richard grins and says, “As much as I like Aldridge and Batum I think giving this team to Lillard is a better idea.”

Bill now standing scolding Richard very disappointed in what he decided to do especially not talking things out with him.

“You traded Aldridge AND Batum! This gotta be the dumbest idea you could have thought of. Aldridge is an All-Star period and Batum is considered one of the best defenders and 3 point shooters in the League!” shouted Bill.

“Calm down, Bill. Trust me on this one I know what I’m doing.”

“Who or what could you possibly be getting?” Bill pondered.

His thin eye sockets started to widen then Richard begins nodding his head.

“You did not just get the number one overall pick in this year’s draft?” questioned Bill leaning onto Richard’s desk.

“Now we gotta talk about who we’ll be getting in this draft to fill the void.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I am not using the real 2013 NBA Draft class but the Fictional Draft class7 created by CWSapp757/Dreece. If you have an Xbox 360 and love fictional draft classes they create the best in my opinion and you can click here to go see for yourself. To CWSapp757/Dreece thanks for these wonderful draft classes and not keeping them to yourselves.

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 07-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
MVP

Gronk4M13's Arena

OVR: 18

Following, I like this format.

Yankees: #AllRise
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk4M13
Following, I like this format.
Thank you, I hope you enjoy. Update coming shortly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Pro

New GM guts Blazer Core

David Cambridge

June 25, 2013

PORTLAND - It won’t be a quiet offseason for the Trailblazers. Not if these past few days are any indication.

The Blazers hired young new talent Richard Ortiz for their GM position to help guide their franchise into a new direction. This will be the Trailblazers’ 10th general manager in team history. He hopes to be here for a long time especially with help from his Operation GM opponent Bill Thompson by his side.

The Blazer fans suffered through last year’s 33-49 record not nearly enough to put them in the playoffs in the West. They saw too many injuries occur throughout the team and it was as though the Blazer curse was still afoot. Though the Trailblazers were doing poorly because of all the injuries they still saw sales and profits go up thanks to Rookie of the Year Damien Lillard’s star studded affair last season.

Newly acquired GM wanted to shake the nation hoping to make this team into a conference title contender in the next two years. Many doubt this happening but GM Richard Ortiz believed it was possible.

His hiring was interesting to a number of fronts. Firstly, the Blazers needed a new direction in the front office and needed someone who could work some magic with the roster. It was going to take someone willing to take risks and willing to make moves, even if they weren’t necessarily ones everyone liked.

In the span of two weeks: He didn’t bring back Terry Stotts as head coach but as assistant coach and brought in Dean Rhodes, an overseas basketball assistant coach, to a two-year deal worth about $10 million. This is someone with let alone no NBA coaching experience but also any credentials to make this hire a good decision. GM Ortiz went to no man’s land to grab a head coach. Slowly many executives is wondering if this new general manager knows what he’s doing.

Ortiz had this to say when introducing head coach Dean Rhodes to the public: “I understand that this hire may not make sense to a lot of people, but trust me when I say I know what I’m doing and I have faith in my new coach. That’s the whole point on why he has as many years on his contract as I do, because if he fails I fail and we’ll both be out.”

Also in these two weeks GM Ortiz went on to agree to a possible two-year team option contract with Center Meyers Leonard, offered Guard Eric Maynor, who stats he belongs in Portland, a five-year deal worth $33 million, and while using the amnesty clause to release Forward Sasha Pavlovic. He wasn’t done there he went on to arrange something that everyone in the league questioned more than his coaching decision. He traded away LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum to the Cavaliers for Marreese Speights, Tyler Zeller, 2013 first round pick, and a first round pick in the near future. Though he received some young big men everyone knows how high the Cavs’ current pick; #1 overall!

The Trailblazers still had their current tenth overall pick and this shows that he’s trying to rebuild and give this team a new look in one draft. He’s going all-in for this draft alone. Who knows how the players in this year’s draft will pan out?

This is the type of move that can get you fired as a GM. It’s only been tried a few times in NBA history and the results are, as always, mixed. The Bulls attempted to do something similar to this in the 2004 draft by taking Ben Gordon third overall and then trading for Luol Deng, the seventh overall pick. Deng was picked by the Suns who sold him away for 3 million dollars and a second round pick.

Obviously, Cleveland made out much better here. They picked up an all-star player in Aldridge, who will be an instant starter, and also Batum, who can contribute defensively and spread the floor for all-star Kyrie Irving to do what he does best. Though they have no first round picks in this year’s draft this trade has immediately turned Cleveland into a possible Top 5 team in the East.

LaMarcus Aldridge has this to say when asked about the trade: "Batum and I both enjoyed our time being a Blazer and apparently our time is up and its time to bring a title to another city. I'm grateful he came to us first before the media even found out. We did what we could for this franchise but its time to send our talents to Cleveland and help out Kyrie (Irving)."

There had been thoughts that the Blazers would make a run at a few restricted free agents with the way they clear up so much cap room by letting top paid players on the team Aldridge and Batum go, notably Dwight Howard, but he doesn’t seem keen on that idea.

Ortiz had this to say about the rumors: “I’m a big fan of Dwight Howard’s game but the character he had last season…I'm don't want that kind of player on our team. I want someone who's willing to put in the hard work. Give me blood, sweat, and tears…Wherever he goes I hope he likes it there.”

Ortiz has made moves and shown he’s bold…the question is will this young GM guide the Trailblazers into a future full of wins and championships or more lottery picks?

Only time will tell and the clock is ticking.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Pro

6-27-2013
NBA DRAFT in Barclays Center - Brooklyn, NY

Richard’s hands were still sweating. He rubbed them on his pants legs as he paced back and forth in the war room. His eyes looked at the clock. Three minutes until the draft. They were still at an impasse.

“Come on Richard, you have to draft Ziga Zupancic especially since you got rid of Aldridge AND you let Hickson leave!” Bill’s fist slammed against the table.

“We can’t risk him getting away … Do you know how much of a threat he is!”

Richard rubbed his hands across his low cut hair. “Baylor is the best talent in this draft.”

“I understand that, but the kid is not a big man … think how many teams would kill for Zupancic.”

Richard shook his head and emphatically pointed at the scouting reports scattered about the war room table. “Scouts love his offensive repertoire, but he hasn’t played the type of talent in the NBA and don't forget about his terrible defense … he just doesn’t seem like what we need now.”

Bill scoffed. “You’re going to take Baylor what are you going to do with the tenth pick then? There are teams aplenty who would kill for Zupancic before us. We have to take him. You won’t be able to trade for him I can promise you that.”

“I know, but not first overall I can’t risk that!” Richard glanced at the clock, his heart pounding in his ears. “We have another minute before our pick is due to be in.”

“You’re the GM, not me,” Bill said angrily as he stood and poured himself a drink. “But you don’t ignore future big men.”

“And what if we pick a Darko Milicic over a Lebron James?”

Bill shot him a glare. “And what if we let a Dirk Nowitzski slip?”

Both were entrenched. They had been for nearly two weeks now. “The Trailblazers have picked a big man first overall before … turned out to be one of the biggest busts in draft history. I’m not going to make that mistake a second time.”

Bill set his drink down angrily. “You think Zupancic is gonna get hurt or something?”

“Who knows? With the way our big men get hurt he might.”

“The kid is a good one…not a perfect fit for now but he’s a good one. Once he gets settled and develops he’ll be fine.”

Richard bit his lip and picked up the phone. He had made his decision. “Elan Baylor.”

Bill stared at him and shook his head. “I hope you’re right.”

“Don’t worry if Zupancic doesn’t fall to us…I got another idea.”

“Who do you have in mind, Richard?”

Richard gave no answered he continued to stare at the TV.

Bill sighed, “Here we go with the secrets again.”

Richard’s eyes locked onto the TV, “Our pick is in.”

Bill looked at it and smirked, “Feels good.”

“Baylor will be good for us.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Bill said as he sipped his glass.

They remained silent as they waited for their next pick.

While they waited, Richard fielded calls for it. He listened but didn’t budge…he wasn’t convinced by any of the offers he heard.

Bill has officially lost interest in the draft. Zupancic was taken fifth overall.

Bill said no words; he walked out the room.

While Bill was out there was a call that caught Richard’s attention out of all the others.

“If this is who you want then fine with me, you have yourself a deal,” Richard agreed over the phone.

Richard was smiling as he stared back at the TV.

Bill finally came back in the room and he looked at Richard and shot him a look, “Why are you so happy?”

Richard winked at him then replied, “You might wanna take a listen to the TV, Bill.”

Bill moves as though his legs weighed a ton, but when he heard the NBA Commissioner David Stern announce that the Hornets were trading their sixth pick to Portland he ran like he was sixteen again towards Richard.

Bill scolding at Richard asked, “What did you do?”

“I just traded away Marreese Speights, our 10th and 40th pick to the Hornets for their sixth pick and Channing Frye,” answered Richard still smiling.

“Why did you do that? Why do you consistently give away our big man?” questioned Bill.

“I’m just thinking of our future.”

Richard picked up the phone, “Jacoby Ross.”

“Jacoby Ross and Elan Baylor! This is insane!” shouted Bill amazed at what Richard pulled off.

“Why not join these two Bearcats back together to grow and win a NBA championship,” Richard said with a chuckle as Bill shot him another look.

Their pick was in.

Their future was set.

Two of the Championship winning Cincinnati 5 was joining forces once again.

The best player in the draft Elan Baylor and Jacoby Ross, a top five talent…Richard couldn't wait to see them work together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: If you want to either see what the players in this draft class I’m using is all about or you want to join in on the fun of CWSapp757/Dreece’s fictional draft class just click here. I just wanna again publicly thank those two geniuses and hope that they’ll continue what they’re doing and make it even better. The most realistic fictional draft classes ever created only for Xbox 360 though.

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 07-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0
Nice start to this.
Chicago Cubs
New England Patriots

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »