Home

The Queen City is Back - 2004 Bobcats Expansion Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Queen City is Back - 2004 Bobcats Expansion Dynasty within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #1
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

OVR: 0
The Queen City is Back - 2004 Bobcats Expansion Dynasty

Charlotte's NBA Franchise To Be Named Charlotte Bobcats
June 11th, 2003

CHARLOTTE -- Wednesday morning, in a press conference featuring team owner Bob Johnson, NBA Commissioner David Stern and Charlotte Mayor Pat McCory it was announced that the name of the new NBA expansion franchise in Charlotte would be named the Bobcats.

“It is with great pride that I introduce the newest symbol of the City of Charlotte,” said Johnson, whose team will play their first season next year apart of the NBA's 2004-05 season “Please welcome your Charlotte Bobcats.”

“With a name, logo and colors that are unique in the world of professional sports, the identity of the new Charlotte Bobcats delivers a strong message that professional basketball is back and here to stay in the Carolinas.”

The team’s name, logo, and colors were selected following a six-month process that included fan feedback. Bobcats, indigenous to the Carolinas but infrequently seen because of their stealth and nocturnal habits, are fierce and swift. They attack with the aid of an expansive 10-foot leap, making them an ideal representative for Charlotte’s new NBA entry.

The Charlotte Bobcats logo depicts the spirit of the new franchise, illustrating the team’s aggressive hopes and aspirations.

Of course, all of this came just two years after Charlotte lost it's original franchise the Hornets. NBA Commissioner David Stern made an effort to make sure that the league's 30th team would land in Charlotte.

To unveil the Charlotte Bobcats new identity, the city closed off streets in the center of Uptown Charlotte for the midday unveiling and basketball street festival that featured interactive basketball games, live entertainment, vendors and team giveaways.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #2
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Re: The Queen City is Back - 2004 Bobcats Expansion Dynasty

Overview:

First off, thanks for reading. Unfortunately, as some of you may know my college hoops dynasty had to end due to my PS3 breaking. While I was trying to find a fix I started thinking of a backup plan and my mind landed on this. I'm a lifelong Charlotte basketball fan and this is a dynasty I've always wanted to do.

This dynasty will follow the NBA's 2004 expansion to Charlotte from the very start and redo the expansion draft.

Special thanks for the inspiration to Trekfan, focer4, LopaKa, Xanax, SeaBoh, Studbuckets and superjames1992

System/Game: NBA2k12, PC
Rosters: 2004-05 Ultimate Mod
Difficulty: Hall of Fame
Sliders: Custom Sliders (Essentially default with just a few tweaks)
Quarter Length: 10 Minute

House Rules:

I plan to play 15-20 games each regular season and every playoff game, however, I may play a few less the very first season I want to keep the roster-building realistic meaning I won't be a perfect GM meaning a may draft a bust or make a bad signing for the sake of not having an overpowered team.

I will also allow myself to moderately edit the attributes of up to three players from my original roster after each of the first two seasons. I want to simulate the diamond in the rough players that most expansion teams find so if lets say a 70 overall player averages 20ppg the first year, I might bump him up to a 75 overall since he performed above his overall. This way I can keep some continuity and not have to replace someone just because their overall is low.

Last edited by RolePlayer; 11-01-2022 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Pro

asvpxhughuet's Arena

Man I'm psyched for this! I said I loved your old school dynasties and although I was looking forward to your College Hoops one this one definitely has some excitement towards it. I'm in the process of starting my own dynasty (just trying to find something to grab my interest), but I'm definitely looking at the early 2000's and wanted to do something with the then New Orleans Hornets.

Looking forward to seeing how you shape the Bobcats!
Old 09-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #4
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by asvpxhughuet
Man I'm psyched for this! I said I loved your old school dynasties and although I was looking forward to your College Hoops one this one definitely has some excitement towards it. I'm in the process of starting my own dynasty (just trying to find something to grab my interest), but I'm definitely looking at the early 2000's and wanted to do something with the then New Orleans Hornets.

Looking forward to seeing how you shape the Bobcats!

Thanks, it was definitely disappointing to have to lose my PS3 and college hoops 2k8. I was planning on buying a new PS3 but it just didn’t make financial sense for me atm because I have just moved out of my parents house and am still going to school (Go Pirates!) . So money is kinda tight right now for me.

A Bobcats expansion dynasty is something I’ve always wanted to do however. As someone whose grown up in Charlotte during the Bobcats years I can say that the team definitely could’ve been built a lot better lol.

As for you, I think an 06 Hornets with rookie CP3 or an 02 Hornets playing as their first year in New Orleans could be fun. I’d also think about maybe a SuperSonics or early 2000s Timberwolves dynasty with KG.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

Oh man... just came here to check your College Hoops story and I find this! Sucks that your PS3 gave up like that... I'm following, of course, and I hope these Bobcats go places!
Signs (2002), The Other (1972), Ferrari (2023) ×
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Jordan Declines Offer to Join Bobcats Staff

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- When Bobcats owner Robert Johnson became the official owner of the team, one of the first calls he made was to longtime friend Michael Jordan. Johnson promised his Airness he could have any role with the team he wanted.

Earlier in the year, Jordan tried to buy a majority interest in the Milwaukee Bucks earlier this summer, but Sen. Herb Kohl decided not to sell. Since then the Bobcats have been courting him all Summer. However, Robert Johnson eventually gave Jordan the deadline of September to decide.

Today Jordan gave the Bobcats his answer deciding to decline the offer and focus on his goal of becoming a majority owner of an NBA team along with spending time with his family in Chicago.

"The possibility of having the greatest icon in the history of the game as a member of our organization was one that we pursued to its fullest," Johnson said Friday. "But Michael ultimately decided that his goal is to be a majority owner of an NBA franchise, and we wish him the best in that pursuit."

With Jordan's decision final, the Bobcats can begin to construct the NBA's newest expansion team. We have an aggressive but reasonable time frame and would like to have a general manager in place within the next month to six weeks," said Johnson.

Among the candidates, are Boston GM Chris Wallace, Gary Brokaw, director of player personnel in Orlando, and John Hammond, vice president of basketball operations in Detroit.

Bernie Bickerstaff, general manager of Charlotte's WNBA team the Sting is also considered to be a serious contender.

Old 09-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Hahaha, of course you re-wrote MJ out of the Bobcats history

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:24 PM   #8
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
Hahaha, of course you re-wrote MJ out of the Bobcats history
This is actually how it went in 2003. MJ didn’t get involved with the Bobcats until 2007 when he became head of basketball ops and a minority owner. If only he stayed out the Bobcats/Hornets may have not sucked for the last 15 years.

I do have some plans for MJ later though.

Last edited by RolePlayer; 09-06-2021 at 11:34 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »