Home

The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2023, 12:40 PM   #1113
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Catching up from the last few weeks - absolutely shocked that both St. Francis and Stetson bowed out in their conference tournaments. Really thought both brothers would be dancing and making some noise with an upset win or two.

Would've loved to see a Dinko Derby in the NIT, but as marshdaddy said, I do admire you for sticking to your guns and staying with the play one, sim one policy. This is going to be a fascinating offseason despite neither coach making NCAAs, because I think they both have the resumes to move onto greener pastures. Can't wait!
Yeah, it really was a shocker. Both brothers just kept doing the same things all season long, much to my joy and frustration. Both teams did so well in simmed games all season, that losing to bad teams like Lipscomb was not expected.

As for the offseason, I feel OK giving spoilers because I should have the coaching carousel up over the weekend. I have gotten past that, and well...results for both brothers were unexpected. I think you'll see an NBA season recap (it has been a good one) and then get that post.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:12 PM   #1114
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Around the NBA: 2023-24 Regular Season Recap

The top of the league remained relatively static over the last 2 months of the season as we finished with Golden State and Milwaukee easily claiming the top spots in each conference, and perhaps setting up a rematch of the 2021 NBA Finals that was an amazing 7 game win for Golden State. Giannis Antetokounmpo dominated the league once again and Steph Curry turned in a vintage performance, looking like he was 26, not 36.

Despite the lack of movement at the top, there still was intrigue in the middle of the conferences as an astounding 5 teams (4 in the West) finished with exactly 50 wins. This means that the 3 seed and 6 seed in the West have the exact same record and the league had to go deep into the tiebreakers to work this one out. In the end, Minnesota won all the tiebreakers and Denver lost, putting the Lakers and Trail Blazers in between.

However, the real drama of the last 2.5 weeks of the season came as teams fought for the bottom 2 spots in each conference. Here’s a week-by-week breakdown of how things went in April.

April 1-7
Thanks to losses to New Orleans and Toronto, Utah falls out of the playoffs while the Suns and Thunder move into spots 7 and 8 in the West. Phoenix had a big win over Minnesota and then Devin Booker dropped 58 to beat the Clippers while OKC beat the Lakers in a key game.

Out East, the Raptors rebounded from a big loss to Boston to dominate the Mavericks and then defeat the Jazz. Toronto moved all the way up to the 5th seed. Despite Memphis waxing Charlotte, there wasn’t much movement in the rest of the East.

April 8-14
Out East, the Hawks and Raptors clinch playoff spots and eliminate Chicago. This leaves Memphis 1.5 games behind Charlotte for the final spot, with the Grizzlies needing to win both of their games and have Charlotte lose their final game.

In the West, Dallas was eliminated which leaves Utah, Phoenix, and Oklahoma City all tied at 43-37. Those 3 teams are fighting for 2 spots and each has 2 games, including a big Utah at Phoenix showdown. However, Devin Booker twisted his knee in the Suns most recent game and will be out for 1-2 weeks. The Suns will have to clinch without him. Utah is losing the three way tiebreaker, so they really need to get the wins.

April 15-17
The Grizzlies lost to Detroit, which clinches the 8 seed for Charlotte.

In the West, the Jazz rolled through the Suns and Cavaliers, locking themselves into a playoff spot. OKC lost their first game against the Cavs, putting them and Phoenix in a tie that Phoenix holds the tiebreaker in. The Suns lost to Boston, getting destroyed, meaning that the Thunder control their destiny: win and they are in, lose and they are out.

The Thunder must have felt that urgency and jumped out to a 38-9 first quarter lead over the Clippers and never looked back, winning by 56 points. Phoenix misses out due to Booker’s injury, which is a killer. Will interim coach Kenny Atkinson get to keep his job?

Standings

Awards
5 time MVP. 4 straight awards. There’s nothing more than can be said about Giannis that hasn’t already been written. He’s back above 30 ppg again this season (the 4th time in his career), his rebounds are up to 13.6 per game which is a career high (he’d never been above 12.8) and he even set a career high in assists per game this year and tied his career high in steals per game. The only criticism to level his way is the fact Milwaukee only has 2 titles, but he has several more years to get a third, fourth, or more.

It was not an exciting moment 4 years ago in June of 2020 when the Celtics selected an unknown Croatian point guard with the same last name as Dino Radja with the 24th pick of the draft. Selected in the midst of a bunch of forgettable players (Iker Glover, Quentin Stallworth, Roderick Christian, and Sarunas Dabanovic were some of the names around him), the Celtics picked him and Euro-stashed him for 3 seasons. When he finally joined the Celtics it was on the heels of acquiring Damian Lillard. Little did anyone know that Radja would send Dame to the bench and become one of the better point guards in a stacked league.

Damian Lillard took away Jarrett Pressley’s 6th man crown, though it was not easy as Pressley put up another great season. Vince Carter has been lauded for his work since taking over the Timberwolves, finally getting production from KAT and D-Lo. R.J. Barrett narrowly edged out teammate Goga Bitadze for most improved as Barrett dropped over 27 points per game for the Wizards.

All-NBA Teams

1st Team
2nd Team
3rd Team
Steph Curry, PG, Warriors
Trevor Merchant, PG, Pistons
Ja Morant, PG, Grizzlies
Luka Doncic, SG, Mavericks
James Harden, SG, Rockets
Kyrie Irving, PG, Nets
Giannis Antetokounmpo, PF, Bucks
Anthony Davis, PF, Lakers
Jerry Sparks, PF, Hornets
Zion Williamson, PF, Pelicans
Bam Adebayo, C, Suns
Kristaps Porzingis, PF, Mavericks
Nikola Jokic, C, Nuggets
Joel Embiid, C, 76ers
DeAndre Ayton, C, Warriors

All-Defensive Teams

1st Team
2nd Team
Ben Simmons, PG, 76ers
Dejounte Murray, PG, Suns
Matisse Thybulle, SG, 76ers
Donte DiVincenzo, SG, Bucks
Giannis Antetokounmpo, PF, Bucks
Kawhi Leonard, SF, Raptors
Anthony Davis, PF, Lakers
Jonathan Isaac, SF, Nuggets
Andre Drummond, C, Mavericks
Joel Embiid, C, 76ers

All-Rookie Teams

1st Team
2nd Team
Bruno Radja, PG, Celtics
Ndudi Colter, SG, Knicks
Uros Dragic, PG, Honu
Jerald McLaren, SG, Pelicans
Jameer Trammell, SF, Magic
Matthew Carroll, SG, Bulls
Bobby Drake, SF, Sonics
Horace Wolfe, PF, Spurs
Sagana Dupree, PF, Sonics
Sherman Turner, PF, Clippers

Playoff Matchups

The Hornets are an exciting team that fans love playing in 2K. The problem is that they can’t stop anyone and struggle to control the paint. Against Giannis and Capela, it’s hard to imagine they will do well. Matt Forney will be out 1-2 weeks, but Milwaukee should persevere. Bucks in 4.

What a 2-7 matchup! Philadelphia is looking to finally break through and has their best team in years with the emergence of Thybulle and the addition of John Wall. Toronto has underperformed but started playing better and better this season and you can bet against Kawhi in the playoffs. 76ers in 6.

With Andrew Wiggins hurt, the Pistons will need a monumental performance from Trevor Merchant and Marvin Bagley, and even then it will be tough to outduel Irving, Durant, and Ernesto Parkinson. Nets in 5.

While a 4-seed is disappointing for Boston, they are a very dangerous team and even with DeMar DeRozan back for the Hawks, Boston is so talented and features a bench better than some teams’ starters with Lillard, Hayward, Kevin Knox, Romeo Langford, and Tacko Fall. Celtics in 6.

You never know what you’re going to get with OKC. It’s not inconceivable to think they could win this series, but odds are that they’ll end up winning 1-2 and every game will be decided by double digits. Warriors in 6.

Houston isn’t sexy, but they got it done all season and face the streaky Jazz in round 1. The veterans Harden, Westbrook, Randle, and Favors lead the way with young backups and should be too much for Mitchell, Gobert, and friends. Rockets in 5.

This may be the single most tantalizing round 1 matchup. The talented and possibly over-achieving T-Wolves against the top-heavy and under-achieving Nuggets. Can this be an Arnold McNurlin coming out party, or will the Big 4 of the Nuggets overpower Minnesota? Nuggets in 6.

This may be LeBron and the Lakers lasts run, and they’ll have to do it without Paul George. However, they have infinitely more playoff experience than these young Blazers. Portland excels at perimeter defense with Brogdon, Brown, and Cousinard, but don’t have any obvious go-to scorers unless Cousinard or Brown decides to exceed expectations. Starting rookie David Bruff over Domatas Sabonis is an interesting gamble for Portland. Lakers in 7.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:27 PM   #1115
Rookie

OVR: 0

Jeesh, lots of exciting playoff matchups here. Charlotte looks like the most exciting first round exit team of all-time, Richaun Holmes most average 20 points alone from Fox & Lonzo dumpoffs lol.

I'm predicting a Warriors - 76ers Finals matchup but Philly versus Milwaukee in the ECF will be an interior defensive bloodbath between all of the guys both teams have upfront
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2023, 06:04 PM   #1116
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshNormanMane
Jeesh, lots of exciting playoff matchups here. Charlotte looks like the most exciting first round exit team of all-time, Richaun Holmes most average 20 points alone from Fox & Lonzo dumpoffs lol.

I'm predicting a Warriors - 76ers Finals matchup but Philly versus Milwaukee in the ECF will be an interior defensive bloodbath between all of the guys both teams have upfront
You got me to look at the stats. The other guys were so ball-dominant and Holmes that he only scored 8.7 ppg.

Jerry Sparks: 23.8
Zach LaVine: 21.7
De'Aaron Fox: 17.9 (8 assist per game)
Lonzo Ball: 13.1 (10 assists per game)
Bobby Portis: 13.0

Charlotte had the 10th ranked scoring offense in the league, but actually allowed more points per game than they scored. They had the 6th worst scoring defense in the league. The next worst team to make the playoffs was the Hawks at 12th worst.

Philly would be thrilled to finally make a finals. They keep having great regular seasons and flaming out in the playoffs. I think Golden State is a great prediction from the West, they are so talented and consistent.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #1117
MVP

studbucket's Arena

NCAA Coach Carousel

Dinko was watching the TV with a mix of horror and pride. While he was glad his brother had his back, he wasn’t sure this is how he wanted it to go down.

Oggy: “…you had the perfect candidate. An alum. One of the greatest up-and-coming coaches in the country. Someone who LIVED IN YOUR CITY. You had him right down the road. He wanted to come. AND YOU DIDN’T EVEN INTERVIEW HIM!?”

Newscaster: “Coach Dragomirov, could we talk about your new ro-”

Oggy: “there’s a time and place for that, and it’s not now. I am beyond grateful for my new opportunity, but I am so pissed. I am so pissed off at Duquesne. I’m sure Mike Hope-”

Newscaster: “Mark Pope”

Oggy: “Yeah, Pope. I’m sure coach Pope is a fine coach. You don’t get one of these 300 jobs if you’re not. But you have an alum. A guy who lives for Pittsburgh basketball. And you choose a guy from High Point who grew up in Omaha!? Duquesne hasn’t made the dance in over 50 years. Their basketball program sucks. It’s an embarrassment, and it’s decisions like these that just further that embarrassment. I’m livid.

...and I’m done. I’m sure that’ll increase your ratings. What questions do you have for me?

Newscaster: “Thank you coach. As I was asking earlier, I’d love for you to talk more about….”

Dinko turned off the TV. This wasn’t how he wanted to get attention, but he was grateful his brother would say out loud what he wouldn’t dare say. He heard from some friends at the university that he wasn’t even in the top 6 coaches that the Dukes were considering, which was unbelievable. He was ticked off, and all of his opponents – especially Duquesne – were going to feel that reality next season.

-----

Oggy couldn’t believe the real estate market out here. For the price of a simple condo he could live like a king back in DeLand. But he needed to shake that off and realize that’s part of the deal when you move to Los Angeles. Loyola Marymount had a fun history – it was ancient history, but it was still special – and he loved the idea of being in school with a beautiful campus right by the beach in a talent-rich area.

He was hoping for a bigger school than LMU, but the WCC was easily a better conference than the Atlantic Sun and had a lot of history between Gonzaga, San Francisco, and fun moments from the other schools. When he had surveyed the NCAA landscape, he expected 6-7 major jobs to open up, especially some from the Atlantic 10 and Mountain West conferences. Unfortunately only 1 job opened up and those nitwits at Duquesne decided to pass over his brother. So Oggy easily declined offers from Canisius and Wright State to take his next step in Southern California.

It was going to be a big project. The Lions were 4-24 last year and 1-13 in conference and haven’t made the NCAA tournament since the years of Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble (1989). They were an objectively bad team, and it’s not like Oggy could re-stock via recruiting. LMU had a single scholarship and it had already been used on a 3-star JuCo sophomore: Ervin Brooks, a 6’6” SF. Oggy wasn’t sure he was even talented, but he’d withhold judgment until training camp.

He’d be facing off against NIT finalists Gonzaga as well as both San Francisco and Santa Clara who made the NCAAs this season. The good news is that he’d be doing it with a relatively experienced roster and a fresh transfer who had to sit out last year. Looking at his roster, there were 4 players he thinks would be locked into starting roles:
  1. Herbert Nashif (senior, PF, 77 ovr) – at 6’10”, Nashif is a decent interior scorer and athlete.
  2. Immanuel Kahrimanovic (senior, PG, 76 ovr) – the undersized guard is a transfer from UNLV and a good 3 point shooter. Despite his size, Oggy may put him at the two.
  3. Evan Harris (junior, PG, 71 ovr) – Harris has good size for a point guard and is the fastest player on the team.
  4. Skip Salow (junior, SG, 71 ovr) – Salow is long at 6’6” and is a pretty good all around shooter. Maybe he could be a dollar store version of Vern Quick for the Lions.

Who was Oggy’s fifth starter? Maybe recruit Ervin Brooks, or perhaps 6’7” PF Reid Christensen who is brimming with potential but still quite raw. Oggy was sad to be losing the only 7 footer on the roster as senior Ted Harvey is graduating. He’d have to find a way to make due this year.

He didn’t bring either Stetson assistant with him to LA, starting fresh with the offensive-minded Clayton Bowen and a well-rounded, disciplined veteran coach in Dominic Fearing.

-----

Back at Stetson, there were no hard feelings toward Oggy. He had been very transparent about his desires and very clearly gave his all to the program. They were on track toward getting some very solid recruits and were in the midst of the greatest 4-year run in program history. New Hatters head coach Shane Havens comes from UConn where he was an assistant for the last few seasons and is expected to continue to compete for NCAA tournament berths the next few years with the core of Evertsen, Dahi, Nevill, Rowe, Causey, and Mulic.

-----

There was a lot of movement of coaches from small schools this offseason, with 30 schools experiencing coaching changes. The most notable change was the absolute ridiculous coaching swap between High Point and Duquesne. Not only did Duquesne hire Mark Pope from High Point, but High Point hired fired Dukes coach Keith Dambrot. NCAA basketball is a weird place.

School
Previous Coach
Reason
New Coach
Duquesne
Keith Dambrot
Fired
Mark Pope (High Point)
Canisius
Reggie Witherspoon
Fired
Laurie Allison (American)
Wright State
Scott Nagy
Fired
Avi Shumate (Utah Valley State)
Loyola Marymount
Mike Dunlap
Fired
Ognyan Dragomirov (Stetson)
New Orleans
Mark Slessinger
Fired
Chris Ogden (UT-Arlington)
Youngstown State
Jerrod Calhoun
Fired
Bruce Johnsen (Bethune-Cookman)
Stetson
Ogyan Dragomirov
New job
Shane Havens (UConn assistant)
High Point
Mark Pope
New job
Keith Dambrot (Duquesne)
American
Laurie Allison
New job
Courtney Bonner (Toledo assistant)
UT-Arlington
Chris Ogden
New job
Greg Kampe (Oakland)
Coastal Carolina
Cliff Ellis
Retired
Abdul Schafer (VCU assistant)
IPFW
Jon Coffman
Fired
Tremmell Spooner (Temple assistant)
Oakland
Greg Kampe
Fired
Brian Riggs (Oakland assistant)
Morehead State
Preston Spradlin
Fired
Jaron Dahi (George Mason assistant)
Utah Valley State
Avi Shumate
New job
Mike Brennan (Old Dominion assistant)
Lehigh
Brett Reed
Fired
Kirsten Leadbetter (Western Michigan assistant)
Western Illinois
Billy Wright
Fired
Horace Stewart (Pacific assistant)
CSU Bakersfield
Rod Barnes
Fired
Georgy Hehn (Oral Roberts assistant)
Jacksonville State
Ray Harper
Fired
Tiras Atuahene (Southern Utah assistant)
UL-Calcutta
Adam Walsh
Fired
Jayce Law (Oral Roberts assistant)
The Citadel
Duggar Baucom
Fired
Philip Wade (UC Irvine assistant)
Eastern Washington
Shantay Legans
Fired
Mark Byington (Georgia Southern)
Arkansas Pine Bluff
George Ivory
Retired
Joe Moss (George Washington assistant)
Winston-Salem State
Cleo Hill, Jr.
Fired
Leonard Gogerty (George Washington assistant)
Brown
Mike Martin
Fired
Scott Nagy (Wright State)
Princeton
Mitch Henderson
Fired
Bryan Gibson (UC Irvine assistant)
Southeast Missouri
Rick Ray
Fired
Nicholas Love (Akron assistant)
Georgia Southern
Mark Byington
Fired
John Bing (Georgia Southern assistant)
McNeese State
Heath Schroyer
Fired
Elijah Kabba (Missouri State assistant)
Texas Southern
Johnny Jones
Fired
Halston Rhodes (unemployed)
Bethune-Cookman
Bruce Johnsen
New job
Michael Scheer (Long Beach State assistant)

-----

For the Hatters, both Brendon Pocius and Jeremy Scott have graduated.

For St. Francis, Cassiano Djordjevic graduated but Geary Doss left the program, frustrated with playing time, and transferred to Maryland Eastern Shore.

Old 11-12-2023, 07:58 PM   #1118
Pro

Dawgfan1's Arena

OVR: 2

Very unfortunate end to the season with both brothers missing the dance, I was cheering for them to make it and enhance their chances of landing the jobs they were looking for. Jumping past the mid-major level into major conference jobs is hard to do and I feel like making the tourney would've had to be the bare minimum to have any real chance, since the game values your most recent season highly in the carousel. And maybe that wouldn't have even been enough. I will admit I don't have much experience making several tournaments in a small conference though, so my knowledge is limited.

I'm not surprised Dinko didn't get the Duquesne job, but hiring the High Point coach is a strange move. I've always felt like CPU coaches are valued differently in the carousel than User coaches and that might prove it. HPU made the tourney this year, but have they done anything else? Hopefully the Dukes suck out loud and Dinko gets another shot in 2-4 years when his resume is even better.

For some reason I've always wanted to coach LMU in 2K8 (maybe their Elite Eight run and 30+-year tourney drought entices me, RIP Hank Gathers), I am excited to see what Oggy does there! The West Coast is always so fun and challenging in this game, there should be more opportunities for at-large bids than other mid-major confs.
MLB: Atlanta Braves
Soccer: Southampton and Atlanta United
Old 11-12-2023, 09:17 PM   #1119
MVP

ChosenOne58's Arena

OVR: 5

LMU looks to be a good move. It will be interesting for sure.

Can't wait to see how it all pans out.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:22 PM   #1120
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan1
Very unfortunate end to the season with both brothers missing the dance, I was cheering for them to make it and enhance their chances of landing the jobs they were looking for. Jumping past the mid-major level into major conference jobs is hard to do and I feel like making the tourney would've had to be the bare minimum to have any real chance, since the game values your most recent season highly in the carousel. And maybe that wouldn't have even been enough. I will admit I don't have much experience making several tournaments in a small conference though, so my knowledge is limited.
I do think making the tourney would have made a big difference for sure. My closest previous experience was going:
2 years Eastern Illinois
3 years Boise State
Hired at Wisconsin

The sliders were easier and I played every game for that one, so there was much more success (made the Sweet 16 once with BSU), but getting to Wisconsin in year 6 made me think that getting somewhere in a major conference may be possible, but I was wrong.

Quote:
I'm not surprised Dinko didn't get the Duquesne job, but hiring the High Point coach is a strange move. I've always felt like CPU coaches are valued differently in the carousel than User coaches and that might prove it. HPU made the tourney this year, but have they done anything else? Hopefully the Dukes suck out loud and Dinko gets another shot in 2-4 years when his resume is even better.
Yeah, the High Point hiring was weird for a few reasons:
He spent 3 years at Utah Valley State, got fired, and went to High Point. At High Point, he was only there 2 years. Year 1 he finished second and then lost right away in the conference tournament. In Year two he won the regular season and postseason title in the Big South, the lost in round 1 to Villanova.

Not an especially great track record.

Quote:
For some reason I've always wanted to coach LMU in 2K8 (maybe their Elite Eight run and 30+-year tourney drought entices me, RIP Hank Gathers), I am excited to see what Oggy does there! The West Coast is always so fun and challenging in this game, there should be more opportunities for at-large bids than other mid-major confs.
Yeah, there are a lot of random teams you could end up at that don't really have a lot of history or interesting background (San Jose State, Southern Miss, etc) but there are a few that have a history that make them more exciting. I am glad to get the LMU job (even if they were terrible) and it'll be my first time in the WCC, which is exciting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »