Home

We'll Make It Work: The Coaching Career of Matthew Oder

This is a discussion on We'll Make It Work: The Coaching Career of Matthew Oder within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: We'll Make It Work: The Coaching Career of Matthew Oder

The Road to Recovery starts with a running back
Matthew Oder decides to convert receiver Nick Calhoun

September 25th, 2009

When Matthew Oder stared at the season stat book this morning, he noticed that the man with the highest average running was his receiver, Nick Calhoun - a 3.6 average on only 3 carries.

"I'm not stupid," he started, "But those are some good stats for someone who has never run the ball before. After all, we are the worst running team in the country right now - what have we got to lose."

Any more kind of losing and Oder could be out of a job before the season ends - so that's why there is a high priority in the running department tomorrow against the Florida Gators (2-2).

The Gators have no problem running the ball. Sophomore running back Leroy Cobb has been on a tear with over 170-yards, averaging 4.5 yards a carry and one touchdown.

Along with Cobb's running is the leadership by fellow sophomore, quarterback Kevin Tatum - who's missile of an arm has guided the Gators to two wins, but it is also that missile of an arm that has been the downfall for the young team with 6 interceptions.

"He can be contained - which is great," says Oder, "But I feel like we are going to get the short end of the stick in regards to respect, so we aren't necessarily going to focus on containing the young man - I'm actually going to allow him to go hog wild. Let's see how many mistakes he comes up with on his own."

Someone who the Wildcats do not want to go 'hog wild' is the ball-hawking safety, sophomore Bubba Simms.

"Bubba isn't the sharpest tool in the shed," says Gators head coach, Urban Meyer, "But that makes it easier on a coach because you can keep things simple - and I tell him to GET THE BALL."

Getting the ball out of the air has been Simms' forte, as he has 4 interceptions already this season. However, the young man has only 10 tackles to his name.

"So pretty much we'll run towards him, but not throw to him," said a more than ready looking Nate Wyatt, Kentucky's quarterback, "I think that could work."

Any which way, Matthew Oder will be looking for some form of a victory today.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Florida 30, Kentucky 7
Pass-happy Gators overthrow Wildcats, Wyatt sidelined for a week, Richards for the season

>>> QB Tatum (UF) - 22/40, 295 yds, 2 TD; WR Barron- 8 rec, 74 yds, TD
>>> QB White (UK) - 8/12, 156 yds, TD, INT; WR McCroy - 4 rec, 93 yds

Lexington, KY
(Kentuckysports.com) -- The joke of the SEC continued to display their ability to lose by excessive margins
. Matthew Oder's Kentucky Wildcats now fall 1-4 on the season, 0-2 in the SEC.

"Well, everyone knows how hard the SEC is," says Oder, "But that is no excuse for the way we have been playing these games. I'm not going to say we're going to get better. Actually, we could get a lot worse. What I will say is that our heart has to be in the right place first - and that's simply not there right now."

It was a bitter loss as well to freshman running back, Mark Richards, who's first return of the game resulted in the young man to absorb a couple of tackles before laying helplessly on the field with a partially torn ACL.

"We will need his strength in the offseason" says Oder.

More strength will be needed this season though, Coach - and with the way the team is giving up plays - it's hard to imagine there will be a change.

The Florida Gators were led by their quarterback, Kevin Tatum, who threw for just over 290 yards and two touchdowns. Urban Meyer's team decided there was no need to beat the Wildcats on the ground, and opted to throw the ball the majority of the downs.

"They started off real well against us," praised Meyer on the Wildcats defense, "But eventually they couldn't help but relinquish the control on our receivers' routes - and Kevin (Tatum) was really slinging it today."

Backup quarterback, sophomore Caleb White, had to be introduced to the season when Nathan Wyatt fell down clutching his non-throwing arm in the third quarter.

White showed he can play ball and threw for over 150 yards with a touchdown - but an interception as well.

"I didn't want to do that," said the biology major, "That kind of throw just did not seem to bode well for the team."

White's referral to his interception thrown to Florida safety, Bubba Simms, who snatched the ball out of the air and proceeded to return the other way untouched into the endzone.

Simms interception marks his 5th of the season.

Next week might spell a competitive atmosphere for the Wildcats as 1-4 Tulane come into Lexington.

"We will take a win any which way we can," Oder finalized, "It's time to get out of this rut - and I'm tired of making the same comments after every game!"

Malcolm Earl puts the hurt on a Florida receiver to prevent a touchdown, but Bubba Simms puts the hurt on a comeback as his interception for a touchdown was not well received from the Lexington crowd.

2009 Kentucky Wildcats Remaining Schedule

Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Time to take Advantage
Oder hosts old team Tulane in a must-win battle for win number two

October 2, 2009

Earlier in the year, Matthew Oder mentioned that being part of the Tulane football program was just a "stepping stone", and that there is not any person who chooses to coach at Tulane as a career.

Well tomorrow afternoon, Oder will be the center of attention as all eyes will be fixated on what he can do to keep his current job with the Kentucky Wildcats - and hopefully he does not plan on "stepping" on any toes along the way - unless they are those of Tulane.

The Green Wave have last their first four games this year, but are coming off a tremendous morale boosting victory over Texas Tech last week, 40-26.

"Nothing can stop us when we get on these kind of streaks," stated a confident head coach, Bob Toledo, "But we have never been on a streak this season - other than a losing one - so it's hard to say how we'll go about today against Kentucky."

Tulane comes into Lexington hailing a youthful squad. They are led by quarterback, junior, Vernon Schneider, who has 869 yards to his name with three touchdowns, but six interceptions.

"That makes me hungry for the ball," said Kentucky freshman safety, Michael Landrum, "When you see that kind of stat on the sheet - you just know this guy will take some chances down the field - where I'll be waiting."

The Green Wave also pack a double punch in the running game with freshman Leslie Anderson leading the way with an average of 3.6 yards a carry and two touchdowns. Also a freshman, second to Anderson, is Darius Morton - who's average is 6.7 yards a carry with one touchdown this year.

"Definitely something we are watching intently," says freshman linebacker for Kentucky, Graham Pace, "The good thing is they aren't small guys - both above six-feet, we'll be able to find them and dish out some hits."

Speaking of dishing out hits, the Green Wave also bring on senior Jose Scott, a fierce middle linebacker who has 28 tackles (2nd on team) and 9 tackles for a loss, including 3 sacks and an interception.

"We are going to have to watch wheen we throw across the middle," says Matthew Oder, "Especially with Caleb (White) behind center. He's got a nack of taking chances - and cane sometimes be a bit over-confident in his decision making. While I appreciate the mentality and drive of the young man - it's not what wins football games."

The battle of the 1-4s could definitely be the most important game for Oder as he faces a side that is more than capable of putting further hurt on an already battered Kentucky side.

"We are down on our luck, I'm not going to lie there. But, it's the type of fight we put up when we're at rock bottom which makes us stronger this season. We haven't had a game that has really tested our mindset - this could very well be the game we start taking advantage of the chances."

Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Tulane 22, Kentucky 19
Losing Good?Green Wave snatch over-time victory from Wildcats

>>> QB Schneider (TUL) - 16/29, 175 yds, 2 TD; WR Marsh - 1 rec, 9 yds, TD (Game Winning)
>>> QB White (UK) - 18/32, 243 yds, 2 TD; WR Gore - 10 rec, 148 yds, TD

Lexington, KY
(Kentuckysports.com) -- Suprisingly there were no boos at the end of the game from the Lexington crowd.

Instead there was nothing but cheers and applause. They had recognized that their Kentucky Wildcats had just been through an intense battle, and a game for the ages.

"We played our hearts out tonight," says an onlooker, "Them boys did the best they could - and just fell short - what a great game though!"

Suffering his 5th defeat this 2009 season, Matthew Oder had nothing but praise as well about his team.

"Something pretty incredible happened here tonight. We were beaten on some occasions - but continued to fight, that came from the heart. I appreciate that. This loss was just like a win for us."

The most dramatic scene occured with only 7 seconds remaining on the clock.

After a solid kick return of 40-yards (add ten more for a facemask penalty on Tulane), Caleb White and the Wildcats began their march down the field.

At least that was the intent.

Instead, they were halted on three downs by the impressive Tulane secondary.

Finally, on 4th & 12, White chucked a hail-mary throw towards the far right corner of the endzone. Tulane defensive back, Hakeem Anderson, was positioned with senior Wildcat, Keenan Gore.

Gore somehow managed to position himself behind the defender and as the Tulane player leaped to swat the ball away - Gore stuck out his hands in hopes of a whiff.

And a Whiff it was.

Pure bliss erupted from the stadium - there was nothing but screaming and hollering from all corners of the endzone. Gore was mauled by his teammates in the back of the endzone.

And after the extra point, it was knotted up 16-16 heading into overtime.

"No doubt in my mind I wanted to win," said Matthew Oder after being questioned about whether to go for the win or the tie, "But the sensible thing to do was to go for the sure thing - we had momentum on our side."

Momentum was needed at the start of overtime as Caleb White's three passes were all deflected. The Wildcats settled for a 35-yard field goal from sophomore kicker, Travis Massey.

Wildcats led 19-16.

On the very first down for the Tulane offense, Vernon Schneider found his running back Leslie Anderson for a quick hitch on the weakside, who then raced down the sidelines to the 10-yard line.

After a couple of 'goin no where' plays, the Green Wave found themselves at 3rd & Goal.

The Wildcat defense called a dime cover 2 package - with free safety Michael Landrum standing right behind the linebackers to be the cutoff in stopping Tulane's top receiver, Kevin Tanner, who had 6 receptions for 79 yards already.

That is why there was an absolute sense of hearts in throats when the junior WR Montrell Marsh came down with the ball in the corner of the endzone behind freshman CB Bruce Williams.

"It was simply the best feeling I've ever had in a football game," said Marsh after the game, "You want to be the hero all game long - but when you don't get a play on the ball, you start to lose faith. Then something magical happens and you become a god for 10 seconds."

Matthew Oder will have to start thinking about what to do from here considering he has not won a game since Appalachian State in week one.

"This was a win in my book. I know the guys don't see it that way yet, but when we start to get rolling - they'll remember how hard they fought today. We have a good group of people in Lexington that follow these guys - they understand the difference between losing and losing good."

An unbelieveable display showed heartache for Caleb White and the Wildcats when Tulane wide-out Montrell Marsh caught the game winner in overtime.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

"The end of the streak"
Matthew Oder says the losing streak stops in Columbia

October 9, 2009

The Kentucky football program is starting to get tired of the losing this season, but no one can be more sick than the head coach, Matthew Oder. After taking over the team, Oder has notched only one victory (Appalachian State) and suffered five consecutive losses.

"It's that time to start changing things up," says Oder, "I'm tired of giving the same speech - the same pregame comment, just tired. Today is the end of the losing streak."

The 1-5 Wildcats come into Columbia fresh off a overtime loss at the hands of Tulane last weekend, and will be looking to senior quarterback, Nathan Wyatt (back from injury) to regain some much needed composure in the offense.

The Kentucky offense has only sputtered 11.8 points a game, with a lousy total offense of 255 yards - the majority of the yards have come from the passing (240), virtually zero from the running game - which in regards to personnel has been switched one last time.

"Wallace Green is going to be the starter for the rest of the season," stated Oder, "Nick (Calhoun) is much better suited at his original receiver position."

Calhoun has only achieved 62 yards on the ground on 32 attempts (1.9 average), with no touchdowns.

"It is by far our weakest position. I have to keep it simple here, Green is a running back - that's why he was recruited. We do not have the depth I would like, but that's what the off season is for."

With Wallace Green starting at the tailback spot, it moves Nick Calhoun back to the wide-receiver number one spot and shifts Keenan Gore and Garret McCray to battle for the second spot.

As far as the Gamecocks are concerned, Steve Spurrier's offense is one that is not exactly shining the way they should be, but the defense has done its job fairly well.

"At the moment, I would say we are a fairly 'fresh' team," says Spurrier, "We do not lack the ability to finish games off, what we lack is raw talent - I have the positions nailed down, it's just a matter of getting these guys to think like football players. We just need a killer of a game to really bump up the intensity."

Led by QB-1 Earnest Jones, the Gamecocks also have a dual threat in freshmen running backs Shaud Quinn and Cody Jenkins. Similar to what the Wildcats expected to see against Tulane last week, but the difference is Spurrier is known to actually use the two-back system this year consistently.

"I used to think you had to tailor every game to every team. What I have realized now is that you can go out with a basic template - default if you will - and win football games."

Kentucky's Matthew Oder has not used the same mindset per se, but has thought about how Spurrier would manage a two-back system if all he had left was a fast wide-out and average running back.

"I think he'd put the wide receiver as a quarterback...and design different option plays all day."

The season isn't that young anymore, but Oder can dream.

"Maybe we should run the veer."

Good Luck, Cats.

Southeastern Conference Standings

1. Georgia (6-0, 3-0)
2. Tennessee (5-1, 3-0)
3. Alabama (4-1, 2-1)
4. Florida (4-2, 2-1)
5. LSU (3-3, 2-1)
6. Auburn (4-3, 1-1)
7. Ole Miss (2-4, 1-1)
8. Vanderbilt (2-4, 1-2)
9. Arkansas (3-2, 0-1)
10. Miss. State (3-3, 0-2)
11. Kentucky (1-5, 0-2)
12. S.Carolina (2-3, 0-3)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Tulane...srsly?

needless to say im following

@AdamdotH
Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

Kentucky 9, South Carolina 30
Wildcats no match for Spurrier's offense, still winless in conference

Cody Jenkins spins out of Farmer's tackle on his way for the score, while Nate Wyatt found a wide open Corey Hollins in the endzone.

>>> QB Wyatt (UK) - 13/26, 206 yds, TD, INT, TE Hollins - 5 rec, 76 yds, TD
>>> QB Frank (SC) - 10/17, 163 yds, 3 TD, RB Jenkins - 15 rush, 139 yds, TD

Columbia, SC (Kentuckysports.com) -- Kentucky head coach, Matthew Oder, suffered another victory today - this time against a resurgent South Carolina side led by head coach Steve Spurrier.

The name of the game was not only turnovers, but lack of offensive execution. It didn't help the fact that the Wildcats suffered once more on the ground, despite Wallace Green achieving a 3.0 average per carry.

"We will chalk it up to nerves in this one," states Oder, "We have a young team, and they are learning things the hard way - if that's how it has to be - then so be it. I can't play on the field with them, all I can do is facilitate towards a victory."

Offensively, the Wildcats dominated in the passing department with 309-yards. Coach Oder elected to start Caleb White in the first half, but after the red shirt sophomore struggled with throwing two interceptions - Oder subbed in injury recovered Nate Wyatt in the second half.

"It was strategy more than anything. Caleb showed some good play, but he was becoming predictable - looking for Duke (Calhun) every down. Nate (Wyatt) was feeling good and so I went with my gut - he threw a touchdown pass and led the team down the field a couple of times - I think we're fine in the QB department."

Spurrier and the Gamecocks might have some burden in their QB department due to the fact Tyson Frank was knocked out for 3 weeks with a concussion. Before all that, the senior had thrown for just over 160-yards and 3 touchdowns.
"Losing a player like Tyson is going to hurt for a bit, but I'm confident in Earnest Jones, he did well today for a couple of snaps there."

Freshman running back for the Gamecocks, Cody Jenkins, took over the game in his own way, rushing the football.
Jenkins ran for just 139-yards, averaging 9.2 yards a carry, and scored a touchdown. The gameplan for Matthew Oder was to keep Jenkins under 100-yards, but the speedy back was too elusive for the entire Kentucky defense.

Another loss, and questions are starting to arise how long Matthew Oder and staff have until the University of Kentucky pull the plug on the young head coach's stint.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 13

wow, talk about a streak

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »