Home

A wing and a prayer (an HC09 Falcons Dynasty)

This is a discussion on A wing and a prayer (an HC09 Falcons Dynasty) within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: A wing and a prayer (an HC09 Falcons Dynasty)

damn, sucks about all those close losses. I guess the only thing u can do now is to make the owner as happy as possible so u won't get fired for not making your promise.
2. Cardinals #2
3. Jets.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think I'll be ok. This season is already better than last season, with 3 games still go go. I definatly won't make the promise, but my owner didnt' want to fire most of the other coaches who failed badly last season. Also, the game doesn't list me as being "on the hot seat" anymore.

I think one or two new position coaches, and a few key position pickups in the draft, should be all that we need to get a winning season next year, perhaps even that shot at the playoffs that I've been after for two years now.

We've proven the "any given sunday" rule in the games against the buccs (and to a lesser extent, the pats), so once we actually get these guys in the playoffs, anything can happen.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #59
Pro

edward_1385's Arena

OVR: 12

Sorry, been away from the dynasty forum for a little while, I am trying to get caught back up, so...

First off, looks like Jack English is starting to progress very nicley for u... Secondly being 5-8 right now in ur second year isn't that bad, u have been able to stay with most of the teams, minus the eagles and cowboys, but overall like u said next year u will be looking for ur first Super Bowl victory of this career... The last game against the Packers, don't feel bad because in my third year in my last dynasty which was the English path Me with Woodson (93/94 overall, max stats except five points left in awarness) and the Lions with rookie of the year Darius Pryor each threw, me 5 ints and him 6 ints, neither had any touchdowns and we lost 9-6 to Rex Ryan and his Lions in the conference champioship game...

Btw, Roddy White is a very good player in real life, but what he and Norwood are asking from u to be 3rd stringers, I would let them go also... Abraham and Trey Lewis are very injury prone players and I am amazed the Abraham has lasted as long as he has... Try to either trade them or cut them asap, but make sure u don't take a huge cap pentaly hit though...
Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #60
Rookie

Week 15 at Tampa Bay
Injured:
RE J. Abraham (2 weeks. Still.)

Dane and company plow down the field to score a touchdown for Tampa on the first drive. Not a good way to start the game. 0-7 Tampa. Offensive pass interference (I don’t even know what that is!) means we give back to them so they can score another TD. So much for a hopeful repeat of a few weeks ago. Not going to happen at this rate. Quarter ends 0-14 Tampa.

We stall at the 20something and get a FG, 3-14. Still not impressive, especially after another TD by Tampa. 3-21. Dane gets it into the endzone AFTER time runs out, just to add insult. Come on now, ENGLISH is supposed to be the clutch QB. Bah. It’s 3-28 and I don’t think this is a hole we can dig out of, I don’t care how good we are in the 2nd half. I'm not really disappointed with English, but this really makes me wonder if I should have traded down and picked Dane and gotten a few picks to go along with it. Oh well, what's done is done.

We start off the 3rd by dieing at our own 45 yardline, but their punt returner fumbles and 3 plays later McFadden is in the endzone. Sweet. 10-28. Short lived jubilation though, because it’s Tampa in the endzone again to make it 10-35. English throws a rare interception, and Tampa is back in the endzone again. 10-41. This must be the OTHER Tampa team, because this can’t be the same team we beat a few weeks ago.

We start off the 4th quarter by having DeSean Jackson hurt himself, he’s out of the game. Fantastic. We get downfield into the endzone to make it 17-42, but I kinda think that’s not going to matter much. Our D stops Tampa for, I believe, the first time this game, and English leads us to another TD. 24-42. We're coming back! If only this game had 5 or 6 quarters instead of 4, we might have a chance. Only 3:31 on the clock. Tampa makes a FG, and we turn it over on downs, and that’s more or less the game. Tampa gives it back to us, but English throws another interception to allow Tampa to run out the clock. 24-45 Buccs.

See, that’s the game we’re supposed to have against the league’s leader.

BAD game for English. 66.9 rating with 2 TD, 2 Int, and 227 yards.

McFadden Rushed for 55 yards and one TD. Nobody else ran for anything of note.

Jackson pulled 84 yards receiving, which is impressive considering he didn’t play the entire 4th quarter.

Approval is down to 58.

Only good news is that Jackson’s injury isn’t major. He’ll be back for next week.

Dane Morrow, who I did NOT pick in the draft, Won O Player of the Week for his decimation of my team, with 368 yards and 3 TD.

I’m still planning on releasing Norwood, but I took a second look at my team, our future, and the salary cap, and I decided to sign WR Roddy White. 6 years, 17.42 Million, 3.5M Signing bonus, and Million dollar incentives for 1000 yards and 10 TDs. Either of which he may be getting. He’s expensive, but I’ve had a change of heart on him.

Standings going in to week, um, whatever, are:
1 Buccaneers 12-2
25 Falcons 5-9
27 Saints 5-9
32 Panthers 1-13

Hey, the Panthers beat somebody!

I decided to try the last two weeks of this season as a West Coast Offense. The season is pretty much over, so I'm curious how we perform with a different Offensive strategy (although the same playbook). We’ll see how it goes.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:35 AM   #61
Rookie

Week 16 at Buffalo

Buffalo gives the ball to us after going nowhere, and we have STRONG drive getting to the endzone in 4 plays between English and McFadden. That’s all the action in the 1st, which ends 7-0.

Buffalo starts the 2nd by missing a FG, and we make one, putting it 10-0. Buffalo makes it into the endzone on their next drive, and an interception gives them a chance to do it again, which they do. Half ends 10-14.

Another Serna FG makes it 13-14, we’re down by 1. Buffalo fails at making a single yard, and we fail at redzone attempts AGAIN, making it 16-14. Buffalo gives up an interception at the end of the quarter.

Laron James starts out the 4th with a TD. Finally. 23-14 Atlanta. Buffalo responds with a massive Play… er I mean a massive Atlanta penalty, that moves them half the field. *sigh*. TD Bills makes it 23-21 with 5:19 to go. Our strawman TE J. Finely hurts himself because he doesn’t feel like playing the last 2:18 of the game. We run the ball so much that both McFadden and James tire out, and Norwood has to get a few carries. Hilarious. What isn’t hilarious, is that we fail in the redzone again. Another Serna FG makes it 26-21, and we’re in danger. Buffalo has 58 seconds left, and I’m sure you all know what the computer does in crunch time… sure enough, they plow downfield at record pace, and it’s only a fumble that helps run the clock out in time. They were CLOSE.

English has an 87.1 rating, with 1 TD, 1 Int, and 170 yards.

McFadden and James were twin threats with 98 yards and 104 yards respectively. Norwood got 2 yards so he feels like he’s done something this season. Sorry, you’re still not getting 3 million next year.

No particular receiver stood out.

A well deserved win (even with all the redzone fail) puts my approval up to 63.

Standings havn’t changed.
1 Buccaneers 13-2
23 Falcons 6-9
27 Saints 5-10
32 Panthers 1-14

Amusingly enough, we’ve got the panthers for our final game of the season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #62
Rookie

Week 17 vs Carolina

The Panthers manage 8 yards on their initial possession, and we happily take the punt and a few plays later the TD. 7-0 Atlanta. Carolina punts again. Yeah, that’s the quarter.

We open up the 2nd with a FG. 10-0 Atlanta. Panthers punt. Again. We don’t have a lot of trouble getting downfield en route to a LaRon James TD. 17-0 Falcons. The rest of the half is a couple punts.

We again have our leisurely stroll downfield but English throws an int on their 1 yd line!! We get a safety, and the ball is back in our hands. 19-0. That score just looks odd. Laron James single-handedly rushes down the field for like 6 or 7 plays in a row until he finally forces his way into the Carolina Endzone. 26-0 Falcons.

4th quarter and the Panthers offense finally shows some life. They make it downfield for a TD. 26-7 Atlanta. McFadden must be tired because out of the next 8 plays, LaRon does 6 of them, but it’s Darren who gets into the endzone for another Atlanta TD. 33-7. Carolina punts. J Norwood has his time to shine as LaRon and Darren both figure it’s time to take a break. The demoralized Panthers D let even our 3rd string HB run all over them (literally and figuratively), and Norwood gets his first TD of the season I believe. 40-7 Falcons. Carolina punts. We run up up the field for ****s and giggles, but the game ends before we can score again (and we would have).

English has a lackluster game with 77.8 rating, 1 TD, 1 Int, and 140 yards.

Our rushing game is the best I've ever seen from any of my teams, as James gets 151 yards(!), McFadden gets 118, Norwood gets 71, and even Jack English got 6!

Receiving is the usual hodge-podge. 8 different people caught the ball.

We had 486 total Offensive yards. I havn’t seen anything like that since I stopped playing my Steelers franchise. Even more impressive (to me anyway) is the 346 Rushing Yards. Wow.

I’m having second thoughts on Norwood, after his performance today. I need to check the draft and see if there are any HB sleepers before I acquiesce to his demands.

Amazingly, everybody cares that we beat the Panthers, and my approval is up to 75!?
What the hell?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #63
Rookie

McFadden makes a well deserved Pro Bowl spot, as does LT Sam Baker, and FS E. Wilson. The rest of the NFC pro bowl team is the Buccs (with 13 players!) and a couple other guys. Yes, Dane Morrow made it, and Jack English did not. You just wait Dane, give Jack another year or two and a few more key supporting positions!

We finish the season 7-9, two games off from my pre-season promise to the owner, but a damn sight better than last year. No Wildcard spot of course. I did get a bump up from my owner for finishing the season with an approval rating above 65. That actually bumped me up to an approval rating of 80, another number not seen since the Steelers days!

I took a final hard look at Norwood. Despite his impressive performance in the last game, his 84 pot and 80 ovl just don’t warrant the money he wants. I can draft someone nearly as good for 1/10th the price or less.

Season ends with Standings as follows:
1 Buccaneers 14-2
23 Falcons 7-9
25 Saints 6-10
32 Panthers 1-15

Dane won Rookie of the Year. Bah.

I fired my QBC, and wanted to hire Jeff Looman, but I couldn’t convince him that working with Jack English was more exciting than whoever the Dolphins have, so I picked up Brian Daboll, who is nothing special.

The Colts beat the Raiders 30-15 for the AFC Championship, and the Buccs beat the Giants 24-3 to take the NFC championship. It’s new school vs old school in Morrow vs Payton. My money is on Morrow.

Nope, Colts over Buccs 34-31. That was probably a good game.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 AM   #64
Rookie

Great season! I look forrward to eharing about your playoff march next year. Early prediction in 12-4 and you get to atleast the Conference Championship. So what are you going to focus on in free agency and the draft?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »