Home

Flying back to Glory - An Atlanta Falcons Dynasty

This is a discussion on Flying back to Glory - An Atlanta Falcons Dynasty within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Flying back to Glory - An Atlanta Falcons Dynasty

And so Coach Carter returns this time taking on the Atlanta Falcons. Some things before I start.

1 - After using the 335 to absolutely destroy teams and have a MLB who sacked the QB more than anything else I have decided to go for something completely different - COVER 2. How will my penchant for blitzes do when my defense is primarily built as quicking moving cover units.

2 - After wanting a pass first offence from the Bronco's playbook which eventually descended into a Casey Barone run fest I have decided to go for a more dedicated passing game. This time I intend to use a west coast playbook.

3 - Motivator skill, yes it can make the game easier at times but if you want to get the skills that make your coaches better you need to take this. Therefore, I will be allowing myself to take it.

So onto the main attraction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Flying back to Glory - An Atlanta Falcons Dynasty

The Atlanta Falcons were today surprised when former Iowa defensive co-ordinator DeMetrius Carter was named as the new head coach. Many people inside the Falcons organisation were sure that Mike Smith would be announced as the new head coach, but the Falcons owner pointed out that Carter's unique personailty and also his vision for what the Falcons would be in the future clinched the position

Name: DeMetrius Carter
Personality: Commander
Overall: 14
Skills: Performance - 5
DB Intangibles - 3
LB Intangibles - 3
DL Intangibles - 3
Offensive Playbook: Gruden West Coast
Defensive Playbook: Tampa 2
Start Date: Off-Season

Up next team Philosophies
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Rookie

On all of the Coach hiring ones I put all of them on "Give up no control".
On all of the trade ones I put them on "Neutral" and Trading Philosophy on passive.
Draft: Draft Biggest Team Needs
Workouts Scouting: Scout Biggest Team Needs
Reg. Season Scouting: Team Needs Focus
Counter Offer: Cheap
Franchise Tag: Normal
GM Salary Cap: Prefers 1MIL in Cap Room
GM Re-Sign: Re-sign Based On Talent
GM RFA: Normal
GM Spending: Distribute evenly
General Negotiation: Low Ball
QB: Pure Passer
HB: Balanced
FB: Ball Carrier
WR: Tall/Redzone Threat
TE: Soft Hands/Route
Guard: Pass Block
Center: Pass Block
Tackle: Pass Block
DT: One Gap
DE: Undersized
OLB: Cover 2
MLB: Coverage
CB: Cover 2
FS: Centrefielder
SS: Big Hitter
K/P: Balanced
Team Building: Build Through NFL Draft
Blitz: Light
Pass Coverage: Cover 2
Defensive Playbook Control: Head Coach
Defensive Scheme: 4-3
Offensive Playbook Control: Offensive Co-ordinator
Offensive Scheme: West Coast Heavy Pass
Start Rookie QB: Balanced
Start Rookie HB: Prefers to
Injury Playing Status: Aggressive

Last edited by cabowers; 03-16-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
Rookie

Roster Overview

QB - Only Chris Redman on the roster and his contract is up, Will definitely need to pick a veteran up on a trade or through free agency with a rookie being drafted later.

RB - Jerious Norwood is a decent back but I may also look at picking someon up in free agency. Jason Snelling will be kept as 3rd string unless I decide to pick up a late round draft pick.

FB - Ovie Mughelli is on a huge contract which isn't eatable at the moment.

WR - Roddy White will be a decent receiver but lacks the real height I am looking for. Joe Horn is a veteran with solid if not spectacular skills. Laurent Robinson, Brian Finneran and Michael Jenkins all have the height I am looking for but don't have the skills to go along with them. Adam Jennings is too small and not good enough. I will need to look to improve in this area through the draft.

TE - Martrez Miller is around for another 3 years and is little more than a backup, no one else on the roster. May look for a trade due to the slow development of tight ends.

LT - Quinn Ojinnaka is very poor. This is definitely an area that I will need to improve. Hopfully the Dolphins may let Jake Long slip past them or I can trade down and be in a position to grab Clady. I may also go looking for a trade, maybe Joe Staley from the 49ers if he is available cheap enough.

LG - Justin Blalock is a very decent guard who if needs must may slide across to LT but hopefully it wont come to that.

C - No one of note here. Ben Wilkerson, Doug Datish and Todd McClure are all reserves acting as starters.

RG - Kyan Forney and D'Anthony Batiste are poor imitations of RG's and this is another area that I will need to look at strengthening.

RT - Todd Weiner may be able to pass as a starter for the time being until I am able to get someone better. Patrick McCoy is a decent if not spectacular backup.

LE - Jamall Anderson is a bit too big to be an undersized speed rusher and may move to DT. Derrick Jones just isn't good enough. Another big need.

RE - John Abraham will provide some quality on one end with no one else on the roster, a RE may be drafted and moved to LE.

DT - After moving him across Jamaal Anderson is the best DT on the roster. Jonathan Babineaux, Montavious Stanley and Trey Lewis are likely to be kept around as there are likely to be more pressing needs.

LOLB - Michael Boley is a RFA and likely to be tendered at 1st round level although I wouldn't be against sending him somewhere else.

MLB - Keith Brooking maybe 30 but he is the best the Falcons have at MLB. With a new defensive playbook coming in, Brooking will at least provide some veteran leadership in the middle.

ROLB - Demorrio Williams is an adequate player shame. Look for him to get tagged and then used as trade bait possibly.

CB - Oh. Dear. God. 2 CB's who's average rating is 57. This area needs an immediate upgrade. Free agency and draft need.

FS - The secondary doesn't get any better. Kimmy Williams may be able to manage for now, but I have a feeling this is going to be a very long season for the Falcons defence.

SS - Lawyer Milloy is the current starter but once again very little talent may mean the Falcons lean on their new offence this year.

K - Morten Andersen is out of contract and look for a younger model to be brought in.

P - Michael Koenen's deal is also up so a free agent may be needed.

Draft Picks
1st round - 3
2nd round - 34, 37 + 38
3rd round - 68
4th round - 100
5th round - 131
6th round - 166
7th round - 197 + 217

Cap Room - $66M - able to make some moves

Immediate needs
QB - Need a veteran as my high draft picks are likely to be used on defence or OLine. Will require a trade

HB - backup runner or someone to start ahead of Norwood. May look at burner Turner as a starter if he is available for the right price otherwise Shaun Alexander as a capable backup.

WR - Definitely needs some kind of upgrade, couple of young receivers in draft. Best of FA is Randy Moss who will be tagged and DJ Hackett could be a useful stop gap.

TE - Alge Crumpler is likely to not demand crazy money same with LJ Smith and both would be an upgrade.

LT - All FAs are the wrong side of 30 so is a draft need.

LG - Jacob Bell the LG from the Titans may be an idea with Blalock then able to move to tackle. The top players are likely to demand too much especially as I have more pressing needs.

C - Justin Hartwig is likely to not ask for crazy amounts. Faine would anchor my line and if he isn't asking for crazy amounts may be brought in instead.

RG - Ben Noll is the best available but money maybe an issue.

RT - Jordan Gross is the lineman available and is the right side of 30. I will need to take a serious run at him.

LE - No one really stands out so draft need

RE - Sorted with Abraham

DT - Will be a draft need as even Haynesworth isn't worth the sort of money he will ask for if available

LOLB - Boley is the best rated player so is definitely going to be tendered

MLB - Brooking is a stop gap for a couple of years until I find my starter of the future. Not a need

ROLB - 4 decent starters available if there teams don't tag them, Williams will be tagged but may be moved if I draft my number 1 target

CB - Definite need. Asomugha, Samuel, Trufant, Gay will all be improvements over my current bunch. Will look to bring at least one of them in, possibly 2 if the money is right. Rookies will need to be drafted as well.

FS - Eugene Wilson, Ken Hamlin will both be an instant upgrade over Williams but once again the money is going to be difficult to manage as I have so many holes.

SS - The better safties are all the wrong side of 30. Draft need.

K/P - 4 kickers all with an OVR over 85 are available, Mitch Berger and Matt Turk are the best of the available punters. May also look at drafting a kicker.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Rookie

Season Goals
QB, TE + ROLB - all over 85 OVR

Restricted Free Agent Tenders
Michael Boley - Given a Level 3 Tender (1st round) - signed

Free Agency
CB Nnamdi Asomugha signed a 5 year deal worth $42M with $8M as a signing bonus.
FS Eugene Wilson signed a 5 year deal worth $24M with $3.5M as a signing bonus
C Jeff Faine signed a 3 year deal worth $14M with $2M as a signing bonus
Trades
LT Joe Staley taken from the 49ers in exchange for Wr Michael Jenkins, the 100th
pick and a 2nd round pick next year.
QB Jeff Garcia taken from the Buccanners in exchange for the 68th pick and a 3rd round pick next year.

Draft Targets
1st round - As I now have a starting LT and a starting QB (if only for a couple of years), I can look elsewhere. DT is a definte must and Glenn Dorsey is a very good prospect. I may however decide to go with Keith Rivers as the ROLB is a must as well. Another option is to trade down for some late round 1st round picks or maybe an extra one next year.

2nd round - I need a LE and will look at Calais Campbell to bring an explosive presence from the edge. My other 2nd round picks are likely to be a couple of corners (Patrick Lee or Brandon Flowers)

3rd round - Only one pick here and as I don't have any fourth round picks, I will have to choose between a QB now or a WR and hope one of my QBs is still available in the 5th. If I go QB I'll take Johnson, if I go WR it'll be Early Doucet.

5th round - Would love to have Craig Steltz available here but I doubt he'll be available. RT DeMetrius Bell could be an option as could WR Kevin Robinson if I decide to go QB in round 3.

6th round - K Alexis Serna will be brought in.

7th round - RE Tony Bake and RE Eric Baker may be picked up otherwise look for Xavier Omon or Jamaal Buckingham.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Rookie

Draft Day

Round 1

3rd pick - Traded to Seattle in exchange for the 25th and 55th pick as well as a 1st round pick next year.
25th pick - Traded to the Eagles in exchage for the 57th and 80th picks

Round 2

34th pick - sent to the Saints in exchange for the 78th picks and a 2nd round pick next year.
37th pick - RE Calais Campbell (Miami)
38th pick - CB Patrick Lee (Auburn)
55th pick - QB Josh Johnson (San Diego)
57th pick - sent to the Chiefs in exchange for the 66th and 224th picks

Round 3

66th pick - DT Dre Moore (Maryland)
78th pick - WR Early Doucet (LSU)
80th pick - SS Craig Steltz (LSU)

Round 5

131st pick - sent to the Broncos in exchange for the 143rd and 205th picks.
143rd pick - RT DeMetrius Bell (Northwestern State)

Round 6

166th pick - K Alexis Serna (Oregan State)

Round 7

197th pick - HB Xavier Omon (NW Missouri State)
205th pick - ROLB David Vobora (Idaho)
217th pick - LE Tony Bake (TCU)
224th pick - ROLB Geno Hayes (Florida State) - GM Pick

Post-Draft thoughts
Well I picked up a backup QB to sit and learn from Garcia for a year or 2. A backup HB as well as somebody to start opposite Roddy White in the form of Doucet. The offensive drafting was completed with Demetrius Bell who will battle to start at RT.

On defence, our left LE got an upgrade with Calais Campbell, while Tony Bake will provide some adequate backup at both end positions. Dre Moore will be my starting DT but will have to carry the workload of 2. My secondary got an upgrade with Patrick Lee and Craig Steltz.

Maybe it was a mistake not taking Keith Rivers or Glenn Dorsey at number 3 but this way I was able to get several servicable starters for a few years while I continue to use the draft to improve. I have 2 first round picks next year as well as my standard 2-7 except for the 3rd round.

Overall I'm quite happy missed out on a couple of players (Andrew Crummey, Anthya Rubin, Beau bell) but still a decent couple of days work.

Undrafted Rookies
HB Jamaal Buckingham (Bloomsburg)
TE Mike Peterson (North West Missouri State)
LG David Hale (Weber State)
DT Hank Smithers (Texas A&M)
FB Carl Stewart (Auburn)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Rookie

Rookie Signings

Name - Salary/Years/Bonus
Calais Campbell - $3.17M/4/$0.5M
Patrick Lee - $4.6M/4/$0.5M
Josh Johnson - $2.44/4$0.5M
Early Doucet - $1.67M/3/0
Craig Steltz - $1.99M/3/0
DeMetrius Bell - $0.79M/3/0
Alexis Serna - $0.7M/3/0
Xavier Omon - $0.83M/3/0
David Vorbora - $0.81M/2/0
Tony Bake - $0.78M/3/0
Geno Hayes - $0.8M/2/0
Dre Moore - $1.92M/3/0
Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Rookie

Roster
Name Position OVR POT Notes
Jeff Garcia QB 82 82 Starter
Josh Johnson QB 69 93 Backup
J.T. O'Sullivan QB 67 67 3rd String
Jerious Norwood HB 81 89 Starter
Xavier Omon HB 65 88 Backup
Jamaal Buckingham HB 66 87 Backup
Carl Stewart FB 77 81 Starter
Roddy White WR 84 88 Starter
Joe Horn WR 79 80 Starter
Early Doucet WR 80 90 Slot
Laurent Robinson WR 75 83 4th
Brian Finneran WR 69 69 Backup
Micahel Jennings WR 62 68 Backup
Mike Peterson TE 64 86 Starter
Martrez Milner TE 65 74 Backup
Tim Euhus TE 57 57 3rd string
Joe Staley LT 85 93 Starter
Qunii Ojinnaka LT 74 75 Backup
Justin Blalock LG 84 89 Starter
David Hale LG 70 87 Backup
Jeff Faine C 87 89 Starter
Ben Wilkerson C 75 77 Backup
DeMetrius Bell RG 66 88 Starter
Joe Berger RG 74 79 Backup
Todd Weiner RT 82 82 Starter
Kynan Forney RT 74 74 Backup
Calais Capmbell LE 86 92 Starter
Derrick Jones LE 70 72 Backup
John Abraham RE 85 85 Starter
Tony Bake RE 82 88 Backup
Dre Moore DT 82 87 Starter
Jamaal Anderson DT 77 82 Starter
Jonathan Babineaux DT 77 79 Backup
Hank Smithers DT 62 67 Backup
Michael Boley LOLB 83 86 Starter
Stephen Nicholas LOLB 71 76 Backup
Keith Brooking MLB 89 89 Starter
Antoine Cash MLB 68 70 Backup
Ron Brackins MLB 67 75 Backup
David Vobora ROLB 67 84 Starter
JB Sullivan ROLB 67 77 Backup
Nnamdi Asomougha CB 87 89 Starter
Patrick Lee CB 70 86 Starter/KR
Chris Houston CB 68 77 Nickle
Lewis Sanders CB 59 59 Dime
AJ Davis CB 54 62 Backup
Eugene Wilson FS 89 89 Starter
Jimmy Williams FS 71 78 Backup
Craig Steltz SS 82 85 Starter
Lawyer Milloy SS 78 79 Backup
Alexis Serna K 83 92 Starter
Chirs Hanson P 81 81 Starter

Yes I am aware it is only 52 players but want to keep an open roster spot so I can still trade for players.

Draft Path
Maceo Sweetney

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »