Home

The New Arrowhead

This is a discussion on The New Arrowhead within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
The New Arrowhead

5/1/2009

The Kansas City Chiefs have fired Head Coach Herm Edwards today after a disappointing 7-9 season. Owner Thomas Koop had high hopes for the team this year, but even with a large number of draft picks, Edwards couldn't get the job done. Koop said in a press conference earlier today he is looking for a Head Coach that can change the culture of the locker room.

A number of coaches have interviewed for the vacant coaching position such as former Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, former Lions coach Rod Marnelli, former Jets coach Eric Mangini, former Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, former Redskins coach Jim Zorn and 49'ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

However it was announced today that the KC Chiefs organisation has decided to go in another direction and hire form USC Head Coach Heath Thomas. Thomas is coming off an undefeated season at USC, with 2 of his star players finishing in the top 5 for the Heisman.

Thomas started his career in New York under the tutelage of Charlie Weis (then offensive coordinator) and was the teams QB coach for the 1998 Jets. Thomas then followed Weis over to New England to be the quarterbacks coach until 2004, where Thomas went with Weis to be the Offensive Coordinator Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and in 2006 Thomas became the Head Coach of the USC Trojans.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I will be giving myself a couple of handicaps for this dynasty. 1 I will be trying to develop Matt Cassel as my franchise Quarterback (and i have the 2nd overall pick in the zazzali draft lol)

I will also only allow myself to bring in a maximum of 2 free agents of 85+ overall hope you guys enjoy, and feel free to share your oppinions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: The New Arrowhead

Chiefs Coaching Staff:

OC: Clyde Christensen

This year will be his first season as offensive coordinator in the NFL. Clyde has been most succeful as the WR coach for the Colts, where has has produced pro bowl WR's such as Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison and Anthony Gonzalez. Christensen will help develop the young receivers in KC such as Avery and Bowe.

DC - Pepper Johnson

Johnson the former defensive line coach for the New England Patriots, is quite farmiliar with coach Heath Thomas, from when they were in New York and New England together. Pepper helped coach the patriots D-line since 2000 and is quite familiar with the 3-4 scheme that Thomas would like to run in KC. Pepper has produced pro bowl players such as Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork and Richard Richard Seymour.

STC - Chris Staymays

Chris comes from Florida state, and this is his first coaching job in the NFL. Staymays has alot of work ahead of him, as the Chiefs has one of the worst special teams in the league.

QBC - Dick Curl

Curl of of few coaches kept from the Herm Edwards staff. Dick has been known as Father time for his work in clock management, and hopefully he can help develop QB's Matt Cassel and Brodie Croyle into the new offence.

RBC - Tom Rathman

The former 49'ers FB Tom Rathman, joins the team to help the backfield of Larry Johnson, Jammal Charles and Carl Stewart. Rathman also served as the RBC for the Raiders last season, and should help provide some advantage this year.

WRC - Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson the former WR coach for the Ravens comes to the Chiefs to help develop the young recieving corps, in Donnie Avery, Dwayne Bowe, Leonard Pope.

OLC - Bob Bicknell

Bob also from the Herm Edwards coaching staff. The line didn't do such a great job last season, but alot of that came from inexperience, and injuries.

LBC - Mike Zimmer

The Former Defensive Coordinator for the Bengals, has quite a bit of experience in the league, and will greatly help the young linebackers in derrick johnson, Beau Bell, Jeremy Leman, Tamba Hali

DLC - Tim Crummie

Another coach of the Herm Edwards Staff, the former NT himself, can help, this very young defensive line, the defence struggled against the run last year, but with a year under their belts, the line should improve, and Crummie also helped Calais Campbell reach the pro bowl in his rookie year.

DBC - David Gibbs

Another coach from the Edwards staff. Gibbs did an outstanding job with the secondary last season ranking 4th in the league in interceptions, also helping S Gibril Wilson, S Jarrod Page, and rookie CB Brandon Flowers reach the pro bowl.

GM - Karl Potts
Trainer - Aaron Lee

Playbooks:

Offence - Custom (pretty much what i've seen Weis use this year plus stuff from the 2004 pb/ND)

Defence - A Modified Browns Rush Passer (wanted Crennel as DC) just added some more 3-4 man cover/blitz plays
Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Rookie

Q&A With Heath Thomas

Q: What do you think of the Quarterback situation, after it seems both quarterbacks seemed to struggle last season?

THOMAS: Well my number 1 goal for this season is to fix the quarterback, from what I have seen on film, Matt(Cassel) has shown alot of potential, but it all starts with little things such as his footwork in the pocket. Matt knows a fair bit of the offence already (from New England) so it will be something hes familiar with, but i do believe Matt can be an elite player in this league.

As for Brodie, hes still young, and getting used to the NFL, i mean the kid has a massive arm no doubt about it, but hes still learning how to make the right reads, and it will come in time. Its a big thing that young QB's need to learn, its that you don't need to be a hero and make every play, if its not there just check it down or throw it away.

Q: How do you feel the offence will go moving to your scheme?

THOMAS: It should be fine, i mean Chan(Gaily) ran a similar system of offence to what I do, but this is still a young team, and they should be fine grasping the offence.

Q: On the defensive side of the ball, how do you feel the defence will perform in the 3-4 defence

THOMAS: Well to be honest, I pay lip service to the defence (laughs) it should be fine, its a young, veritile team, and Pepper does a great job breaking down the defence and making it easy to understand, but he would have a better idea then I would (laughs)

Q: With Free Agency and the Draft coming up, is there anything your paying particular attention to?

THOMAS: Well now the coaching staff is in place, we are all getting together and looking at what we have now, I've never been the biggest fan of free agency, I'm a fan of drafting guys, bringing them up in your system, and moulding them. You get some vets that come in and they can have bad habbits, and technique, thats fine where they came from but its harder to coach a verteran things like that, but so far we are happy with the talent we have.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Rookie

Mock Draft
Round 1
1 Bears - Mike Zazzali QB Arizona
2 Chiefs - Morgan Barnes QB USC
3 Falcons - Marquay Traylor T Tennesse
4 49'ers - Lorenzo Spragan DT Florida State
5 Saints - Kendrell Kennison WR USC
6 Panthers - Demario Waddell CB Washington
7 Jets - Adrian Joseph JR HB Maryland
8 Redskins - Corey Bulluck CB Tuskegee
9 Browns - Vernon Caldwell DE Oregan State
10 Bengals - Chase Beck LB Missouri
11 Chiefs - Darius Brady WR Purdue
12 Chiefs - Kwame Frampton TE Texas
13 Dolphins - Chris Essex QB Connecticut
14 Seahawks - Markieff Kent CB Central Ohio State
15 Lions - Gino King LB West Virginia
16 Cowboys - Blake Walton WR Texas Tech
17 Jaguars - Dominique Berlin WR Florida State
18 Texans - Geoff Shaffer T Arkansas
19 Chargers - Syvelle Simpson CB Virginia Tech
20 Vikings - Riley Mears S Notre Dame
21 Bills - Vontay McBee WR Florida
22 Rams - Corey Darey LB Notre Dame
23 Broncos - Jay Nedney DE Nebraska
24 Packers - Jerome Bartell S Notre Dame
25 Steelers - Robert Thornton DE Rutgers
26 Eagles - Vonnie Mendenhall HB Michigan
27 Bills - Jacob Flynn HB Boise State
28 Giants - Tim White DT Wisconson
29 Titans - Tristan Simmons CB Houston
30 Saints - Dontrelle Robinson WR Tennesse
31 Bucks - Leroy Young DT Florida
32 Colts - Justin Forst
Old 12-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Rookie

Q&A With Heath Thomas - The Draft

Q: Are you at all looking at drafting any of your players from SC?

THOMAS: We are going to be drafting whoever gives us the best chance to win, Karl and I are putting together the board and we are going to stick to it.

Q: What do you think of Demario Wadell from Washington?

THOMAS: Well, the kid is a hell of an athlete, defines versitility. As for drafting him can't say. We have our needs as a team, and our secondary is in good form, but I personally havn't been scouting him or alot of the defensive players, you would have to ask Pepper or David about that, I am looking at skilled positions with Clyde.

Q: How does the signing of Veteran Center Casey Weigman help the team?

THOMAS: Casey is a great leader, he can greatly help the young offensive line we have here, but he's also familiar with the team, should give us a veteran leader to anchor our line.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Rookie

THE NFL DRAFT
ROUND1

1 Bears - Mike Zazzali QB Arizona
2 Chiefs (from Raiders) - Demario Wadell CB Washington
3 Falcons - Corey Bulluck CB Tuskegee
4 49'ers - Morgan Barnes QB USC
5 Saints (from Cardinals) - Blake Walton WR Texas Tech
6 Panthers - Marquay Traylor T Tennesse
7 Jets - Vonnie Mendenhall HB Michigan
8 Redskins - TRADE - Lions - Chris Essex QB Connecticut
9 Browns - Vernon Caldwell DE Oregan State
10 Bengals - TRADE - Lions - Markieff Kent CB Central St Ohio
11 Chiefs (from Ravens) - TRADE - Texans - Chase Beck LB Missouri
12 Chiefs - TRADE - Bucks - Lorenzo Spragan DT Florida State
13 Dolphins - Syvelle Simpson CB West Virginia
14 Seahawks - Jacob Flynn HB Boise State
15 Lions - Bengals (from Lions) Jerome Bartell S Notre Dame
16 Cowboys - TRADE - Panthers - Corey Darcy LB Notre Dame
17 Jaguars - Dominique Berlin WR Florida State
18 Texans - Chiefs (from Texans) Kwame Frampton TE Texas
19 Chargers - Kendrell Kennison WR USC
20 Vikings - Darius Brady WR Purdue
21 Bills - Dontrelle Robinson WR Tennesse
22 Rams - Gino King LB West Virginia
23 Broncos - Adrian Joseph JR HB Maryland
24 Packers - Tristan Simmons CB Houston
25 Steelers - Roscoe Lester WR Oklahoma
26 Eagles - Tim White DT Wisconson
27 Bills (from Patriots) - Trumaine Stallings T N.Illinois
28 Giants - Robert Thornton DE Rutgers
29 Titans - Vontay McBee WR Florida
30 Saints - TRADE - Ravens - Jay Nedney DE Nebraska
31 Bucks - Chiefs (from Bucks) TRADE - Ravens - Knowshawn Mincey CB Kansas
32 Colts - Brian Dockery LB Boston Coll.

Last edited by HeathyT; 12-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Rookie

Cheifs are going for playmakers

At the end of the first round of the 2009 NFL draft it seems clear that the theme of the draft for the KC Chiefs is playmakers. With the 2nd pick in the NFL draft the Chiefs selected all pro CB/WR Demario Waddell.

Waddell has great size, hands, speed and coverage ability. This will give Pepper Johnson the ability to be creative on defence. It gives the Chiefs someone to match up against Brandon Marshall and Antonio Gates (who the chiefs struggled to match up against last season)

The Chiefs with the 18th pick selected TE Kwame Frampton the leading receiver this season for Texas. Frampton is a top level TE, seems more of a WR hybrid, much like Dallas Clark expect OC Clyde Christensen to use Frampton to create missmatches especially in the redzone. The only problem with Frampton is he is not a great blocker, but with coaching he could become a great all round TE in the NFL.

Josh Looney KCCheifs.com
Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Rookie

iowa-bronco's Arena

OVR: 3

Looking good. I will follow. I personally hate house rules but whatever works.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »