Home

The Coaching Career of Tony Sparano (HC 09)

This is a discussion on The Coaching Career of Tony Sparano (HC 09) within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
The Coaching Career of Tony Sparano (HC 09)

Starting a new coaching career. My last thread kind of got out of control. Mainly because I didn't put enough restrictions on myself and it was too easy.

For this one, I will be placing more restrictions and hopefully will increase the challenge and realism considerably.

House Rules:

I will be using Pickers Slider Set

I will be using existing coach Tony Sparano of the Dolphins.

I will keep Sparano's playbooks, with modification. The rule for modifying the playbooks is that I can only take a play out if I add a new one. I'm going to play with a base 3-4 defense, which will be new for me, since I very much prefer the 4-3. I will be using custom plays, as I like making new plays. Any play action plays will have to have corresponding run plays. I've never used either playbook (Sparano Balanced and Pasqualini 3-4)

Playcalling- try to not call a play more than twice in a game.

No Fast Playcalling except when behind in the 4th quarter- I want to be able to run a hurryup offense if I'm behind, but otherwise I'll let the accelerated clock do its thing.

No Special Skill purchases for any coaches. If they have them, fine, but no buying new ones.

In regards to coaches, I can only fire coaches for poor performance. So if I have a great season, I can't dump the whole staff. So basically, if the Owner/GM thinks I should keep them, then they stay.

Trainer- I can't hire a trainer with a starting rating above 80. Injuries are a part of the game.

Sparano is a coach, so he'll be in charge of coaching. The Dolphins GM will be in charge of drafting. I can set the draft board, but the GM makes the actual picks and I'll advance to my next pick to allow the GM to trade or not trade as he pleases.

GM has input on training camp cuts, but the Coach has the final call

Salary Cap Penalties- I cannot rack up more $5M in Penalties, so while I can do some manuevering, I can't just dump a ton of guys with bad contracts.

In regards to trades, I can only trade for players other teams have on the trade block. In addition, I'm limited to 5 player trades a year.

The GM controls who gets put on the trade block, I have the right to refuse a trade if offered.

Free Agents- any free agents signed get at least a year on the roster, I have a $10M cap on free agents, and can only sign free agents in auction. Only 1 90+ rated Free Agent per year. I will also be staying away from guys I know (FS Eugene Wilson, OLB Karlos Dansby, and that includes picking up rookies like Roy Schuening who often get cut in training camp.) The exception being rookies who never come up in auction. So no grabbing guys at a $1M before training camp.

I will be starting in the preseason, so the Dolphins will have Jake Long and Phillip Merling, etc.

No English Draft Path and I'll avoid MLB's from VMI, QB's from Georgia Southern when putting my Draft Board together.

Signing Players- Initial offer must be at least half the number of their original proposal. For example, Stud HB wants deal #36, then my first counter offer must be 36/2 or #18 or better. When negotiating, I must go up at least the same amount as they go down. So using our previous example, Stud HB wants package #36, I counter with #18, he drops to #33, since he went down 3, I have to go up at least 3, so I offer #21. He then drops to #32, since he went down 1, I have to go up at least 1 to #22. I think this will produce if not more realistic deals, at least deals that will be a bit more of a monkey wrench to deal with.

Cutting Draftees- If a guy is drafted in the first 4 rounds, he gets at least 1 year before I can cut him. First day picks (1st and 2nd rounders) will get at least 2 years.

Cutting/Resigning Players- Players who win Awards or get selected for the Pro Bowl can't be cut, and won't lose their starting job...basically if a guy is good enough to win a yearly award or be selected for the pro bowl, then he should be starting. Likewise, I will try to resign award winners/pro bowlers regardless of age...If a guy is still making the pro bowl at 35, then he's a guy a team should keep.

And I'm open to hearing from any of you about other House Rules you think will improve the Dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
MVP

Re: The Coaching Career of Tony Sparano (HC 09)

Dolphins hire Sparano as head coach, replacing Cameron

Updated: January 16, 2008, 7:46 PM ET
By Len Pasquarelli | ESPN.com

Dallas Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano is the new Miami Dolphins head coach.

The two sides on Wednesday morning completed work on what ESPN.com has confirmed is a four-year contract worth about $2.5 million to $2.7 million per year.

Sparano arrived at the team complex Wednesday wearing a suit and accompanied by new Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland. Owner Wayne Huizenga soon joined them, then left about an hour later.

Not counting the interim tenure of Jim Bates in 2004, Sparano becomes the seventh head coach in franchise history, and replaces Cam Cameron, who lasted just one season in the job before being fired. In his first NFL head coaching job, Sparano inherits a team that won just one game in 2007; has obvious holes on the offensive side, including uncertainty at quarterback; and an aging defense.

On the positive side, the Dolphins own the top overall selection in the 2008 draft, and can either exercise it to choose a top-shelf prospect, or perhaps trade the choice for additional picks in the lottery. Sparano also will be surrounded by a strong support group of front-office executives he knows well.

Ireland, who most recently worked in the Dallas personnel department as vice president of college and pro scouting, is familiar with Sparano and his coaching style. And Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells hired Sparano as an assistant when Parcells was the Dallas head coach.

"Coach Parcells has taught me the most, prepared me the most for this job," Sparano said. "He's taught me a great deal and I'm going to continue to learn as much as I can."

Sparano, 46, also interviewed for the head coach openings in Atlanta and Baltimore.

Although he has worked in the league only nine seasons, Sparano is widely respected for his offensive acumen and his demeanor with the players. Before joining the Dallas staff in 2003, Sparano was on the staffs of Cleveland (1999-2000), Washington (2001), and Jacksonville (2002).
"When Bill and I discussed what we were looking for in a head coach, we talked about one of high character," Ireland said. "We wanted someone who understood how to develop young players, one who could instill a culture that's all about winning.

"We think we found that guy. We know we found that guy."

Parcells sat in a corner of the room, smiling occasionally like a proud papa. He declined to meet with reporters, leaving the talk to his proteges.

Before landing his first NFL position, Sparano worked 15 years in the college ranks and was head coach at New Haven from 1994 to 1998.
He worked primarily with the Cowboys' offensive line this season. But when Parcells was the coach, Sparano had much broader responsibilities. Although he didn't hold the title of coordinator, Sparano called the team's plays in 2006. Parcells is known to hold Sparano in high regard.
Sparano is expected to pursue several current Dallas assistant coaches, some of whose contracts with the Cowboys have expired, for key positions on his staff. The Dolphins already have tapped the Dallas pipeline since the arrival of Parcells. Former Cowboys assistant David Lee was hired as quarterbacks coach, and on Tuesday, Brian Gaine was hired as assistant director of player personnel after three years as the Cowboys' assistant director of pro scouting.

The Dolphins can thank the New York Giants for expediting their hiring of a coach. Sparano became available when the Cowboys lost their playoff game to New York on Sunday.

"It does leave a bitter taste in my mouth," Sparano said. "Anybody who knows me knows I'm about finishing. We didn't finish. That left a bad taste in my mouth. ...

"Obviously it has been a real crazy week for me. But I'm glad it ends this way."

"I commend Wayne Huizenga, Bill Parcells and the Miami Dolphins on the hiring of an excellent football coach," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a statement. "I have a great deal of confidence in Tony and his ability to get the job done there in Miami."

Added Cowboys coach Wade Phillips: "I talked to Tony today and told him how proud I was of him, and how happy we are for him."

The Dolphins are coming off the worst season in team history. They lost their first 13 games and missed the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year, extending a franchise record.

"I don't really care what happened in the past," Sparano said. "I'm not afraid of challenges. I look forward to them."

The coach's office became a revolving door since 2004, when Dave Wannstedt quit after nine games and was replaced by Bates. Nick Saban became the coach in 2005, but lasted only two years before leaving for Alabama. Cameron, the former offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, came on board, but after a 1-15 season, was dismissed by Parcells on Jan. 3.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
MVP

MIAMI DOLPHINS 2008 NFL DRAFT RECAP
The Dolphins had an impressive draft, First they signed OT Jake Long as first overall choice last Tuesday Long will be the starter on the left side for many years. Then DE Phillip Merling slipped into the second round after a weak workout and sports hernia surgery but he should fit this 3-4 scheme on the left side, more because he can play the run than for his pass-rushing, they got great value with that pick. QB Chad Henne will be an immediate factor and don't be surprised if he presses Beck for playing time sooner than you think.Overall Grade: A-

Round
Pick
Player
Position
School
Jake Long
T
Michigan
1. Miami Dolphins
Jake Long, OT, Michigan

HEIGHT: 6-7 WEIGHT: 315
Long is the OT in this draft, but may not end up being the best in the long run. Long's strong combine and pro days only reiterated what everyone knows: that he is the premier tackle in this draft

Notes: 14 starts at right tackle and 11 at left tackle he is more suited to the right side at the NFL level, but showed the skills at the combine that have many believing he can play the left side at the next level.
Phillip Merling
DE
Clemson
HEIGHT: 6-05 WEIGHT: 280

Merling brings speed, size, and athleticism where he could be the premier sackmaster to replace Jason Taylor. Great Value here as he was rated as a first rounder
Chad Henne
QB
Michigan
Kendall Langford
DE
Hampton
Shawn Murphy
G
Utah State
Jalen Parmele
RB
Toledo
Donald Thomas
G
Connecticut
Lex Hilliard
RB
Montana
Lionel Dotson
DE
Arizona
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

You might consider a house rule on Performance-cap it at a certain level or tie it to the regular skills-no raising Performance unless you have all the regular skills of that level.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
MVP

Smile Re: The Coaching Career of Tony Sparano (HC 09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
You might consider a house rule on Performance-cap it at a certain level or tie it to the regular skills-no raising Performance unless you have all the regular skills of that level.
Sounds good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
MVP

Dolphins camp report: Maligned Ginn aims for fast relief

By Pete Prisco | CBSSports.com Senior Writer

DAVIE, Fla. -- If you're a Miami Dolphins fan, you probably have at least a little disdain for Ted Ginn Jr. It's nothing personal, mind you, but it's there, brought on by the draft of 2007.

Ted Ginn Jr. gets a chance to make an impact as a No. 1 receiver.(AP)
Most fans wanted quarterback Brady Quinn in that draft, but somehow the previous regime opted to take a wide receiver with great speed who wasn't even 6-feet tall -- with a top-10 pick, no less.

They loudly booed the pick on draft day, and the video of then-coach Cam Cameron announcing the pick to the fans made its way across the country. It was a move that helped lead to the firing of the previous staff, general manager and Cameron and fueled the South Florida sports-talk shows.

Quinn, the fans thought, would finally end that elusive search to replace Dan Marino, a futile exercise that has led to a parade of ill-equipped passers through South Florida this entire decade. Ginn? What good is speed when there is nobody to get that speed the football?

That kind of talk, and there was plenty of it in South Florida last year, sure doesn't appear to bother Ginn.

"I don't pay attention to what the fans and the media has to say," Ginn said during a break this week from the Dolphins' training camp. "I just have to do what I know I can do."

Community Focus
Dale Rebholz:
"As much as I like Beck, I think Henne will probably come in about the sixth or seventh game. He's the future."

dolfan7171: "I am looking for an improved team in all areas. I would love to see this team go 10-6. As many people don't believe it. I think it could happen."

What he has to do is show that he can be a No. 1 receiver, a go-to guy and a playmaker for a team that doesn't have any. Ginn set a rookie record in 2007 with 2,086 combined yards, but nobody seemed to care. Playing for a 1-15 team, with an offense that struggled to complete passes, let alone have big plays, Ginn was a poster child for what was wrong with the Dolphins.

Did they really take a 5-11 receiver over the quarterback of the future? Do we have to watch this wretched passing game? Please.

Ginn caught 34 passes for 420 yards and two touchdowns. He also averaged 22.7 yards per kickoff return and 12.4 per return on punts, including two for touchdowns. One of those was an 87-yard beauty.

It just wasn't enough. This is an era of instant gratification. The fans paid no mind to the history of receivers struggling early in the NFL. They wanted it now.

"I can't worry about people saying things because of where I was picked," Ginn said. "It didn't bother me. I just have to do the things I know I need to do to get better."

Like run faster.

That might seem surprising considering Ginn has track speed, clocking a 10.5 in the 100 meters in high school, but that's exactly what the Dolphins want from him in his second season.

Ginn has run fast his entire life, sprinting past opposing players, winning track meets, even covering the other team's fastest receiver at times, speed that the Dolphins loved when they picked him.
Out of Nowhere Man
Waiver Wire pick-up, running back Anthony Aldridge out of Houston, has flashed in camp. With Ronnie Brown not all the way back, Aldridge who was originally signed by the Broncos, but got cut early in training camp, has been given a chance to show his stuff and has done well. New coach Tony Sparano is eager to see Aldridge in preseason games.
Who is your Out of Nowhere Man?

New coach Tony Sparano, who replaced Cameron, hasn't always seen it from Ginn. When he watched tapes of last season, something was wrong. When he watched Ginn during the team's offseason work, something was off.
Sparano knows his receiver has track speed, which is why he couldn't quite understand how Ginn didn't seem to be playing as fast. A closer study showed after the catch, he was good, but Sparano said the problems came before he caught the football.

Run fast, they told Ginn -- all the time.

"Teddy," Sparano said to him in the spring. "You're not playing fast before the catch. You have to play as fast before the catch as after the catch. That's what the great ones do."

The problem that hurts all young NFL receivers, making it a tough position for transitioning from the college game, got to Ginn. Thinking while he ran routes made him slow down, his head racing faster than his feet.

"That's what it was," Ginn. said. "Now I'm more comfortable with the offense. I'm not thinking as much. And I am playing faster."

Ginn must become the Dolphins' go-to receiver. Coming out of Ohio State, where he wowed scouts with speed, the questions about Ginn were more about size. Could he hold up to the physical beating of corners in the NFL at 5-11, 175 pounds? He proved he could last year, but he never got that extra gear going.

That should change now, which is a scary proposition for opposing corners.
"It's coming together for me," Ginn said. "That's allowing me to be more explosive and faster in my routes."

In an era of me-first, talkative receivers, Ginn isn't one of them. He's humble, quiet and quite frankly doesn't really like talking. I was warned by some of the local media that he wasn't great talking up his skills, and he wasn't. After three questions, he tried walking away but I somehow kept him there.

He didn't get away from my jam.

"That just isn't me," Ginn said. "I'm not cocky. I'm a humble guy. I don't like talking my game up. My father was my high school coach. He told me never to get a big head. I just want to go out and keep getting better. I don't like to make enemies. For what? Guys start targeting you. I want them to target me for what I do on the field, not what I say with my mouth."

During the Dolphins' afternoon practice Monday, Ginn showed his ability during an 11-on-11 drill. Lined up left, he ran a skinny post and Chad Henne fired a bullet that hit him between the 1 and 9 on his jersey. Ginn gathered in the football, turned on the burst, and raced through the defense.

If Ginn can do more of that, the fans will come to love him. Corners will come to hate him.

"I've seen him make a lot of improvement out here during this camp," Sparano said.

Just moments before talking with me, Sparano was locked in his office watching the day's practice. Ginn caught his eye.

"He jumped out at me a couple of times in one-on-one drills," Sparano said. "He's playing so much faster, so much more confident, because he knows what he's doing. Young receivers are thinking about their release. They're thinking about the coverage. Until all of those things start to happen quicker for them, they do play slow. This guy is playing pretty fast right now and he hasn't had mental errors, which is tremendous."
Ginn isn't sure what he can do this season. The quarterback issues that hurt the offense last year are still there. Three players are competing for one spot, although Henne, a rookie from Michigan, has looked the best. But calling it an uncertain position might be kind.

What Ginn does know about himself if that no matter who's throwing he will keep working to get better. He has added five pounds of muscle to his frame, and he looks stronger.

"So you dropped some body-fat, too," I asked him.

"I never had any body fat," he said.

OK, so he's bigger. That will come in handy as he battles corners who want to jam him at the line.

"Guys are scared of me," Ginn said. "If they jam me and miss me, it can hurt them."

If the Dolphins see more of that, maybe he'll win over those fans who cringe at the mere mention of his name. You know who you are, just admit it.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-30-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
MVP

Dolphins Training Camp Primer: Defensive Backs

Sam L (Senior Analyst) on August 15, 2008

What to expect: Miami's Defensive Backfield dropped like flies last season, with ligaments snapping seemingly every game. Losing Yeremiah Bell for the season in the first game immediately set things off on the wrong foot, and there was little playmaking to be seen from the backups.

The NFL ranks pass defenses by average pass yards allowed per game. In this regard, Miami ranked fourth overall in the league last season. But Miami's pass defense was hardly a top five unit.

It was just that no team had to pass against Miami since it's run defense held up like a wet napkin. In reality, according to the advanced metrics of Pro Football Prospectus, Miami's pass D ranked 27th in the league. Big difference.

The bad news is that things aren't likely to drastically improve this season. Miami's pass rush could very well be worse than last year, putting even more pressure on the defensive backs. The team brought in five new DBs this year, while letting go all but four of the defensive backs on the roster last year. Only time will tell if the changes Coach Sparano and GM Gil Darnell have made in the offseason will work.

Here's a closer look at the individual defensive backs currently on the roster and what can be expected of them this coming season:

CB, Will Allen
Will Allen doesn't get nearly enough credit around the league and especially from Dolphins fans. It's time to recognize that Allen is and has been for a few years now, one of the best corners in the game.

Since he's been in Miami he has been a true No. 1 corner, and I expect that level of play to continue for at least one more season. One problem is that Allen is 30 years old, so I have questions about how long he can remain a No. 1 corner.

The other problem is that because of the lack of quality depth behind Allen, teams can simply avoid him by throwing to the other side of the field. As it stands, Allen is Miami's only shutdown corner, and he's good in run support and blitzing as well.

CB, Michael Lehan
Lehan performed well enough as a starter last season that he was resigned, and he will once again fight to be a starter. He gave up a few too many big plays last year, but the safeties providing deep help were horrendous. He was solid in run support, but could be better.

CB, Michael Grant (R)-Arkansas
Grant was originally signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars as an undrafted rookie free agent, and was cut in training camp. The Dolphins picked him up off the waiver wire. Grant's biggest strength is his blazing speed. No one really knows how well he can actually cover. Coach Sparano thought, given what he heard from Jackonsville, that Grant was worth signing for a year to see if he develops into a useful player.

CB, Justin Tryon (R)-Arizona State
Tryon was originally drafted by the Washington Redskins in the 4th round. Unable to win a roster spot behind Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot and Carlos Rogers, he was cut in training camp. The Dolphins picked him up off the waiver wire. Tryon is fairly short, even for a corner-back; However, word out of camp is that he has impressed with his speed and quick feet and has made a strong case to be the nickel corner-back from Day One for the Dolphins. On a lighter note, Tryon seems to have a swagger about him that he is backing up on the field while mouthing off. Should he emerge as even a solid 4th or 5th corner-back, he will be a great find for the Dolphins and add depth to the position at a bargain price.

CB, Michael Waddell
Waddell is a bit of a mystery. A former 4th round draft selection of the Tennessee Titans in 2004, Waddell never played a game for the Titans, spending his time in Tennessee on the practice squad. The Titans cut Waddell in training camp and the Dolphins signed him as a Free Agent. Waddell is only 5'10", but he does have very good speed and quick feet. A strong performance in camp has made a strong case for Waddell to start opposite CB Will Allen.

FS, Jimmy Williams
The Dolphins sent a pair of 5th round picks (2009, 2010) to Atlanta for the troubled CB turned FS. Williams was originally a 2nd round pick of the Falcons in 2006, but never lived up to the team's expectations. When Williams showed up to training camp twenty pounds overweight, the Falcons decided enough was enough. The Dolphins were excited to get Williams, who they think they can get back on track. Williams will compete with Jason Allen for the starting Free Safety spot.

FS, Jason Allen
Jason Allen has, in general, been a bust in his first two seasons, but he finally showed a glimpse of promise during the second half of last season when he was given the opportunity to start. He's still awful against the run and he made too many mistakes in deep coverage, a definite no-no for the free safety. On the other hand, he did come up with a few big plays in pass defense. He should get the opportunity to start from week one, but he needs to improve his success rate (a disappointing 43%) and his Adjusted Pass Yards allowed (12.3, among the very worst in the league). We all know about his phenomenal physical talents, but he has still not translated that into the kind of success he's capable of on the field. Another year of experience and a new coaching staff should help somewhat. This year will go a long way towards determining whether Jason Allen will have a future with the Dolphins.

SS, Danieal Manning
Manning has had an interesting start to the season. He was traded by the Chicago Bears to the Miami Dolphins for Miami's 4th round pick in 2009 and their 6th round pick in 2006. When he arrived in Miami, he was told he'd be playing Strong Safety. Manning has gone back and forth between safety and cornerback in the past, so Coach Sparano is confident he can make the transition and could even earn a starting spot. The Bears traded Manning due to Manning tendency to making mistakes, and giving up big plays. If he wants to be successful in Miami, he will have to be sure to keep his head on a swivel and keep an eye out for anything and everything that affects his position and the defense. If he can remain healthy, which has also been a problem for him in the past, he could have a fine year at safety and could end up the starter by the time the season starts.

SS, Joey Thomas
Thomas has history with the coaching staff, but all he's done since entering the league is bounce around from team to team. Thomas played CB for most of his career, but Coach Sparano is going to try him at Strong Safety this year. Although with the Daniel Manning trade, his only real shot at becoming the starter at CB or SS, seems to be if one of the guys in front of him gets hurt.
-----

Here's my predicted depth chart:
CB - Will Allen, Michael Grant (R), Michael Lehan

CB - Michael Waddell, Justin Tryon (R)
SS - Daniel Manning, Joey Thomas
FS - Jimmy Williams, Jason Allen

Training camp battles to watch:

Allen vs. Williams for the starting Free Safety spot.
Waddell, Tryon, Grant, and Lehan for the starting Cornerback spot opposite Allen.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
MVP

Miami Dolphins Training-Camp Primer: Receivers

Sam L
(Senior Analyst) on August 21, 2008

Next up in the series of positional previews are the wide receivers and tight ends.

What to expect
Talk about a motley crew. Going into training camp Miami's ragtag bunch of receivers don't have much combined experience in this league, and what experiences they have had don't inspire tremendous confidence that they'll be able to consistently help out the quarterback.

The good news here is that this group is incredibly young, and that means they have a tremendous amount of room to improve. Ernest Wilford is the oldest of the bunch, and he is not yet 30-years old.

This team still lacks a true No. 1 receiver, and while Ted Ginn will most likely play that role this year, I'm not sure he's cut out to be the top guy. The team doesn't have a guy of that caliber on the roster, so that's something that will have to be addressed after this season.

Until then, this hungry group of youngsters will have to make due. Here's a closer look at the individual receivers currently on the roster and what can be expected of them this coming season.

Ted Ginn
For his rookie season, Ginn certainly didn't quiet all the naysayers who criticized his high draft position, but nothing short of being in contention for Rookie of the Year honors would have done that. Those lofty expectations were flat-out unreasonable.
The performance he did turn in was rather pedestrian, but he showed enough promise to back up the notion that he can indeed be a starter in this league—probably not a true No. 1, but I don't doubt his ability to be a quality starter.
With either Ernest Wilford or Derek Hagan starting opposite him, Ginn will be matched with a big possession-type receiver. That's a good complement for Ginn's blazing speed and deep-threat prowess.
Ginn showed that he's tough enough to catch a ball while running through the middle of the field, but his true value to this offense is as the deep bomb target. Besides, I don't know how long he'd last, given his slight build, if his prime role involved him taking constant beatings.
For his sophomore season, I think Ginn will catch between 50-60 passes for 750-800 yards.

As far as his return duties, I was pleased with what Ginn showed, but he has several areas that he needs to improve on. Most importantly, he needs to stop calling for so many fair catches. He called for 15 out of only 39 punts. That's too much.

He's a bona fide weapon as a return man, but he's only a weapon if he's actually returning the ball.

Obviously, some of his fair catches were smart (I'm not advocating that he stop calling for them altogether), but too many were simply made when no one was even close to him.

Part of the reason was probably rookie jitters, so hopefully he will show that he is past that this year. He also needs to work on securing the ball when fielding kicks and punts, as he had several bad muffs.

Overall, I'm not concerned with Ginn being overworked as both a starting receiver and a returner this season, but in the future, I would not mind seeing him cede punt-return duties to another player.

Ernest Wilford
Wilford is Miami's biggest receiver, standing 6'4" tall, and at the beginning of training camp I thought he'd probably begin the season as the starter, but a free agent signing and trade have made that far less certain. If he does get the starting job, I'm not sure he'll hang on to that job for the entire season though. You see, Wilford has always played his best in a reserve role.

His lone season (2006) as a starter in Jacksonville paled in comparison with his other seasons when he was the third receiver. He is 29-years old, so maybe it's too much to expect that he'll now prove capable of starting.
Rather, I think he makes a very good third receiver. He presents a gigantic target in the red zone.

His main value to this team will come in his ability to move the chains. Over his career, he has turned an amazing 77 percent of his receptions into first downs. That kind of ability to keep drives alive will be key for Miami's young quarterbacks to get in a rhythm.

Chris Henry
If anyone is going to unseat Wilford for the starting job, I think it will be Henry. Henry was cut by the Bengals and signed by the Dolphins to a 1yr deal. Before he was let go by the Benals, their receivers coach criticized Henry for being too immature and unfocused.
With all the off the field problems and the drops on the field that Henry has had since coming into the league two years ago, it isn't hard to see why Coach Lewis let him go.

But this is his third season, and he appears to be turning a corner. Darnell and Sporano have heaped praise on him, and it seems like Henry may finally have his head where it belongs. His physical tools are not the problem. He's big (6'4"), tough, and has shown the ability to get open. He's also only 25-years old.

It is far too early to give up on Henry just yet. His ceiling as a starter is greater than Wilford's, and if you combine that with the fact that Wilford plays better as a third-string guy, then this situation just sets itself up for Henry supplanting Wilford as the starter, opposite Ginn, at some point this season—perhaps even as early as opening day.

Henry likely won't have a great season in terms of conventional numbers, but I'm confident he's going to show the team that he is worth keeping around as part of the future, so look for GM Darnell to resign him.

Darius Reynaud (R) - West Virginia
Reynaud was signed twice as an undrafted, college free-agent first by the Vikings and then by the Dolphins when Minnesota Coach Brad Childress cut him in training camp. Reynaud doesn't have great size (5'10", 205 lbs.), but he is like a Swiss Army knife combined with a sparkplug.

He's real fun to watch and he has a lot of people rooting for him to succeed.

Ike Sampson (R) - UW Stevens Pt.
Lymon, an undrafted, college free-agent, is another big, tall (6'2" 207lbs) possession receiver that Darnell and Coach Sparano love. Of course, he comes with several questions about his maturity, work ethic, and character. If he shows mental growth throughout training camp, he may lock up a spot on the practice squad.

Nate Washington
After Tab Perry was injury, and subsequently cut and Chris Henry hurting his hamstring again, the team went out and traded for Washington from Pittsburgh. The Dolphins paid a steep price (3rd rounder in 2009) to get Washington which leads me to believe he is seen as more than just injury insurance though.

Washington much like Ernest Wilford was a solid contributor as a third WR in Pittsburgh averaging 32 catches for 537yds and 4 TDs. If he could do the same as a third WR for the Dolphins Coach Sparano would be happy. But think what happens if Washington can double that production as a starter that would be a 1000yd season and 8 TD's.

Washington also provides insurance for Tedd Ginn at Kick Returner.

Tight Ends:

Anthony Fasano
Coming into camp, most analysts thought that assuming he's healthy, Fasano should have no problem winning the starting TE spot. He's really the only TE on the roster that can be considered both a good blocker and a good pass-catcher. The rest of the guys all seem pretty one-dimensional.
Fasano blocks straight ahead very well, and that will help the power-running game. He's also a weapon at catching passes over the middle, and he runs his crossing routes to perfection, oftentimes helping the other receivers to get open.

The fact that he's stepping into a system that he already knows, while all the other guys adjust, further cements his seeming lock on the starting spot. Also, he's only 24-years old, so he's still got plenty of room for improvement. I expect good things from Fasano in the future.

David Martin
What a disappointment this guy was last year (and I wasn't even one of those crazy fans who thought Martin was the next coming of Antonio Gates—talk about a rude awakening for them). In five seasons with the Packers before coming to Miami, Martin had never been a full-time starter.
Cam Cameron mistakenly thought he could turn him into one.

Wrong.

Martin is what he is. He's essentially just another receiver who plays a position that requires him to perform a task that he is seemingly unable to do (blocking).

The injury bug that perpetually follows Martin around like Pigpen's dust cloud hampered him again last season, sapping his effectiveness. All of those injuries, combined with his older age (29), aren't doing any favors to the one skill he relies on—his speed.

Despite all these negatives, I still think Martin will make the team, primarily due to a lack of better options. He comes pretty cheap, and aside from Fasano, he's the only other receiving threat that Miami has at TE.

Desmond Clark
After looking at the TE's in camp, Gil Darnell wanted an upgrade at TE and the Dolphins think they got one with former Bears' TE Desmond Clark. After being rebuffed several times by the Bears, the Dolphins' GM was able to work out a deal (7th in 2009, and a 4th in 2010.) Clark may be getting up there in age but he still has a lot left in the tank and most analysts feel is an upgrade over Martin or Fasano. Clark had a solid but not spectacular seasons in the last two seasons and looks to do the same with Miami. When asked about the trade, Clark responded that he's excited to be a Dolphin and that he is ready for training camp and ready to contribute.

He will most likely take the starting job and could be a big contributor in the passing game.

-----

Here's my predicted depth chart:

Wide Receivers:

1. Ted Ginn
2. Chris Henry
3. Nate Washington
4. Ernest Wilford
5. Darius Reynaud
6. Ike Sampson

Tight End:

1. Desmond Clark
2. Anthony Fasan
3. David Martin

Training camp battle to watch
Wilford vs. Henry vs. Washington for the starting spot opposite Ginn.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 06-30-2012 at 10:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »