Home

Restoring The Roar: The Coaching Career of Trevor Lavack

This is a discussion on Restoring The Roar: The Coaching Career of Trevor Lavack within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Restoring The Roar: The Coaching Career of Trevor Lavack

Hey everybody, the name is Trevor Lavack. As much as I hate to admit it, I have never done anything like this before. I've been a lurker on the site for years, and have loved reading the dynasties that everyone posts up, whether it be for MLB, NHL, NFL, NCAA, or whatever. Reading these have made me want to start one of my own, but I've never found a game that I really enjoyed and seemed to work out well for something of this sort. That is, until I found this coaching dynasty area and was reminded of NFL Head Coach 09. The NFL Head Coach games were some of my favorites, though I haven't held a copy in forever. After reading some dynasties using this game, I was inspired to go out and pick it up again. Surprisingly, Gamespot carried it for a mere $1.99, making it a no-brainer to buy. After playing a little to familiarize myself with the controls once again, I am happy to finally start one up.

However, I must put it out there that I will probably only be able to post up limited data. In a household of ten people, and only one computer in the living room, I am severely limited in my time to post. On the other hand, I am able to play on a regular basis, so I will be able to jot down notes and evertyhing every day, so, when I do post, I should be able to post several games/weeks worth of stats and stories. Hopefully that will make up for the length between posts.

On a side note, I am not doing this simply because I want people to read it. No, I am doing this because I've wanted to for a while, and because I love football and writing. Combining the two together gives me something to do, and will make the playing of the game that much better. (I also plan on doing something similar with Madden 13, but I don't think I will be able to for a while seeing as I don't have the necessary funds to purchase the game, but only rent it).

If anyone has any pointers or tips, or any house rules they think I should use before I start up my career, let me know so I can make this entertaining to any people who end up following. I am not above taking criticism (as long as it is constructive and not completely bashing me) and look forward to keeping this going for a while.

I can state that I will be using my hometown Detroit Lions, and running a variant of Mike Shanahan's ZoneBlocking playbook on offense and a variant of the Tampa 2 defensive playbook. Also, I will be starting in the offseason, so I will be going through free agency and the NFL draft. So if there are any players I should look for to compliment my system, or should avoid (for any reason) just say the word.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Restoring The Roar: The Coaching Career of Trevor Lavack

The Detroit Lions have been a laughing stock in the NFL for years, having the honor of being one of the few teams to never even qualify for the Super Bowl. Recent years have seen poor drafting by Matt Millen, coupled with coaches that just couldn’t seem to get it done (such as Marty Mornhinweg, Steve Mariucci, Dick Jauron, and most recently, Rod Marinelli). Hell, the team hasn’t even made the playoffs since ’99. Lions fans have had nothing to root for in a long time, but that should be changing soon.

Despite only coaching two years in Detroit, Rod Marinelli was fired after the 2007 season. When asked about the firing, Marinelli only had this to say: “I am saddened by the direction this franchise seems to be taking. They hired me to bring this city back to the forefront, yet refused to allow me the time to make it happen. The curse of Bobby Layne is alive and well, and I say this franchise will never get anywhere.”

President and GM Matt Millen hosted a press conference the next day to express his decision: “We are sad to see Rod go. I feel he is a good coach, and would have liked to keep him. However, we were not seeing the results we wanted to see, and the fans have been waiting too long. I wish Rod the best in his endeavors, and will gladly give him a recommendation for any job he may wish. Now, for the future of this team. I am pleased to announce that we have a new head coach, one who will bring leadership and intensity to this franchise. I introduce to you…Trevor Lavack.”

Lavack is a relative unknown in the NFL, having never held a coaching position beyond the High School level. Trevor, 29 years old, played both defensive tackle and offensive guard in high school, becoming an all-state tackle in his junior and senior years. He stayed out of big-named colleges, instead attending Albion for two years before dropping out, never cracking the top three on the depth chart. Taking his talents and knowledge back home, Lavack took a job at his old high school, coaching the defense for four years under Head Coach Phil Howard. When Howard was fired due to a scandal involving indecent language/racist comments on posters, Lavack was given the head-coaching job and led his Cardinals to five consecutive state championship games, winning four of them.

His offense ran a zone-blocking scheme, relying on a strong running game with athletic, smart lineman to pick up the defenders in their zone. On defense, Lavack ran a variant of the Tampa 2 defense, throwing in some 4-2-5 looks and zone blitzes to keep the opposition guessing. Lavack’s team consistently ranked in the top three in both offense and defense, and Matt Millen really like him. Millen is one who is not afraid to take chances and doesn’t really care what is thought of him, which worked out well for Lavack as he know gets his first look as an NFL head coach.

“I am happy to be a part of the Lions franchise.” Lavack stated in the press conference. “Growing up in the Detroit area, I have lived with seeing my Lions struggle year after year. I miss the days of Barry Sanders, and our few playoff appearances. For Detroit, we have had to live with a crappy football team while the Red Wings and Pistons have given us something to cheer for. Sure, the Pistons are falling lately, but the Tigers are once again on the rise. And, if the Tigers can roar again, why can’t we? Let’s give Lions fans something to cheer for as well. We will restore the roar!”

It is rumored that Millen has Lavack on the hot seat in this first year, but is still willing to defer some control of the franchise over to him. It remains to be seen how this new coach, instilling a new system, will be able to compete in a fairly strong division, and an even strong conference.

Coach Name: Trevor Lavack
Playbooks: Shanahan Zone-Block, slightly customized
Tampa 2, slightly customized
I will start in the offseason

Dynasty House Rules:
  1. Only sign one 85+ free agent each offseason
  2. Can only sign up to three 80+ free agents each offseason (including the 85+ player)
  3. Can only spend up to $20 million in free agency each offseason (will limit complete overhauls, and force me to make smart decisions)
  4. Cannot replace a starter if A) they win an end of season award. B) they make the pro bowl. and C) if they finish in the top five or top ten at their position statistically
  5. Cannot fire coaches if that side of the ball/position put up good numbers (ex: total defense was 11 in the league, run defense was 7 and pass defense was 15, then only defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach would be able to be replaced)
  6. I will completely set my draft board, from top to bottom, but will have the GM make the draft selection (within reason. If I completely defer from the GM, and the player is nowhere near that spot on my board, then I will override the GM and draft who I believe is the best fit)
  7. This game has been out for a long time, so there are plenty of draft guides out there. I will stay away from them so I don't purposely draft all the amazing sleepers and stars that are out there. Unfortunately, I already know quite a few from reading the other dynasties, but I will try to stay away from them so I don't completely load up.
And there you have it. Hopefully I can make this enjoyable for everyone. My next post should be up later tonight, which will include my team philosphy, roster, coaches, and draft board.

Last edited by trevviejoe12; 08-24-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Rookie

steviephresh319's Arena

OVR: 0

I like how you've started going about this. Kind of has me aching to start this with either my Madden 13 'chise or my MLB 'chise. Good luck with this man, look forward to reading more of your posts!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 26

You want to be very careful with putting house rules on your coaching staff-the CPU teams won't reciprocate.You can expect them to hire the best coaching staff possible and focus heavily on Performance and positional special skills. My rule-keep an eye on the CPU coaches-and do what I can to stay competitive with them. I do wish there was a way to view CPU coordinators and position coaches though.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviephresh319
I like how you've started going about this. Kind of has me aching to start this with either my Madden 13 'chise or my MLB 'chise. Good luck with this man, look forward to reading more of your posts!

Thanks for the read. I hope to start one for Madden 13 as well, but that will probably have to wait. I won't be able to buy the game (at least not right away), but I am really looking forward to the game. I am renting it right away from Blockbuster, so hopefully I'll be able to get quite a bit of data right off the bat. And I'll be keeping an eye out for yours as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
You want to be very careful with putting house rules on your coaching staff-the CPU teams won't reciprocate.You can expect them to hire the best coaching staff possible and focus heavily on Performance and positional special skills. My rule-keep an eye on the CPU coaches-and do what I can to stay competitive with them. I do wish there was a way to view CPU coordinators and position coaches though.

Yeah, but I'm afraid by not putting any house rules on them, the game will become far too easy. I'm just going to have to wing it, and see what happens. However, I feel that the ones I have won't affect it too much. After all, I'm placing more emphasis on my actual coach, which I hope will help counterbalance the lack of high-level coaches. I'll just have to wait and see, but that's one house rule I'm giving myself some leway on. Thanks for the input.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Rookie

Shortly after being introduced as head coach, Lavack held a personnel meeting with his new club, introducing himself and laying out the groundwork for what he expected from the ball club in the upcoming season. Hopes were fairly high for the club coming off a 7-9 season, which saw an improvement from the previous 3-13 season. Matt Millen didn't see enough improvement to keep head coach Rod Marinelli and went in a different direction.

"First things first, I am keeping all coaching personnel, at least for this year. If you cannot coach for my system, I want you out. But I am willing to give you a chance this year." This announcement sent out a sigh of relief, as many coaches feared they would be fired before given a chance. Lavack continued around the room, speaking now to his players.

"I fear that many of you will not see another game here in a Lions uniform." Such a simple announcement sent ripples through the room, as players began to feel uneasy. Many were up for free agency, and there was no telling who Lavack intended to keep. "Even if we do resign you, there's a chance you will be traded. I'm going to be straight up with you. If I see an opportunity to improve this team going forward, I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on a deal. If you do not give me 110% on every down, on every play, in every practice, I will not hesitate to deal you. I only want players here who want to be here, and who want to bring a championship to this city."

It was an unusual announcement, especially from such a rookie coach. But Lavack wasn't one to take any chances. As free agency loomed overhead, rumors showed that Lavack had no intention of resigning any of the teams free agents. He stuck to his guns, releasing Damien Woody, Idrees Bashir, T.J. Ducket, Travis Fisher, J.T. O'Sullivan, Boss Bailey, George Foster, Casey Fitzsimmons, Tatum Bell, Teddy Lehman, Keith Smith, Corey Smith, Stanley Wilson, Stephen Peterman, John Owens, and Sean McHugh.

Lavack, however, made a huge splash in free agency, knabbing the cream of the crop as he convinced pro-bowl outside linebacker Lance Briggs from divison rival Chicago, signing him to a five-year deal. "Briggs is an outstanding talent, and is used to the Cover 2 system already. He's been a staple for Chicago, and I was surprised that they let him go. Now he will terrorize the Bears for us, instead of the other way around."

Several days after signing Briggs, Lavack announced that the team had agreed terms with free agent cornerback Randall Gay. "Gay has good hands and covers well in zone coverage. He struggles a bit in man, but that's not why we signed him. Pair Randall up with Leigh Bodden, and we have a solid secondary."

The other big free agent signing was center Dan Koppen, a player who moves well and is aware enough to call out the zones needed for Lavack's zone-blocking scheme. "I like Koppen. He is smart and a true athlete. He knows the game, and I see him being a staple for our offensive line."

Rounding out free agency, Lavack also knabbed quarterback Jim Sorgi, defensive end Josh Thomas, and middle linebacker Shelton Quarles. Some of his biggest moves, however, were through trades.

Trevor made phone calls all throughout free agency, and pulled together five seperate trades. Free safety Gerald Alexander and a 2008 6th round draft pick were sent to the Patroits for running back Kevin Faulk. Wide Reciever Shaun McDonald was sent to the Bills for a 5th and 7th round pick in the '08 draft. Chicago parted ways with free safety Daniel Manning in exchange for a '09 4th round pick. The Broncos parted ways with young pass rusher Elvis Dumervil for two 5th round picks (139 and 142) in the '08 draft. Lastly, free safety Dwight Smith was traded to the Rams in exchange for a '08 6th round pick and a '09 6th round pick.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
Rookie

The draft itself was pretty uneventful for Lavack, as most of his moves were made before the draft even arrived. However, that doesn't mean it didn't help the team out. Throughout the whole process, Lavack had his eye on one player, Boise State left tackle Ryan Clady. Clady had the smarts and the footwork to be a staple in his zone-blocking scheme, and everyone in the organization knew how high Lavack was on the kid. Unfortunately, Clady was taken fifth overall by the Kansas City Chiefs, despite many attempts by Lavack to trade up and take him. All teams were asking too much, and Trevor wasn't going to sell away the future for one player.

When the fifteenth pick came, Matt Millen wanted him to take running back Rashard Mendenhall, who wasn't even on Lavack's top five due to injury concerns. With nobody worth taking, Lavack dropped to the 21st pick in the draft, and nabbed a 3rd pick as well. When pick 21 came, Millen wanted him to take Gosder Cherildus, but Lavack opted to go a different way, believing in the old addage "Defense wins Championships" and taking strong safety Kenny Phillips. "Kenny is a ballhawk and a heavy hitter. He's that all around presence we want in our defensive backfield, ala Troy Polamalu."

The rest of the draft fell in place, and Lavack made no other trades, instead focusing on who Matt Millen wanted. Only twice more did he differ from Millen, including picks the 13th pick in round two, and the 23rd pick in round three.

Detroit Lions 2008 Draft:
Round One, Pick 21- Kenny Phillips, SS
Round Two, Pick 13- Ray Rice, HB
Round Three, Pick 12-Dre Moore, DT
Round Three, Pick 23- Clifford Avril, OLB (moved to DE)
Round Three, Pick 32- King Dunlap, OT
Round Four, Pick 12- Mario Manningham, WR
Round Five- None
Round Six, Pick 12- Athya Rubin, DT
Round Seven, Pick 19- Geoffrey Schwartz, OG

"This draft served us well. Phillips anchors our defensive backfield, and will be the signal caller from day one. This makes Kennoy Kennedy expendable. Rice is a workhorse back who hits the hole with authorit, and will be a nice change of pace from Faulk, who will both fight for playing time. Moore and Rubin are big bodies to plug up the front line, forcing their running backs to the outside to our speedy linebackers. Manningham will take over for McDonald, who was sent out in a trade, and could make an impact right away. Avril, a linebacker at Purdue, has blazing speed and can shed blocks easily. However, we don't need that from our linebackers, and he will see more playing time and be more useful as we switch him to defensive end. Dunlap and Schwartz are project offensive lineman, but they are both athletic enough to see playing time on our offensive line."

After the draft, Lavack quickly started making more phone calls to sign undrafted rookies he liked. "I was surprised that these players weren't drafted. It works for us, though, and I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth." The Lions signed undrafted kicker Alexis Serna, defensive end Tony Bake, running back Timothy Hightower, and wide recievers Moe Slaton and Steve Johnson.

(The next update will include the team's opening day roster, and any noticeable news from the preseason, including injuries, cuts, Lions preseason record, and anything else I deem important)
Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Rookie

This is a late notice, but, unfortunately, this thread is dead. I fired up my game shortly after posting my first few bits, only to find that my data was corrupt. So much for this dynasty. Instead, I am going to start a new one. I have one as the Ravens, halfwaythrough the first season, that I may put up. Or I'll start a new one for my Lions. Not sure which yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »