Home

2019 Bracketology Discussion

This is a discussion on 2019 Bracketology Discussion within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
2019 Bracketology Discussion

So since the NCAA Selection Committee released their top 16 yesterday. I thought it would be a good time to see if we can get any discussion going on the NCAA Tournament ( seeding, the bubble, etc).

1 Duke
1 Tennessee
1 Virginia
1 Gonzaga
2 Kentucky
2 Michigan
2 North Carolina
2 Michigan State
3 Purdue
3 Kansas
3 Houston
3 Marquette
4 Iowa State
4 Nevada
4 Louisville
4 Wisconsin

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2019 Bracketology Discussion

I don't want to be the 8-9 in Duke's bracket. Wonder if Virginia will stay on 1-line if either Michigan school gets hot and wins the Big Ten regular season and tournament, probably the Wolverines right now with State struggling.

The only beef with the seedings released yesterday was Villanova not being at minimum a 4. I think they'll be a 3 by March. Michigan State will probably slip, so that 2 seed isn't out of reach for Nova either.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

The fact that UofL is even in the discussion for the NCAA tournament is more than what was expected at the start of the year. Being in the top 16 with the first reveal, is simply amazing. Granted we aren't going to stay here after losing to Florida State Saturday, but to be firmly in the field at this point...I'll take it.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 02-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
MVP

I think barring a bunch of bad losses, I'll be surprised if Duke, Virginia and Gonzaga aren't 3 of the 4 1 seeds.

I think it is a battle between Tennessee, Michigan, Michigan State and Kentucky for that 4th # 1. I can't see 3 ACC teams getting # 1 seeds but I only think that comes into play if UNC was to sweep Duke.

Bubble team wise: This is a wish but I would prefer to see the committee put in a team like a Wofford. Those teams that may be around 27 or 28 wins at the end of the season but got upset in their conference tournament over some of the mediocre power conference teams that we'll see that could have a losing record in conference play.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
MVP

I could go on a rant about the bracketing procedures overcomplicating the NCAA tournament but I'll save that rant for later.

Right now, I'm going to put together a list of teams to look for that are in contention from non traditional leagues for an at large and rank it from likely to not likely:

Near Lock if not already:

Buffalo ( MAC) : Won at Syracuse and West Virginia (with Konate), Neutral Floor against San Francisco, Season sweep of Toledo and won at Kent State

Hopefully can make it as an at large but who knows what the committee thinks:

Wofford ( SoCon): 14-0 in a conference with 4 good teams ( Wofford, UNC Greensboro, Furman and East Tennessee State. 5-0 vs those teams with one more matchup vs Furman. None of their 4 losses are bad and they won at South Carolina

I would like to see them get in over some mediocre team from a good conference assuming they lose 1 or 2 more games. I think Wofford has a pretty good shot.

Belmont ( OVC): 12-2 in conference (swept by Jacksonville State). Won at Murray State, swept Lipscomb in the non conference, beat Western Kentucky and won at UCLA. Bad loss vs Green Bay

Murray State ( OVC): 12-2 in conference.No real good win. Lost at Jacksonville State and home vs Belmont. No bad losses ( at Alabama and at Auburn). I just want to see Ja Morant

This is more of a pipe dream for me since I like watching Rick Byrd team and I want to see both Belmont and Murray State in. Of the two, I think Belmont would have a puncher chance to get in.

Lipscomb ( A-Sun): 21-5. No bad losses but were swept by Belmont, at Louisville and at Clemson. Just lost to their co conference favorite Liberty at home. Best wins: at TCU, at SMU, at Liberty, vs Vermont ( America East favorite)

Puncher chance if their only other loss is to Liberty in the conference tournament.

Furman ( So-Con): won at Villanova and Loyola Chicago. Split with Eastern Tennessee State and UNC Greensboro. Big game on Saturday against Wofford to try to get a split. Also lost at LSU.

Same chances I would think as Lipscomb.

So my final rankings would be if any of this happens: Buffalo( near lock), Wofford and then a puncher chance to Belmont, Murray State, Lipscomb and Furman.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 AM   #6
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0

The committee is going to screw the mid-majors if they get the chance. Those teams you listed aren't going to make the dance if they don't win their tourneys, except Buffalo, who you have as a lock- and I tend to agree on that.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
The committee is going to screw the mid-majors if they get the chance. Those teams you listed aren't going to make the dance if they don't win their tourneys, except Buffalo, who you have as a lock- and I tend to agree on that.
If Wofford wins their game at Furman on Saturday, I think they’re in really good shape. I’ve looked at a couple different brackets and they’re higher than I initially thought.

Everybody after Buffalo and Wofford is more of a long shot but the committee always has 1 team that surprises people every year ( UAB in 2011, Tulsa in 2016 off the top of my head).

Old 03-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
MVP

So with Murray State winning last night, it has created the discussion of should Belmont get in as an at large.

I am hopeful that they can and I rather see them then a mediocre power team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »