Home

Recommendations for Triple Option teams thru the years to dive into.

This is a discussion on Recommendations for Triple Option teams thru the years to dive into. within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2022, 10:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Recommendations for Triple Option teams thru the years to dive into.

I remember as a kid watching Jamelle Holloway. I loved the Wishbone. Fast forward to today and honestly, todays football bores me with everything being so pass happy. The art of great blocking and rushing has been all but lost. The art of the fullback or B back. The great triple option QBs. Everything is just shotgun and 3rd and 2 and passing. Meh. I also love how the service academies are underdogs and are trying to balance the scales by basically keeping the other team's offense on the sidelines. And using analytics and going for 4th and 2 on their on 20. Love it.

A couple years ago I discovered the service academies ran the flexbone. So since then I have been a huge Black Knights fan and also enjoy watching the Falcons and Midshipmen, too. So I know they are the 3 current teams who run a version of it.

My question is this. What are some good teams and years you recommend to watch for great triple option offenses? I know Paul Johnson ran it at Georgia Tech but could someone suggest a year? Or any other years of the service academies that I should check out. I basically started watching in 2020.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2022, 11:43 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Recommendations for Triple Option teams thru the years to dive into.

1995 Nebraska with Tommie Frazier may have been the pinnacle of the option. Frazier was so good running it.
Old 09-18-2022, 03:16 AM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrudey32
I remember as a kid watching Jamelle Holloway. I loved the Wishbone. Fast forward to today and honestly, todays football bores me with everything being so pass happy. The art of great blocking and rushing has been all but lost. The art of the fullback or B back. The great triple option QBs. Everything is just shotgun and 3rd and 2 and passing. Meh. I also love how the service academies are underdogs and are trying to balance the scales by basically keeping the other team's offense on the sidelines. And using analytics and going for 4th and 2 on their on 20. Love it.

A couple years ago I discovered the service academies ran the flexbone. So since then I have been a huge Black Knights fan and also enjoy watching the Falcons and Midshipmen, too. So I know they are the 3 current teams who run a version of it.

My question is this. What are some good teams and years you recommend to watch for great triple option offenses? I know Paul Johnson ran it at Georgia Tech but could someone suggest a year? Or any other years of the service academies that I should check out. I basically started watching in 2020.
80's Oklahoma. Barry Switzer basically perfected that offense.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:29 AM   #4
Rookie

Yeah, I loved Oklahoma.

Honestly, i watched two Nebraska games with Frazier and it was just the I. Didn't see much triple option, though.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:31 AM   #5
Rookie

What's a good year to watch Georgia Tech? It seems Paul Johnson was somewhat of a guru to all the service academy coaches.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2022, 04:18 AM   #6
Just started!

The best way to defend the triple-option is to take away something that the offense does. When you limit the number of things that the offense does, it makes it much, much easier to anticipate what they are doing it, as well as where it will be run. It doesn't really matter what it is that you take away.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:22 PM   #7
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrudey32
What's a good year to watch Georgia Tech? It seems Paul Johnson was somewhat of a guru to all the service academy coaches.
2009/14 were his best teams, took both to Orange Bowls which Tech might never see again. 2009 he didn’t even have his players in yet and 2014 came at the end of his reign.

Another team to watch from the last couple of years is Coastal Carolina. It’s the most modern form of an offense with roots based in option offense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »