Home

Skipping recruiting (2k8)

This is a discussion on Skipping recruiting (2k8) within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Rookie

jrg2222's Arena

OVR: 0
Skipping recruiting (2k8)

I have an odd question; the other recruiting threads didn't exactly match what I'm looking for? Does anyone know how it works if you literally don't recruit players at all (with the assisted recruiting on)?

In the past I've started a legacy mode, spent the first few weeks recruiting, watched almost everyone randomly sign with other schools, then I erased the season file and moved on to another game.

First of all, in a season, i want to actually play games, not spend all of my time doing busywork. I wish it were like older games where the recruiting were done after the season, or oversimplified (like in the MVP baseball games). I know people have recruiting guides up, but even if you follow them recruiting is still a lot of work for little payoff, with players sill randomly snubbing you school and having to settle for players a star or two below the level of your school(s).

My question is what exactly happens if you completely ignore the recruiting aspect entirely? Teams need a bare minimum of 12 players, so at one point in the calendar, does the game automatically fill out your roster with one-star rated walk-ons, or does it fill it out with random players with average ratings? Does the game prompt you at any point, give you a reminder or "last chance" of signing players who are interested? I can always just take what the game gives me and edit their ratings to realistic levels based on the prestige of the school(s) I'm controlling.

The legacy mode is 95% great with the weekly highlight shows, the ability to play any scheduled game for any team, midnight madness, etc, but messy recruiting system ruins it for me.

***Update: I simmed a season with a Big Ten school. At the beginning of the season there was a local 5-star recruit who was already about 95% interested; I offered to him and he accepted. I had 4 other open roster spots after the season. The computer auto-filled them with 4 lower rated players (2 in the 60's, 2 in the 50's). An educated guess would be the computer auto-filled my roster with random players not recruited by other schools.

Last edited by jrg2222; 10-04-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
MVP

VandyRedskins21's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Skipping recruiting (2k8)

Yeah you can go that route where as long as assisted recruiting is up, you don't need to do anything recruiting wise. Then in the offseason you can go in and look at all the guys that are really interested in you and sign whoever is available. They almost always won't be as good as the guys you'd recruit in season but there are some gems that you will find that way.

Even at small schools in career legacy there will be players available but they are almost always terrible players (overall 55 and under with no shooting or defending abilities). At a larger school you could probably recruit the way you are talking about and still have a good team.

As far as what happens if you don't sign anyone, they always fill your roster with a few walk ons in general. I would assume you'd just have a bunch of walk ons that were 1 or 2 stars.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyRedskins21
Yeah you can go that route where as long as assisted recruiting is up, you don't need to do anything recruiting wise.
IIRC, you still have to offer scholarships manually as the assisted recruiting won't do that for you.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #4
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Yeah, this is one reason I would love an updated version of this game. The recruiting is nice that it's in depth but it can get tedious. I'd still probably do it myself most of the time but if you're looking for a quick sim legacy to play over the course of a weekend it'd be nice to have the option to leave that up to the CPU.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #5
MVP

VandyRedskins21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
IIRC, you still have to offer scholarships manually as the assisted recruiting won't do that for you.
Yes that's correct. They will do everything but offer a scholarship.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

could be a fun challenge.
assisted recruiting all year
offer the first day of the offseason signing period

or if you really need a challenge....

don't offer til the last monday of the signing period.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
Pro

esayem's Arena

OVR: 3

You think this one is in-depth, then fire up ESPN College Hoops (2k4). You can play the high schoolers in-season games!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »