Home

PS3...is it worth it?

This is a discussion on PS3...is it worth it? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: PS3...is it worth it?

I fought buying a PS3 for a long time, right candyman LOL, but I am so happy with it, my only real regret is NOT trading in my 360 to put towards the purchase. I think I will sell my 360 w/ the HD-DVD drive and buy a stereo receiver that has HDMI output. Right now I am trying to talk my wife into a new HDTV. I currently have a Sony 42 inch 3 LCD chip that does 480p,720p and 1080i, but I want 1080p and of course bigger is always better.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by malemisa
Ok here's my dilemma. I have a 360 which I bought last spring(still hasn't died,lol). Is there that much of an upgrade with a PS3? I've been thinking about picking one up with part of my tax return this year(especially with all the 360's dying these days). Should I keep the 360 AND get a PS3,sell the 360 and get a PS3 or just stick with the 360?! LOL! For what it's worth I pretty much only play sports titles (hockey and football) and some stuff like GRAW,COD,etc....and in the case of the 360's that are bitin the dust.when I got the system I somehow managed to never get an extended warranty(long story) so if my system dies I'm gonna be screwed. I need some input guys!! Thanks

If you really want all of the nice frills the PS3 offers, or are looking forward to it's 1st party stuff, then go ahead and pull the trigger. No one else can make that decision for you. If you WANT it, get it...

But to spend over 700 bucks (system, cables, game or two) because you're afraid of having to replace a 300 dollar system is a little crazy, IMO. If you're happy with the 360, go buy a 299.00 core w/ a replacement plan, and sell your currently working 360 on EBay/Craiglist to recoup a couple hundred bucks. In the end you spend around 150.00 for peace of mind, vs. 650.00 for what is at the moment a bare-bones gaming experience with few titles and sub-par online...and you know you won't be forced to buy a new TV.

Good luck.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 01-22-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:49 AM   #11
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

OVR: 21

I say PS3... For some reason the PS3 just seems to be built a lot better than the 360... I can barely hear my ps3 while it is running.. Also I think the PS3 will eventually have a ton of games excellent games... I mean the system has only been out since November, and if I recall the 360 barely had any games 2 months into release also...

But I would not trade my ps3 for any of the new systems...

Maybe I'm a little biased because my 360 died 2 weeks ago, even though I replaced it...

XBox One GT: rawdog805

Twitch: dufflebag_ran

Steam: rawdog805
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #12
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I'm just like Pratt I had mine and got rid of it a few weeks into it. There really aren't any titles justifying the cost of it.

Besides you will come out of more money in the long run, trying to get a television to push the graphics, HD cables, and more....And so far it doesn't justify the cost.

360 is indeed the complete package, so what if others are having heating issues. Amazing the company offers to replace them for free. And if yours is fine so far, stop being paranoid, because of others stories. Yours is fine, keep it. So far the titles are better, and if you want HD movies get the player. Will cost you alot less, than losing what you've already spent and some, trying to purchase a PS3...that really doesn't have much on it to play.

All the stability stories of peoples PS3's, is somewhat true. They do have less problems that some have heard. But alot of stores are keeping their mouths shut on what is returned, because they are overstocked in them, and really trying to sell them.

Demo units frozen and overheating around the country should say enough about stability. Give the system its full year, before you decide, and thats just my opinion....OPINION!!!!!

But its your money, only you can decide on what you really will end up doing.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Besides you will come out of more money in the long run, trying to get a television to push the graphics, HD cables, and more....And so far it doesn't justify the cost.
Why is it going to cost hime more in the long run??? If you have an Xbox 360 you most likely already have a HD television set so you do not need another to play in 1080p, that would just be a waste if you ask me... Even if you dont already have a 360 you will need/want an HD set.. There are many articles written that show that 1080p is only necessary if you are going to buy a huge television set...

HD Cables? you can get an HDMI cable for $6, and Components for the same price...

Last edited by rawdog805; 01-23-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Your original question is "PS3, is it worth it?"

The answer yes.

I grow tired of hearing how the PS3 has no games for it and that it costs $600. Well, you have to give the system time to get great games for it(Gears of War is a second year title).

Also $600 is no more expensive for the PS3 than it would to have the 360 do the same things.

PS3:
Wifi built in
60 GB hard drive
No add on to charge controller

No headset $20-$50 depending on what you buy
No component or HDMI cable (Component $30 HDMI $40)

Total cost high-end $700

360:
Headset included
Component cable included

No charge for controller included $20
No wireless adapter built in $100
No HD-DVD player $200

360 total cost $720

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
MVP

rawdog805's Arena

Hey country

you forgot that the 360 also only has a 20gb hard drive, and also the HDMI cable should only be a total of $10 shipped, so its even cheaper, and you can use the ps2 component cables which can be had used for about $5-$10..

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Also $600 is no more expensive for the PS3 than it would to have the 360 do the same things.
I get sick of this argument. It doesn't apply to all people.

It is indeed a good argument IF YOU WANT OR NEED WIRELESS OR HD-DVD. I don't care about these things and so for someone like me the PS3 IS MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE 360.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the PS3 isn't worth it. I haven't tried it. I just get tired of the rationale that the 360 is just as expensive if you buy everything to match the PS3.

Last edited by mercalnd; 01-23-2007 at 12:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »