Home

Console Sales Numbers .............

This is a discussion on Console Sales Numbers ............. within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #41
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Console Sales Numbers .............

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER
The thing is, though: the Xbox was abandoned. Xbox owners and the Halo faithful should have bought a 360 by now, especially with the incentive of full Halo 2 support. The 360 doesn't have a large "not now but later" crowd of the previous console, like the PS3 does. PS2 owners have genuine reasons (games) to not have bought a PS3 right away. Final Fantasy, God of War, Guitar Hero II, etc.

People sitting on the fence should've jumped off when Gears of War dropped, and a portion has. Bioshock and Mass Effect look great, but will they have a Gears or Halo-esque impact? I doubt it.

Will the 360 sell another 10 million this year? Who knows.

As far as the new 360 aka Zephyr goes..

MS will probably phase the Premium (or just swap the Zephyr model in) out, and add a hard drive and wireless controller to the Core.

I, personally, won't buy a Zephyr model until next year.
You make some good points Slayer, you said it right here:

"PS2 owners have genuine reasons (games) to not have bought a PS3 right away. Final Fantasy, God of War, Guitar Hero II, etc."

Why upgrade to the PS3 right away when there are excellent titles releasing.

Figure also that the PS2 is still getting mondo support with a few exclusive titles that can't be found on the XBOX or Cube since those are left for dead and due to the install user base being so large for the PS2, why release on the PS3 when money is still to be made on the PS2 install base. I really think that they should have releaesd God of War II on the PS3. I could be wrong by saying this, but God of War II would have sold PS3's. There are many fans out there that would have made the jump to the PS3 for this game alone.

I'll upgrade to the Zephyr when my 360 decides to kick the bucket. I'm really hoping that my 360 (****KNOCK ON WOOD****) lasts as I've had numerous freezes the last few days with FN3 and Open Season....ARGH!!!!!!

I think that there are still XBOX1 owners out there that haven't made the jump yet and I bet once Halo 3 releases that many more will finally come on board.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

The PS2 has outsold all 3 next gen consoles since they have been out. Pretty amazing.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
The PS2 has outsold all 3 next gen consoles since they have been out. Pretty amazing.
It says something about next gen doesn't it? It ain't quite there yet as far as mainstream adoption. Give these current next gen consoles about 2 more years to really start kicking in. The cost/fun ratio is just too high to leverage for mainstream.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #44
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
The thing is, though: the Xbox was abandoned. Xbox owners and the Halo faithful should have bought a 360 by now
I don't know about that. I am a current XBOX owner and I am planning to get a 360. Perhaps I am in the minority, but here are my reasons for not getting one yet:
1. I am old. For whatever reason, I am not obsessed with having the latest and greatest.
2. Games on a new console look great but tend to be rushed and a bit thin.
3. Launch consoles are more prone to technical issues.
4. Hoping for a price drop.
5. Desptite leaning towards MS, I did want to see how the PS3 was received by the public before making a purchase.

I wonder if there are many PS2 owners that have waited for the PS3, but might end up going 360 because of the $600 price tag?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I wonder if there are many PS2 owners that have waited for the PS3, but might end up going 360 because of the $600 price tag?
Well maybe when sony starts to wind down the PS2 they'll drop the price of the PS3 to get people to cross over?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #46

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd90XB
I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see the Wii being the front-runner in sales by the end of the year. It's the lowest priced system and you don't need an HDTV. I would say that the vast majority of television owners still own a standard definition TV thus making the market for the Wii much larger.

The 360 and PS3 will see huge growth in 2-4 years with the price of HD TVs coming down and more people making the move to HD.
I agree. If you look at the amount of time each of these systems have been out, the Wii is kicking butt. I mean, the thing shas already sold almost half that of the 360 and it's been out for about a 1/4 of the time the 360 has.

As far as the PS3 goes, I think it's ok. For some reason, a lot of people want that thing to fail, it's sort of funny because a few years ago, everyone hated Microsoft.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #47
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
It says something about next gen doesn't it? It ain't quite there yet as far as mainstream adoption. Give these current next gen consoles about 2 more years to really start kicking in. The cost/fun ratio is just too high to leverage for mainstream.
Yeah, it says I'm not wealthy enough to cough up $400. But I can spare 129.99 for an old PS2. You see those my kids won't know the difference attitudes everywhere.

Not to mention sony has shipped about a billion of those things, because they know, they can't sale those $600 PS3's.

So its not impressive. It makes perfect sense, for those who can't afford a next-gen console. Only hardcore gamers will plurge out the doe for a new console.

Quote:
The thing is, though: the Xbox was abandoned. Xbox owners and the Halo faithful should have bought a 360 by now, especially with the incentive of full Halo 2 support. The 360 doesn't have a large "not now but later" crowd of the previous console, like the PS3 does. PS2 owners have genuine reasons (games) to not have bought a PS3 right away. Final Fantasy, God of War, Guitar Hero II, etc.

People sitting on the fence should've jumped off when Gears of War dropped, and a portion has. Bioshock and Mass Effect look great, but will they have a Gears or Halo-esque impact? I doubt it.
They didn't abandon the Xbox, they made a smart business move, they let go of the past, because they knew the potential of the future.

Sony is only lingering on with the PS2, because they know the downfalls of the PS3.

All the games you mention that Ps2 loyaltist have are all on the 360 soon, except God of War.

360 and Xbox fans aren't mad, that M$ let go of the old Xbox. It was about time, I mean if history shows, consoles only are given 4 to 5 year spans, before the next one is released. They had those years and moved on. I don't see the problem. And I'm happy with 360, even the one that crapped out on me. (thanks intercooler).

One thing I will say about your comment in the previous post. PS3 will never pass M$ in the console wars. 2009 or not. Microsofts lead is enormous and still growing. No matter what sony releases. Most people will not say that one game, justifies $600 Not to mention that majority of their exclusives are multiplatform now.

Last edited by Behindshadows; 02-18-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Shooter, first person shooter, 3rd person shooter (elements), etc, etc.....

Heck somebody just shoot me and get this over with.
Agreed. This is a misconception on some part, but Xbox was known for their FPS/shooters. 360 I hope comes through with lots of variation. So far the best sellers have all been shooters, with the exception of Elder Scrolls. Down the path I see more shooters, as opposed to expanding on to more genres. But I'm not complaining, I love shoot-em-up games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »