Home

Carmack Dishes Dirt on Sony and Microsoft

This is a discussion on Carmack Dishes Dirt on Sony and Microsoft within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Carmack Dishes Dirt on Sony and Microsoft

I love Carmack's honesty and insight. I didn't know that Microsoft charges developers a royalty fee per DVD.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58
Re: Carmack Dishes Dirt on Sony and Microsoft

Carmack is a genius, but a picky one. In his perfect world both the 360 and PS3 would use single core processing with an amazing abundance of RAM and a top of the line GPU. The guy makes many good points though. He pretty much laid out the 360 VS PS3. They are pretty much the same with the PS3 being difficult to develop for.

He touches on one intersting point about Sony going with two Cells and no GPU which is true. It was scrapped because of money issues but if it did happen it would be interesting to see how the PS3 would be right now. I'm sure the developers would hate it three times more.

Either way, both companies have top of the line hardware engineers when it comes to making the consoles. Problem is, both need some software help next generation. Especially Sony. Having this guy help lead design of the next console wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also found it interesting regarding royalties on the DVD for MS and Sony's restrictions on multiplatform releases.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Carmack Dishes Dirt on Sony and Microsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR3
Carmack is a genius, but a picky one. In his perfect world both the 360 and PS3 would use single core processing with an amazing abundance of RAM and a top of the line GPU. The guy makes many good points though. He pretty much laid out the 360 VS PS3. They are pretty much the same with the PS3 being difficult to develop for.

He touches on one intersting point about Sony going with two Cells and no GPU which is true. It was scrapped because of money issues but if it did happen it would be interesting to see how the PS3 would be right now. I'm sure the developers would hate it three times more.

Either way, both companies have top of the line hardware engineers when it comes to making the consoles. Problem is, both need some software help next generation. Especially Sony. Having this guy help lead design of the next console wouldn't be a bad thing.

Also found it interesting regarding royalties on the DVD for MS and Sony's restrictions on multiplatform releases.
Carmack is awesome. This guy just amazes me and always has over the years. The father of Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake has given us some of the best FPS shooters of all-time. Yes, he is one picky bastard. I remember some of the stuff he said during the days when they developed Doom III on the XBOX.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »