Home

Sony losing $40 per PS3 sold?

This is a discussion on Sony losing $40 per PS3 sold? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Sony losing $40 per PS3 sold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
I don't about that. One thing we learned this generation is that you don't mess with a software giant. MS has implemented stuff that the PS3 doesn't have to this day. This is the power of having superior software techs on your side.

I really hope for the PS4 Sony gets software guys to work with the hardware guys instead of like the PS3 where they made the hardware and said here you go, have fun.
I agree here that the 360 has that appeal to a lot because of the smart software decisions they have made in terms of features to the dash/NXE/Live. Where is my darn gamertag Sony and web site like MS has? LOL! I really hope that the next gen of systems are 4-5 years away.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

This is only magnified because Sony is being hit hard by the economy. It's also important to note that Sony currently sells two bundles with a $100 difference in price. Both models are exactly the same, and the extras in the 160 GB version shouldn't cost Sony much at all. So sales of the higher priced bundle should help the losses a bit.

Also, just because Sony currently loses $40 on the ps3 now doesn't mean a price drop can't happen. They may have a hardware revision with cheaper to manufacture parts coming soon to help with costs. Then they could either use that for a price drop or keep the savings. Either way, they will always have to spend many millions on marketing the ps3 globally as well.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #19
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

In all honesty, they should have been nabbing more exclusives. That's the main thing that will drive their system now. M$ is making their move because they're pushing out noticeable and desireable apps which are lacking on the PS3. With the multi-platform stuff, it's a hit or miss as to which system sells more. It's the exclusive stuff that Sony will have to step up their game with. I believe that if they left the BC in their systems, they would have more systems in the consumer's hands. Them taking that out really hurt them more than they expected. As known before, it's what you bring in the software realm that makes the money.

I just hope that SONY brings the noise soon this year. We need more games from their first-party. When does God of War come out? That will definitely push out systems.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I thought this was a known thing when they made the system which is why they pushed the blu-ray so hard

Thats what happens when you include something in a system that could've/should've been optional.
I don't know about this. I feel like Blu-Ray built in to the PS3 played a big role in allowing it to win the format war. On the other hand, look what happened to HD-DVD as an add-on to the 360.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #21
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
In all honesty, they should have been nabbing more exclusives. That's the main thing that will drive their system now. M$ is making their move because they're pushing out noticeable and desireable apps which are lacking on the PS3. With the multi-platform stuff, it's a hit or miss as to which system sells more. It's the exclusive stuff that Sony will have to step up their game with. I believe that if they left the BC in their systems, they would have more systems in the consumer's hands. Them taking that out really hurt them more than they expected. As known before, it's what you bring in the software realm that makes the money.

I just hope that SONY brings the noise soon this year. We need more games from their first-party. When does God of War come out? That will definitely push out systems.
While we all have been saying they should have had more exclusives from 3rd parties, I think that Sony is doing a pretty good job at creating new IP's through their first parties to make up for their losses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
While we all have been saying they should have had more exclusives from 3rd parties, I think that Sony is doing a pretty good job at creating new IP's through their first parties to make up for their losses.
Yeah, I agree completely. Personally, I don't think exclusives are the problem.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfunk880
Yeah, I agree completely. Personally, I don't think exclusives are the problem.
Well, let's put it this way: if GTA and Guitar Hero were still PlayStation exclusive, this would be a true battle.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsX8
I think a $100 price drop could ultimately kill Sony right now with them already losing $40. They should drop it $50 and maybe pack in 2 first party titles that cost them actually nothing. I think they were doing that with a Motorstorm and Resistance pack-in, but can't recall. Just drop the price $50, it may help a tad. I think people want that $199 price drop though.
A PS3 price cut would be the death blow. Sony as a whole is in a world of hurt right now. Exchange rates have put Sony in an unenviable position- back in the 90s the relative strength of the dollar against the Yen helped drive sales of foreign goods in the US- with a stronger Yen, Sony now can't mess around with short-sighted price cuts.

As Altimus said, the benefit of having software guys driving the gaming operations cannot be understated. The next-gen will be very interesting because I'm sure both Sony and Microsoft will try to address the weaknesses of this gen- I'll always take the side with the stronger software pedigree in this battle though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »