Home

Preventing the RRoD?

This is a discussion on Preventing the RRoD? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #25
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Preventing the RRoD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Well Bk that makes no sense, what is the purpose of putting USB connectors if you can't use them???

This is just common sense speaking lol
where did I say you couldn't? I'm even using 3 of the 4 on my 360. I said that the laptop cooler is likely ineffective because the 360's air vents aren't made to benefit from something like this.

Also, MS didn't like the intercoolers. They passed through the 360's power cord, which caused problems. They even ask if you used them when you call for a RROD. New 3rd party fans run off USB, which uses less power...and kind of defeats the purpose of having one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

thanks for all the information...i only asked, because like i said, the official xbox magazine (mail / letters section) showed this very thing as a viable option to helping keep the 360 cool.

i'm no expert in this stuff and am on my 2nd one...i'm under warranty for another 11 months, and i take GREAT care of my video games & the like, and was just curious about this item...if they thought it was a good idea in the magazine i only wondered what people here thought (whose opinions i highly value). thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #27
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

Personally I think the laptop coolers are bunk for this, as long as your systems isn't closed up in a box and you give room for air to circulate naturally it will be fine as far as heat is concerned. There's nothing wrong with using one, if it makes you feel better it's your money, I just don't think it will help anything.

RROD isn't really from heat, it's from bad mechanical (heatsink clamp) design and bad manufacturing. It's exacerbated by heat, but it's not a case of cooling the system down a couple of degrees celcius eliminating the issue, the system is going to heat and expand/contract no matter what you do.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 22

Get a laptop cooling pad...not the ones with usb power but the pads that are powered by plugging into the wall.....i recommended this to 3 of my friends and they havent had a rrod for over 2 years now with their same systems...

Here's an idea of what i mean http://images.google.com/images?q=la...N&hl=en&tab=wi
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #29
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

My 3rd system. I hadn't played my Xbox 360 in literally 4 weeks. I turn it on and get the freaking RROD.

Before that I'd had been gaming on it maybe a couple hours a week for the past year. Mainly XBLA titles. Which is why it drove me nuts even more. I rarely had the DVD drive spinning to create the extra heat and after the NXE I install my games to the HD.

There's really nothing you can do, but pray that your system is nice.

I truly believe that every system them make will break at some point.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
All Star

bkfount's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
My 3rd system. I hadn't played my Xbox 360 in literally 4 weeks. I turn it on and get the freaking RROD.

Before that I'd had been gaming on it maybe a couple hours a week for the past year. Mainly XBLA titles. Which is why it drove me nuts even more. I rarely had the DVD drive spinning to create the extra heat and after the NXE I install my games to the HD.

There's really nothing you can do, but pray that your system is nice.

I truly believe that every system them make will break at some point.
that's maybe true about the 360's made from launch to like 2007. There's been plenty of internal changes to the 360 to fix this, and the risk of RROD has dropped dramatically.

That's why I sold the refurbished 360 MS sent me after my last RROD, since it's a joke to send people consoles that were originally manufactured in 2006.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #31
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

BK,

It doesn't appear to have dropped of that much. It's still way above the XBOX and PS2 death rates.

You've got people online that have already posted videos of their Jaspers having a RROD. You can find forums with people talking about their newer systems dying.

Some people are going to have the luck of their systems not dying. The problem is that too many people are having above average deaths on their systems.

I remember being here 5yrs ago and it would be maybe 5-6 times a year someone would say, "My XBOX died" or "My PS2 Died." With the PS3 and 360 we see at least 2-3 systems per week dying on guys. It's horrible.

MS has their 3yr policy, which is nice to have, for a reason. They haven't lifted the RROD or this new error E47 from the newer models for a reason. The case design of the 360 was AWFUL for proper cooling of the system. It looks great and all, but I'd take an ugly looking case with proper cooling and a properly done mother board (aka the X-Clamp) over what's been done.

*shrugs*
It sucks and I have zero confidence in the hardware of this generation.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »