Home

Rumor: Xbox Natal is Actually Microsoft's Next Console

This is a discussion on Rumor: Xbox Natal is Actually Microsoft's Next Console within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28
Rumor: Xbox Natal is Actually Microsoft's Next Console

1UP

Quote:
Earlier this week gaming blog Kotaku quoted Microsoft's Shane Kim as saying that the launch of Natal, Microsoft's new controller-free motion control technology, would be as big as the launch of a console. Not surprising. That's because Natal is going to be a new console.

On this week's Listen Up podcast we discussed Natal, and David Ellis and I talked about what we've been hearing regarding the new technology -- and how it's actually the cornerstone of Microsoft's next evolution of the Xbox. Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console.

Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology. Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle. Similar to what we see in the PC space, games played on the more advanced Xbox would look or perform better, but publishers will still be able to support owners of both systems. Some developers have complained that they've already maxed out the Xbox 360; perhaps this will give them room to expand.

Make no mistake, we wouldn't be talking about the sort of hardware leap we've seen with Xbox (or most other) platforms in the past, and we're not talking about Microsoft ending one console cycle and starting another. We're talking about an evolution of the Xbox 360; similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded. It's actually not that unlike what Nintendo did with the Wii, where it essentially took the GameCube hardware, stuck in motion controls, and successfully relaunched it. The new Xbox console is said to be aimed directly at a mainstream audience -- and will launch before Nintendo is able to release its Wii HD.

What's interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are on a course to deliver very similar products yet are coming at them from opposite directions. Microsoft currently has the HD hardware and will in the future introduce motion controls, while Nintendo has motion controls and will in the future introduce HD hardware. Sony's PS3 will also be providing motion controls next year, though as a peripheral for its EyeToy camera.

As John Davison pointed out on the podcast, the Wii was the first console to do this, but it's likely that all future hardware will be more iterative than substantive. The distinction between new consoles will become far less marked -- similar to what we've seen in the handheld space, such as with the transitions from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, the DS to the DSi, or the PSP to the PSP Go.

So when would we first hear about this new Xbox console? Our sources point to next year's Game Developer's Conference as the target for its unveiling and Fall 2010 as the target for release.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Rumor: Xbox Natal is Actually Microsoft's Next Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless
new console, stupid if you ask me,
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 06-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

5 year cycle..Not suprised.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 06-13-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
5 year cycle..Not suprised.
kind of odd though, especially since Microsoft has been pretty adamant about a 10 year xbox life cycle. Personally I would not be surprised to see Microsoft move up that cycle to about 8 years and just have the Next xbox w/ Natal be a full fledged upgrade.

Now a slightly upgraded Xbox could prove to be a good idea since the Xbox is built pretty soundly with the exception of the Ram, which is far too low. A upgraded Xbox that is architecturally similar to the Xbox 360 would allow game developers to hit the ground running when it comes to early games instead of seeing that gradual drift in quality towards the end of the console's life.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #5
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Hopefully this is just wild internet speculation running wild. It's much more conceivable that they will release a cheaper slim arcade model with Natal built in, for the same price as a wii. This still allows them to market it as new for the wii crowd, but allows MS to keep on rolling with the current 360 users who can pick up Natal as an addon.

Otherwise, I'm done with MS if they roll out a whole new console. I've had five 360's die on me since february 2007, and I'm currently playing on an arcade model I got off ebay because MS kept sending me back refurbished consoles made in 2006. Yet, I'd still be more pissed off if this is true. They jumped off the xbox early, and now possibly this. Awful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Interesting. If the new/next 360 is like the 360 but has improved graphics it will be interesting to see how that translates to games? With a bigger window you know developers will want to push the hardware but at the same how will that transfer to the less graphical 360s? Will they just port down and decrease textures and what not?

Should be interesting, next year is too soon for anything major.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
Interesting. If the new/next 360 is like the 360 but has improved graphics it will be interesting to see how that translates to games? With a bigger window you know developers will want to push the hardware but at the same how will that transfer to the less graphical 360s? Will they just port down and decrease textures and what not?
Consoles aren't meant to be like PC gaming. While most PC games work with all kinds of different hardware by decreasing graphics and resolution, it'll be like the N64 when it came out with the expansion pack. Games built for it had better graphics or more content, and if you didn't have it, too bad for you. Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, and a few more actually required the extra hardware. It splinters the users and developers have to pick which one to develop for.

As for next year being early, it is, but that doesn't mean MS won't do it. MS has to have planned a slim at some point, as it reduces the cost of manufacturing the console. The 360 may have another small price drop this year, and anything with Natal won't be out until late 2010. So I could see them putting it out for the price of a wii.

Last edited by bkfount; 06-13-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
It'll be like the N64 when it came out with the expansion pack. Games built for it had better graphics or more content, and if you didn't have it, too bad for you. Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, and a few more actually required the extra hardware. It splinters the users and developers have to pick which one to develop for.

As for next year being early, it is, but that doesn't mean MS won't do it. MS has to have planned a slim at some point, as it reduces the cost of manufacturing the console. The 360 may have another small price drop this year, and anything with Natal won't be out until late 2010. So I could see them putting it out for the price of a wii.
I'm never buying anything slim. I learned my lesson with the slim PS2. Before the slim I had 0 problems and I got the slim because of the cool factor. I ended up going through three slims before going back to the big one.

And MS can't even make a normal console work, I wouldn't surprise if the slim blew up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »