Home

Just got an HDTV, what do I need to get my 360 running?

This is a discussion on Just got an HDTV, what do I need to get my 360 running? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Just got an HDTV, what do I need to get my 360 running?

DJ, if you are looking for an affordable HD package - Dishnetwork has a TurboHD package that has 60 HD channels for $20/mo. for 6 mo and $40/mo after that with 5/mo added in for HD local channels. It isn't far and away better than DirecTV's offer, but the post-promotion rate is far more affordable than DirecTV's $60/mo.

I just tried setting up Dishnetwork at my new APT but I couldn't get a clear view of the southern sky. Either way, I put good time into researching HD packages, and I felt that one was the best. I think it did have a 2 year commitment. Also, they offered Showtime for a year for a penny... I would've really liked that too.

Do you guys have any opinions on HD Cable through Comcast? It's my only option. They have a $30/mo option for a year for basic cable and I THINK I can simply add on the $7/mo for HD and probably $5/mo for renting the HD box. Is there any way to get around using the HD box? Do you think they'll allow their promotion to be used with an HD subscription?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Thanks for the advice on dealing with DirecTV, guys. I called today and got them to give me free installation and a $100 credit for the HD DVR receiver, so the total bill for upgrading is less than $100, which, I think, is a reasonable price and then it's just an extra $10/month on my bill for the HD channels.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Good deal. You pretty much have to threaten to go to Dish or cable for them to offer you a decent deal.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordcledus
You will have to buy a component cable then. I bought a core when they first came out because that's all the stores had. I went to Gamestop and bought a Madcatz brand cable. It was much cheaper in price than the official Xbox one. http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_id=33927

The link is for the one I bought.
I use these as well too. No need to change the channel and use up the other sets of hookups.

They work fine and I leave mine hooked up to each system.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktnuri
I use these as well too. No need to change the channel and use up the other sets of hookups.

They work fine and I leave mine hooked up to each system.
I thought it said to only have the cables hooked up to one system at a time otherwise it can cause black lines or something on the TV? Or was it you can't have 2 systems ON at the same time?
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
I thought it said to only have the cables hooked up to one system at a time otherwise it can cause black lines or something on the TV? Or was it you can't have 2 systems ON at the same time?
Do you have an LCD HDTV? You should no be undoing cables, once they are set leave them. It really shouldn't matter about having 2 systems on at once b/c most LCD HDTVs have picture in picture and picture by picture....which means 2 sytems/inputs working at the same time. Back when I had my Vizio LCD I could be watching a movie on the HD-DVD player on half the screen while playing the 360 on the other half.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #31
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEC0CK2002
Do you have an LCD HDTV? You should no be undoing cables, once they are set leave them. It really shouldn't matter about having 2 systems on at once b/c most LCD HDTVs have picture in picture and picture by picture....which means 2 sytems/inputs working at the same time. Back when I had my Vizio LCD I could be watching a movie on the HD-DVD player on half the screen while playing the 360 on the other half.
Yes, it's an LCD HDTV. I was talking about the plugs that go directly into the 360, PS2 etc. I don't touch the cables connected to the back of the TV. The component cables' instruction manual says to only have 1 console connected at a time.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #32
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Yes, it's an LCD HDTV. I was talking about the plugs that go directly into the 360, PS2 etc. I don't touch the cables connected to the back of the TV. The component cables' instruction manual says to only have 1 console connected at a time.
Not sure if I'm understanding your question. Yes, you can only be using the component cable on 1 device at a time (all 5 plugs must be into the same device unless sending the audio to a receiver). But that doesn't mean you can't have 2 separate component cables completely hooked up at the same time though.

Last edited by GAMEC0CK2002; 08-06-2009 at 05:37 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »