Home

360 MS HDMI kit alternative

This is a discussion on 360 MS HDMI kit alternative within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Icon5 360 MS HDMI kit alternative

Hello all!

My lady & I recently got a 2nd HDTV & wanted to hook up our 2nd 360 to it. Is there a different alternative for setting up an HDMI hookup without having to purchase the official MS kit?
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hdmiavcable/

I know all HDMI cables are basically the same thing so I was wondering if there was any way I could hook up my system without shelling out $50 for MS's version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: 360 MS HDMI kit alternative

From a reviewer on http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...=operasport-20:

Quote:
Originally Posted by primebigtime
I'm sure people have already explained this, but the purpose of the adapter is to allow you to run your audio through the RCA connections or through optical audio rather than HDMI. The reason that is important is because some people may not have receivers (like me) that accept HDMI audio signals but do accept RCA and/or optical inputs. My TV, however, accepts HDMI, and since I want to use the HDMI for video but my receiver for audio, the only way to split the audio feed out of the HDMI connection is to get this cable. This is because Microsoft decided to place the HDMI port on the back of the Xbox (I have the arcade version) so close to the other video/audio outputs that the dongle for the component video/audit actually BLOCKS the HDMI port. That disallows you from running an HDMI cable for video while using the shipped dongle for optical audio (as I need). I hope this makes sense.

The dongle you are buying simply extends your audio outputs so that you are not blocking your HDMI port. Simple, and stupid, because if they just redesigned their cables in the first place they wouldn't need to sell this accessory.

Finally, why is this a ripoff? Because they package an HDMI cable with it. Most of us already have HDMI cables, or we want an HDMI cable longer than the 6 ft. cable in this package, so we are now forced to pay an inflated price because they are giving us an extra HDMI cable.

Do yourself a favor and get the audio dongle from this package separately, which you can do on eBay for about $3.00. Yes, $3.00. Then do yourself another favor and buy a 10 ft. HDMI cable for about $10. Since HDMI is digital, you do NOT need to invest in an expensive cable. All HDMI cables are the same. Gold-plating means nothing and simply inflates prices and confuses consumers.

In any case, I had to buy this cable because I live in Japan and I really wanted to use the HDMI port but I did not have access to eBay to get the $3 cable. So I blew $50 just because I couldn't physically get to the HDMI port and Audio ports on my xbox at the same time. Ridiculous
You can find the HDMI cable for cheaper than 10 bucks too. I bought one from Amazon last week that cane to about 5 bucks with S&H.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Last edited by trobinson97; 09-03-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Hello all!

My lady & I recently got a 2nd HDTV & wanted to hook up our 2nd 360 to it. Is there a different alternative for setting up an HDMI hookup without having to purchase the official MS kit?
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x...60hdmiavcable/

I know all HDMI cables are basically the same thing so I was wondering if there was any way I could hook up my system without shelling out $50 for MS's version.
All you need is an HDMI Cable. No need to get anything else. Now if your gonna run the 360 into a HT reciever that doesn't offer HDMI then your gonna need the MS Kit
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

Thank you thank you fellas! After I posted my thread I went to the back of my 360 and unplugged the sound cable. I never realized that the HDMI cable included the sound & video, so that answered that for me. But yeah, definitely gonna go out and get some cheapos for my 360 & cable boxes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »